Guardian Security Services Employee Reviews

good place to work.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIAugust 3, 2017
working security, its hard to balance work/family time, that was hardest. the pay could have been better for the hours i put in. management was pretty good, willing to try and work with us officers. It was a diverse cultured environment, which was good/bad, good to meet new people and learn little of thier culture, bad because sometimes they were hard to understand spoken language, so I had some write things down, if they could write ok english.
Pros
good accommodation for disabilities, good people for most part, management willing to try work with officers on issues, hours were plentiful.
Cons
sometimes hard to balance work/family due to long hours.
best job I ever had!
Guard (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIAugust 2, 2017
I'm currently still working here but I would recommend this job if you're a really patient person, far as on your feet and sitting for periods of time.
Not a bad place to work, just need better pay
Security officer (Former Employee) –  Alsip, ILJune 11, 2017
I worked at a downtown location and the client was very nice. However, at times management would pop up and do uniform checks and one time told me my finger nails needed to be cut. I was mad after that and wanted to move on.
Break room
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 25, 2017
the break rooms have free coffee, and Wi-fi. I believe if they would put more entertainment in the break room like pool tables or ping pong tables would make break time more enjoyable.
Pros
free lunches, chances to win giftcards
Cons
the pay is to low
alot of chances for overtime
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Portage, MIApril 25, 2017
gained a lot of training on computers and surveillance work, management was very fair for the most part. They didn't check on the employees much which wasn't good for the employees who were bad workers, they never got caught doing bad work, the good workers were very frustrated, and got over worked a lot, the bad workers didn't do their jobs, and didn't dress for the job, showed no respect to the site, the boss, or their self's, which was very disrespectful.
Pros
good hourly pay, lots of overtime
Cons
no benifits, no raisis
You learn to observe and response to acitivy
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2017
You learn to observe, interpret a persons behavior and anticipate what actions are necessary to alleviate a problem situation. To provide security of persons and property.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
late night tours
Not a healthy workplace
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 25, 2017
There is an adversarial divisive culture where employees are encouraged to undermine each other for the unfulfilled promise of monetary reward. Unfulfilled promises of financial gain.
Pros
Employment
Cons
Toxic work reationship
great company job security
Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 23, 2016
This company is great they look out for employees that do there job I have no complaints I've been with guardian 2 years and I have job security as a officer I will see other officers calling off on short notices and wanting a schedule that fits there needs personally I feel this company is the best security company I've worked for better than allied Barton
Pros
life balance flexible
Cons
benefits and union
Terrible place to work!! Stay away!!
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2016
The entire management staff needs to be replaced. I don't even know how they even stay in business! ! Poor communication skills and completely out of touch with their employees. They only reward the bad employees. If you are dishonest and shady you will be promoted! !Beware of GUARDIAN security services! !
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
A bunch of liars!!
Terrible company to work for.
Armed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAJune 22, 2016
The company does not care about its employees. The hours fluctuate severely and the pay is not in line with similar security jobs.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Terrible company to work for.
Stay AWAY. Horrible.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJune 6, 2016
After 2 years here I realized this company has many SHADY Practices that would feel borderline Illegal but their a private company. Here goes.

1st things 1st. In order to even begin orientation you must have business clothes on and a fresh shave only to sit around for a few hours and then change into your uniform. You pay for uniform fees out of your own pay check. After 2 shirts, 2 pants, 1 belt, 1 jacket, your badge its clothes to $330. You only get $50 back for the plastic badge and get to keep the uniforms and jacket after you rip the patches off.

Once your through orientation they'll call you with you future site location. My site has had a constant turnover. Since I started about 20 people have quit or been removed. The training was good at my site, but now not so good due to the fact they have us stretched so thin we can't train new hires properly. Management doesnt care either, they just want the hrs filled.

They don't promote within or even tell employees there are openings for higher positions at different locations such as supervisor, site supervisors, or even field supervisors. You basically have to either get it from here or call management. Once that happens you have to apply for the position and interview for it even if its at the site you've already been working at.

When you call the office to talk to operations managers or even general managers they're either not in the office or just don't answer or call back. They DO NOT offer raises at all period to any of the security officers unless you get promoted. There's a guy at my site who's been with
  more... the company 4 years and has never seen a penny raise.

I work at a site that is federally regulated by atleast 2 agencies, yet we make the company standard of $11, $12, and $15. While the company we work for is paying Guardian $17, $18, and $21. They allow the client to stretch us thin and overload our duties without any real benefit to us the employees.

For every 5 employees they hire 2 of them are decent employees. They won't remove problem employees even by client request because they don't want to pay the overtime, which realistically is the only money making benefit to the employees.

