Gwinnett County Police Department Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Business Services Associate II (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMay 20, 2017
worked in the fingerprint division for a while interesting place to meet new people work wasn't hard just steady; for the time I was there I learned a lot
ASA II (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 31, 2017
There are excellent people who work here and I enjoyed most days here as a civilian employee. The major con is that there is very little room for advancement as a civilian. Its a good place to get some work experience or to work before retirment but it is not really a long term career unless you can get one of the few well paying civilian jobs.
Pros
the people and benefits
Cons
lack of advancement
Demanding job that requires focus.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 30, 2017
Lots of hours with great training. Great of you like a challenge. On the 12 hour schedule you spend most of your day or night at work however every other week you gey 3 days off.
Pros
Ability to make a difference.
Cons
Seems like your always working and stressed.
I loved my job during the time there.
Police Officer II, Investigator, DUI Task Force (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 22, 2017
It an excellent department with great benefits in a fast pace environment. Opportunities for advancement and many positions to transfer to.
Great Place to start, only People with Pensions stay
Police Officer Senior (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GADecember 13, 2016
I have worked with this department for 7 years, the training is some of the best in the state. They have take home cars and plenty of off-duty jobs. There are several different units to transfer off of the road to but you have to work to get there. Taking training will get you into the special units if your the best option. We are seeing a revolving door of people leaving 5-7 years after being hired. This is mostly because of pay and benefits.

This is a great spot to start a LEO career but few people stay because the lack of a pension for the new-er officers. New 12 hour shifts have made a lot of patrol officers happy since they get more time at home.

The county commissioners do NOT support their law enforcement and the Fire Department. They care more about putting money into their parks. So if you come to Gwinnett be ready to look at other departments after 2 years.
Pros
Training, Extra Jobs, Special Units, Ethical Officers, Most Supervisors are easy to work for
Cons
Pay, Health Benefits are subpar at best, Retirement, Unsupportive County Commissioners
Aggressive law enforcement agency
Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceveillce gaSeptember 11, 2016
No review to write....consider all jobs carefully very aggressive at enforcing laws which is a good thing large population to patrol but lots of officers available to respond
Amazing Police Agency
Internship (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJuly 12, 2016
I interned with Gwinnett PD in the Spring of 2016 and I could not be more happy with my experience. This agency is highly trained, extremely professional, and the leadership is very involved with their officers. They ensure the officers know what to do in all situations and provide great feedback to each other after situation while also not micro-managing.
Police Officer
Entry Team Member (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMay 18, 2016
Need pay raises as well as better benefits in order to continue hiring quality individuals and retain quality individuals.
Emancipation! : )
Police Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAFebruary 24, 2016
Emancipation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : ) Management really takes care of its friends. The worst case of favoritism I have ever heard of.
Pros
I had income for all those years
Cons
low morale, low pay, favoritism, racism.....
Excellent Training and best police department in the state of Georgia
FIELD TRAINING OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 20, 2016
Gwinnte County is located in the state of Georgia, about 45 minutes northeast of the city of Atlanta.
Great schools, department and community.
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GANovember 8, 2015
Worked with officers 27 hours a week for 4 months. Saw everything that the officers saw and participated in most things with the officer.
A good police department with great employees but no room for financial advancement
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAOctober 21, 2015
A police department with great employees and supervisors. A good place to gain experience in all aspects of law enforcement as well as experience for your career. However, promotions are difficult to attain since most persons promoted have been with department for an average of ten years. Raises do not come regularly or at all at times.
Fun environment
INVESTIGATOR (Current Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAMay 13, 2015
Police work can be exciting but it has its stressful moments. Don't get into police work for the money but the self satisfaction.
Gwinnett Police Summary
Police Officer Senior (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 6, 2015
Wonderful job with rewarding goals. Each day was a challenge and adventure. Very fulfilling career. The training and experience received were beyond measure.
Great place to learn and grow
INTERNAL AFFAIRS INVESTIGATOR/INTERIM SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GaSeptember 20, 2014
There is plenty of room for advancement if one so wishes. Training is second to none.
Pros
Great Command Staff
Cons
Compensation
Detective (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville GaJune 15, 2014
I enjoy working here. Great company to work for. Lots of room for advancement and advanced training.
Pros
training/working conditions
Cons
pay
Good place to work and gain experience
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAFebruary 4, 2014
GCPD is a great place to work. I left a major Police Dept. to come to GCPD for a better environment and benefits. Overall, I'm very happy that I made the switch. Salary has been stagnant for a few years, but that seems to be turning around after this year. I recommend this department for anyone hoping to begin their career in law enforcement.
Police Officer Senior (Current Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAAugust 9, 2013
A typical day as a police officer. Everyone's experience will differ in this profession.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
productive, professional, and gainful experience department
Backgrounds Investigator (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAAugust 2, 2013
• Establish and maintain relationships with hiring managers to stay abreast of current and future hiring and government needs.
• Coordinate monthly preliminary orientations for civilian positions for groups of 200 or more people.
• Review candidate’s files and perform criminal and financial background checks.
• Conduct panel interviews to obtain information on work history, training, education, and job skills.
• Prepare applicant’s background history in a comprehensive report and contact applicants to inform them of employment selection, psychological evaluation, and drug screening appointments.
Pros
a variety of training and seminars.
Cons
no raises in 6 years and the benefit payments are increasing
I felt like I was helping people
Call Taker (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAFebruary 6, 2013
A very large 911 center that takes 3,000 calls per day, high stress, incredible amount of knowledge to do the job. My husband died while I was there and the job was just not for me anymore (in that big of a enter).
Pros
a rewarding job.
Cons
high turnover from management down.