Gulf Interstate Engineering Employee Reviews

Lots of Politics
Business Analyst Responsibilities (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 16, 2016
The power remained in the hands of the very top and everything - again everything - required several layers of approval. Very little employee empowerment.
Pros
9/80 work schedule
One of Good Company to work
Principal Engineer, Electrical (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 29, 2016
Learned about Pipeline Industry. All Co-workers are co-operative and ready to help each other. Good management. Well established medium size company. Work benefits are good.
Pros
Have a employment
Cons
No Challenge. No room to advance.
Excellent firm to work fo
Chief Electrical Engineer/Lead EE on projects (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 31, 2016
Best pipeline engineering firm in the world. Quality of work output is closely controlled, giving excellent construction packages.
Pros
High Quality standards
Cons
Difficult to get work out because of extra paperwork
Exemplary company leadership to build and increase market penetration.
Project Director (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 16, 2016
Co-workers are highly trained and accurate in their work delivery. Business development campaign includes a representative from the technical organization, for a well-rounded client presentation.
Pros
9-80 work schedule.
Good place to work with nice atmosphere
Senior Engineer, Instrumentation & Control (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 22, 2016
GIE provides a nice environment to work at. The people that works there is very acknowledge and they are easy to work with. It has been a great experience.
Family Environment
Expeditor - Procurement Department (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 24, 2016
It was like a family. Unfortunately, being laid off since the projects were null. When busy, it was exciting and I was able to cross train.
Pros
Humility
Cons
being laid off
productive workplace
I&E Designer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 24, 2016
this is a great place to work. great flexible schedule, but depending on the department you work for, some have issues with one having a personal life.
Nose to the grind stone

Hard Nosed
Worker Drones
Assuming Cost Controller Position
Breaks with co-workers
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Acknowledgement
Great Environment
Principal Designer (Mapping)/Checker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 29, 2016
If you're a hard worker and a team player, Gulf is a great place for you. The people are all hard working as well as they are laid back. great teams to work on with experienced co-workers who are good at what they do.
Productive when work is avaiable. a good place to work.
Principle Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 19, 2016
GIE is service company of course and a good place to work when they have work. Management keeps you busy on projects till the end of the project or a new one is going to start. I enjoyed working there and have been fortunate to be assign to good projects where my co-workers and I work together as a team. The benefits are also good. I adapt to new version to AutoCAD quickly and had some experience in Bluesky.
Pros
Flex hours, company functions
Cons
Driving 50 miles to work. Parking was a problem.
Woderful and fun company to work for, I wanted to retire from there.
Document Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 5, 2016
I enjoyed working at Gulf, Flexibility is great. Does not micro manage, allows you to be you and expect a great quality. The company was off every other Friday..
Pros
Pay was good, off every other friday
Excellent work place to learn the Oil and Gas Industry
Cost Estimator / Project Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 27, 2016
I enjoyed being able to work all departments throughout my project assignments. The company provided many opportunities for career and personal enhancement. I also appreciated the freedom to be an individual within a large corporation.
Challenging Project
SR. PIPELINE PRINCIPAL DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 18, 2016
Great Teamwork and Quality Control made work flow and repeat clients.
Upgraded Auto cad software.
Great coworkers.
Changing deadlines hardest part of the job.
Social benefits
Pros
Classes, kealthcare benfits
Top down management culture. Pervasively engineering and drafting oriented.
GIS Technician II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 10, 2015
GIS 'Geographic Information Systems' is a dynamic system used to capture manage and represent information. GIE leadership is adept at understanding the power of GIS but slow to implement it.
My hope is that in due time GIE will take a professional leap in developing its core 'FEED' functions with respect to emerging ESRI technologies.
The hardest part of the job was working in an entrenched department culture that lacked organizational leadership. The most enjoyable part of the my time there was developing GIS standards and having the flexibility to research and implement job processes that streamlined work tasks.
Pros
9/80 days, time off.
Cons
Antiquated business culture.
A highly organized, fast pace company driven for client satisfaction.
Senior CADDS Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2015
A company that doesn't hide it's many years of experience. A company that will listen to new ideas. A company that will set aside time for training individuals.
Pros
Free parking. Not a micromanagement company.
Cons
Could do away with the "Provisional Employee" title.
A high quality pipeline engineering company
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 23, 2015
Gulf Interstate Engineering provided me with a rewarding work experience. Working there allowed me to interact with many good people from many types of backgrounds and knowledge bases. While there, I learned a wealth of knowledge about pipeline systems and the pipeline industry. The work was diverse, challenging, and satisfying. GIE always demonstrated a commitment to its employees, their well-being, and opportunities for learning.

Unfortunately, being laid off is a reality of business, but I would certainly consider making a return if an opportunity to return presented itself.
Pros
Plentiful PTO hours, several organized socials per year, very nice building, occasional free breakfasts, quiet work atmosphere, flexibility, low employee turnover
Stale Environment
GIS Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 13, 2015
There's always work but the environment is stale. It makes one not look forward to getting to work.

In order to move up the ladder, all you have to do is just stay there a long time. The people who are promoted are not the smartest, most educated, or most innovative.

The recruiters tell you that there are always activities like parties going on. Not true.

The management is out of touch. For example, when I started some of the employees were upset that they were not receiving bonuses, but upper management was receiving one. Instead of bonuses, all of us received these HUGE coffee table books documenting the company's 50 years. Suffice to say most people threw away these books.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Stale
Very good company to work for and they have a lot of social functions
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 11, 2015
My first job everyday is entering all deposited cash receipts. Data entry and research. I love the Accounting team that we have. We are like a family. I love that our Company has 4 social functions a year.
Current Employee
Design Group (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 30, 2015
Have a lot of proposals out there yet nothing coming in, Had a "town hall" type meeting last week with the President assuring layoffs were over. Kinda felt like it was something that was just said to keep people at bay instead of looking

Upward mobility is hard to come by even if a position is open.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Good ol network
Work Place Review
Senior Pipeline Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 27, 2015
Interesting and informative working environment, learn to work as a team and improving communication on individual project work, management working and encouraging good team work, co-workers interesting to work with. Hardest part of the job is the perfection of the project before deadline, the enjoyable part of the job is working as a family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gulf Interstate Engineering. Our community is ready to answer.

Gulf Interstate Engineering Reviews by Location