Guitar Center Employee Reviews

Amazing Staff and Culture
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAJune 19, 2017
I would like to thank Guitar Center for being the heaven sent that they are. Number one stop for Music gear and accessories. The atmosphere is so easy going and they still get the job done.
Good place to grow in the music industry
RENTAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 19, 2017
Tons of opportunity to learn retail or study pro audio gear and techniques used in today's modern studios. Good management structure. Overall good place to work....
Pros
Surrounded by cool equipment
Cons
too much turnover of junior sales staff
It is a great experience
Lead Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 18, 2017
This company has the potential to teach a musician what he needs to knlw in order to be part of the music business. It also has great discount and a family related atmostphere.
Bummer
Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 18, 2017
This company will not invest in your talent. I have held several roles with Guitar Center ( all store level). Before I get into that, let's start postive:

Pros:
-Flexible work place. Most managers support your creative careers outside of the company and allow you to nourish that while you are still employed.
-Lots of talented people will surround you on a day to day basis. The staff will feel like your second family, and they will likely be the final string that ties you to your job before you cut it loose.
-Potential for a sales driven individual. (Someone in my store makes upwards of 70k a year through commission.)

Unfortunately, after 5 years with the company the cons out-weigh the pros 9/10 times.

Every management role at the store level is completely underpaid comparatively to similar retail establishment. To give you an idea, I've held a role at store level that is 2nd from the highest ranking person at a branch, and I made less that 25k a year. Even the GMs at large stores receive under 50k.

It's a corporation...plain and simple. This company would rather have high turn-over and rush someone through sub-par training to pay them $9/hour than invest in loyal individuals who already know the business and are passionate about our customers. The only way someone at Guitar Center can make a livable wage is if you are on the sales floor and your mission is to cut corners to drive up your monthly numbers.

5 years. 5 CEOs during that time. COUNTLESS staff changes and upper management reorganization, but the story never changes. Work here if you need a day
  more... job to supplement your nightly gigging schedule. But If you need to keep food on the table for your family, there are several other better retail and sales opportunities for your talents to shine through.  less
Pros
great staff and work life balance
Cons
management and compensation structure.
Fun Atmosphere
Pro Audio Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 18, 2017
Commission-only job that forces employees to work and clean/organize store during non-business hours. They technically pay you minimum wage for these hours, but they must be bought back from commissions.
Pros
Perks for meeting/exceeding sales goals.
Cons
They take advantage of their employees.
Corpoate Gone Bad
Accessories Associate (Former Employee) –  North Olmsted, OHJune 18, 2017
I'm sorry I wish I could give a better review, I had overall a great time working here but it was a very male dominate workplace with where I felt several of the employee were intimidated by a female in this field. sad.
bad work environment, horrible leadership with very unprofessional individuals
Worker bee (Current Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAJune 15, 2017
bad work environment, horrible leadership with very unprofessional individuals, individuals will do anything to get ahead. no clear idea of where it's going no responsibility taken for anything
June 16, 2017

Hey "Worker Bee", thanks for writing. We had an awesome Town Hall last week where Ron and other MC members spoke clearly about our strategic initiatives and those responsible -- I hope that answered your question!

Great for people who are passionate about music.
Sales and customer support (Former Employee) –  Draper, UTJune 15, 2017
I liked the workplace environment, friendly coworkers, competitive sales but that's to be expected. customer service is more relaxing but you don't get to talk about music as much as sales, but less stress on customer service side than sales, for sales you need a goal to reach from there you'll do great if you don't you're constantly talking to the supervisor, you also get to talk to big product companies that make the guitar, mics, etc. overall great place to work.
Pros
Always talking about instruments!!! friendly coworkers.
June 16, 2017

Thanks for the review -- I was just in your store -- and for the insight on our customer service vs sales jobs!

Simple Job. Tools complicate the process.
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 14, 2017
Working for Guitar Center was an eye opening experience. There are plenty of roles one can pursue, but don't expect any handouts. I think it's healthy that you must prove your worth to advance in this company, however, I do think that a restructuring of management is in order. You'll have quite a few people to take orders from, so learn to prioritize what is most important--The Customer.
Pros
Working around great people and great gear
Cons
Difficult work/life balance, complicated management structure.
June 16, 2017

Thanks for the review and the feedback about our in-store management structure -- we're always looking to improve!

Enjoyed the people I worked with.
Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAJune 13, 2017
Fun place to work good management. They gave us perks like tickets to shows. Management was friendly and cared about the employees. Most employees had work there for a long time.
Pros
Good perks.
Cons
None.
June 16, 2017

Thanks for the review! I'm still pretty new here but already I feel the Ohana!

Want to know more about Guitar Center?

