Guess Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun work place
Visual's assistant (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMarch 14, 2016
Great positive work place. Management team was easily available to talk to. Work life balance was not a problem. Not much benefits besides store discount.
Look elsewhere. Culture sucks.
Co-manager (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILJanuary 7, 2016
With declining sales, an increased workload is expected with minimal payroll. A typical day at work consisted of one on one selling with customers while trying to accomplish operational tasks designated from corporate office. Upper management was approachable with issues, however no changes would be made. In store culture has changed over the years with new management. There are fewer opportunities for advancement than when I first started with the company, mainly due to a lack of training & development (this can vary from manager to manager, unfortunately my store manager did not care to train or develop anyone on the team.) As a salaried manager I found myself consistently working more than 40 hours a week. I witnessed all of my co-workers have meltdowns at one point or another from being burnt out.

In store culture can vary from store to store depending on the management. My store in particular had an awful in store culture due largely to the store manager's attitude towards the entire team. Attempts to discuss these issues with the store manager were met with backlash and poor attitude. Reaching out to the district manager and HR departments were met with further backlash from the store manager.

Heavy gossip between stores and management as well.

Hardest part of the job was the excessive hours and overworking of their salaried managers to accomplish tasks because we did not have payroll to do them.

The most enjoyable part of the job..the generous employee discount.
Pros
Generous discount, great benefits package
Cons
Culture, management
Guess? clothing store
Top Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHFebruary 18, 2016
A typical day at Guess? clothing store as the top sales associate was very fun and rewarding. A regular day consist of me speaking with and helping many customers, along with store projects that the managers assigned. I learned how to use the Guess? P.O.S system, better skills on how to make the customer feel comfortable and safe, product knowledge on how the merchandise fit different body figures, and how to work under retail pressure. The management at Guess? was awesome. All of the managers were very friendly and put in as much work as the associates. The guess associates were all like family. The hardest part of my job was not being able to work there full time. The most enjoyable part of the job was making customers smile, feel comfortable, and dressing them up.
Great place to work, competitive and interactive environment, my favorite job i've had to date
Customer service, floor sales, cashier (Former Employee) –  Wrentham, MANovember 12, 2015
this was probably my favorite of all my past jobs, great atmosphere, gave me a ton of hours, got to make alot of friends at this store and always got along with the management as well. I got to compete with my fellow employees to try to make sales and got to interact with people all day long.
Pros
discount on clothing, alot of great coworkers (like a family), competitive but friendly enviornment
Cons
was a far commute for me, treatment of people varied, when holiday season ended the hours were drastically cut
Floor Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CAApril 3, 2016
Typical we would provide a welcoming costumer service environment. What I learned is how to be social and out going to new people. The management was always spot on they made sure to stay on top of things. There where no serious challenges. The enjoyably part of the job was being able to make people happy.
Guess management
Sales Associate/Stock Lead (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 23, 2016
A typical day at work for me is usually going in at 2 pm to leave around 7 or 8 pm. This is a very annoying schedule because it is in the middle of the day and very few hours to really compensate for losing a full day to those hours. I have learned a great deal at this job, with customer service, time management, strong work ethic, multi-tasking, etc. The management we currently have is the best, we are a very close group. The same with the co-workers every one is really nice and everyone helps each other out when needed. The hardest part of the job is completing 60+ boxes with in 4 hours usually alone because we do not get enough hours to have 2 people working for shipment. The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers, they are a great group of people and it makes work fun.
Pros
40% off on clothing
Cons
no breaks, few hours in the middle of the day
Fun environment to benefit career goals.
Footwear Specialist/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 21, 2015
Guess gave me great practice with styling both men and women of all different shapes and sizes. It was a very fun learning different sides of retail.
Pros
Building my styling portfolio.
Cons
No benefits and management developement.
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 20, 2016
I'm am over going I'm am an over achiever and go above and beyond to make my customer happy. I like to change myself to conquer my goals for the day or for any period in time. A typical day at work consists of selling my product and having a set goal of money and merchandise to sell. Welcoming customers in and telling them thank you for shopping when leaving. The co workers there are really enjoyable but the hardest part of the job is knowing if your sale is really given to you when you cannot ring your customer out. The most enjoyable part of it is knowing you have satisfied your customer on what he or she wants.
Pros
Given associates incentive money
Cons
management was not good on communication and assistance
A Process
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 17, 2016
It is very strictly managed with little to no compensation or work benefits. The managers don't give much thought about their employees. Managers would copy and paste schedules when hours are meant to be determined by sales per hour (sph). There was a lack of communication amongst managers and sales associates. Managers lacked taking responsibility for their store and often blamed sales associates. Favoritism was involved. Even though I was top sales associate for several months because I got paid more I'd received less hours compared to everyone else during times of cutting back. Overall not a good experience. I learned a lot but the process was grueling and majority of the time unpleasant and stressful.
Pros
40% off merchandise
Cons
everything else
I would have a second job if you plan on working here.
