Gun Lake Casino Employee Reviews in United States

Native American gaming facility, only 5 years established.
Server (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIMarch 1, 2016
Good place to be if employed as a local resident. Unfortunately, their focus is not on food service, but gaming, as a priority. And my department suffered because of lack of focus. Great benefits for full time employees. Management very unfocused.
Pros
Free lunch, no cost for health benefits for single employees.
Cons
Bad promotions, lack of focus, bad department management.
Guest Focused
Cage Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wayland, MISeptember 3, 2015
My department was particularly fast paced and stressful. Perfection was the expectation for every shift. I learned about the complex operations of a casino. For the most part management was impressively good at listening to and implementing ideas presented by team members. The inter-department work culture of the casino was fun, friendly and promoted positive interactions. Hardest part of the job is HANDS DOWN the schedule. Nights, weekends, holidays. With very few personal days allowed a year. It was difficult to balance work and personal life when getting time off simply was simply not possible.
Pros
Paid breaks, meal and uniform provided, reliable income, solid benifits
Cons
location, holidays and weekends, mediocre pay, red tape
It was a very unique experience working for Gun Lake Casino.
Utility Slot Machine Technician (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MINovember 20, 2015
It was a very difficult and hostile work environment. Some team members were often singled out and used as scapegoats in a lot of situations. The management was not supportive of its members which would cause a lot of mental stress.
Benefits
Cons
Flawed management, Poor situation handling, Generally degrading and stressful for team members
Drama, Poor Management, Watch your Back!
Valet Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIJanuary 5, 2016
A typical day at work is never the same. There are winners and losers, regulars and new people, complainers and nice guests. I learned how much I care about people at this job. Watching people who couldn't afford to lose begging their friends and family on the phone for more money, regulars talking about their finances and how they just can't stay away... and you can't even give them a flyer about gambling addictions. Yeah, some people win. However, for every group of people usually only one person wins and the rest are really mean and rude towards you about them losing their money.

Management is the worst I have ever seen or heard of than any other establishment! The communication is poor between managers in different departments causing chaos. Management is often bias and plays favorites. It's very rare that management is respectful toward their team members and are genuine and kind. Co- Workers are hard to trust because the more people get in trouble, the more people get fired, and that makes them more likely to get a better shift. Unless your the type that can easily blend in and talk as little as possible without coming off as rude, someone will find a way to get you in trouble and get you written up.

The best part about GLC are the benefits. Other then that, I would never want to return to that place as an employee. No one is secure in their job unless they are shown constant favoritism.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
management, co- workers, drama, job security, communication, appreciation
Facts about GLC
Sound Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIAugust 29, 2014
Pros:
1. GLC pays slightly better than most employers
2. Health insurance is awesome
7. Occasional freebies such as MI Adventure tickets and concerts
8. Nice employee lounge with TV, couch, Wii, Pool table, Foolsball
9. Culture that forces employees to treat one another like customers
10. Fair chance for advancement within the compnay

Cons:
1. Most directors and managers lack formal education
2. Intense office politics. It's not what you know, it's who you know...
3. Lack of a reasonable termination process. They'll fire you like that
4. Most importantly, lack of a deversified workforce. I'd say less than 12 black employees in a compnay of more than 700!!
Hide the fact they can fire you anytime because they are sovereign
Table Games Dealer (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIAugust 11, 2014
They can fire you anytime they feel like for any reason, even if it is a lie. They know they can't be sued for wrongful termination because they are tribal and no court has any jurisdiction over them. Be careful who you talk to or around! If you say something that is overheard by someone, who does not agree with you, they can report you and you will be fired! They like to fire full-time employees and replace them with part-timers so they don't have to pay benefits. They create an environment of mistrust and deceit by doing this. Very toxic work environment.
Pros
free meal per shift (though not very good)
Cons
ugly uniforms, co-workers distrustful, hr dept head is a liar and a witch.
Table games dealer loved the job
Security Officer/Table Games Dealer (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIFebruary 24, 2016
Got to meet a lot of great people. Wish I never left to go to another job. Nothing bad to say about this company. I am trying to go back and work for them.
Pros
Loved it
Cons
Nothing bad to say
Fun work place with lots of room for expansion
Room Runner (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIApril 10, 2015
A typical work day was usually consisted of working in a fun environment with great people and communicating with the locals as well as others.
Pros
Excellent benefits and co workers
Cons
Short breaks
The job was very fun and entertaining.
Slot Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIJune 4, 2014
I had a lot of fun paying guest big money on their visits. I loved the benefits and wages at this company. I learned how to handle a lot of stress in a high volume workplace. It was a pleasure to have the management that I did, they always were there when needed. My co-workers were very fun and energetic, last not least very helpful. The hardest part of the job is when the floor would crash, and we had to deal with 1000 or more angry guest. I enjoyed every bit of this job. My favorite part was paying the big money to the guest that won the jackpots.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
horrible attendance policy
You can make great money-if you're willing to sell your soul to the casino.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIDecember 8, 2012
The money & benefits as an hourly in the beverage department are awesome. However, the department overall is the most dysfunctional, unprofessional, inconsistent nightmare I've ever seen. Management is so ignorant and are bitter about the fact that they make less money than the people who work for them. They expect you to cater to their every need without ever getting any favors in return and as soon as you don't you will see how quickly they try and push you out the door. HR is shady too, it makes it hard to get problems corrected.
Pros
good money, good benefits
Cons
stressful, shady, unprofessional
Challenging yet fun place to work.
GUEST SERVICE AMBASSADOR (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIOctober 29, 2014
Everyday you met someone new. Not one day was exactly the same as the other. I had great co-workers, great leads but management of the departments and overall was awful. The part of the job I did not like was calming vulgar people but I loved the kind people I had the pleasure of talking to.
Pros
benefits, paid breaks and lunch, free lunch
Cons
management
A Productive and Fun Place to Work
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wayland, MIAugust 6, 2015
A typical day at work is mentoring a young dealer's mind to learn proper procedures and game protection while providing the best customer service possible to our guests. The hardest part of the job is maintaining a thick skin while our guests are losing their money and blaming the casino staff while they play a game of chance. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you have taught someone a concept or way of doing things and you are there for that moment when they actually "get it" and you can see it on their face.
Pros
Healthcare, amount of vacation
Cons
Grumpy customers, cheaters
great job as long as you are kissing butt
BARTENDER (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MINovember 19, 2015
the casino itself is great but the beverage managers are terrible self centered and don't care about their employees at all only about themselves
Nice place to work.
Valet Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIMay 5, 2014
Very busy work environment. I enjoyed meeting many new people. Company benefits were great. paid medical, vacation and paid time off. Hardest part of my job was under staffing within my department. Team moral was low, as issues were repeatedly ignored by management. Unequal enforcement of rules. Lots of favoritism.
Pros
lots of diversity.
Cons
lack of department moral, lots of adversment between employees and shifts.
Fun work place
Slot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIApril 22, 2015
I would go into security and get my money of $10000.00 which I had to carry to pay out to customer and make change. Greet customers playing at the slots and make it a fun place for customers. fill paper in machines when need be.

