Guardian Protection Services Employee Reviews

Promise one thing but deliver another
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cranberry, PAJune 18, 2014
This company promises that they do not have a high attrition rate for employees, whether it is because they quit or they are fired. However, they have a tendency to let people go at the 90 day mark because they do not have to count that into their attrition rate. The do have good benefits and moderate pay from day one, however, there is almost no room for advancement. You are micromanaged to the point that they need to know how many times a day you use the restroom and how many minutes it takes you. Their workload is much higher than they tell you during training. The troubleshooting they have you do is not that in-depth because most of it is about scheduling a technician. The entire job culture is run almost like a cult and if you don't drink the cool-aid then you are singled out and fired. They are continually looking for reasons to get rid of people and went so far as to fire a woman for not disclosing that she was pregnant when she was hired (which is not their business anyway), to fire a different woman for not being able to work on Sundays because of her religious commitments, and to fire a guy because he had to leave work due to a medical emergency with his wife (and I knew for a fact this guy had not called off once). Additionally, they promise to accommodate any schedule conflicts but instead they only work off a seniority based system for scheduling.
Pros
moderate pay and good benefits
Cons
micromanaged, misdirected, overmanagement, high stress, incredibly high workload, undertraining, constant policy changes, policys put in place that are not anywhere to be found.
Sounds great but it's not
Life Safety Consultant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 27, 2013
I put my all into this job to try and make it work like it was my own business. After a year, I had it because I wasn't making enough money to pay my bills. There is constant pressure, bordering on harassment about sales activity. I often felt disrespected and diminished. The managers look out for their best interest and have their "favorites" that they take care of.

The company was very misleading about many things including the number of leads available, the compensation plan and the amount of driving to cover sales leads. The first six months you receive training pay and then it's straight commission along with a monthly performance bonus that is tied to the amount of self-generated sales you have. It is a convoluted compensation plan with so many variables.

The security business is very competitive. Therefore, sales were often lost to a competitor simply because Guardian products are limited to just G.E.
Pros
benefits on the first day of employment
Cons
poor compensation plan - no base salary, micromanaging your time, limited security products to sell - not competitive.
No stars
customer service (Former Employee) –  warrendale paApril 16, 2015
I was hired at this company after being a very good employee with a major company for 12 years. Training was horrible and they threw you out on the floor without help. Most people there gave you an attitude and weren't willing to help you. They would say look it up. We were discouraged from talking, standing or doing anything but looking up your own answers. When I was hired they told me I had 2 weeks of vacation and 5 sick days. They said it started right away. I went 60 days before I went in and scheduled 2 days vacation which they approved right away. Then I took a sick day I was called into the office and was told this would greatly affect my 90 day review which they didn't even tell me I had. I said well you approved 2 days and they said approved or not it would affect my review. Well I didn't take anymore time of and went another 30 days doing my job. I was called in for my 90 day review and was fired. I was blindsided because if you knew that would happen at 60 days why didn't you fire me then? I was blindsided and so were many other people!
Pros
A job with a lot of technical aspects which made it interesting and informative.
Customer Service/ Data Entry/ Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Warrendale, PAMarch 31, 2015
A typical day at work would be sitting in my cubicle taking calls from customers to troubleshoot their security systems. Calls ranged from simple solutions to complex issues which sometimes required a service call. Contract negotiations were a part of the job as well.

I learned how to quickly navigate the online manuals while talking to customers on the phone at the same time. My typing skills also increased at this job as well.

Management was not very visible. We were, for the most part, left to do our jobs as independently as possible.

I had little interaction with my co-workers due to the nature of the work.

The hardest part of the job was having to keep customers on hold while trying to reach a technician.

The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers.
Pros
Comfortable workplace
Cons
Lack of guidance from supervisors
No standards
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 16, 2014
At first, I was proud to be a tech for this company. I very quickly worked my way up the ladder. I thoroughly enjoyed dealing with customers and providing them with a quality service. However, in recent years the high standards the company once held have fallen to an embarrassing level. It became the norm to expect serious tech errors on every job. Most management is disconnected and delusional about the daily operations. Those that actually care are quickly forced out or silenced. New policies are implemented by management and then never followed. It is no longer about producing a high quality product and service, it's about producing high numbers with no quality. The lack of communication between departments is astounding and almost comical.
Pros
wages benefits co-workers
Cons
management, lack of communication, no direction, no quality control
workday
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  mcallen,TXJuly 17, 2013
Walk school grounds to secure doors to ensure the safety of staff and students. Also work was a crossing guard to help students and staff, cross streets safely by directing traffic. I address concerns from parents and staff in regards to the safety of the school and dress code. Walk school campus to verify that the students are complying with the district’s dress code. I am entrusted by teacher to monitor their class when they need step out of the classroom. Work football games and assist in any issues that may arise between the fans or the football players. Communicate with local police department the event of a physical altercation between students. Report incident and issues to the principal.
A sociopathic company berift of integrity and customer safety is routinely disdained.
worker (Former Employee) –  texasJanuary 7, 2015
In Texas there is a culture in management and most employees here only care about their own well being. Disfunction is a way of life.Customer safety is secondary to getting to the next job.The fox guards the henhouse.The Techs are ignorant of professionalism and would not be employed anywhere else.If you are socipathic and think customers are something to wipe yourselves with then this is the place for you. At Guardian in Texas Ignorance and butchery has become an art form.Customers for your own safety avoid this charade and go anywhere else.
Pros
none in texas
Cons
lack of pride in work, shortcuts are the norm, sociopathic methodolgy
Don't waste your time
sales (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 8, 2013
Very difficult to do sales for a company that has no brand recognition cause they refuse to do any advertising. They are overpriced and not competitive enouOh and good luck dealing with the install manager. Very unhelpful. Not to mention the management in the Tampa FL branch is very poor. Literally ueducated people running the office and that should say it all. How can you take a company seriously that is a national corporation and their managers have no college degrees making generous salaries and know absolutely nothing about business or sales? You will only receive a salary for 6 months and then you go to commission only. They have a huge turnover with sales reps.
benefits
Cons
everything else
Challenging and Exciting
Customer Loyalty Specialist (Current Employee) –  Warrendale, PAFebruary 1, 2015
As a Loyalty Specialist I get to be directly helpful to the customer and creative as well. Based off of their needs as well as their budget I help find solutions to keep them satisfied, feeling safe and maintain a continued trust in Guardian Protection Services. In these negotiations with the customer I also balance the needed RMR to maintain a successful growth trajectory for Guardian. Although the overall scope of calls can be from the easily to solve to the more complex and challenging I like knowing my direct contact and helpful resolutions directly result in someone’s life and property being that much more protected.
Pros
great team atmosphere
Cons
1/2 hour lunch
Overall Guardian Experience
Account Executive- Relocation Division (Current Employee) –  Warrendale, PAApril 29, 2015
Guardian Protection services has been a very productive and enjoyable place to work for the past three years. I have been in sales, ,marketing and customer service for over years and would recommend the company to anyone.

