Guardsmark Employee Reviews

Guardsmark: A great company to work for,but not the best employee system
Security guard/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMarch 1, 2016
I believe that Guardsmark is a pretty well-ran security company,but however, I did not like their management system nor how they handled some employee situations. Though, they do try their best to treat their employees well. There's just lots of favoritism within the company and many unorthodox procedures and, actions going on. I am a victim of some of those procedures. I'd say the company itself is decent to work for, but I recommend thinking twice before signing up to work for Guardsmark because, you always have to watch your back. i.e. I was simply accused of using the elevator after hours even though there was never any footage on the camera. Also, the employees were allowed access to the elevators at all times.
Pros
good pay, easy job, health benefits
Cons
bad management, favoritism, bad system
Productive professional quality operation
branch manager (Current Employee) –  Laredo, TXDecember 31, 2015
Guardsmark allowed you to do what it takes to provide a quality service to clients and develop a long lasting relationship with clients and employees. Guardsmark assisted in my transition from military to civilian culture educating me on how the civilian sector works with cultivating an effect security program. Management was always loyal and dedicated to the overall mission. Co-workers were always available to assist with helpful information and problem solving techniques. Hardest part of the job was creating a balance where employees and clients were both happy and taken care of . Most enjoyable part of the job was creating a culture of trust and effective management.
Pros
Cons
not fully computerized
Outline of my opinions.
Secuity Officer (Current Employee) –  Rosemont, ILMarch 25, 2016
I love Mondays, mostly because the day flies by in a flash.

We spend 1/3 of life working, Choose Wisely & Do something that counts.

Management includes planning, organizing, staffing, leading or directing, and controlling an organization to accomplish the goal or target.

If you feel like your coworkers don't like you, it could just be in your head, but it could also be true.

The hardest part is actually the hours the company makes us keep. Every week is different from the next, and nothing makes sense as far as what hours you will be getting.

The best part of my job is that it doesn’t feel like a job at all.
Great company to work for
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 9, 2016
Management was very attuned to growing people and not allowing them to become stagnated in their roles or outlook. Opportunities for advancement were made available regularly and made known to all.
Pros
Management took care of their employees
Cons
Pay was not suitable to match cost of living.
Good Company to work within.
Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJanuary 28, 2016
Great Company to work at for the last 15 years.. Compensation/Benefits were low for Security Officers and advancement was not acceptable. Local Branch Manager was not qualified to run the Branch. Worried about his image or getting his feeling hurt. Did not care for employees nor supported them. Company Sold in 2015. Lots of employees out of a job.
Pros
Good Commpany.
Cons
Low wages fro Security Officers
I am a very confident leader due to my work experience
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 13, 2016
I loved reporting to work each day due to the fact the everyday provided a learning experience. There were challenges that forced me to step up or fail as a leader. The company provided a short learning curve, but this made each member of management closer and that much more stronger and creative. I feel that the company demands have prepared me as well as many others for almost anything. The most difficult aspect of the job was learning that it had been sold. All other challenges were met with 18+ years of everyday experience and confidence that the opportunity would be resolved.
Pros
Freedom to be creative when challenged
Cons
witnessing developed talent move on to other opportunities
Not worth the time
Level I Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 8, 2016
Stationed in UPS, friday start work at 8am - 4pm. Double shift saturday 8pm - 12am, start next shift on sunday 12am - 8am.

Management is different and broken, you work to get the promised job, and you don't at the same time. Your co-workers are unfriendly, mistreat those around.

Your guilty until proven innocent, If you do your job right everyone hates you

trained to lock all doors on the weekends, was removed for doing my job. supervisor will throw you under the table to keep there job.

The hardest is the enjoyable, you work for 15mins and do nothing for 45mins

First day I was hired the manger said if you try to screw us in any way, we will find you and ruin your life.
Pros
Easiest Job out there
Cons
Promising future
Caring Professionals that give their clients a good product.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  BP Whiting Refinery in Whiting, IN.September 4, 2015
Guardsmark was a very professional organization that gave clients very professional service. They also gave excellent training and support as-well-as health care and raises. 1. I received verbal pass down information. 2. Updates by verbal and personal investigation for changes. 3. Make quick assessment and remedy problems to make smooth management. 4. Workers pickup a winning attitude from me and I'm known to inspire a positive motivation. To not to over step my job description and quickly alert others when everything is being managed. A complicated job requires team work for legal and safety reasons. 5. When people come back and say thank you and good job. Supervisors and mgmt. provided a conducive environment where they showed me what to do in there words and sit back and let me achieve excellent. The fun part was when everything was caught up and they would stop by for an intellectual conversation.
ok job. no raises
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 17, 2015
some of the employees are ok to work with. managers are ok for the most part, but are mostly trouble shooters. They take care of things that arise, such as correct hours on time sheets and employee complaints. They can't give you a raise. To give a raise, they have to charge the client more. The management will not avoid you. They are open for conversation and will explain things.
Quality employees. Office equipment and premises outdated. No decision-making authority for exempt employees.
vice president (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Free parking, well paid, exceptional employees, emphasis on ethics and diversity.