They won't give pay stubs unless you give them stamps and envelopes. They will allow employees to violate Illinois state law of 1 day rest in 7. There's been instances where employees have worked 10 days, 12 days, or even 95 days straight without a single day off.

The benefits are completely unaffordable.

While working as I've said before Management will allow the client to completely over due the duties stretching thin the officers. Outside of that a normal is just that nothing special. You come in do your work and leave.

Getting days off is generally easy if you don't mind losing money.

They pay rates based on where your scheduled. If your a supervisor not scheduled in that role they'll only pay you the minimum of $11.

The company literally does everything it can to cut costs and corners leaving the employees to suffer. The Managers hardly know anything about the sites or the staff there. We sent them an email asking for a raise and they ignored it like it never happened.

All in all this is a terrible place to work if you have a choice. No rasies, no real benefits, no management support.
Pros
40 hour work week
Cons
No raises, no benefits, horrible management, horrible owner
Management sucks especially the general manager
Site supervisor of security (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 28, 2016
The management doesn't care 2 cents for their employees,especially the general manager who is an arrogant jerk who tries to fast talk you and manipulate. The field supervisors are nothing but yes men for the general manager,the pay is ok.The benefits and health care are completely hilarious.I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy.
Pros
co workers
Cons
All of management, benefits, health care
Bottom of the barrel for security companies
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Streamwood, ILApril 9, 2016
They told me the site i was going to was going to be great. I was also told i was going to be working a standard 40hr week. When i actually went to the site it was absolute garbage. The account manager wanted me to work Saturday and Sunday doubles back to back. They do not tell you what company you are applying for untill after you have been hired. They just give you the location. They threatened me saying they were going to notify the idfpr. For not paying for my uniform after not accepting the job. They do not pay you the amount per hour listed on the job posting. Was told 13 then was told it was actually 11 per hour. AVOID THE
STREAMWOOD LOCATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Find other security companies. Seriously
Pros
Uniforms are nice / Getting your hopes up
Horrible Owner
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Blue Island, ILMarch 29, 2016
I worked there for a short time and they have camera's on every female employee. The owner is a bully! Do not work for this company. I recruited many diverse employees and he hired none of them. No one is happy working for him. If you stop and chat with other employees, you are being watched and then he is asking the other employee what you talked about.
Pros
Cons
no advancements, pay under the norm
Normal Place to work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYNovember 13, 2015
It were i began to work in the security business, i learned new things in my working life making sure that no one cross the line doing bad stuff in the area that i work in the building.
Pros
close to the city
Cons
changing the rules and regulations all times
Company not good
Security Guard/Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Blue Island, ILOctober 14, 2015
Company does not care for their employees and there is no real room for advancement and the policies are unorthodox. Company takes money from other guards to pay other guards.
Just another contract security company
Former Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Elgin-Vernon Hills-StreamwoodJune 17, 2015
Warning there NO union sites therefore NO BENEFITS to speak of,.
You will pay for your unforms, you will not get vacations UNLESS the client approves to pay, absolutely NO sick time and you need to call off sick a minimum of eight full hours in advance. All clients are primarily industrial in nature lot's of guard gate houses , some are ok the rest are the pits. Many sites have extremely high turn over the rest , the guards are there for years. Yes they pay slightly better, health insurance is astronomical.
Pros
slightly above average hour rate
Cons
No benefits, No sick time, very expensive insurance

Comment – February 8, 2016

Absolutely correct many warehouse , gatehouse sites, lot's of banks all NON UNION so NO HEALTHCARE , NO VACATIONS , NO PTO. You only get what is required by state and federal laws.

Customer service
Lobby Attendant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2015
Was given one job title as temporary placement and meanwhile performing maintenance duties that was not given when asked for job position through supervisor yet still provided the assistances whenever needed.
Nice place to work
Second Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2015
The job is good, the staff members are very cool individuals, and management will compromise with you if there is an issue. The work you do is in security, they will send you out to site from residential to industrial and many more.
Pros
Set hours and days
Cons
not enough overtime and bad health benifits
Review of Guardian Security
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Blue Island, ILNovember 24, 2014
I have worked for Guardian Security Services for 3 years and discovered that they do not provide employees with a consistent schedule, making their employees call in every Tuesday for the schedule for next week.

While they are faithful about their "Guardian look" and expect all officers to keep to this standard, they do not keep to giving their officers paid vacations or giving their officers free uniforms.

They are not considerate of their better employees who work hard for them and who need a consistent schedule so they can schedule their time off to do things. They are sometimes put on the schedule when it is the officer's day off.

Overall, I would say that if someone needs to gain experience as a security officer so they could move on, I would give it 2 stars
Pros
On-the-job training
Cons
Poor health coverage, employee not guaranteed a consistent schedule, employee must pay for uniforms and uniform replacements

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guardian Security Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9