GUARDIAN BUILDING PRODUCTS Employee Reviews

Excellant company. Hated to leave!
Inventory Maintence Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greer, SCSeptember 21, 2012
I was hired into one department, but was soon offered a new position in another department that offered much more challenge and advancement opportunity. The benefits were great. There was opportunity for travel if you wanted to do that. The management was great and very mindful of the employee work and home life balance. For example, when a coworker wanted to have lunch or attend a school function during business hours accomodations were made with no problem. I hated to leave the company, but personal circumstances made it necessary to move.
A Challenging and Rewarding Company!
Training & Effectiveness Manager (Current Employee) –  Greer, SCMay 14, 2014
Guardian Building Products has undergone a massive culture evolution. This on-going change has been in the works for over 24 months, and with it our employees have grown tremendously.

From a dedicated focus on employee development and performance management, to a total leadership change, Guardian Building Products continues to redefine itself.

Many employees have struggled with the levels of ambiguity that the new culture calls for, but those embracing the changes have thrived.
Pros
teamwork, work/life balance, growth opportunities
It was a very stable and secure position with all you could ever ask for being an administrative assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTMay 19, 2014
I enjoyed all the co-workers and management. It was great to be able to have the opportunity to coordinate a lot of the meetings and training and orientation on the new employees coming into a position within the company. I learned new things and brushed up on some old things as well to better my performance and strategies moving forward.
Pros
sick/vac, 401k, medical benefits, vacation, great people to work for
Cons
pay scale was too low
Guardian Building Products was a good company to work for.
Senior Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Greer, SCJune 6, 2012
I was employed at GBP for 26+ years, therefore, I am still loyal to this company.
I sold Building Material products to independent lumber yards across the United States. I felt like I was an extension of their personal companies. Selling products to my customers to keep them competitive in their specific market. I built long lasting trusting relationships with my customers.
I have an outgoing personality with a can do attitude. I work well with others and alone.
Great company to work for Family Oreinted.
Truck Driver/ Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 8, 2012
Work could be hard at times during production,I've learned how to operate a forklift,clamp,band saw,and production of fiberglass.
Pros
great place to work with great benefits!
Cons
guardian building products, any jobs that are have to deal with building in this economy right now, take a risk at getting laid off, but very thankful for the opportunity that was given at that time!
Goal
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXOctober 28, 2013
This is a company/organization that I knew nothing on or about until I made it a person goal to learned everything we provided and offered in the warehouse. After meeting my goal it was noticeable that I exceeded the management’s expectations. End result, I was offered to be one of the two inside sales reps that helped open a new branch location. In which ended up being very successful.
Pros
self accomplishment
While at one time Guardian seemed like a very strong company they have let it slide so much as a result of inadaptability to change.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Delta, BCDecember 8, 2014
A fall in adaptability has effected this company's ability to move on with the times. While they were once a strong Distribution Company for building materials they have fallen victim to changes in competition as well as Manufacturing costs.
Out of Touch
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 13, 2012
Guardian Building Products is an antiquated company. It has old, ineffective office machine to work with. The manufacturing equipment in my particular plant was used & falling apart, yet they wouldn't replace it. Management was outdated. Our sales people didn't even have smart phones until this year!
Pros
casual work environment
Cons
old, outdated office equipment & way of thinking
High Production
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Blackhawk, SDJanuary 31, 2014
I didn't work here very long due to it being a temporary job. I liked that I gained some experience in machine operating. I only worked with one other person for most of the day. I also learned how to operate a forklift here and how do load and unload semi's.
Pros
gaining machine operating experience.
Cons
it was really itchy due to the fiberglass in the insulation.
enjoyed my time here off and on
Hot-end Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingman, AZJuly 4, 2014
Always large turn overs in management. Not very good with employee training and communication. In five years I worked for four plant managers. The plant was very by the seat of your pants management style. Not much into the teams or thinking outside the box.
Pros
benfits where ok
Cons
pay could have been better
Great Company
sales (Former Employee) –  Greer, SCSeptember 25, 2014
Fun co workers, good atmosphere training program for new hires enabled getting started with your customers quickly. Good product mix and best in class pricing allowed Guardian to dominate their market.
Pros
excellent compensation package
Cons
management liked to party after work w staff
Very Productive Place to work
Lead Operator/Shipping & Receiving (Former Employee) –  Hodges, SCOctober 2, 2012
Guardian and okay place to work i started off as being a floater. By the time they had they first lay-off i had became a lead Machine Operator, then i move to a material handler. We made insulation and also made decking wood.
No loyalty to employees
Manager, Billing and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greer, SCOctober 20, 2013
New management does not really value front line employees. They are ruining what was a great place to work.
Pros
health care cost is low
Cons
upper management lets you know they are better than you.
fragmented company
employee (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 1, 2015
Building products division was not respected in the company. Systems in place did not allow for visibility and transparency with in the entire organization.
Pros
allowed to work without supervision
Cons
management
I gained alot of machine operating skills on different machines.
Warehouse Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOSeptember 14, 2014
Overall a good place to work. I learned alot with shipping and recieving as well as machine operating and forklift certified on evrything.
Great Company and Headed in an exciting and new direction
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  IowaApril 29, 2015
Guardian is a great company that is headed in a new direction with new and exciting leadership. There is much work to do but the future looks bright>
Lack of vision or direction
Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 12, 2014
At the top you have leaders who have not created a vision or direction for the company. Employees spend their time reacting to the priority of the day and very little is communicated downward.
In need of technical people.
Facility Engineer / Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Hodges, SCMay 18, 2012
Very little direction. Equipment is somewhat poorly designed by in-house employees.
Company has a fly by the seat of the pants feel.
Has a family atmosphere
Branch Manager/Operations Manager/ (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 31, 2015
Would work for them again, had a fun time in Seattle operating that branch and working with my employees, also the customers.
Kool place
LEAD OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAFebruary 19, 2015
I enjoyed my time there, the coworkers really made it fun. management was ok. breaks were sometime interrupted due to short staffed
Pros
coworkers
Cons
short breaks