Guckenheimer Employee Reviews

A company that practices what it preaches
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 20, 2016
Great company to work for. Not just propaganda, they do and back up what they say. Everyone is helpful, willing to share and advance, not those political ego's like everywhere else.
Pros
Positive work environment, Can be a screative in your menu's as you want to be
Cons
No to mauch a la carte service
Love Serving our guests in a fast passed environment and getting our clients excited about healthy eating.
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, CANovember 15, 2016
Great place to work, leading the field in expanding the boundaries of corporate dining. I learned how to adapt to multiple different cultures needs and different cuisines. Enjoyed creating healthy flavorful dishes for all to enjoy. Very fast passed environment and sometimes had to come up with solutions to problems instantly as they were need. Serving our guest was my main focus and loved creating new programs and selections for an ever changing palate and changing food trends.
Pros
Got to open a new restaurant and have complete creative menu control
Cons
Not applicable
Management is horrible
Porter (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MONovember 15, 2016
The Gm doesn't know how to speak or work with others . Talks to all employees as if they are her children. And she also brings her home life to work.
It was a lot going on very high intensity
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA1October 25, 2016
Go there focus and willing to go through a lot of high intense work atmosphere. You meet alit of different kind people from different locations, Guckenheimer was a very fast paste job. They had a lot of themed parties for different events. Guckenheimer is a cool place to work especially if you want the experience.
Pros
Good healthy free foods
Cons
Wish breaks were longer from the type of job duties that were assigned
Great friendly staff and management
Cashier/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAOctober 24, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Guckenhiemer, the manager was extremely nice easy to work with and super friendly! The atmosphere was inviting and productive!
Pros
Free lunches and fair break times
Cons
Early early hours
Good people and great food.
Support General Manager (Former Employee) –  North Eastern RegionOctober 10, 2016
Upper management lacked id giving direction to the unit managers, there was also a lack of support for the unit managers
Pros
Great Food
Cons
Company lacked direction
Worst job ever
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAOctober 1, 2016
This is the worst job i worked with a bunch of smack talking employees all of them did take advantage if you and oversee the stuff you do for what you didnt. I worked for them almost a year until i got fired i was a dish washer and it is the worst position to be you get taken advantage of by every single lazy worker to do stuff they dont want to do. They all cry alot they need help and they get it through the dishwashers but when the dishwashers cry for help they get nothing they say dishwashing is the most important position innthe kitchen but the manager and everyone else made it seem like your nothing your worthless. When i got fired i didnt even have my own proper uniform with my name im an XL and i was forced to be wearing larges that are tight on me and make me feel uncomfortable. The manager never took dishwashers into consideration that we need this or that he could careless about them. If the comoany could know i would say hire a better manager that takes every employee serious and that defends them as well i was screamed at by the previous catering manager over pickups i couldnt get to in front of the manager and he did nothing but as when an employee defended them selves against her he would defend her and not the worker. Guckenheimer please look into reviewing all the managers and checking all worker gear if they have it or not. For those who read this believe me or not but just know you've been warned im specifying this to the location of Newport Beach .
Pros
Free lunch, employee benefits, stable around 40hrs a week
Cons
Lazy and unappreciative workers
Productive and schedule is great
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 20, 2016
productive and fun workplace because no work on weekend and holiday, Good environment around the corporate people. What I learned to be a chef manager at corporate dining is a lot for my food service experience
Pros
Schedule
Cons
a lot of paperwork and tough job to be a chef manager
A Growing company
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Pryor Creek, OKSeptember 13, 2016
Guckenheimer is focused on health and quality.
Guckenheimer is a Corporate dining based company with locations in over 37 states
If you like High School drama you will love guckenheimer
Catering Manager, cashier, salad bar (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 6, 2016
My experience working at guckenheimer was not a pleasant one. For very little pay you are expected to work many many hours and do not think that when they tell you that you have scheduled breaks and at lunch time that they really mean it because they don't. I've never worked around so many people who literally put hours into trying to make your life miserable. Some of the shows that we care top of the line well trained and really new their stuff types of chefs. I learned a ton while I was there. The drama it was ridiculous. The upper management what is the worst. I did make a few friends. But you definitely have to be careful who you tell your secrets too and definitely do not tell the upper management anything that could ever be used against you so just know they're not your friend they got your back with a knife.
Pros
Free lunch if they give you time to eat it
Cons
Really bad management and poor pay
Busy and Productive work place with new every day challenges
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  3 Duke place Norwalk CT 06850August 17, 2016
Working with Guckenheimer you had to constantly stay productive and efficient at the same time because you have only but some much time to scratch off everything on the agenda. Our kitchen served Bride Water the largest hedge fund in the world. Very well Managed and maintained great upkeep.
Pros
Free non GMO lunches all through out the day
Cons
Sold the company in short notice
A demanding job with little reward
Ware Washer (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, OR 97062August 13, 2016
I have held many responsibilities at this job; I have been a dish washer, worked night shifts, day shifts, acted as a sous chef, cashier, deli cook, fry cook and caterer. I enjoy being a jack-of-all-trades, but my position can also be daunting and this is especially true when I don't get paid the wage that I have been promised. Sometimes, I am promised a raise that would apply in a few weeks only to be told later that I am just "filling in" or that I would have to wait for several months before it goes into effect.

