Guckenheimer Employee Reviews

Awesome place to work with life/work balance!
Pantry/Grill/Pizza Chef. (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 18, 2015
Awesome place to work with life/work balance, salary is not really according to your skills and improvements but is better than other same culture companies.
Its hard to advance, because if they have no one to keep your current position, they rather to hire some one to fill the position you try to advance to. and ironically in some cases you end up training that person too.
The management is good and they do what they can with resources they have. you have to be careful not to take things personal or you end up misinterpreting your and their roles.
Pros
Life/work balance
Cons
Hard to advance due to HR.
If you like High School drama you will love guckenheimer
Catering Manager, cashier, salad bar (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 6, 2016
My experience working at guckenheimer was not a pleasant one. For very little pay you are expected to work many many hours and do not think that when they tell you that you have scheduled breaks and at lunch time that they really mean it because they don't. I've never worked around so many people who literally put hours into trying to make your life miserable. Some of the shows that we care top of the line well trained and really new their stuff types of chefs. I learned a ton while I was there. The drama it was ridiculous. The upper management what is the worst. I did make a few friends. But you definitely have to be careful who you tell your secrets too and definitely do not tell the upper management anything that could ever be used against you so just know they're not your friend they got your back with a knife.
Pros
Free lunch if they give you time to eat it
Cons
Really bad management and poor pay
Busy and Productive work place with new every day challenges
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  3 Duke place Norwalk CT 06850August 17, 2016
Working with Guckenheimer you had to constantly stay productive and efficient at the same time because you have only but some much time to scratch off everything on the agenda. Our kitchen served Bride Water the largest hedge fund in the world. Very well Managed and maintained great upkeep.
Pros
Free non GMO lunches all through out the day
Cons
Sold the company in short notice
Busy from start to finish
Cashier / food prep / front of house manager (Former Employee) –  Cheswick, PAJune 6, 2016
My day started with morning food prep and moved into cashiering for breakfast and lunch. My chef manager was wonderful! Co workers left a lot to be desired. Sorry... Hardest thing for me was when a customer wasn't happy with their meal. I did however always make it right for them. My favorite thing about this job was my customers, I knew 90% of their names and there was over 500 of them!
Pros
free lunch
Cons
skimpy raises
Staff Lead
Lead Staff (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 20, 2016
I worked for this company for nearly ten years. I loved the Omaha, NE staff. The food is great and the service at the Omaha Union Pacific and Holland/Orpheum locations has some of the best reviews regarding food, delivery, quality, training, and management that I have heard about within the competing Midwest and Eastern locations of the company. Omaha's Guckenheimer is a great trademark for this company.
Pros
Entertainment while working. Employee meals.
Cons
NA
We all got our job done from the time we got to work and to the time we got off of work.
Cashier/prep (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAAugust 8, 2016
When I work at Guckenheimer it was a wonderful working experience environment. I enjoyed working there with others as a team we got our job done from the time we went into work and getting off of work.
Pros
customer service
Cons
no room for advancement
Productive and schedule is great
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 20, 2016
productive and fun workplace because no work on weekend and holiday, Good environment around the corporate people. What I learned to be a chef manager at corporate dining is a lot for my food service experience
Pros
Schedule
Cons
a lot of paperwork and tough job to be a chef manager
Terrible
Cook (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 20, 2016
This job could be so much better but they have a terrible upper management team. You tell the general manager something and he takes no action, promise raises then lies and fires you, the catering manager rides people everyday and find little things to write you up.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
catering manager is a jerk
Head Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 7, 2015
everybody has different experiences nothing good or bad to say about this company. Great benefits and 401k daytime hours
A demanding job with little reward
Ware Washer (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, OR 97062August 13, 2016
I have held many responsibilities at this job; I have been a dish washer, worked night shifts, day shifts, acted as a sous chef, cashier, deli cook, fry cook and caterer. I enjoy being a jack-of-all-trades, but my position can also be daunting and this is especially true when I don't get paid the wage that I have been promised. Sometimes, I am promised a raise that would apply in a few weeks only to be told later that I am just "filling in" or that I would have to wait for several months before it goes into effect.

Nonetheless, my co-workers are good and we work well as a team for the most part. A busy, but successful day makes us all feel great. We work under a lot of pressure: most of the time we are understaffed with very demanding clients (particularly in catering) and the job takes a lot of hustle. We often have to switch jobs on the fly to cover for others who are slower or needing breaks. Because of this kind of management, days are tiring, but at the same time, I have learned a lot about working in kitchens like this.

