Gundersen Health System

Gundersen Health System Employee Reviews

Great company to work for. Great benefit package and salary.
RN, Workers Compensation Case Manager (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIDecember 30, 2016
Work M-F 7:30 to 4. I was the sole RN work comp case manager for external patients that attend Gundersen for their care. I daily interacted with providers, outside work comp case managers and claims adjusters. I worked with the patients to ensure they were getting the care required with meeting all insurance regulations. I created and presented work comp presentations to all our providers in the 3 state region.
Positive work Enviroment
Patient Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIDecember 27, 2016
A typical day consists of a lot of team work and support, as well as positive criticism. All of these allows the 6 of the girls that work in my department run the show smoothly and knowledgeably. The hardest part of our day would have to be making sure that each one of them get the help they need and deserve, as well as running a department, but in the end all of that is worth it!
Pros
Good Pay, great co workers
Cons
getting on the same page with the technicians some days
GHS has decided to take the low road and not support the athletic training professoin.
Other (Current Employee) –  Onalaska, WINovember 1, 2016
GHS had the option to increase the salary minimum to help the athletic training staff but instead decided on hourly positions. This will leave some athletic trainers paying for their health care benefits in the summer months. This decision most likely will decrease the overall salary of its athletic training staff and leave them without a consistent pay check . GHS is considered one of the most profitable health care institutions in the U.S. but when it came to supporting the athletic training staff it took the low road instead of rising above the new salary requirements set forth by the government.
Great Place to Volunteer and Be a Part of
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJanuary 16, 2017
I love volunteering here and have been for over four years now, I have grown up going here and love the people and the hospital. I have had opportunities to job shadow here and absolutely love the staff and how welcoming they are. No complaint
Terrible place to be if you're not white
Health care records clerk (Former Employee) –  La Crosse County, WIDecember 13, 2016
Lots of racism. People don't acknowledge you or your achievements no advancements to anywhere. Once you're in your stuck doing same thing every day. Co workers always talk behind your backs, trust no one.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Racists
NOT a Gundersen owned company
Former RN (Former Employee) –  Harmony Care Center, Harmony, MnAugust 17, 2016
This is a one star nursing home that the state should close down. The social worker and the two managers are the true story of three bullies being worse than one. They are constantly hiring due to the fact that smart people don't stay. The managers don't support the staff and there is NO leadership. Don't even try changing this environment, the mix is too caustic. I feel sorry for anyone that comes in with a good heart and tries to change the status quo...unless you particularly like slamming your head against the wall steer clear of this hole. The other ratings on this site are not speaking of this Nursing home. The Harmony Care Center has such a bad reputation they are now trying to hide themselves under the Gundersen Name.
Pros
They have a one star rating, which tells you how bad it is.
Cons
The fact that their doors are still open.
GHS Review
Outreach Athletic Trainer (Current Employee) –  Onalaska, WIOctober 31, 2016
GHS has been a great learning opportunity, it has allowed me to develop many skills and learn from many peers. I feel like I am ready to share what I have learned to better other institutions and better the AT profession.
Good place to work, but a lot of turnover.
Central Service Technician (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WISeptember 2, 2016
The pay was fair, the management didn't seem to be on the same page as the employees, the benefits were acceptable, seemed like the organization was spending way too much money on things that did not affect patient care.
Great place depending on the department.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WINovember 14, 2016
It is a great place to work depending on the department you work in. The pay is good, benefits are good. Some departments are not as accepting as others.
Bleeds professionalism
Claims Supervisor (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJuly 6, 2016
Gundersen was an excellent place to work. The training was fantastic, the team was professional, and culture was caring. Gundersen wants to see their employees succeed! Biggest mistake of my life was to leave Gundersen for a position that was offering me a few thousand more dollars. I'm hoping to get back into GHS soon.

Want to know more about Gundersen Health System?

Ask a question
RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMay 12, 2016
Fast paced and co-workers are wonderful resources. Most will help you through tough situations. The hardest part is handling any angry individuals but that is to be expected in healthcare. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to make an impact in individual lives within job duties.
Pros
Employees willingness to help each other out. Advancement within the organization. Job security.
Cons
can't think of one yet.
It was ok
PSS (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMay 19, 2016
Gundersen was a great organization as a whole but way too many chiefs and not enough Indians. I found that a lot of the nurses were whiny and unapproachable at times. I also found out the hard way that management doesn't keep their promise when it comes to hours and are a bit shady to say the least.
Pros
The girls you work with were outstanding
Cons
Parking, no employee discount on lunches or gift shops
I can't believe the management is allowed to continue to intimidate employees. Many have left which should be a red flag.
Nutrition Services Aide (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 22, 2016
It's rewarding to work with patients The employees are a diverse group to work with, The work goes by quickly. Too many meetings for me. I enjoyed my co-workers, but the management is not professional. They lead by intimidation.
Pros
Good pay and benefits.
Cons
Management needs a major overhaul.
Good place for Volunteers
Gundersen Health Systems Volunteer (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 8, 2016
I really enjoy volunteering at Gundersen. All the people I get to work around are some of the best people I know. The best part about volunteering there is being able to help those who need help. There was never anything truly difficult about volunteering at Gundersen.
Pros
6 Dollars for lunch, Volunteer days, appreciation for help
Cons
nothing
amazing, knowldgabe and caring staff
Health Unit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 18, 2016
Stressful environment, however coworkers worked seamlessly together to help reduce the stress. most enjoyable part of the job was making friendships that last a lifetime. Worst was the job itself, the stress and the frequent management turnovers
Pros
great staff
Cons
too many management/staff turnovers
Well Certified Hospital through Joint Commision
Diagnostic X-ray tech (Former Employee) –  Lacrosse, WIMay 15, 2016
Patient care during exams, communication with coworkers, Check expiration dates on meds, Take call to cover off hours
Gundersen Health
Scheduling Specialist Responsibilities (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIFebruary 2, 2016
A typical day for me is scheduleing patient for appoinments and answer phone call from patients.
I interact with Dr. and help them schedule.
I enjoy my co-workers
Hardest part of my job is scheduling patient in a timely manner.
Pros
free work out area
Cons
Drive from Home
Great place to work and grow
Chaplain Resident (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 19, 2016
Supportive management and progressive upper management walk the walk and talk the talk. Everyone truly cares about the patients.
Ever Changing
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Onalaska, WIJanuary 14, 2016
The most enjoyable part about my job are the patients I help and my immediate co-workers. We work so well as a team and collaborate very well about the daily almost hourly changes we review and learn to practice. We train each other on our daily job requirements.
Great People, Great Company
Finance Intern (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WIFebruary 8, 2016
Fantastic work environment, professional environment but easy to get along with everyone, very friendly. Good compensation and benefits, superiors did care about performance and well being

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gundersen Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Gundersen Health System Reviews by Location