Nonetheless, my co-workers are good and we work well as a team for the most part. A busy, but successful day makes us all feel great. We work under a lot of pressure: most of the time we are understaffed with very demanding clients (particularly in catering) and the job takes a lot of hustle. We often have to switch jobs on the fly to cover for others who are slower or needing breaks. Because of this kind of management, days are tiring, but at the same time, I have learned a lot about working in kitchens like this.

That being said, I would not recommend this job to anyone who expects to move up (unless you aren't like me and have a plethora of kitchen experience), wants to keep things organized or wants to have a consistent job and hours. This cafe is a wild frontier and while it can be fun at times, it is mostly as tedious as it is unpredictable.
Pros
Free lunches, frequent breaks (if you're a smoker), variety of work
Cons
Short-staffed, under-supplied, false promises about raises/promotions
We all got our job done from the time we got to work and to the time we got off of work.
Cashier/prep (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAAugust 8, 2016
When I work at Guckenheimer it was a wonderful working experience environment. I enjoyed working there with others as a team we got our job done from the time we went into work and getting off of work.
Pros
customer service
Cons
no room for advancement
Terrible
Cook (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 20, 2016
This job could be so much better but they have a terrible upper management team. You tell the general manager something and he takes no action, promise raises then lies and fires you, the catering manager rides people everyday and find little things to write you up.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
catering manager is a jerk
Busy from start to finish
Cashier / food prep / front of house manager (Former Employee) –  Cheswick, PAJune 6, 2016
My day started with morning food prep and moved into cashiering for breakfast and lunch. My chef manager was wonderful! Co workers left a lot to be desired. Sorry... Hardest thing for me was when a customer wasn't happy with their meal. I did however always make it right for them. My favorite thing about this job was my customers, I knew 90% of their names and there was over 500 of them!
Pros
free lunch
Cons
skimpy raises
Staff Lead
Lead Staff (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 20, 2016
I worked for this company for nearly ten years. I loved the Omaha, NE staff. The food is great and the service at the Omaha Union Pacific and Holland/Orpheum locations has some of the best reviews regarding food, delivery, quality, training, and management that I have heard about within the competing Midwest and Eastern locations of the company. Omaha's Guckenheimer is a great trademark for this company.
Pros
Entertainment while working. Employee meals.
Cons
NA
Good people to work with.
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTApril 13, 2016
Corporate is very disconnected to the accounts they are in charge of. Not very good at holding on to or getting new customers in surrounding area.
Good hours sometimes
manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 18, 2016
Very disorganized management team.
Corporate support minimal.
Good hours, but often times you are the only person to cover shifts.
Pros
Hours
Cons
No breaks, time off hard to come by
Distant and detached upper management
Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAFebruary 4, 2016
Not a company that drives individual employee growth. Retention and recruiting are not priorities. Ineffective upper management,
no company culture or appreciation for management operators or hourly staff.
Pros
Monday- Friday work week
Great company to work for
Pantry Chef (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 19, 2015
Great team work, very fast paced. The most enjoyable about this job is everyone helping each other when needed. The management was awesome and willing to train for other positions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guckenheimer. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8