Gundersen Health System

Gundersen Health System Employee Reviews

Gundersen is a fun place to work.
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJanuary 21, 2016
Overall I like working at Gundersen. I love my co-workers and the job has its perks. I am currently looking for better opportunities.
Ever Changing
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Onalaska, WIJanuary 14, 2016
The most enjoyable part about my job are the patients I help and my immediate co-workers. We work so well as a team and collaborate very well about the daily almost hourly changes we review and learn to practice. We train each other on our daily job requirements.
Good Job
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Harmony, MNJanuary 8, 2016
The job was a good job, wasn't too bad. nice coworkers and so on and so forth. I don't feel like I should HAVE to review my previous job just to make a resume and get another job!
A challenging place to work which entices my innate ability to function in a fast pased workplace
Social Worker/Discharge Planner (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIOctober 6, 2015
My review is best described in a personal interview. I have achieved much personal growth and satisfaction from working at Gundersen Health System. My husband relocated which is requiring me to job search as well.
Solid healthcare organization
RN (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WISeptember 18, 2015
Gundersen Health System is an excellent healthcare organization. They treat their employees well and provide good benefits. Work life balance is good as they don't require mandatory overtime and are respectful with your schedule. My co-workers were great and very supportive and management listened to our concerns.
Pros
Nice facility
Cons
Poor cafeteria and terrible parking
great place to work and learn
Radiologic Technologist LaCrosse (Current Employee) –  LaCrosse WISeptember 1, 2015
a great place to work that gives an opportunity and experience in many imaging departments. wonderful equipment and support staff.
Enjoyable workplace with mostly supportive co-workers.
Laboratory Support Technician (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJuly 31, 2015
Days can vary from completely dead to outrageously busy, but for the most part staff just have to deal with it.
Management is good, at least from what I saw of my supervisors. He listened and did what he could with the higher levels.
The staff are friendly for the most part but can at times feel cold.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with patients. Entering a room and explaining why you're there only to have them groan in frustration. A joke that the 'vampires are here' was common.
good place
Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJuly 21, 2015
Lots of opportunities, but sometimes difficult to move up or around. Seems like a lot of external hires where Gundersen used to hire a lot within. Hard to believe that out of the thousands of people that work there that majority of the open vacancies now are filled by external applicants.
Fun place to work.
Intern (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 8, 2015
Everyday was different. I would have several different projects to complete daily. Management agreed with my school schedule and made work flexible to my schedule. My co-workers were always willing to help me if I had a question or needed some advice. Hardest part about the job was leaving, but my connections with my co-workers was most enjoyable.
Poor managerial structure
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  La Crosse WIFebruary 26, 2015
GHS prides itself on beauty, boasts it's energy independence, and dotes on it's patients while ignoring employee satisfaction and though there are many avenues to follow to voice concerns and ask for assistance, whey are all tied to the same place and HR at GHS is the biggest problem.
Pros
location
Cons
poor management, lack of organizations willingness to improve obvious problems
Fast paced energetic work place
Patient Liaison (Current Employee) –  Winona, MNDecember 22, 2014
Enjoyable work environment with hardworking employees. I enjoy my time at work.
Gundersen Health System is Solid Organization
Chaplain Resident (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIDecember 19, 2014
Gundersen Health System is one of the finest hospitals in the upper midwest that does an excellent job at training future health care professionals to care for their patients in a holistic fashion.
Excellent healthcare system with many specialties
Document Coordinator (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIOctober 7, 2014
Large organization that catered the the well being of people at a regional level. Sometimes reporting to different departments that didn't share the same vision. However, all- in-all an experience I never regretted in my work career.
Pros
flexible hours, generous pto and benefit package
Cons
parking
Fun place to work and help patients
Patient Liaison (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WISeptember 19, 2014
GHS is a great place to work with great benifits, pay and people.
evaluations
employee (Current Employee) –  employeeAugust 23, 2014
Be self motivated for your own self interest:
Frequent employee evaluations should be done rather than yearly evaluations.
The Employee should ask for & insist on an every 4 month evaluation from their supervisor.
also ask for every 4 month peer evaluation:
If evaluations are not positive then in your own self interest be motivated to move to a different area or job.
Also, remember human resources dept works for Gundersen not for the employee.
Pros
work with wonderful hard working peers
Cons
hr dept not there to help you. disengaged supervisor
Productive and fun workplace
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  La Crosse WiAugust 21, 2014
Daily work included delivering patient trays, preparing the trays, serving meals to patients and employees. Short order cooking and salad/sandwich prep.
Pros
were allowed breaks, 5% discount, worked around school schedule
Very reliable hours and good benefits.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJuly 24, 2014
I work in the float pool so I've worked with many different populations of patients including mental health, pediatrics, surgical, oncology, cardiopulmonary, etc. I help take care of patients during their stay in the hospital and help them maintain their independence.
Horrible place to work.
Diet Aide (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMay 22, 2014
Kitchen is run horribly. Management has no idea what they are doing or how to treat their workers. Makes it a miserable place to work.
Fine
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMay 6, 2014
Work 4 day a week including every 3rd weekend and on call. I learned a tremendous amount about nursing, patients, coworkers, delegating, prioritizing, communicating and nursing proceedures. The hardest part of the job is not always being appreciated or understood by management. The most enjoyable part is working the the many different people, especially the patients and their families. It is very gratifying to me to make people feel better and to calm worries.
Pros
variety and autonomy, connecting with people.
Cons
burn out happens quickly without strong support from the organization.
Gundersen Health
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIFebruary 19, 2014
While working at Gundersen Health System there are many opportunities for advancement in most departments, though turn over isn't overly high, Gundersen is dedicated to making advancements in technology and patient care, so new positions are created. This is excellent news for the people who are hired for those positions, however, the way HR works is more than concerning. Many people who should have been chosen for positions are passed over because they aren't friends with the right people. People who are more qualified for positions, who have earned positions, are not hired for them if they don't' win popularity contests with the right group.

Gundersen Health System is a great place to receive healthcare, however, with management changes and a lost idea of what's important, that's changing. Patients can hear staff complaining about their job right outside their rooms, there aren't even people at desks to help you in the new hospital so patients and visitors have to wander around to find somebody when they need something, and there is a constant sense of chaos and unhappiness that is felt by the patients. Gundersen was always where I wanted to work when I was growing up and going to school, now it's not a place I wish to remain associated with.

You used to have to have compassion, work ethic, and education to at Gundersen Health - that is no more the atmosphere. One of their clinical managers only has a high school diploma, that used to be a position that was held by a person who not only worked hard at work, but also had the drive to earn an education. It's very odd that
  more... this organization chooses to hire employees with no education when most healthcare organizations are hiring candidates with more education, this is possibly one of the reasons their moral has slipped and employees expectations of themselves has dropped.  less
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
poor management structure, high insurance costs, no dining options for night staff