Gunderson Dettmer is an International business law firm serving the emerging growth and technology marketplace. We represent venture capital firms, investment banks and technology companies in Silicon Valley, nationwide and internationally (ranging in size from start-ups to large public companies) in diverse types of transactions, including public offerings, mergers, acquisitions and venture capital financings. We are committed to being the employer of choice by working together to create an environment in which each of our people can grow, take initiative, and develop a fun, fulfilling and financially rewarding career.
SQL Database Administrator
This position is ideal for people who are interested in managing the Microsoft SQL database environment and who have a desire to expand their technical abilities in a growing international law firm.
Primary duties include:
1) Performing application upgrades that have Microsoft SQL Server based databases as the backend. Working with project teams to plan, execute and implement latest version of applications.
2) Performing best practice maintenance/SQL Server upgrade/migrations on SQL 2008 and 2012. Designing reports in SSRS and converting prior reports into a functional dashboard and/ or automated delivery through SSRS
3) Investigating and resolving production issues that may originate in database or application systems
4) Understanding the functionality, scalability, performance, disaster recovery, and security requirements of our database systems from a network and database perspective
You must be experienced with:
- SQL server tools (e.g. Profiler, DTA, SSMS, SAC, SSCM, PerfMon, DMVs)
- Performance tuning, query optimization, performance monitoring and other related
monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Troubleshooting and resolving database issues including, but not limited to:
o blocking and deadlocking
o log shipping
- Detecting and troubleshooting SQL Server related CPU/memory, I/O, disk space and
other resource contention
- Indexes, including, but not limited to, management, checks, configuration and patching
- Backups, restores, recover models, database shrink operations, DBCC commands,
database mirroring and replication
- Windows servers, security delegation, SPNs and storage component.
- Working knowledge of Database and Application migration protocols
- Experience with maintenance and administration of SharePoint server is beneficial
We also require:
- At least 3 - 6 years relevant experience
- Authorization to work in the U.S
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to work with and manage small teams in database related
- Able to acknowledge requests from team members, provide ETAs on problem
resolution and keep team informed on progress
- The ability to participate in our after-hours support rotation
- The ability to work equally well in a team and on your own
Ideally you will also have:
- A Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or technical school in MIS, CIS,
Computer Science or Business Administration
- Some experience with Visual Studio and Microsoft SharePoint platform would be a plus
- Familiarity with our accounting (Aderant’ s CMS System), Document management
systems (HP’s iManage) and Records Management System (HP’s FileSurf) is a huge plus
- Previous Law firm experience is a plus
- Full medical, dental and vision
- 401(k) with an employer match
- Paid Time Off
If you're highly skilled, excited by the challenge of optimizing our database environment and ready to save the day on a regular basis find out more about Gunderson Dettmer by visiting www.gunder.com.
If submitting your information by email, please attach your résumé and cover letter in MS Word, or Adobe Acrobat PDF file format. If submitting your information by fax, please send to (877) 881-9534.
No phone calls please. Only principals should apply. We do not accept unsolicited agency résumés. Any agency that submits a résumé through our careers site will not be eligible to receive a fee for that submission.