Guitar Center Employee Reviews in United States

Guitar Center is pretty chill
MERCHANDISE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAJuly 25, 2016
I pretty much worked on my own unless I needed help. pretty chill environment. The people were cool and helpful. I learned a lot of new programs and new experiences. Can't complain.
Positive and Fun Work Environment
Rentals Associate (Current Employee) –  Commack, NYJuly 14, 2016
Working at Guitar Center has taught me a lot, and being able to work with musical instruments and pro audio gear/PA equipment every day is an absolute pleasure.
Good place for a stepping stone job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Orange, CTJune 23, 2016
typical day - Helping people with their musical needs.
Unfortunately, it's a cut-throat retail job like any other, wheel and deal, and the all mostly want a deal for no good reason.

I DO actually like helping customers find what they're looking for, and informing them about gear and such.

Co-workers are fine, we're all in the retail struggle.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
no breaks except for lunch. Most of the shoppers are terrible.
Meh,
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  OregonJune 14, 2016
I loved this job, I loved all things related to this job. I had trouble with the wages and achieving a work life balance. It is a typical retail driven environment that has reached so far away from the real true craft of being a musician. The benefits were awful the pay was desperate, always a dangling carrot and disappointment at the end. I had to train people to sell stuff and compete against me while trying to be the best in the store to set an example as well as take care of administrative duties and high sale approvals.
Pros
Guitars everywhere and so much amazing gear.
Cons
Compensation and Management
Only a temporary position
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 13, 2016
I worked only from Black Friday until January second. Hard to appropriately state a review because of the holiday's formalities. They hired me for extra help but I finished assignments too fast. Leaving myself idle a large majority of the time. With the same deals online in comparison to store, many people preferred to spend their time there. Making it harder for in-store retail.
Pros
Pros, nine dollars a hour for something I enjoyed
Cons
Limited hours due to a lack of an actual need for help.
A place for musicians
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 10, 2016
i absolutely loved working here. a typical day included maintaining warehouse organization, locating items and marching them on the sells floor, security for the front door as a last line of defense against theft, and cleaning restrooms. i learned a lot more about music and the creativity that goes into it as well as skills and business side of the music industry. the management was incredible. everybody was down to earth and were very understanding of their workers. my co workers were incredible. every one had a passion for music and when we had the chance that is all we could ever converse about. everybody was very helpful and worked as a team to get our daily task completed. the hardest part of the job was the truck days. the warehouse would receive over 300 boxes of musical equipment every Tuesday and Thursday. most boxes weighed somewhere around 30lbs-50lbs. continuously doing that for 4 hours before lunch did become tiring sometimes. the thing i enjoyed most about guitar center is that i thought it was a perfect fit for me. my genuine passion is music and just being around all that musical equipment and learning more and more everyday about music was enough to keep a smile on my face overtime i clocked in.
Pros
discount on expensive music equipment, and benefits
Cons
no cons. i absolutely loved working their
fun place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 31, 2016
Days are usually 8-10 hours, dealing with lots of customers coming in and calling. From Guitar Center I learned how to multi task and lead a team of associates to be as profitable as possible. Co-workers are good people, mostly musicians so always have a lot in common with them. The hardest part of the job would be the multi tasking projects, reports, phone meetings and customer service at the same time. The best part of the job is helping people achieve their dreams!
Pros
employee discount
Cons
having to move to move up in the company
Great Place to Work
Piano Tutor and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2016
Great place to work!

My co-workers were honest and hardworking!

The Company is a great place to work!

The management was good and respectful!

The hours were flexible!

The work was good!

The location is nice!
It's retail
Sales and Training Manager in Tempe, Arizona (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 23, 2016
Working for Guitar Center was fast paced and exciting, but ultimately sort of empty. It was the right fit for me for a long time, but I eventually outgrew it.
Was great job for a young musician
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMay 19, 2016
Most of my colleagues were great and learned a lot from many people here. For a young musician the experience of working with so many like minded musicians helped shape me. Felt that management while I was there was stretched too thin and that trickled down to the other staff that we had. Some very enjoyable moments but also had some very stressful moments to.
Pros
Fun and bright colleagues and good discounts
Cons
Below average management, poor hours and very little compensation
Music Retail Leader
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 15, 2016
Working at Guitar Center could range from helping famous musicians such as Eric Johnson and Gary Clark Jr to a grandmother and her granddaughter.

Fast paced sales and service surrounded by phenomenal and driven musicians was an exciting experience.

Winning contests and the most prestigious customer service award really exemplified the company's mission statement, "To be the best".