That being said, I would not recommend this job to anyone who expects to move up (unless you aren't like me and have a plethora of kitchen experience), wants to keep things organized or wants to have a consistent job and hours. This cafe is a wild frontier and while it can be fun at times, it is mostly as tedious as it is unpredictable.
Pros
Free lunches, frequent breaks (if you're a smoker), variety of work
Cons
Short-staffed, under-supplied, false promises about raises/promotions
Distant and detached upper management
Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAFebruary 4, 2016
Not a company that drives individual employee growth. Retention and recruiting are not priorities. Ineffective upper management,
no company culture or appreciation for management operators or hourly staff.
Pros
Monday- Friday work week
Good hours sometimes
manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 18, 2016
Very disorganized management team.
Corporate support minimal.
Good hours, but often times you are the only person to cover shifts.
Pros
Hours
Cons
No breaks, time off hard to come by
A Growing company
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Pryor Creek, OKSeptember 13, 2016
Guckenheimer is focused on health and quality.
Guckenheimer is a Corporate dining based company with locations in over 37 states
Great learing expierence
Supervisor/Lead Cashier (Current Employee) –  IllinoisApril 6, 2012
Guckenheimer is known for creating healthy dishes with fresh ingredients. Guckenheimer holds its employees to high; sanitation, customer service and food knowledge standards so that all guests can have an enjoyable experience. I have learned all the skills needed to do all the prep work in the kitchen and the learned how to balance the orders to keep our unit under budget. I have been entrusted with handling the managerial and accounting duties for my unit. The most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with all the clients and getting to know them on a first name basis.
Pros
excellent benefits, great clients
Cons
many times i have to work during my break
Good people to work with.
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTApril 13, 2016
Corporate is very disconnected to the accounts they are in charge of. Not very good at holding on to or getting new customers in surrounding area.
Kitchens are not female friendly
kitchen (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesSeptember 24, 2015
As a female I was required to "smile" as I worked, but chefs never told males that they must "smile" when they work. Egos for Exec. Chefs is "legend in their own minds".

I would advise any female to stay clear of this company; once you are hired and receive your company hiring packet is when you find out that you are property; that the company will decide when and where you work, even if you applied for a specific site. You will be forced out of the company and never receive unemployment.

I took a cut in pay to work for a bunch of misogynist.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management; they won't even care about this post.
If you have no passion for food work here
Cook (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 11, 2012
Management does not know how to communicate effectively between front of the house and back of the house. this goes straight to the top. corporate chef's saying one thing GM's saying another, managers saying another, and still yet head chefs saying something else. Benefits are great and pay is reasonable here if you can learn to shut your mouth and follow imbecilic reasoning. Good luck if you want to move up.
benefits
Cons
management
Frontline Employees Great , Management Poor
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 30, 2015
Typical day was arrive around 4 am , check in all food deliveries, setup all stations and get cooks setup for daily operations. Ensure quality and sanitation throughout production and ensure service was setup on time for breakfast and lunch service. Make daily menus , recipes food orders . I learned what not to do on any level in a foodservice environment or management. I have done management in multiple settings the management here was laughable. It was like a manager turf war everyday, I just stood back and watched them collaborate on projects ( all of which failed) on a weekly basis. My direct reports were great except for a few normal run of the mill issues like not showing up to work on time or multiple call outs. Hardest part of my job was watching 3 plus managers walk around and give different tasks to the same employees and threaten their jobs for the slightest errors. There was literally no training, except I was shown an order guide on where to order food from. Management had no communication skills and when they did communicate it was not transparent. The management team also would divulge personal information to the front line employees like terminations and write-ups. Not all of them but some of them. The most enjoyable part was working with some great cooks and working Monday- Friday. Started looking and found a new job almost as soon as I started working at this company.
Pros
Monday-Friday schedule
Cons
Management, Benefits
Fast Paced Restaurant
Pantry Chef (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 19, 2014
I prepare food for the Deli Station. I've learned ways to cook food from scratch instead of cooking from a bag of food or Box. Management is ok. there are good co workers easy to get along with. the hardest part of the job is sometimes we have work added on last minute if there is a catering last minute. I enjoy working for a good company with great benefits.
Pros
free lunch, set schedule mon-fri
Cons
low pay for some workers.
Lacks basic kitchen Standards
cook; exhibition (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 17, 2014
I had a horrible experience with this company (location, Pasadena)
Executive Chef is a joke. He has no authority in the kitchen and works with no concept or vision. He relays his commands through a Kitchen manager; which is a total joke to the company. She has no kitchen knowledge, and is morally weak. She harasses the employees by constantly reminding them that they get paid well enough to undergo any strenuous measures to get the job done. There is no empowerment amongst staff, as everyone works individually for their own sake, respectively. First day on the job I was never introduced to the company, nor when my probation was done, I was not once welcomed to guckenheimer, There is no opportunity for growth which I find quite odd considering the "executive chef" not only did not attend culinary school, but has no kitchen knowledge whatsoever & has a weak grasp on his poorly developed menu. Overall, The quality of the food is poor. Relationships amongst staff is shockingly dreadful. The Manager has no business in the kitchen which in terms is causing the inevitable collapse of the contract with western asset. Good luck!
Pros
13 an hour to start, good hours, benefits etc.
Cons
no communication, meal period is shorten do to peak hour lunch schedule. excluded 10 min breaks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guckenheimer. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8