Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center Employee Reviews

Staff was excellent to work with and family oriented
Component Technician (Former Employee), Houston, TexasJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Availabilty of work hours
Cons: management
Staff was excellent to work with and family oriented. Availability to move up in the company was there but due to politics this was not an easy task.
Great experience for new grad phlebotomist
Phlebotomist/Apheresis Technician (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 5, 2015
Lots of hours, Usually 50+ hours a week. Slows down during summer months, lucky to get 40 hours a week. You definitely get lots of phlebotomy experience. Fun, fast paced environment. Lots of room for growth and promotion.
Was a fun place to work for.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Houston, TexasJune 9, 2015
The blood center was a great place to work for. I had learned a lot in the time I was employed. Worked many blood drives, and ended up working at a fixed facility. I learned to take platelets and plasma from donors, as my skills had improved during the time I was there.
great place to work
Apheresis technician (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 1, 2015
having a family can be a little difficult but the over all support of the company is there for you. Being able to travel and meet different people and have fun while working makes everything worth while.
Productive and caring staff
Receptionist/ Customer Service Representive (Former Employee), Sugarland, TexasJune 1, 2015
Pros: good atomsphere to work
Cons: none
Excellent management and excellent co-workers , everything flowed well. No complaints, Staff assisted where ever needed, team work was excellent. Staff kept full communication to keep work flow running smooth
good place to work if phlebotomy is your dream
Apheresis Tech I (Current Employee), Katy, TXMay 27, 2015
Good place to work, long hours, lots of teamwork involved in this setting. Co workers aren't the best, but management is fair and understanding.
Great for first time phlebotomist
Phlebotomist I (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 13, 2015
The hours are long the pay could be better with the amount of work involved. There is absolutely no balance for anything other than work. Great place for a first time phlebotomist trying to get comfortable in the field.
deliver blood to hospitals (Former Employee), Houston, txMay 11, 2015
It was a great place to work very friendly management and great employee benefits. This job requires to pay close attention to details as a route driver.
Its a great place to work at
Laboratory Technician II (Current Employee), headquatersMay 7, 2015
Its a really great place to work at, except management politics comes into play.That part really sucks. I dont really have any other complaints.
Not the best place to be rooted
Clinical Laboratory Specialist (Current Employee), Houston TXApril 15, 2015
This a great company to start your career. The culture and management make it impossible to see long term growth. The people are amazing and the compensation competitive. If you are a new graduate....gp for it!
great place to work with people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TexasDecember 24, 2014
Pros: meeting lots of great people
Cons: lack of career growth
I had a great experience but there didn't seem to be a lot of room to advance.
Excellent company
Mobile Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Houston, TXNovember 30, 2014
Nice environment to work in. Nice people and excellent training.
Wonderful Place to work
Donor Relations (Former Employee), Houston, TXSeptember 14, 2014
I learned a lot about self management at this job. It is a great place to work to learn empathy and understanding for a client.
The company is what you make it
Mobile Team Supervisor II (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 17, 2014
Pros: travel and meet all types of individuals
Cons: core values and mission statements are not followed by each department.
Stay true to who you are and let no one change it. It is a good place to start, however may not be for everyone. Demanding and you must be reliable. I have nothing bad to say because I was there for 12.5 years. Loved what I did and how it impacted someone's life.
Phlebotomist II (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 14, 2014
Easy to advance within company. Cares about well being and advancement of employees.
Exceptional Company to work for.
Assistant Shift Coordinator (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 29, 2014
Pros: i like knowing that i play a part in saving lives daily.
Cons: distance from home to job.
My days as of now are overseeing the Research and Manufactured area. Making sure clients order are confirmed, filled, and shipped. I assist the supervisor on the floor making sure all patient use products are labeled and processed.
productive and fun workplace with travel
Manager (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 1, 2014
This job allows you to travel all over the Houston Metropolitan area and get paid for your travel time. They also train you, although you do have to have phlebotomy experience.
I helped load and unload donor vans, screened donors, drew blood, computer data entry, maintained equipment, and customer service.
The hours varied from day to day depending on where you were going but you always got your time for lunch and breaks.
Great Job
Apheresis Tech II (Current Employee), Houston, TXMarch 20, 2014
Its a great company to work for. Easy going staff, and very helpful.
If You Don't Have A Family Or You Think Money Is More Important Then Time With Family This Job Is For YOU!
Phlebotomist/ Apheresis Tech. II (Former Employee), Houston, TXMarch 18, 2014
Pros: lot's of overtime & great pay if your willing to put up with the bs
Cons: everything else
I worked for this company for almost 7 years. At first it was okay working a float schedule, 6 days a week at 120+ hours every two weeks, opportunity to grow was okay, but there are way to many chiefs and not enough Indians. This company and what it stands for, saving lives and committing for life to saving lives by donating is a great thing to do for the people who need blood, but being and employee you have to literally commit your entire life to this job. In the past year and a half the new director of donor collections wanted to enforce the whole "Quality of Life" but that turned into only under their needs. We went from working lots of over time to nothing more then 40 a week, without notice. Which was okay cause we were getting that time with family that we did not always get and we were grateful for that, but after the turnaround rate went up to almost 50% we lost that time with our family cause, now they didn't have enough people to cover shifts and again without notice. You went from no overtime to 55+ hours a week. And to be honest its not the company and all that the company stands for it's the employees and the one's who are running the show. Half of them don't deserve to be in the positions they are holding. They would chose a friend to run under them before the chose person who is more then qualified for the position. I loved working for the blood center, but it was the people who pretended to care about your life and really didn't that ruined the whole time spent there. People are so two faced and its like working at one big high school. Everyone is in everyone – more... business and don't let someone see you following to close to someone, you are then considered in the crowed and yes it all depends on the crowed of people you follow weather you succeed or not. And beware, they all seem to act like they care about your life, but don't trust information with anyone. It will soon to be heard from someone else's mouth but with a little more added. They don't care about there employees. Example: Your in a crowed hot room, lets say 80 degrees, and you call back to let them know, the temperature is out of range. They then tell you put the BLOOD in a place in range.... OK WHAT ABOUT THE STAFF THAT'S ABOUT TO PASS OUT FROM THE HEAT??? And on top of that, is pregnant... They don't even care to find a better solution, in efforts to make the staff comfortable... they only care about the product you are collecting. And yes while that is the most important thing to gain revenue... What about the people that go out every day, hot or cold, rain or shine? Without your staff, to go out everyday, there would be NO BLOOD. But Donor Collections is at the lowest part of the pyramid... when we are the most important part, but we were always treated like the last.... And for those who still work for the company will never say what I'm telling you now for the fear of losing their job. They don't care cause this company doesn't have to have a reason to fire you... Oh and miss work and don't provide and excuse, of provide one cause it doesn't matter to them... It still will always count against you... Oh and don't get injured on the job either, if your put on light duty for anything even if you are pregnant, please note... you are only allowed to be placed on light duty for 30 days, any more then that you are forced to take leave. If you have PTO you can use that but if not you will be on leave without pay. This is a hostel work environment, you have to deal with the staff and everyone around you wanting things their way not accommodating to the donors, when they are in fact, the only reason the company is still running. Without the donors, no one there would have a job. – less
High turnover rate
Mobile Phlebotomist I (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: ot, pto, holiday pay, the meals and gifts provided by companies
Cons: sometimes no breaks, no set hours, poor management(they make the rules as they go), they screw you out of your taxes
Very stressful job. They make the rules as they go. The equipment is extremely heavy. You will have no room for a social life. Mostly everyone there dates each other.