Gundersen Health System Employee Reviews

Great job
Admitting Counselor/Registration Clerk (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WI 54601November 5, 2017
This place is great, as long as you take it seriously and you can work well with others. Some of the individuals here think that since they have been here longer than you they know better/can boss you around, but management is pretty good on talking to them. They're also pretty flexible when it comes to scheduling, but they won't change you from part time to full, they would rather hire more people
Pros
flexible scheduling, great management
Cons
short breaks, working with others
Great place to work, upper management truly cares about the staff
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIOctober 12, 2017
There mare many different avenues for work at Gundersen Health System - both for medically trained staff as well as administrative / support roles.

The culture is shifting at GHS, and shifting in a really good way - not only focusing on patients, but staff as well
I enjoy coming to work every day, and I like my job---- to me this is important
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIOctober 9, 2017
I am the only Medical Assistant in my department. It becomes very stressful at times, but all of the Nurses, PA's, NP's, PSS's that I work with are so helpful, for instance if there are two to three patients here and all need to be roomed, these employees will see this and go grab the patient and room them for me. Sometimes I get stuck doing an EKG and it helps if someone has my back. I like my job here. I have been with Gundersen now for 13 years and have worked in a lot of different departments and this for me is the best. We get PTO according to our FTE's and I think all is fair.
Pros
Great place to have employment
Cons
Need more employee parking
Great teamwork
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WISeptember 16, 2017
I have worked with many of the same providers for almost 18 years. I have become comfort & extremely knowledgeable in my role as a RN in OB/GYN, along with Labor & Delivery. Able to work autonomously due to provider's comfort with my skills & broad knowledge base.
Pros
resources of availability to providers & services
Cons
less pay then competitor
Great Place
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sparta, WIAugust 27, 2017
Great place to work depending on department. Seems as though the Higher Ups spend more money on things that are unnecessary and money that could be given to the staff, but other than that, good place to work. Also, unless your MD, PA, NP, etc. , there are very small pay increases. Many positions are underpaid based on hearing others chirp.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Management knows there's little competition, and it shows.
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJuly 27, 2017
Worked in outpatient dialysis unit for about 2 years. Enjoyed my time at Gundersen Health System. Management was responsive to staff needs. The most enjoyable part was providing direct patient care.
Friendly and caring place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJuly 26, 2017
Gundersen Health System has great reputation for hard working people. It is a good balance of busy and calm. There is adequate training for new people, along with room for growth.
Pros
Wonderful work environment
Cons
Sick people
great benefits
Lead Technician (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJuly 20, 2017
This pharmacy offers very competitive wages. A technician and staff are only as good as their managers. The workplace can be hard and stressful at times.
The best part of the job is helping patients.
overall nice place to work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJuly 17, 2017
friendly people working, and good raises. health insurance is nice only if you like going to gundersen and no where else. Not much more to say so I'm filling in extra words to meet the minimum needed to post
Gundersen is an amazing place to work
CLINICAL PASTORAL EDUCATION RESIDENCY (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WI 54601June 29, 2017
Gundersen is a great teaching hospital with employees who love what they do sharing an infectious love and work ethic. The people there care about the patients and families they care for. It's evident that the staff truly love what they do.
Caring, loyal, fare place to work
Environmental Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJune 26, 2017
I worked there for ten years of my life and felt completely safe, important, part of a team and taken care of as an employee. My life was consistent and fulfilling. I think of it as home and trust them with my life in every way.
Good
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJune 24, 2017
Gundersen Health Systems is a good company to work for. They care about their employees and show their appreciation. Hours are flexable and they work with you.
Can be rewarding, but is high burn out
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJune 17, 2017
While I have enjoyed much of my time, much of management is mishandled due to overloaded leaders and little awareness or support. Often, problems are moved or passed off resulting in burn out and employee disengagement. The hardest part of the job is knowing that so long as so many barriers exist, no one in leadership nor staff can make needed changes. The most rewarding part of the job is assisting staff to grow and develop, which can be very challenging at times but enriching when it pays off.
Pros
Possitve peer interactions and collaboration to solve problems
Cons
high stress, poor system support, high turnover, no work/life balance
Payment Posting Department is Demanding and Catty
Payment Posting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WIJune 11, 2017
Whenever people are treated like machines you can expect that they will become catty and unhappy. Too much work is expected of new people coming in and the training time is over in the blink of an eye. If you are more concerned with accuracy then forget it because they want you to be as I said, machine-like. Most of the people who work in this department are kind and helpful but those that are not keep getting away with being rude, controlling, and catty. It ruins the environment for those who are there to work in a pleasant environment. The younger managers don't appear equipped to deal with the controlling or rude members and that just adds to the dynamic. I know that there are many other departments that may be great to work in at Gundersen, but avoid Payment Posting.
Very nice place to work.
Linen Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMay 29, 2017
In general Gunbersen Health System is a very nice hospital in health care provider in the nation ,very good
Doctor in heart surgery, and ayes institutions , good hospital and if you need heart sergury and emergency
You could fill you are in the right place with a big change of getting a second chance of life.
Pros
Free lunch on holidays
Cons
Good in providing break for employees .
Great Place to work and great people, but VERY bad management!
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMay 17, 2017
Very good place to work and the people are sweet! but the MANAGER on night shift is ROUGH! when it comes to work/outside of work life! bad management!
Pros
Good place to work with great people!
Cons
needs to get rid of the "authority lover" night supervisor, no respect, sympathy when it comes to outside of work life
Fine place to work
Employee Labor and Relations Consultant (Former Employee) –  Lacrosse, WIApril 25, 2017
Great place to work, many fine co workers. A well led organization with like minded staff. A green organization that prides its self on innovation. overall a great place.
Great atmosphere
Patient Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 19, 2017
It has been a great pleasure working for such a great hospital. The people I work with are amazing and everyone here is very accommodating. You meet great people whether it be the people you work with, supervisors, or patients.
Pros
Good cafeteria food. Great benefits
Cons
Can be very busy at times
Gundersen Health Lutheran
RN (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 26, 2017
Low Wages, Management was not that great with staff, poor job culture and team work.
Lunch were short, there was no team work between nurses to ensure you get your break. New nurse residency program is not certified!!!!
Pros
new legacy building
Cons
short breaks, low wages, no room for advancement in position and new nurse to educate better
Awful in regards to employees
CLINICAL DATA REGISTRAR (Current Employee) –  Onalaska, WIMarch 19, 2017
The system itself does not want employees to work from home when they could like other healcare facilities do. This is something that in a year I have watched 6 co workers quit just in my little department
Pros
Cons
Poor management and allowing people to work from home

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gundersen Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Gundersen Health System Reviews by Location