Guckenheimer Employee Reviews

work place is fair
early shift 4:00 am ending at 2:00 pm
7days a week operation
unfit scheduling
hours worked don't reflect on your check(under paid)
Not a bad company to work for definitely not the best.
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 20, 2017
I have worked several positions within the company and have found that all positions are very demanding and it is difficult to get everything done within the limited time frame . All in all, there is very little training and there is a lack of communication that compounds issues that occur on a daily basis.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Poor training, Lack of communication, favoritism
Good people and work life balance
Manager (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAFebruary 6, 2017
Having the ability to enjoy weekends off and still work within the restaurant and hospitality business is a plus. Good place to learn about budgeting, P&L management and many other administrative tasks.
Pros
great hours
Cons
a lot of thankless work
The perfect place for followers, not leaders
Catering Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 2, 2017
As the catering supervisor my day would begin at 7am, and end as late as 9pm. That's right, double shifts are an expectation, and you have to negotiate an adequate break. I helped open one of their new properties, and all seemed great during the training period with the regional staff. I received praise from regional leadership and customers alike. I was hired for my education, and experience in the catering field. I honestly felt I was viewed as an asset.

I had high hopes for this place, as they made the opportunity look so shiny and appealing. My views of that place drastically changed once they hired the perminent GM and Executive Chef. Why they were not in place during the opening? I don't know, but they changed the entire atmosphere for the worse.