Cons: Micro-managed by CEO, no decision-making authority at any subordinate level, salary freeze for last 7 years, benefits greatly reduced as cost cutting measure, long days (10-12-hour days), paper intensive, limited use of computer technology.
Each company assisted in my growth as a manager, leader and as a person
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN 38119February 13, 2016
As a customer service assistance and retail manager trainee, I learned how to communicate with people from all walks of life. as a manager, I worked many hours and maintained a positive approach when addressing difficult situations. Working long hours, dealing with employees and customer alike was a bonding experience with co-workers. The part of the job that left a little to be desired involved working every holiday and weekend. The best part of working in retail was the comradery formed among co-workers.
Pros
The comradery among co-workers
Cons
Working very long hours that included holidays
Very dynamic workplace.
PROTECTION SERVICES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Guaynabo, PRAugust 6, 2015
In a very professional environment you develop your skills every day. Monthly training program keep employees up to date in the security field. Management has an excellent "open door" policy which brings the employee the support and a good opportunity to reach higher positions within the company. The opportunity this employer brings to serve a great variety of clients gives their employees a great chance to learn about all kind of jobs/business and, personally, makes a typical day at work a great one. The hardest part of the job as a Manager in the company is the % of travel time and other functions that need to be done around the clock that interfere in a huge way with your day to day family life.
Pros
Professional coaching and development, respectful and professional environment, Payment rate
Cons
Healthcare, 401K plan, Work/Life Balance
walked the building and checked all doors and temp readings.that was all 3rd shift could do.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNApril 4, 2016
walk and check doors around the building. kept a watch on temps all night long on the building.my co workers were really nice I could not ask for a better group of people to work with. management could have been a little more informative .
Pros
working 3rd shift i could eat my dinner at the front desk.he
Cons
not a lot of important information about the job .
Poor Management and Unprofessional Office Environment
Call Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 13, 2015
Management is unorganized, shows poor leadership, lacks the skills sets necessary for leadership and empowering security guards and other important personnel. Inconsistent metrics for performance and conduct leave personnel uncertain as to their standing as a valued employee. The office culture is unprofessional; inapproporiate language, commentary that may be offensive to certain religions or orientations. Co-workers would confide with me about their disappointment with management and their feeling 'expendable' or condescended to, which left me in a very difficult position as I was powerless to their situations (and often felt the same way). Employees would be disciplined or conduct would be addressed in the presence of other employees rather than in a neutral, private setting.
Pros
Paid Half Hour Lunch, Decent Wage/Salary
Cons
Poor Leadership, Toxic Office Environment
Avoid working here
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaOctober 18, 2015
Get it all in writing. My hiring manager lied to me. She claimed you get a raise once a year and that you earn a week of vacation after working here fora year. in reality you get one week vacation after working two years. My specific site, according to the other guards has not received a raise in over five years, so that once a year raise was just fake. You would think that a company that says they are a leader in the industry would have integrity, but they clearly don't. What is worse is they make it difficult to go to other interviews and have absolutely no potential for growth. They like to say we have an opening soon in this location and rather than offer that to current employees they just hire new people, way to promote from within.
Pros
No pros to speak of
Cons
False hope, lying, lack of opportunity
Contract work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 2, 2015
I don't mind working for this employer, most job duties are simple and its low stress.
Worked with guardsmark for over 2 years, still have yet to see a raise. Contracts are resigned every year with job sites, and our regional manager in charge of those contracts never asks for a raise.
The longer an employee works at a post the more capable and knowledgeable they become, but my pay never reflected my improvement.
A lot of my co-workers were not very good at their job, many of them barely stayed a month. The revolving door trend made it hard to get to know many of them, but most of them were not dedicated to their work.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
pay, co-workers
Horrible company to work for.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Tomahawk, WIAugust 31, 2016
I turned my boss in to Human Resources for violating our confidentiality policy, with our client, Harley-Davidson. Her boss let me go. I forgot how good a person could feel with no stress. I feel sorry for anyone employed with them, and the company that took them over, Universal Protection Service. I loved the inter-action with the Harley employees, and got to know hundreds of them by name. Great place to work, because of them.
Pros
No pro's working security.
Cons
Most situations caused by the security management
Horrible upper management.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNSeptember 25, 2015
The coworkers generally work smoothly as a co-dependent machine. The working conditions can be stressful due to being understaffed and upper management playing favoritism even if the same conditions apply to different employees. Overtime is sometimes mandatory and calls in on off days are relatively common. Keep your head down, don't try to change the status quo and avoid at all cost avoid ruffling anyone's feathers and you can have a long career here.

Each location is different. Some can be physically demanding while others are mentally challenging or even draining. Some come with perks such as occasional free food, others do not.
Pros
a position with an ingrained sense of integrity and pride.
Cons
short breaks, expensive healthcare, lack of support from management.
Productive work place
(Loss Prevention)Security Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 26, 2016
Overall good work experience and training. Learned and trained on alot. Needs new upper management. And provide more benefits. Most enjoyabke part was working with diverse people.
Productive and Fun
Site Commander (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJuly 4, 2016
A typical day at work, first, I had to meet with the client to discuss any new or upcoming events that was occurring on site. Next, I would meet with the supervisors to address any issues or concerns that had pertaining to the site. Thirdly, I would update my project manager on all new information pertaining to the site. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with the client and the easiest part of the job, was being able to effectively manage the site and maintain a happy staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guardsmark. Our community is ready to answer.