Guckenheimer Employee Reviews

Productive and schedule is great
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 20, 2016
productive and fun workplace because no work on weekend and holiday, Good environment around the corporate people. What I learned to be a chef manager at corporate dining is a lot for my food service experience
Pros
Schedule
Cons
a lot of paperwork and tough job to be a chef manager
A Growing company
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Pryor Creek, OKSeptember 13, 2016
Guckenheimer is focused on health and quality.
Guckenheimer is a Corporate dining based company with locations in over 37 states
If you like High School drama you will love guckenheimer
Catering Manager, cashier, salad bar (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 6, 2016
My experience working at guckenheimer was not a pleasant one. For very little pay you are expected to work many many hours and do not think that when they tell you that you have scheduled breaks and at lunch time that they really mean it because they don't. I've never worked around so many people who literally put hours into trying to make your life miserable. Some of the shows that we care top of the line well trained and really new their stuff types of chefs. I learned a ton while I was there. The drama it was ridiculous. The upper management what is the worst. I did make a few friends. But you definitely have to be careful who you tell your secrets too and definitely do not tell the upper management anything that could ever be used against you so just know they're not your friend they got your back with a knife.
Pros
Free lunch if they give you time to eat it
Cons
Really bad management and poor pay
Busy and Productive work place with new every day challenges
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  3 Duke place Norwalk CT 06850August 17, 2016
Working with Guckenheimer you had to constantly stay productive and efficient at the same time because you have only but some much time to scratch off everything on the agenda. Our kitchen served Bride Water the largest hedge fund in the world. Very well Managed and maintained great upkeep.
Pros
Free non GMO lunches all through out the day
Cons
Sold the company in short notice
A demanding job with little reward
Ware Washer (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, OR 97062August 13, 2016
I have held many responsibilities at this job; I have been a dish washer, worked night shifts, day shifts, acted as a sous chef, cashier, deli cook, fry cook and caterer. I enjoy being a jack-of-all-trades, but my position can also be daunting and this is especially true when I don't get paid the wage that I have been promised. Sometimes, I am promised a raise that would apply in a few weeks only to be told later that I am just "filling in" or that I would have to wait for several months before it goes into effect.

Nonetheless, my co-workers are good and we work well as a team for the most part. A busy, but successful day makes us all feel great. We work under a lot of pressure: most of the time we are understaffed with very demanding clients (particularly in catering) and the job takes a lot of hustle. We often have to switch jobs on the fly to cover for others who are slower or needing breaks. Because of this kind of management, days are tiring, but at the same time, I have learned a lot about working in kitchens like this.