If you enjoy having no voice, being spoken to like a child, insulted, overworked, lied to about opportunities by regional leadership and flat out disrespected, then Guckenheimer is the place for you! They will lure you in with the Monday through Friday corporate hours, and no weekends scheduling. Its down hill from there. I have been a professional chef since 2010, and this was by far the worst experience I've ever had with any employer. Don't waste your time.
Pros
no weekends
Cons
management, overworked, discrimination
Good company people management
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 16, 2017
Good company great work ,life ,balance and managing 16 staff members and business dining atmosphere fun work place control ing cost .training and teaching staff members ,
Pros
good company, people good food service.
Cons
great benefits
Terrible Management
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 11, 2017
Great cooks/chefs, not so great Managers and Corporate staff. The trench workers are over worked, underpaid and unappreciated. I learned that HR doesn't care about the employee just the company. Management varies from unit to unit but some area managers don't belong near a kitchen (care about numbers not about the people). Hardest part of the Job was having no say in the security of my employees even as one of their managers. Most enjoyable part of the job was practicing my craft with other individuals who shared the same passion. Worst part of the job was losing the passion due to being over worked, having no support and losing staff because they were over worked and underpaid. (see the patterns...)
Pros
experience, benefits, hours
Cons
low pay, unpleasant work environment (varies by region/unit)
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Malibu, CAJanuary 6, 2017
Corporate company with many benefits, no nights, weekends or holidays. Offers great customer service and healthy food options. As manager I was able to run this kitchen as if it were my own.
A company that practices what it preaches
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 20, 2016
Great company to work for. Not just propaganda, they do and back up what they say. Everyone is helpful, willing to share and advance, not those political ego's like everywhere else.
Pros
Positive work environment, Can be a screative in your menu's as you want to be
Cons
No to mauch a la carte service
Love Serving our guests in a fast passed environment and getting our clients excited about healthy eating.
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Lake Forest, CANovember 15, 2016
Great place to work, leading the field in expanding the boundaries of corporate dining. I learned how to adapt to multiple different cultures needs and different cuisines. Enjoyed creating healthy flavorful dishes for all to enjoy. Very fast passed environment and sometimes had to come up with solutions to problems instantly as they were need. Serving our guest was my main focus and loved creating new programs and selections for an ever changing palate and changing food trends.
Pros
Got to open a new restaurant and have complete creative menu control
Cons
Not applicable
Management is horrible
Porter (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, MONovember 15, 2016
The Gm doesn't know how to speak or work with others . Talks to all employees as if they are her children. And she also brings her home life to work.
It was a lot going on very high intensity
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA1October 25, 2016
Go there focus and willing to go through a lot of high intense work atmosphere. You meet alit of different kind people from different locations, Guckenheimer was a very fast paste job. They had a lot of themed parties for different events. Guckenheimer is a cool place to work especially if you want the experience.
Pros
Good healthy free foods
Cons
Wish breaks were longer from the type of job duties that were assigned
Great friendly staff and management
Cashier/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAOctober 24, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Guckenhiemer, the manager was extremely nice easy to work with and super friendly! The atmosphere was inviting and productive!
Pros
Free lunches and fair break times
Cons
Early early hours
Good people and great food.
Support General Manager (Former Employee) –  North Eastern RegionOctober 10, 2016
Upper management lacked id giving direction to the unit managers, there was also a lack of support for the unit managers
Pros
Great Food
Cons
Company lacked direction
Worst job ever
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAOctober 1, 2016
This is the worst job i worked with a bunch of smack talking employees all of them did take advantage if you and oversee the stuff you do for what you didnt. I worked for them almost a year until i got fired i was a dish washer and it is the worst position to be you get taken advantage of by every single lazy worker to do stuff they dont want to do. They all cry alot they need help and they get it through the dishwashers but when the dishwashers cry for help they get nothing they say dishwashing is the most important position innthe kitchen but the manager and everyone else made it seem like your nothing your worthless. When i got fired i didnt even have my own proper uniform with my name im an XL and i was forced to be wearing larges that are tight on me and make me feel uncomfortable. The manager never took dishwashers into consideration that we need this or that he could careless about them. If the comoany could know i would say hire a better manager that takes every employee serious and that defends them as well i was screamed at by the previous catering manager over pickups i couldnt get to in front of the manager and he did nothing but as when an employee defended them selves against her he would defend her and not the worker. Guckenheimer please look into reviewing all the managers and checking all worker gear if they have it or not. For those who read this believe me or not but just know you've been warned im specifying this to the location of Newport Beach .
Pros
Free lunch, employee benefits, stable around 40hrs a week
Cons
Lazy and unappreciative workers
Productive and schedule is great
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 20, 2016
productive and fun workplace because no work on weekend and holiday, Good environment around the corporate people. What I learned to be a chef manager at corporate dining is a lot for my food service experience
Pros
Schedule
Cons
a lot of paperwork and tough job to be a chef manager
A Growing company
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Pryor Creek, OKSeptember 13, 2016
Guckenheimer is focused on health and quality.
Guckenheimer is a Corporate dining based company with locations in over 37 states
If you like High School drama you will love guckenheimer
Catering Manager, cashier, salad bar (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 6, 2016
My experience working at guckenheimer was not a pleasant one. For very little pay you are expected to work many many hours and do not think that when they tell you that you have scheduled breaks and at lunch time that they really mean it because they don't. I've never worked around so many people who literally put hours into trying to make your life miserable. Some of the shows that we care top of the line well trained and really new their stuff types of chefs. I learned a ton while I was there. The drama it was ridiculous. The upper management what is the worst. I did make a few friends. But you definitely have to be careful who you tell your secrets too and definitely do not tell the upper management anything that could ever be used against you so just know they're not your friend they got your back with a knife.
Pros
Free lunch if they give you time to eat it
Cons
Really bad management and poor pay
Busy and Productive work place with new every day challenges
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  3 Duke place Norwalk CT 06850August 17, 2016
Working with Guckenheimer you had to constantly stay productive and efficient at the same time because you have only but some much time to scratch off everything on the agenda. Our kitchen served Bride Water the largest hedge fund in the world. Very well Managed and maintained great upkeep.
Pros
Free non GMO lunches all through out the day
Cons
Sold the company in short notice
A demanding job with little reward
Ware Washer (Current Employee) –  Tualatin, OR 97062August 13, 2016
I have held many responsibilities at this job; I have been a dish washer, worked night shifts, day shifts, acted as a sous chef, cashier, deli cook, fry cook and caterer. I enjoy being a jack-of-all-trades, but my position can also be daunting and this is especially true when I don't get paid the wage that I have been promised. Sometimes, I am promised a raise that would apply in a few weeks only to be told later that I am just "filling in" or that I would have to wait for several months before it goes into effect.

Nonetheless, my co-workers are good and we work well as a team for the most part. A busy, but successful day makes us all feel great. We work under a lot of pressure: most of the time we are understaffed with very demanding clients (particularly in catering) and the job takes a lot of hustle. We often have to switch jobs on the fly to cover for others who are slower or needing breaks. Because of this kind of management, days are tiring, but at the same time, I have learned a lot about working in kitchens like this.

That being said, I would not recommend this job to anyone who expects to move up (unless you aren't like me and have a plethora of kitchen experience), wants to keep things organized or wants to have a consistent job and hours. This cafe is a wild frontier and while it can be fun at times, it is mostly as tedious as it is unpredictable.
Pros
Free lunches, frequent breaks (if you're a smoker), variety of work
Cons
Short-staffed, under-supplied, false promises about raises/promotions
We all got our job done from the time we got to work and to the time we got off of work.
Cashier/prep (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAAugust 8, 2016
When I work at Guckenheimer it was a wonderful working experience environment. I enjoyed working there with others as a team we got our job done from the time we went into work and getting off of work.
Pros
customer service
Cons
no room for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guckenheimer. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7