Gun Lake Casino Employee Reviews

Benefits are amazing but no work to life balance
OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Wayland, MIApril 19, 2017
In three and half years I have moved up but, moving up doesn't mean you can have choice days off. Once you do move up you are required to attend training classes. The classes are not scheduled in away that is convenient, I have 1 day a week off and I find myself at work for a training class frequently. I need free time to unwind and I don't get it. I do enjoy the amazing benefits. Our health and dental are all free. we also receive a free meal on break. However, when any complaint about work is brought up they use this as a way to justify the lack in anything.
Pros
free lunch and free health, dental and vision
Cons
no weekends or holidays off, advancement is slow and pay is low usually
Fun place to work and meet new people.
Internal Maintenance, Porter (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIMarch 10, 2017
A fun work envierment and great team members to work with. The bad thing is the always working weekends you have no life out side of work and you most likely wont get a 1st shift job unless you work in the offices.
Pros
Free lunches free heathcare your you
Cons
Short breaks and lots od smoke
Table Games Dealer (Current Employee) –  Wayland, MIFebruary 12, 2017
Great people to work with, great benefits, not too stressful. The hardest part of the job is dealing with some of the customers, but it can also be one of the easiest or funnest parts, depending on who you're dealing with.
Pros
Paid breaks and free food
Loved this job
Table Games Pit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIFebruary 7, 2017
I would still be here if I had not been moving out of state. The staff and employees are the best and the job kept me learning and on my toes. Great experience.
Pros
Great cultural experience
Cons
Late hours
great place to work.
Slot Service Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MI 49348February 2, 2017
i enjoyed my first run at gun lake casino. i enjoyed the vibrant atmosphere. and the people i worked with. i met a lot of lifelong friends through Gun Lake Casino.
productive company but no job security
Table Games Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MI 49348January 29, 2017
At first it was great. As time went by I learned management will fire anyone they don't like. Regardless. If they have to take you out to do it they will and have done this to over 20 employees. I believe it should be on peoples performance and not personal opinion.
Pros
pay was great.
Cons
terminating people cause of your feelings and not on policy
Great work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIJanuary 16, 2017
This was very good place place to work love my job and people I worked with and for. I worked very hard at my job and was very much so noticed for hard work I did I would recommend if was looking .
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Always on your feet and lots bending
I really like working for Gun Lake
Cage Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIOctober 31, 2016
Gun Lake is a nice place to work. They have an awesome benefits package and pay very well. You meet lots of interesting people, some good, some bad. They do try to make your job fun. They also understand that if the team member is happy, so are your guests.
Pros
They pay for your breaks, and provide a free meal during your shift.
Cons
Strict policies
very productive work environment
Cage Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIOctober 29, 2016
a fast pace environment where we make guests happy. learned all about title 31 regulations. management was great we were one big happy family that looked out for each other
Pros
all around great company to work for
Cons
not being able to gamble on days off
Exciting and Fun. There is not many dull moments
Slot Attendant/GSA (Former Employee) –  Gun Lake, MIOctober 10, 2016
I really enjoyed working at the casino. There are a lot of guests that I will miss that came in on a daily basis. I am always happy and smiling but they always made my smile brighter.
Fun workplace, great team members!
Count Team Member (Current Employee) –  Wayland, MISeptember 29, 2016
Gun lake casino is a great place to work, they are very good to their employees. Free benefits, free meals, and much more! It is a fun and inviting atmosphere.
Pros
Free meals, bonuses, and great pay!
Assistant Shift manager
Assistant Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIJuly 11, 2016
Learned the core responsibilities that management entail including but not limited to:
Scheduling
Timecard management
Interviewing
Hiring processes
Training classes
Coaching skills
Team building skills
Fun environment to be in.
Floor Supervisor/Table Games Dealer (Current Employee) –  Wayland, MIMay 20, 2016
It is a great place to work. You get to socialize all day and get paid for it. The only hard part is that most schedules consists of weekends and holidays.
Native American gaming facility, only 5 years established.
Server (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIMarch 1, 2016
Good place to be if employed as a local resident. Unfortunately, their focus is not on food service, but gaming, as a priority. And my department suffered because of lack of focus. Great benefits for full time employees. Management very unfocused.
Pros
Free lunch, no cost for health benefits for single employees.
Cons
Bad promotions, lack of focus, bad department management.
Table games dealer loved the job
Security Officer/Table Games Dealer (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIFebruary 24, 2016
Got to meet a lot of great people. Wish I never left to go to another job. Nothing bad to say about this company. I am trying to go back and work for them.
Pros
Loved it
Cons
Nothing bad to say
Drama, Poor Management, Watch your Back!
Valet Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIJanuary 5, 2016
A typical day at work is never the same. There are winners and losers, regulars and new people, complainers and nice guests. I learned how much I care about people at this job. Watching people who couldn't afford to lose begging their friends and family on the phone for more money, regulars talking about their finances and how they just can't stay away... and you can't even give them a flyer about gambling addictions. Yeah, some people win. However, for every group of people usually only one person wins and the rest are really mean and rude towards you about them losing their money.

Management is the worst I have ever seen or heard of than any other establishment! The communication is poor between managers in different departments causing chaos. Management is often bias and plays favorites. It's very rare that management is respectful toward their team members and are genuine and kind. Co- Workers are hard to trust because the more people get in trouble, the more people get fired, and that makes them more likely to get a better shift. Unless your the type that can easily blend in and talk as little as possible without coming off as rude, someone will find a way to get you in trouble and get you written up.

The best part about GLC are the benefits. Other then that, I would never want to return to that place as an employee. No one is secure in their job unless they are shown constant favoritism.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
management, co- workers, drama, job security, communication, appreciation
It was a very unique experience working for Gun Lake Casino.
Utility Slot Machine Technician (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MINovember 20, 2015
It was a very difficult and hostile work environment. Some team members were often singled out and used as scapegoats in a lot of situations. The management was not supportive of its members which would cause a lot of mental stress.
Benefits
Cons
Flawed management, Poor situation handling, Generally degrading and stressful for team members
great job as long as you are kissing butt
BARTENDER (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MINovember 19, 2015
the casino itself is great but the beverage managers are terrible self centered and don't care about their employees at all only about themselves
Guest Focused
Cage Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wayland, MISeptember 3, 2015
My department was particularly fast paced and stressful. Perfection was the expectation for every shift. I learned about the complex operations of a casino. For the most part management was impressively good at listening to and implementing ideas presented by team members. The inter-department work culture of the casino was fun, friendly and promoted positive interactions. Hardest part of the job is HANDS DOWN the schedule. Nights, weekends, holidays. With very few personal days allowed a year. It was difficult to balance work and personal life when getting time off simply was simply not possible.
Pros
Paid breaks, meal and uniform provided, reliable income, solid benifits
Cons
location, holidays and weekends, mediocre pay, red tape
A Productive and Fun Place to Work
Floor Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wayland, MIAugust 6, 2015
A typical day at work is mentoring a young dealer's mind to learn proper procedures and game protection while providing the best customer service possible to our guests. The hardest part of the job is maintaining a thick skin while our guests are losing their money and blaming the casino staff while they play a game of chance. The most enjoyable part of the job is when you have taught someone a concept or way of doing things and you are there for that moment when they actually "get it" and you can see it on their face.
Pros
Healthcare, amount of vacation
Cons
Grumpy customers, cheaters

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gun Lake Casino. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2