That being said, I would not recommend this job to anyone who expects to move up (unless you aren't like me and have a plethora of kitchen experience), wants to keep things organized or wants to have a consistent job and hours. This cafe is a wild frontier and while it can be fun at times, it is mostly as tedious as it is unpredictable.
Pros
Free lunches, frequent breaks (if you're a smoker), variety of work
Cons
Short-staffed, under-supplied, false promises about raises/promotions
We all got our job done from the time we got to work and to the time we got off of work.
Cashier/prep (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAAugust 8, 2016
When I work at Guckenheimer it was a wonderful working experience environment. I enjoyed working there with others as a team we got our job done from the time we went into work and getting off of work.
Pros
customer service
Cons
no room for advancement
Terrible
Cook (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 20, 2016
This job could be so much better but they have a terrible upper management team. You tell the general manager something and he takes no action, promise raises then lies and fires you, the catering manager rides people everyday and find little things to write you up.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
catering manager is a jerk
Busy from start to finish
Cashier / food prep / front of house manager (Former Employee) –  Cheswick, PAJune 6, 2016
My day started with morning food prep and moved into cashiering for breakfast and lunch. My chef manager was wonderful! Co workers left a lot to be desired. Sorry... Hardest thing for me was when a customer wasn't happy with their meal. I did however always make it right for them. My favorite thing about this job was my customers, I knew 90% of their names and there was over 500 of them!
Pros
free lunch
Cons
skimpy raises
Staff Lead
Lead Staff (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 20, 2016
I worked for this company for nearly ten years. I loved the Omaha, NE staff. The food is great and the service at the Omaha Union Pacific and Holland/Orpheum locations has some of the best reviews regarding food, delivery, quality, training, and management that I have heard about within the competing Midwest and Eastern locations of the company. Omaha's Guckenheimer is a great trademark for this company.
Pros
Entertainment while working. Employee meals.
Cons
NA
Good people to work with.
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Orem, UTApril 13, 2016
Corporate is very disconnected to the accounts they are in charge of. Not very good at holding on to or getting new customers in surrounding area.
Good hours sometimes
manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 18, 2016
Very disorganized management team.
Corporate support minimal.
Good hours, but often times you are the only person to cover shifts.
Pros
Hours
Cons
No breaks, time off hard to come by
Distant and detached upper management
Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAFebruary 4, 2016
Not a company that drives individual employee growth. Retention and recruiting are not priorities. Ineffective upper management,
no company culture or appreciation for management operators or hourly staff.
Pros
Monday- Friday work week
Great company to work for
Pantry Chef (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 19, 2015
Great team work, very fast paced. The most enjoyable about this job is everyone helping each other when needed. The management was awesome and willing to train for other positions.
fun work environment with great food
PREP COOK AND line cook (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAOctober 20, 2015
I start by making coffee and making sure we have everything the guest need. I love making food. ringing up guest and making drinksa beter cook. working here have made me. the hardest part of the job is making sure the food is ready on time.
Pros
seeing guest smile
Head Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 7, 2015
everybody has different experiences nothing good or bad to say about this company. Great benefits and 401k daytime hours
fun
Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Buena Park, CASeptember 27, 2015
The employees are positive and work hard. I have met many great people along in my short journey there and have made many friends.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
management
Kitchens are not female friendly
kitchen (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesSeptember 24, 2015
As a female I was required to "smile" as I worked, but chefs never told males that they must "smile" when they work. Egos for Exec. Chefs is "legend in their own minds".

I would advise any female to stay clear of this company; once you are hired and receive your company hiring packet is when you find out that you are property; that the company will decide when and where you work, even if you applied for a specific site. You will be forced out of the company and never receive unemployment.

I took a cut in pay to work for a bunch of misogynist.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management; they won't even care about this post.
Love the music system and the T.V.'s in the cafeteria
Sous Chef Assistant (Former Employee) –  PASeptember 3, 2015
Had a great time assisting the sous chef with prepping meals during winter holiday I learned how to make fresh pizza dough and designed some of the best pizzas and stromboli's ;) ..I enjoyed creating varieties of spa water ,muffins ,and helping assist in giving out breakfast ,lunch and dinner to the associates ..We all worked as a team , like a family ..Also helped with Food is my passion and I enjoy how they try so hard to give the best quality foods to their clients..waiting to get rehired to work my magic again ..Guckenheimer You Rock!!!! :)
Pros
free lunches, great food, up to standard cooking appliances..work is a breeze with these .. ;)
Cons
Just trying hard to get back in from working as a temp the first time around
Awesome place to work with life/work balance!
Pantry/Grill/Pizza Chef. (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 18, 2015
Awesome place to work with life/work balance, salary is not really according to your skills and improvements but is better than other same culture companies.
Its hard to advance, because if they have no one to keep your current position, they rather to hire some one to fill the position you try to advance to. and ironically in some cases you end up training that person too.
The management is good and they do what they can with resources they have. you have to be careful not to take things personal or you end up misinterpreting your and their roles.
Pros
Life/work balance
Cons
Hard to advance due to HR.
Productive work place and family environment
Dinner shift lead (Former Employee) –  New albany, OhioJuly 21, 2015
This was my first job as a teenager, it was a great learning experience. It taught me self employment as we were expected to have dinner ready for the crew in the warehouse by the time they were to go on dinner.
I arrived at work and prepared stations, to the best of my ability. As I become aware of all stations I was rapidly promoted to the dinner shift lead. This left it free for the general manager to leave and not have to stay and I ensured cleanness, customer service and closing duties of the café.
The hardest part was being so young, 16, that I had to enforce rules on people three times my age. However, it was the first, and was a great learning experience. They were all very supportive.
However, at the time, with the economy the warehouse laid off the late night shift leaving the café closed. I was offered a position for the day time. However, still in high school, I had to find another job.
Pros
Free dinner

2.8