What I learned at this job is better customer service.

The management team was fun and always willing to help.

The hardest part of the job was not being full time.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the customers and putting a smile on their face and give them a feeling of a friendly place to be.
Pros
the company feed us on our breaks and lunches
Cons
not full time and hours were not set
eveybody is a team
dealer (Current Employee) –  table gamesMay 23, 2013
Never have had a bad experience here. Most who do get fired or let go have had multiple chances before this happens. Management will fully cooperate with you if you cooperate with them. How you conduct yourself and cooperate is a reflection upon the management teams in place. I have fun with guests and encourage guests to have a good time while at my table. This not always the case people do get angered when they lose, that is out of my control, which goes against popular belief. Most think that I/we as dealers are better dealers if they lose and poor dealers if the guest wins. This is not the case, and management knows this they recognize good and knowledgeable dealers and are willing to work with you. Many feel intimidated by others based on thier titles here, and management tries to let us know everyone started as a dealer and have been in the same shoes as us. There are endless opportunities here. If you push yourself you can advance fast and become very good at what you do. There is always something new to learn. Your math skill will improve. Dealing here is the best way to learn all games, including core games, would encourage anyone to apply here.
Pros
easy to get to know people, benifits, and pay, management is very knowledgable, room to advance, time passes quickly when busy, breaks every hour and twenty mins, very fun
Cons
have to work hollidays, small stresses at home (sleep related), unhappy guests when losing, every person is expedable top to bottom, can be slow at times.
Clerk
clerk (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIJuly 22, 2015
The supervisors dont care about there team members, they have there favorites and its very clear! What is said in celebrations some of that stuff is true and some of it is false. Not everyone is there to work and enjoys working there, its clear in the actions of the team members.
Pros
good pay
Cons
favoritism of team members by supervisors
Good pay...
Host Bartender/Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Wayland, miSeptember 12, 2012
The pay is good in the bev department. And he benefits are amazing... The managers will fire you for anything and HR is kind of shady. The morals of some people who work there are lacking
Pros
free lunch on break- paid breaks- awesome benefits
Cons
smokey

Comment – October 22, 2012

Most unqualified management staff I have ever seen. Not the place to be if you have half a brain--they are extremely intimidated by intelligence, especially in women. The same can be said for Human Resources. They will fire you if you dare call out any wrong-doing. Remember that this is a sovereign entity, and your rights are not protected under state and federal law.

Comment – March 7, 2013

I WORKED THERE FOR 2 YRS AND FOUND THE PAY WAS TERRIBLE HOW U WERE TREATED WAS TERRIBLE. I HAD AN ISSUE AND HR DID NOTHING AND EITHER DID MANAGEMENT. THERE IS ALOT OF SHADY PEOPLE AND YOU CANNOT ADVANCE LIKE SOME OTHER PLACES. OF COURSE IF YOUR TRIBAL U HAVE THE TOAST OF EVERYTHING. ONE OF THE POOREST RUN CASINOS IN WEST MICHIGAN I WILL NEVER STEP FOOT IN THAT PLACE EVER.

Work third shift and don't like it.
UTILITY PORTER (Current Employee) –  Wayland MichiganMay 8, 2014
I don't like the shift I am on and the benifits are great. like my team members that I work with and I have a great night manager.
Pros
insurance
Cons
hours and policys
Great Pace to work !
Valet (Current Employee) –  Wayland miJune 24, 2012
awesome place to work ! Fun Fun Fun great place for advancement! Good benefits package.
Pros
free lunch !!
Cons
24/7