My day consists of out bound and in bound calling for leads and continuing the sales process, training new employees, scoring 95% or higher on all quality assurance calls.

My co workers are overall a pleasure to work with and help to make the team environment which is very important in the overall sales process to work not only within your team but within all departments of Guardian
No Advancement - Terrible Local Management
Technician (Current Employee) –  West Chester, OHJune 1, 2015
I would not recommend this employer to anyone hoping to secure a full time position that will reward them based on their performance and skills. Management is terrible at the local Branch in Cincinnati. There is massive turnover with the staff due to this. They will not promote their Admin Staff and treat them like servants - expected to just do whatever with no consideration to their goals - career - etc.

Techs have to deal with inconsistent work - no training - poor supervision - don't waste your time thinking they will take care of you as an employee!!
Pros
Normal Work Day
Cons
NO TRAINING
Life Safety is the top priority!
Corporate Trainer (Current Employee) –  Warrendale, PAApril 22, 2013
I truly enjoy working for a company that I know I made a difference in someone’s life. With over 60+ years in the life safety industry, Guardian Protection Services puts the customer first. I am the first impression of the company to the trainees. I work with the trainees for 3 months to develop them into an excellent Customer Service Rep! Friendly and encouraging environment, I love cheering on the trainees and glad to have a part of their success!
Pros
friendly, activites to build teamwork
Cons
poor vaction time, overtime required without compensation, poor benefits
Good place to work - has popcorn machine
Dispatcher/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Warrendale, PAJuly 20, 2014
Guardian Protection is a decent place to work. A typical day at work is to go in put on your headset and call out on all alarms that come in. Some days are extremely busy and your day is over before you know it. I learned phone etiquette, patience and how to be a leader. i get along with my co-workers and management. The hardest part of the job for me is dealing with angry customers on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you know that you were able to help someone in a bad situation.
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
not enough communication between departments
Overall good company!
Associate Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Warrendale, PAJune 14, 2015
The 25 cent Pepsis and free popcorn was always fun!
Abundant Overtime!
The hardest part of the job was not knowing exactly what type of phone call you are going to get....troubleshooting, service call scheduling or no show, billing, moves/relocations, cancelations, zwave devices, etc.etc.etc......but then, that's every customer service job, I guess.
Pros
Trainers are THE best! Team Leaders, and Mentors are okay, too!
Cons
At the end, other employees wouldn't let me do OT or sit there!
Great
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 9, 2014
Service Technician – Installing security, audio, and video systems which consists of running coax cable, CAT 5, and other various communication cables; Trim outs which consists of terminating and programming all intelligent devices; Activations which requires communicating with customer and placing security systems online; Audio consists of all standard speaker packages and lyric systems; Video consists of all types of in residence cameras.
Commercial Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 26, 2015
Identified revenue opportunities with both existing and new clients while managing a sales team to establish new business for government, commercial, and new construction accounts, generating sales and increasing company revenue through account verticals.
productive and flexible schedule
Life Safety Consultant (Former Employee) –  orlando flMay 28, 2012
I pass out flyers knock on doors go to businesses and let them know about our promotions. I learned a lot about life safety. the managers were helpful. My co-workers were very friendly. The hardest part of my job was too much driving i spend at least $75 on gas every two days. The most enjoyable part was the fact that i can drop off and pick up my kids from school.
Pros
gas money
Cons
healthcare
Lateral growth seems to be the norm
Commercial Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Warrendale, PAAugust 29, 2015
Although I gained a lot of solid people skills working here, I felt that that advancement for most employees was on a very lateral basis. Raises were often not based on work performance at all. How can you expect those who really go above and beyond to thrive when they are being awarded the same way as those to do the bare minimum?
poor management
mgr (Former Employee) –  cranberry twp paMarch 19, 2013
management lies alot..too many back stabbing..don't work for this company..you will be.lied to. Not family friendly...was forced take
Down religious calendar.. forced to work overtime and not paid for sent home early. So that they didnt pay overtime..hr department is a joke don't. Do anything about it. Do yourself a huge favor keep looking..
Cons
company shouldn't be in business.
Fast paced environment run by very professional folks
Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  West Chester, OHMay 27, 2014
Excellent company to work for! Great training programs for the employees. Management is easy to work with if you do your job correctly and keep the customer happy. Very drama free environment as well.
Pros
use of a company van to and from your home.
Cons
some late hours. no two installs are ever the same.