Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center Employee Reviews

Hated it
Hemodialysis Technician (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WIOctober 18, 2017
The employees were not very friendly and I would not recommend this place to anyone. The trainers were extra mean to new hires to see if they could handle the pressure or if they would come back the next day. It was almost like being hazed for a sorority.
Pros
Dont recall any
Cons
employees
Great people
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJuly 13, 2017
I traveled to several clinics in Wisconsin and Iowa. Each clinic had different analyzers so it was nice to see something different each place I went. The people were wonderful to work with.
Pros
Lot of variety
Cons
Not a lot of 40 hours/week opportunities
Occupational Health Departmental Specialist (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJune 20, 2017
I held various positions and each one was better than the previous one. Most of the supervisors are objective with a few that are not.
Rewarding to see the outcome of patients in your area after being discharged from care.
Great Place to work
Health Unit Coordinator Float (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMay 31, 2017
I love my job interacting with families and patients on a daily basis, showing families how to get around the facility. Management is always available to assist when needed. We have a very diverse group of people to work with. The hardest part of my job is telling an employee that they are not able to leave early do to someone calling in sick. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I get to talk with many people every day weather it be families or co-workers.
Pros
lunch flexabilities
Cons
having to tell people no.
Hospital provided great care to patients
Chaplain Resident (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 18, 2017
In my opinion the management / upper echelon administration could do a better job of diversifying the workplace. There are some great incentives for employee well-being and care.
Great location, great benefits
Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lacrosse, WIDecember 29, 2016
Gundersen Lutheran is an outstanding medical facility. It has the top physicians in the area. The location is close to my home and it offers numerous job descriptions. All hours are available and the pay us comparable to other local hospitals.
Pros
Free yearly physical
Cons
Parking
Diagnostic Imaging Technologist (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIDecember 20, 2016
Great place to work. Co-workers were always professional and helpful. Re-located to the Midwest, otherwise I would have continued to work for this company.
Pros
Ongoing education
Great organizational values
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 30, 2016
The organization has great values but the political culture inhibits job growth and personal development. Can be a great place to work. Compensation doesn't match other local or regional organizations.
Gundersen Health System Review
Patient Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIApril 26, 2015
A typical day at work can be difficult to predict. Since I am cross trained in several areas within my department, I go wherever I am needed. I tend to relocate from my scheduled post fairly often to cover other areas that require my immediate attention. I have learned that it really pays off to take the initiative to connect with the patients and visitors each day, and it is a privilege going to work everyday knowing that I am going to be helping someone out with an immediate need. I have also learned that having great communication skills with my management is helpful, and I have been honored to have a great administration working over me. My co-workers know they can rely on me anytime they ask for my support, and I will work to the best of my ability everyday we are stationed together. Since I work in a healthcare setting, it can be slightly saddening when a patient I've been working with passes away. That has definitely been a downfall to the healthcare venue, but my enjoyment of helping the patients definitely outweighs my remorse of the folks we lose.
Pros
There are several opportunities for growth, and Gundersen Health System is a great company to work for.
Cons
The inconsistency in my schedule can oftentimes alter my sleep schedule, and the changes in the schedule can be a challenge to get used to.
excellent position as an affiliate chaplain
Hospital Affiliate Chaplain (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIAugust 6, 2014
• Respond to patient and family needs during times of illness, trauma, death and stress.
• Support an interdisciplinary team approach, working collaboratively with other chaplains, doctors, nurses and hospital staff.
• Trained to use Hospital’s electronic patient charting program called Epic which unites all disciplines providing more efficient patient care.
• Create interfaith religious services for hospital staff and patients.
• Selected as an active member of the Mississippi River Valley Critical Incident Stress Management Team helping debrief and educate first responders after traumatic events.
• Currently on the leadership team for the Mississippi River Valley Critical Incident Stress Management Team

Incredible opportunities to truly help people in need!
Pros
helping people and working with amazing doctors, surgeons, nurses and staff!
In-Home Staff (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIFebruary 2, 2014
This department had closed. They feedback from supervisors/staff was difficult to occur, because the lack of resources.
summary
LPN (Current Employee) –  la crosseOctober 2, 2013
I enjoy my job, my co workers and my patients. I work full time and enjoy coming to work. I work in a fast pace enviroment with other skilled profesionals.
Gundersen Health Systems
Payment Posting/Medical Coding (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIAugust 6, 2013
Not a bad place to work, I wouldn't leave if there was any opening in my field.
Productive workplace that at times was enjoyable.
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMarch 18, 2013
When I first started working at Gundersen, a typical day consisted of multi-tasking and working closely with the physicians as a department secretary. I was a liaison between patients and physicians and enjoyed that. It was a good challenge for me and I learned many new aspects of a medical office (travel arrangements, meetings, etc). Management was awesome at that time and my coworkers were like family. I really enjoyed getting to know some of the patients and helping with their care. The hardest part of my job was when politics took over and the opinions of the employees didn't seem to matter as much. It became more of a "business," centered around money and appeared less about the patients. Our jobs changed drastically and when that happened, some of the "perks" we had gotten previously were taken away and morale suffered. Our department of 97 was later shut down and the work was outsourced.
Pros
health/fitness center
Cons
lack of flexibility
Had a steady job that was essential to the organization
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  La Crosse WIJanuary 15, 2013
I worked as a housekeeper for 10 years. I worked all over the hospital including surgery, critical care unit, pediatric unit. The hardest part of this job was doing isolation rooms where you had to clean everything thoroughly in the room. It usually took anywhere from an hour to two hours to do the room. We all worked together whenever someone needed helped.
Pros
has nice co-workers
Cons
had some supervisors who wouldn't listen to what we said.
Bipolar Atmosphere
Family and Integrative Medicine Clinic RN (Former Employee) –  Viroqua, WIDecember 13, 2012
Many nice people in clinic but many not nice, downright mean people working there that are just ready to stab someone in the back and the management not willing to stop them but instead joins them when it was pointed out to HR. If you are over 30 y/o not the place to work.
Excellent healthcare facility
Service Excellence (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIAugust 5, 2012
The culture at Gundersen is focused toward holistic family and patient care.
Pros
new facilities beign built to serve the community.
Cons
parking
Gundersen Management
Certified Hemodialysis Technician (Current Employee) –  Tomah, WIJune 8, 2012
I feel the management is ok. I feel that we could have better management with our unit leaders. A typical day would be putting and taking off patients from dialysis machines, dressing changes, ordering supplies for unit, answering any machine problems, and phone calls. I get along with most co workers but have had my troubles with some. Hardest part would be getting attached to the patients. Most enjoyable is having the patients thank you for being there for them.
Gundersen Lutheran Hospital
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIMay 17, 2012
I take patient calls all day long also place there orders in the computer for there lunch trays. I also do filing , putting in allergic and many other task.

I am here to help the patients and do my best. I can do to help them have a great day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center Reviews by Location