Four decades after its creation, the Guttmacher Institute continues to act as the global leader in advancing sexual and reproductive health, and rights, through an interrelated program of research, policy analysis and public education designed to generate new ideas, encourage enlightened public debate and promote sound policy and program development. The Institute’s overarching goal is to ensure the highest standard of sexual and reproductive health for all people worldwide.
The Accountant I is responsible for providing support to the Controller in the general accounting oversight and managing the daily functions of accounting, including payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger, month-end closings, grants management, financial reporting, and audit preparation. The Accountant I works closely with the Controller and the Finance team to ensure compliance with GAAP.
- Preparing and entering general ledger entries into accounting software (Sage MIP);
- Independently prepare payroll for review;
- Prepare and import monthly payroll journal entries;
- 941 Reconciliation quarterly;
- Reconcile Corporate credit card accounts;
- Prepare monthly government grant billings;
- Process cash and credit card receipts;
- Monitor daily cash balance;
- Serve as backup for Accounts Payable; and
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting;
- Minimum of 3 years relevant work experience;
- Experience working in a not-for-profit environment;
- Practiced knowledge of Accounting principles;
- Experience with ADP Pay Expert a plus;
- Experience with Sage MIP;
- Knowledge of Concur a plus;
- Must have excellent organization and time management skills; and is
- Self motivated; analytical; able to set priorities; able to communicate well with all levels of staff and external parties; use diplomacy and tact; and is able to work in a team environment.
Salary and Benefits:
Commensurate with experience; excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) with employer match, commuting subsidy, and generous time off.
How to Apply:
Send resume and cover letter to Human Resources, Guttmacher Institute, 125 Maiden Lane, New York, NY 10038; Fax: 212-248-1951; E-mail: Please include in the subject line your first and last name and title of position you are applying.
Please note that no telephone calls will be accepted.
No agencies please.
The Guttmacher Institute is an equal opportunity employer.