Ask a question
Okay if you're used to working at a call center and selling stuff/easy job
Bilingual Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 12, 2017
Inbound sales calls during the day. updated office and break room. day consists mostly of sales and customer service calls. Team leads are mostly never around to help with calls.
June 16, 2017

Thanks for the review -- our Contact Centers are an integral part of our operation! Our most talented "ninja" sales agents also make outbound calls. Talk to you manager to learn more if you'd like a growth opportunity.

Solid and Positive Place To Work
Operations Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 8, 2017
Everyone I work with is wonderful. The managers are positive, understanding, and helpful. Overall, it is a very positive place to work. When the store gets busy, balancing customers can be a little bit difficult at times, but as I said, the managers are very helpful and typically lead from the front and by example.
June 16, 2017

Thanks for the review! I loved that you mentioned that managers lead by example -- a key component of our leadership philosophy!

Not worth it
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 8, 2017
Absolutely the most unorganized and poorly managed company I have ever worked for. The pay is bogus, the turn over rate is extreme and the company does NOT care about you. You are just a number in this "Walmart Corp" of music stores. Rules change back and forth month by month and there is no room for growth. The company changes CEOs once every 2 years.. they were all incompetent.
Pros
Decent employee discounts
Cons
No hours, No benefits, incredibly unorganized, poorly managed
June 16, 2017

Wow - thanks for writing. I see you are a current Associate; if you'd like to take it off-line, give me a call -- I'm in the directory. Charles Smith

Incredibly fun work environment for musicians.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Williston, VTJune 6, 2017
Day to day work is normally a fast paced environment My department's workload is consistently busy and the sales floor aspect keep everyone on their feet and interacting with customers and other associates alike. The workplace culture varies from store to store (at least stores I've worked in) but it feels that the stores tend to attract a certain type of employee. Besides your typical musician looking to work in a music store, I've found must employees tend to have the same mindset which makes for a fun work environment. Store level management varies from place to place, I have had good experiences and bad. Management going higher up into the corporate level however seems to be all over the place unfortunately.
Pros
Working in a music store is like working in a giant toy store!
Cons
The job can be very corporate
Fun place to work
Guitar Repair Technician (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 3, 2017
Replace strings on guitar inventory
Not many repair tools to work with
Management laid back
Workplace culture is music
hardest part of the job, learning disk operating system on point of sale terminals
Most enjoyable part of the job, playing great guitars
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Not a good variety of repair tools point of sale terminals are difficult to learn
June 16, 2017

Thanks for writing the review. Having the tools to do your job right is important. If you find yourself in this situation, speak to your manager and we'll make it right!

They don't want good full-time people anymore!
Platinum Room and Vintage Instruments Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 2, 2017
After 10+ Years at the Sacramento store, 8 different pay structures, 5 CEO's & 4 Store Managers, 2 remodels and a fire.... Salary, back to hourly, cut in hours over the last year, short staffed, disastrous warehouse, computer issues, inventory issues, I was a top rider and was good at my job. They sent me on several factory tours. My customers loved my advice. This company has lost touch with its' key employees in the trenches, pushing the gear out the door. I was harassed by a former employee, at work, asked for them to be removed, as I felt my safety was truly at risk. When the store manager refused to take action to remove the threatening customer, I said, I needed to leave. For this, I was fired.
Pros
Used to be Great
Cons
Going down FAST!!!!
Fun to work at environment, however youre not compensated properly for Responsibilities
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 1, 2017
Working at Guitarcenter is fun however, a lot more is expected of you than youre led to believe at first. Management is usually pretty nice. lots of pressure about selling warranties
Pros
Hour Long Breaks, Discount on gear
Contract Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village and Frederick MarylandJune 1, 2017
I was part of the recruiting team on a temporary assignment. It's my second time back and I love this place. The people are warm and friendly - the environment is stimulating and creative. I was lucky enough to attend a quarterly meeting and this was a career first for me - the meeting kicked off with a LIVE BAND. How much better can it get.
I love it and hope to come back on a third assignment some day! Love Guitar Center and Music & Arts!
Pros
Great environment, free guitar lessons at lunch, foosball, pacman and ping pong
Fun workplace
Department Manager/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 1, 2017
While a fun workplace, Guitar Center does not promote higher sales very well. It's commisssion system needs work, and managers are required to badger you about all metrics, even if you are doing well. All of my coworkers have been fantastic, and so have most of my managers. Corporate needs the most work of all.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pay
Cool people
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAMay 31, 2017
The management was all over the place and really had a knack for choosing favorites. No way to advance no matter what you do unless your besties with the boss. I mean actual besties. Also if your a girl good luck with harassment...They do nothing about it and they treat women like second class citizens there.
Pros
Made cool friends
Cons
bad pay, uncomfortable situations, and no room to grow

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guitar Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9