Gun Lake Casino Employee Reviews

eveybody is a team
dealer (Current Employee) –  table gamesMay 23, 2013
Never have had a bad experience here. Most who do get fired or let go have had multiple chances before this happens. Management will fully cooperate with you if you cooperate with them. How you conduct yourself and cooperate is a reflection upon the management teams in place. I have fun with guests and encourage guests to have a good time while at my table. This not always the case people do get angered when they lose, that is out of my control, which goes against popular belief. Most think that I/we as dealers are better dealers if they lose and poor dealers if the guest wins. This is not the case, and management knows this they recognize good and knowledgeable dealers and are willing to work with you. Many feel intimidated by others based on thier titles here, and management tries to let us know everyone started as a dealer and have been in the same shoes as us. There are endless opportunities here. If you push yourself you can advance fast and become very good at what you do. There is always something new to learn. Your math skill will improve. Dealing here is the best way to learn all games, including core games, would encourage anyone to apply here.
Pros
easy to get to know people, benifits, and pay, management is very knowledgable, room to advance, time passes quickly when busy, breaks every hour and twenty mins, very fun
Cons
have to work hollidays, small stresses at home (sleep related), unhappy guests when losing, every person is expedable top to bottom, can be slow at times.
Working there had its up and downs
Food and Beverage Server (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIAugust 27, 2013
Work would consist of talking with guests while taking their orders and delivering them their food. At the end of each shift, side work and rolling silverware was required. I've learned how to manage stress better then in the past and have become a much better waitress and worker.
The most challenging part of the job was making sure I was paying attention to every detail the company asked of me, while still making sure the guests were happy. The most enjoyable part about the job was feeling as if I was part of a big family. I had the best co-workers anyone could ask for. They were kind, funny, considerate, helpful and good people at heart.
Pros
free meals, paid breaks, i was paid well.
Cons
frequently went 8 hours (plus or minus) without a break, rarely left work on time, once a week i would to work until 1:00a.m while being expected to return at 8:00am, employees are not treated equally
Facts about GLC
Sound Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIAugust 29, 2014
Pros:
1. GLC pays slightly better than most employers
2. Health insurance is awesome
7. Occasional freebies such as MI Adventure tickets and concerts
8. Nice employee lounge with TV, couch, Wii, Pool table, Foolsball
9. Culture that forces employees to treat one another like customers
10. Fair chance for advancement within the compnay

Cons:
1. Most directors and managers lack formal education
2. Intense office politics. It's not what you know, it's who you know...
3. Lack of a reasonable termination process. They'll fire you like that
4. Most importantly, lack of a deversified workforce. I'd say less than 12 black employees in a compnay of more than 700!!
Hide the fact they can fire you anytime because they are sovereign
Table Games Dealer (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIAugust 11, 2014
They can fire you anytime they feel like for any reason, even if it is a lie. They know they can't be sued for wrongful termination because they are tribal and no court has any jurisdiction over them. Be careful who you talk to or around! If you say something that is overheard by someone, who does not agree with you, they can report you and you will be fired! They like to fire full-time employees and replace them with part-timers so they don't have to pay benefits. They create an environment of mistrust and deceit by doing this. Very toxic work environment.
Pros
free meal per shift (though not very good)
Cons
ugly uniforms, co-workers distrustful, hr dept head is a liar and a witch.
Guest Focused
Cage Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wayland, MISeptember 3, 2015
My department was particularly fast paced and stressful. Perfection was the expectation for every shift. I learned about the complex operations of a casino. For the most part management was impressively good at listening to and implementing ideas presented by team members. The inter-department work culture of the casino was fun, friendly and promoted positive interactions. Hardest part of the job is HANDS DOWN the schedule. Nights, weekends, holidays. With very few personal days allowed a year. It was difficult to balance work and personal life when getting time off simply was simply not possible.
Pros
Paid breaks, meal and uniform provided, reliable income, solid benifits
Cons
location, holidays and weekends, mediocre pay, red tape
Fun work place
Slot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIApril 22, 2015
I would go into security and get my money of $10000.00 which I had to carry to pay out to customer and make change. Greet customers playing at the slots and make it a fun place for customers. fill paper in machines when need be.

What I learned at this job is better customer service.

The management team was fun and always willing to help.

The hardest part of the job was not being full time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the customers and putting a smile on their face and give them a feeling of a friendly place to be.
Pros
the company feed us on our breaks and lunches
Cons
not full time and hours were not set
You can make great money-if you're willing to sell your soul to the casino.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIDecember 8, 2012
The money & benefits as an hourly in the beverage department are awesome. However, the department overall is the most dysfunctional, unprofessional, inconsistent nightmare I've ever seen. Management is so ignorant and are bitter about the fact that they make less money than the people who work for them. They expect you to cater to their every need without ever getting any favors in return and as soon as you don't you will see how quickly they try and push you out the door. HR is shady too, it makes it hard to get problems corrected.
Pros
good money, good benefits
Cons
stressful, shady, unprofessional
The job was very fun and entertaining.
Slot Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIJune 4, 2014
I had a lot of fun paying guest big money on their visits. I loved the benefits and wages at this company. I learned how to handle a lot of stress in a high volume workplace. It was a pleasure to have the management that I did, they always were there when needed. My co-workers were very fun and energetic, last not least very helpful. The hardest part of the job is when the floor would crash, and we had to deal with 1000 or more angry guest. I enjoyed every bit of this job. My favorite part was paying the big money to the guest that won the jackpots.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
horrible attendance policy
A Productive and Fun Place to Work
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wayland, MIAugust 6, 2015
A typical day at work is mentoring a young dealer's mind to learn proper procedures and game protection while providing the best customer service possible to our guests. The hardest part of the job is maintaining a thick skin while our guests are losing their money and blaming the casino staff while they play a game of chance. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you have taught someone a concept or way of doing things and you are there for that moment when they actually "get it" and you can see it on their face.
Pros
Healthcare, amount of vacation
Cons
Grumpy customers, cheaters
Not a fun place and stay clear of the politics
Count Team Member (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIMarch 7, 2013
Way too much politics and management not doing there job. Long hours fort minimal pay. Dont ever have a problem with anything human resources will give you lip service and u will never get any resolve. Poor communication and lack of professionalism. Not a place to work for if your looking for a class place to work.
Pros
not many just good lunch food
Cons
long hours low pay unprofessional management and no hr people to help with problems

Want to know more about Gun Lake Casino?

