Gunderson LLC Employee Reviews

Uuugh...
Fitter/Welder (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 19, 2017
Like to hire and fire... no job security, unpleasant higher-ups and alot of arrogance. Their lunch breaks are short, inbetween breaks are okay, everyone is better than the other.
Pros
Cons
Everything else
Large production plant, great compensation and benefits
Welder-fitter (marine) (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 16, 2017
Worked graveyard for my first time and enjoyed that lifestyle. I had an amazing learning opportunity, from MIG welding, fitting, scarfing and cutting torches. Management team was always there when you needed them. Showing up to work here was difficult once in awhile, because you knew hard work was in front of you. But, once you were there, you were surrounded by a large team of hard workers to get the job done. The best part about this job was being able to see all of the hard work paid off; in the bank and in the water.
Pros
Great benefits, equipment and people
Cons
High insurance premiums, inconsistent work
Hard work, good pay, good safety practices, culture's decent for industry.
Welder & Production Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 7, 2017
Relative to OTHER industries, the culture is far less sunny/sociable than that you'll get in an average office job, but for a dedicated heavy industry production line I expect that the level of griping & cussing was about par for the course. Safety culture is good, you can tell your boss's rear end will be on the line if someone sprains an ankle (especially if it doesn't get properly reported). My impression is that things used to be alot more "stop asking questions and do what I say", and that there's been a culture shift in a better direction.

Gunderson prefers to take care of its people and wants to retain the good ones for decades, there are plenty of guys who've been there 20+ years. Trouble is that they've had problems finding contracts recently, so they haven't had enough work to be as generous as they'd like.

When layoffs or reorg are in the cards, management will keep those cards close to their chest, but considering the sheer amount of financial harm (or worse) a disgruntled employee could do at this kind of job? I'm not sure they have any other option.

They don't have a union, and are leery of one forming- but I think the main way they avoid it is by being decent enough to employees that there isn't a need for them to start one.

Shadiest thing I saw is that bosses are CLEARLY under pressure to never let employees use them as references when looking for jobs elsewhere, even if said employee's being fired.
Pros
Full time employment, decent pay, good tools & PPE which they purchase and hand out to you, good training.
Cons
Upper management deliberately makes it harder for you to then find welding jobs elsewhere.
Always busy and productive
Fitter/Welder (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 24, 2017
Great people to work with and nice environment. Always have a job to do so you're constantly doing something, which was great. Welding felt like doing art work so it was definitely fun.
Pros
Great foreman
Cons
If no ones buying barges, then the company doesn't need as much people there, which then leads to a layoff.
Great company to work for
Bill of Materials Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 16, 2016
I was hired to fill a position for three months, maternity leave. I was kept for nine. I loved this company. Amazing perks for employees, bonus', company/'department picnics/parties/gatherings. Positive attitudes are every where! Full-time medical staff, great place for growth.

Kind, sincere people!
Pros
Work/life balance, great benefits, fabulous people, a place you are proud to work!
Great Benefits
Process & Safety Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 30, 2016
Worked for 8 years at Gunderson. I was taught to weld when I was first hired and worked my way to management with in a few years. If you work hard Gunderson has potential.
great place to work
Welder/Painter/Sand blaster (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 9, 2015
Start out with a safety meeting. stretch out and make our way to work.Learned how to be a productive worker gunderson style .
great place to work for
rigger crane operator (Former Employee) –  Portland oregonSeptember 22, 2014
I enjoyed working there for the six years I was there befor I was let go. I got to learn a lot of things. Started out working in the pallet yard and moved all the way up to a remote crane operator. Loved working there then and wouldn't mind working there again. Have applied many times after calling to see if I was on the rehire list witch I am but I keep getting there lovely letter in the mail. If you get a chance to work here jump on it you won't be disappointed.
Pros
advancement
stable work and good training
Rigger, Remote Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 31, 2014
I worked for Gunderson for 13 years and it was a great place to work.good training and people.
Pros
Good Training, Professional work force
Cons
repetitious
Gunderson is a good company!
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 2, 2013
I was often told I could slow down a little and multi task on some of the other jobs in the shop. I liked that because it gave me more skill ability and value. I was also told if I could work in a safe manner I could lead myself in a manner which was most productive... This freedom let me shine all the time and I never felt limited there.
Pros
Christmas bonus, pto, vacation, free enviroment.
Cons
Multiple boss', Not so open to new idea's
Solid company with stable workflow
Receiving Inspector CWI/CWE/CWS (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 6, 2012
I have worked at Gunderson LLC for almost 10 years. I have not been layed off a single day. Been able to travel the globe and gain valuable experience as a welder and an inspector. I work a standard schedule, Monday through Friday day shift. I have good co- workers. My job has many challenges. It is fast paced and both mentally and physically challenging at times.
I feel as if I have reched a dead end as far as career advancement is concerned. My family and I have decided it is time to explore other career oppertunities.
Pros
stable work
Cons
career advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gunderson LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2