guilford county schools

guilford county schools Employer Reviews

Environment is not conducive to advancement for minorities.
Principal (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: good schools
Cons: lack of advancement
Progressive county but overall management of the county has declined.

Working with great students and supportive communities has been a great pro.

The hardest part of working for GCS is navigating "clicks."
Good work conditions. Supervision was encouraging and supportive.
Lead Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: i was able to plan my day according to needs of the students and nurses.
Cons: no lunch time was given.
Typical day of work involved supervision of unlicensed staff. This work included case management of parent and students needs. I obtained my Certification as a School Health.
Passion for students and teachers.
Substitute Teacher Assignment (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCJanuary 7, 2015
Working as a substitute teacher gives me the opportunity to pour into the lives of many students from various backgrounds. I enjoy teaching as well as being an ear for all children.
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCDecember 30, 2014
Transporting children to and from school and field trips safely. This can be a rewarding job for someone that loves working with children but it can also be a stressful job when there are unruly children on board. Management is just that management. There are co-workers that have been driving for years and will help you or talk to you to help make the job a little easier. The hardest part of the job is not having a supervisor to back you and the enjoyable part is being able to work with children.
extensive office management skills to obtain a position in which a strong dedication to the total development of children and a high degree of enthusi
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCDecember 18, 2014
Pros: postive influence on students life, summers and holidays off, being a role model and direct students in the right direction
Cons: no lunch breaks, training sessions
While working in Guilford County Schools, I was able to find my true passion. I hope to soon be a future educator in which I can be a model for my students and make sure they become successful. While working as a ACES group leader and a teacher assistance I learned the importance of time managment. One thing is for sure is that working as an educator your days change from day to day and most times you will have to alter you schedule. I believe in any professions there are pros or cons but indivduals should start a career in which they really enjoy and have a passion for.
GCS is a good place to work for the most part but could be more teacher friendly
Teacher (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCDecember 2, 2014
Once great benefits and decent pay has consistently eroded into a situation where teachers are now working many hours for very minimal compensation. Guilford County Schools isn't the reason for this, it is more of the state's doing but it all flows downhill. There are great principals and assistant principals at the various schools but each school has a different culture. You just have to find the right fit and culture for you. Central Office could be a lot more teacher friendly and work more closely with the teachers.
interacting with children
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCNovember 29, 2014
I love working with the teachers and getting to know the children.
Substitute Teaching
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCNovember 18, 2014
Pros: ability to choose available jobs yourself
Cons: travel expenses are mandatory and out-of-pocket; low-paying and thankless job
A day in the life of a substitute teacher is one of not knowing what to expect. Since a substitute accepts jobs as they are made available, one never quite knows what he or she will be walking into. The students may be wonderful and need barely any supervision, or they may need constant supervision and correction simply to get what little work done that was left for them. The hardest part of the job is being treated by the students like you are a nobody or just a cheap stand-in for their actual teacher, despite being fully qualified to teach them.
Fun workplace
1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Grade Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCNovember 11, 2014
This was the beginning of my career working with children. This place was a steeping stone to go forth in the education field.
GCS works hard to improve student achievement.
Media Specialist (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCOctober 24, 2014
Pros: benefits and retirement
Cons: stress and hectic days
The hardest part of my job is the schedule. I teach four classes back-to-back. Then I have one hour for other tasks and lunch. I finish the day with two more classes and open check out at the end of the day.

My principal is a caring professional with the students' best interests foremost in everything he does.

I enjoy working with people: students, parents, and other educators.
Productive and Fun place to work with children
❸ Work as an ACES Group Leader (Current Employee), Falkener Elementary SchoolOctober 20, 2014
A typical day at work involves setting up centers for children, fill out paperwork for children's safety, come up with service learning lesson plans and activities and teach those plans and activities to the children. You have to have a sense of urgency with children. Working with kids has humbled me and enabled me to have a teachable spirit and sense of urgency towards all things important.
Computer Lab Tutor
Computer Lab Tutor (Former Employee), High Point, NCOctober 13, 2014
My job as a Computer Lab Tutor entailed supervising the school's Computer Lab Monday through Friday. I was responsible for instructing basic computer classes for first through fifth grades, preparing the school's internal slideshow, and assisting with online computerized standardized testing. School management and co-workers were wonderful to work with.
Very loving environment with a direct impact on the leaders of tomorrow
ACES Group Leader (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCOctober 7, 2014
Each day as an ACES Group Leader is wonderful. The interactions with elementary students' keeps you fresh and new in the world we live today. Being a responsible role model, a mentor in which these children can depend on is uplifting. With the right team of co-workers no task is impossible. We work in groups to maintain the focus of making our students happy and pressing them towards the best they can be in life.
Hours of Work
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCAugust 3, 2014
Pros: hours and days off
Cons: monthly pay
The hours are great if you have children in school. You are off when they are out of school. Also, if you are in college the hours are great for that too.
Always learning something new, never a dull moment
Program Administrator I (Current Employee), Guilford County Schools-PayrollJuly 26, 2014
I enjoy the fast pace but am growing tired of the constant turnover in our department that we have experienced in the last two years. As soon as a new person is trained we have another person leave.
Educate he Best is Yet to Be
Data Entry/Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJuly 24, 2014
Pros: blessed to have the opportunity to teach.
Cons: finding the technique for each child.
The school system was one of the most rewarding jobs I've ever had. Each day was a new opportunity to open the eyes and the mind of child. Then savor the moment that they grasp each new challenge that is put before them.
Excellent school experienes
Educator (Current Employee), Burlington, NCJuly 15, 2014
Pros: great school
Excellent school experiences, multicultural and socioeconomic diversification.
The Good and Bad
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCJune 18, 2014
Pros: field trips and meeting new people
Cons: no pay for the summer and no benefits until you are a permanent driver
My day normally starts at five in the morning and I have a two hour break between 10:00 am and 12 noon. I responsible for transporting children to alternative schools. what I have learned from my job is how to use time wisely and efficiently, created a system for me to make all documentations for mileage and time cards. my supervisor and co-workers are very helpful with what changes are made because of bad weather, early release for students and in changes in my schedule routes. The hardest part of my job is maintaining household expenses during the summer months. Bus driver are only ten month employees. The most enjoyable aspect of my job is caring for the children that ride my bus and developing a relationship with their parents and teachers.
Challenging yet rewarding place to work
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCJune 16, 2014
Pros: discounts, 10 months, mon-fri work week
Cons: low wages, parental support/involvement, job security
Experiences differ depending upon position and location. My experience ranges from extremely challenging to extremely enjoyable. Throughout my time working within the school system, I have learned and employed several skill sets that would be useful in other job markets. Being able adjust, deciding what is appropriate and necessary in performing daily task such as creating program documents, disciplinary actions for students, handling parent/student altercations, etc. I have, for the most part enjoyed the individuals I have worked with. Who you work with matters just as much as where you work. The most difficult part of the job is having to work within a system that may not always seem effective and occasionally feeling unproductive because of a lack of support from supervisors. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the children you work with grow and mature academically as well as socially.
free time during day
CDL School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Greensboro, NCMay 29, 2014
Pros: easy job schedule during day free time
Cons: students behavior
day starts at 6.25am pick up elementary kids 20 min break at school then pick up middle school and high drop off at middle school 8.20 then drop off high school at 8.30. park bus at 8.50am .learned how to deal with bad situations with students on bus.supervisor leanette is good and backs school bus drivers.hardest part of job is dealing with attitudes on bus. helping kids with there day on the bus and morning at school.

1 2 3 4