Ask a question
Enjoyable, Toxic
Lead Guest Service Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIMay 16, 2012
I enjoyed working there at first but as I moved into the Lead position I truly got to see the true colors of this company, the daily operations were not consistant, the gaming industry is interesting. The hardest thing was the mental and physical demands of my position. The most enjoyable was how funny the guests could be I also got listen to music all the time. I have learned the pros and cons of gaming
Pros
medical, free food, great pay
Cons
toxic
fun place if you can handle the stress
Table Games Dealer (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIAugust 21, 2013
Dealing BlackJack can be a very fun job. Great people looking for a fun time while you are there. The job itself is very exacting and demanding, while the management is a mix of great people and those who make demands that are sometimes impossible to meet. Most of the workers there are great people working together to make it a great place.
Pros
free lunches, great employee relaxation room, great pay and perks
Cons
demanding schedules (odd times), exacting work that can result in termination at any time
Fun Central and World Class
Director of Security & Safety (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIJanuary 6, 2014
Days are never typical at Gun Lake Casino. Change is the name of the game in a young casino. Management seems to really care about their Team Members. Hardest part of the job is the hours. Casinos are open 24/7 365. Hours can often be demanding as a member of management typically 50 - 60 hours a week.
Pros
free lunch, travel and training opertunities
Cons
Fun place to work but hours are grueling
Table Games Dealer (Former Employee) –  Wayland MIOctober 21, 2014
As a dealer you need to be very focused but at the same time entertain your guests. The people you work with are great and for the most part so are the guests. Communication not so good with management sometimes. The hardest part of the job was the hours (7 pm to 3 am) and on your feet for 8 hrs. Loved entertaining and getting to know our guests..
Nice place to work.
Valet Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIMay 5, 2014
Very busy work environment. I enjoyed meeting many new people. Company benefits were great. paid medical, vacation and paid time off. Hardest part of my job was under staffing within my department. Team moral was low, as issues were repeatedly ignored by management. Unequal enforcement of rules. Lots of favoritism.
Pros
lots of diversity.
Cons
lack of department moral, lots of adversment between employees and shifts.
It was a very unique experience working for Gun Lake Casino.
Utility Slot Machine Technician (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MINovember 20, 2015
It was a very difficult and hostile work environment. Some team members were often singled out and used as scapegoats in a lot of situations. The management was not supportive of its members which would cause a lot of mental stress.
Benefits
Cons
Flawed management, Poor situation handling, Generally degrading and stressful for team members
Challenging yet fun place to work.
GUEST SERVICE AMBASSADOR (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIOctober 29, 2014
Everyday you met someone new. Not one day was exactly the same as the other. I had great co-workers, great leads but management of the departments and overall was awful. The part of the job I did not like was calming vulgar people but I loved the kind people I had the pleasure of talking to.
Pros
benefits, paid breaks and lunch, free lunch
Cons
management
Far from the city, they don't like intelligent employees.
dealer (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIOctober 30, 2012
The management, particularly HR are very unprofessional. They don't have to follow state/ federal laws. They over hire dealers and the full and part time dealers suffer from lack of work and low toke rates. It's a good place to 'break-in' and go to another casino to work for real money.
Pros
free food
Cons
smoke, uneducated management.
Enjoyable place to work
Team Dining Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIJune 17, 2014
Serve the employees breakfast, lunch and/or diner.
How a casino operates
Friendly encouraging management
Friendly co-workers
Fast paced, hard to keep up at times
serving and chatting with team members
Pros
free meal, excellent insurance
Cons
fast pase for one person
Good pay...
Host Bartender/Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Wayland, miSeptember 12, 2012
The pay is good in the bev department. And he benefits are amazing... The managers will fire you for anything and HR is kind of shady. The morals of some people who work there are lacking
Pros
free lunch on break- paid breaks- awesome benefits
Cons
smokey

Comment – October 22, 2012

Most unqualified management staff I have ever seen. Not the place to be if you have half a brain--they are extremely intimidated by intelligence, especially in women. The same can be said for Human Resources. They will fire you if you dare call out any wrong-doing. Remember that this is a sovereign entity, and your rights are not protected under state and federal law.

Comment – March 7, 2013

I WORKED THERE FOR 2 YRS AND FOUND THE PAY WAS TERRIBLE HOW U WERE TREATED WAS TERRIBLE. I HAD AN ISSUE AND HR DID NOTHING AND EITHER DID MANAGEMENT. THERE IS ALOT OF SHADY PEOPLE AND YOU CANNOT ADVANCE LIKE SOME OTHER PLACES. OF COURSE IF YOUR TRIBAL U HAVE THE TOAST OF EVERYTHING. ONE OF THE POOREST RUN CASINOS IN WEST MICHIGAN I WILL NEVER STEP FOOT IN THAT PLACE EVER.