I thrived and enjoyed working Too much.

It was unfortunate when a venture capitalist company bought them out and ruined the culture and core values.
Pros
Surrounded by people who shared my passion in a work environment that supported growth
Cons
Bought out by an unrelated company and it was time to go
Constant policy and pay structure changes,low morale
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 8, 2016
Currently investment bank owned, typical day is never enough time in the day to accomplish objectives and goals. Management consistently cutting labor hours while adding more tasks. Coworkers are great however due to the constant labor cuts and changes morale is low. Hardest part of the job is trying to lift the staff spirits and keep them engaged on the required daily tasks. Currently there is nothing enjoyable about this job.
Pros
N/A
Cons
over worked
Best Job I Ever Had
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, VA 23112May 7, 2016
Working at Guitar Center was absolutely wonderful. The break you are given is plenty. Everyone is one big family. Management was always understanding and willing to compromise with schedule related conflicts. Guitar Center was my first job and I got a feel for how businesses function and communicate.
Pros
long lunches, positive environment, good hours
benefits
Don't work here
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 1, 2016
Management consistently promotes failure. They hire for the sake of "diversity" and not qualification. Employees are not held accountable for breaking rules if they are friends with the boss. They don't know how to make schedules, as the store is frequently understaffed, because management gets a kickback for keeping the store from going over the budgeted hours. You will be told you are full time and get just 30 hours a week, and yet still only make 9 dollars an hour. Corporate constantly changes the rules day in and day out so there is no consistency for what you can and can't do. Some of the managers do shady things like ring up large sales under a buddies employee number(managers are on salary, sales associates aren't) so said buddy will make sales even if they aren't working that day. I was there for 2 years and the pay structure was changed twice. We were forced to sign arbitration agreements or lose our jobs, and we were informed of said arrangement the day of. I worked with some very cool people, but management is an elite clique and it takes a lot of brown nosing to get there, which includes changing your political and personal belief system to match that of the general managers and above. It is run by people who have no idea how to run a business. Most of the employees are lazy stoners and drunks, who eventually end up "failing upward" into management. They lack critical thinking skills and likely would not know the difference between a Fuzz and a Phaser. Just buy it so they can get commission.
Pros
Discount on gear.
Cons
Pretty much everything other than the discount.
Management Issues
Warehouse Manager/Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Mayfield Heights, OHApril 13, 2016
No security. Loss prevention is an issue. Favoritism is an issue. Customer service is an issue. Upper management is an issue.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Everything else.
Productive and fun workplace
Category Manager (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAMarch 18, 2016
Always on your toes and non-stop creativity is what I enjoyed. The management was great as were the co-workers. Great atmosphere to work in,
Pros
People
God Awful
Sales/ Design/ Asst Mgr (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CA, South Florida, TX, New YorkFebruary 6, 2016
Retail in general can be a rough career choice. I know it well, having 20 years experience in the field. Guitar Center is far and away the absolute WORST company I have ever encountered. It is amazing that they have survived this long with the way they treat people and the environment and culture they seam to encourage. The majority of managers I have encountered seem to have no people skills at all. They do not treat people with respect, trying to take advantage of any and all opportunity. It seems many employees treat their customers similarly as well, and sadly, this is also encouraged. I have come across one or two managers to the contrary, on the east coast. The California culture is typical "Good Ole Boy". I say "east coast", as I worked in 6 different stores for them, in 4 different states. The only positive I can take from them is, they forced me to finally have ENOUGH, go back to school, get my degree, and seek a new career. STAY AWAY, STAY FAR AWAY!!
Pros
Cons
see above
It really sucks to be you if you work for Guitar Center.
Guitar Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 24, 2016
If you believe in Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy as well as flying pigs you will do well in this setting.
Pros
Musical Instuments
Cons
The bull they feed you with a spoon.
Great place to buy music equipment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CADecember 15, 2015
Guitar Center is a great place to buy your music equipment. They offer employee discounts, per se. good place to meet people that's involved in the industry
Pros
good place to meet people in the entertainment industry
Cons
high turn over rate.
It Used to Be Better
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MADecember 14, 2015
The job, benefits, compensation and management used to be great. However, after being purchased by Bain Capitol, the place went down dramatically and the company lost a lot of great people as a result. Later, Bain sold the company to Ares, and things got even worse. Pay was lowered, jobs and positions eliminated and the veteran employees who made the most were terminated.
Pros
Working with interesting people/customers
Cons
pay, benefits, advancement

2.8