Sales Associate/Shoe Specialist (Former Employee) –  Central Valley, NYDecember 27, 2015
In my opinion, working for Guess Factory store is fun but the environment and management is unprofessional. Favoritism is apparent and room for advancement is little to none.
Trendy Fashionable Store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lake Grove, NYFebruary 10, 2016
A typical day at work would be slow because business was slow. I learned a lot about retail and marketing management. Management was fair, but was very short giving on hours for the staff. The hardest part of the job was not working enough throughout the week. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers and assisting them in choosing outfits and accessories.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Not Enough Hours
Competitive workplace,providing outstanding customer service
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CAMay 29, 2016
Guess has given me the ability to become a strong leader, fashion stylist, and manager. Typical day would be see what our numbers were for Last Year and do our best to make more than the previous year. GUESS challenges their employees to be the best at selling by giving personal goals each day, you must exceed that goal. Co workers can be supportive, depending on the team.I have gained a clientele from working with GUESS, and better knowledge of all things operations.
Pros
Knowledge of retail industry, fast management growth
Cons
Well being of staff, no commission
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waipahu, HIJanuary 18, 2016
During the time I was working, I was enrolled in college. Balancing was a bit rough because I was also helping my family's business. Overall, working here was fun and fashionable. I learned the art of selling and how to sell to customers. I also learned how to interact and speak to customers without being shy. My co-workers were nice and made a great team. The management here also taught me about conversions and making goal sales.
Pros
workers discount
Cons
working holidays
Fun fast paced envoirnment
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Wrentham, MAJanuary 18, 2016
I felt i had great relationships with the management and employees. Not really much security or honesty in the job. I was promised a certain amount of hours on hiring me and getting me to leave my old job and once the holiday season died out my hours went from 45/50 a week to 8 and I had rent to pay at the time. more or less miscommunication.
Pros
Work with people, fun environment, fast paced
Cons
short breaks, long days, open late
Able for advancement within the company
Co-Manager, Lead Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 29, 2015
It is definitely a fun and knowledgeable environment working for GUESS. You as a manager make the most out of everyday for the team. You set standards and hire the best of the best. Therefore, everyone is able to do their job and enjoy doing it at the same time.
Pros
Benefits, advancement, training
Fun work environment.
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WA, Las Vegas, Nv, West Covina, CANovember 17, 2015
Nothing bad to say about this company. Worked for Guess for 8 years. Worked my way from part time sales associate, to full time merchandising assistant at a top 5 store, to assistant manager of the new G by Guess line. The company always had some sort of contest involving cash prizes or clothing to get the associates excited. The benefits were great and it was just an overall fun environment! I really did not want to leave this company but the G brand lost its steam so I came to a bump in the road where I was bored after 4 years of being an assistant manager and wanted a bigger challenge but there was not much of opportunities at the moment. I highly recommend working for this company, the discount is good as well as the quality of the clothing and people!
Pros
fun environment, great discount, great benefits, company cares about its employees
Too many things required from you with little pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Central Valley, NYDecember 21, 2015
You work well with great people. Yet they do not give you the best pay. And if they do promote you they do not give you a big raise.
Very fun working environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Town of Deerpark, NYFebruary 11, 2016
I simply loved everything about the atmosphere! The customers, associates and managers were always happy and supportive. Training was on par and all needs of the workers and customers were met. The lunch breaks were rewarding as well as the monthly worker benefits.
Pros
Good training, longer breaks, positive environment, very fun
Cons
Poor security
love to be able to grow in the fashion filed
Stock Lead/ Visual (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 7, 2016
come in early mornings, working on shipment if there was any to be placed on the floor,
if there is no shipment to be done, then we would walk the store for sell through and flex or merch new product onto the sales floor for business reasons.
management was very well, great to communicate with. great managers.
aside from managers i believe i had an amazing staff to work with. all work very hard for what they all did. and put 110 % into any work/ task they where given.
but sometimes when you have an amazing team and great along with everyone like they are you family, one of my challenges where to where business need to be first, and put friendship to the side.
Great work environment
Sales associate / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Commerce, CAJuly 28, 2015
Make sure we reach our goals for the day, have great customers service such as greeting our customers and tell them about our promotions going on for the week and ask if they have any questions we can assist them.
I learned how important teamwork really is on a hectic work environment and taught me how to work the cash register.
The management in Guess was great our managers did a great job on achieving our goals and putting the employees in the right areas where we perform at our best at work.
My co workers were great they were honestly my favorite co workers by far. We all treated each other like family and we had a lot of respect for each other and always was looking out for each other on and off work.
The hardest part working at Guess was getting use to working on holidays because we would get a lot of traffic but I adjusted to it fast and I worked on all the holiday work days and was open to doing closing shifts.
The most enjoyable part for me was helping the teenagers help find what merchandise to buy for school or dates because I've been in that position as a teen we all want to wear what's trending and look great at the same time.
Pros
employee discounts and keeping up on what's the next trend on fashion
Cons
minimum wage and no benefits