Gwinnett County Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

I love what I do!
special education teacher (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GAJanuary 5, 2016
I am considered and respected as a professional. I focus on building positive relationships with children and their families. I collaborate effectively with colleagues and I can depend and seek support from the administration. The rest is preparation, organization, implementation and reflection. I can adapt teaching based on each child learning style. I focus on strengths to improve and overcome weaknesses. I believe that all children can learn. I adjust and differentiate teaching in order to engage and challenge. It is a extremely rewarding career. I encourage parents to partner with me on this. Teaching and learning to the highest potential is the ultimate goal!
Pros
It's VERY rewarding when you see children engaged and learning.
Cons
Compensation can be low at times.
Awesome place to work
Material Handler/Lead and Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GANovember 14, 2015
A typical day would be to meet with my co-workers to explain what needed to be done that day, keep up with the logistics, help pick, process, receive, ship, and make sure inventory was correct, communicate with government employees, and lead a department. I learned that the harder you worked the farther you would go. Management was great, the best I ever had; as long as you did your job then you would be fine. Co-workers were also great, I couldn't have asked for better ones. The hardest part of the job was dealing with disgruntled people that had a mistake on an order. The most enjoyable part was knowing that I did my best and managed people that I respected and they respected me, and our worked positively reflected that.
Pros
Great compensation and great benefits
Cons
It is fun job getting to know the students,
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GASeptember 8, 2015
The company is great to work for with many benefits. You get the advantage of learning the city along with bonding with the students. it is a job where everyone pull together and help out. The support meetings among the new and advance drivers helps out with how to cope with certain situations. There are many fun activities plan throughout the year to get co-works engaging with one another, and getting to share different ideas that one may need, and I find that to be helping as well. There are room for growth in the company for anyone to desire to move forward up and take with they know to the next level. The training is very helping for a person coming into that particular work environment and do not have any experience in the field.
Pros
off days
Cons
working in the heat, with no air conditioning on the buses
Busy: every moment of my day was busy with students
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Loganville, GAMay 10, 2016
My typical day started with breakfast duty (making sure breakfast was eaten and we made it to class before the bell rang). I then helped with kindergarten classes and lunch duty. In the afternoon, I helped with PE classes and supervised students who had been escorted out of class. Lastly, helped with car rider duty. I learned a lot about time management. My co-workers were amazing. The hardest part of my job was dealing with paperwork that had very little to do with teaching the kids. The most enjoyable part was teaching the kids without them knowing that they were really learning.
Pros
Interaction with co-workers and kids
Cons
No breaks
Goal-oriented workplace
EBD Itinerant Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Suwanee, GASeptember 27, 2015
I have found a job I enjoy and am challenged by within the field of behavior. I love that I am able to travel and serve a new school every few weeks. This nomadic job allows me to keep my head free from politics. I enjoy being able to set and/or implement plans for a child that the school staff is unable to handle on their own and witness the morphing of behaviors as a result of the correct plan being carried out. Many of the children I deal with on a day-to-day basis have tragic histories, are misunderstood by their peers, family and even by themselves when their mental illness overpowers their ability to control their emotions or behaviors.

Each new case I work on teaches me a little more about humans, cognition, emotions and behavior as I work with children with different manifestations of various disabilities. I am able to establish a personal connection with each child as I become the person they can trust because I am non-judgmental towards what others view as what separates them from the rest of the students.

The most difficult part of my job is trying to get other people to see what I see in each child I work with or sending a child back to an environment that I know is not conducive towards their mental health well-being.
Pros
Travel, Politic-free, My boss trusts me, Learn about new conditions, Positive reflection in school and home behaviors
Cons
No breaks, Salary compensation, Train staff that are paid more than me, Life-threatening and dangerous
loved working with the children
Bus Manager (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAAugust 24, 2015
Working with children was a excellent experience for me in learning something different every day about the children. The pay isn't very good but the child were great
Pros
field trips to earn extra money
Cons
no raises, not very good health care.
safe and caring school system
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GASeptember 12, 2015
Administrators and staff were always available and supportive of the substitute staff. Teachers were very informative and helpful with classes that I substituted.
Pros
able to work will my children were in school
Cons
no benefits
Very supportive Administration
Latin Teacher (Current Employee) –  Parkview HS Lilburn, Ga.May 10, 2016
This year I am teaching Latin II and III. Next year I will be teaching part time Latin IV, AP Latin, Latin II
I have taught extended day with 6 Latin classes, with no planning period.
I love working with my students and providing a secure classroom environment, where student feel comfortable and are not afraid to make comments or ask questions. I enjoy the Latin Club activities, especially mock gladiatorial combats every other Wednesday.
Pros
No traffic
Cons
It is far from my home.
School dedicated to increase student achievement
General Education Teacher - 1st Grade (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAMarch 7, 2016
Working here is rewarding, yet tiring, with no advancement opportunities. You learn a lot about how each school works to get things done in a timely manner. The evaluation system is extensive and reflection on professional growth is suggested.
Professional and educated pool of teachers to collaborate and share ideas.
8Th Grade Accelerated Physical Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Suwanee, GAFebruary 21, 2015
Teach 8th grade students high school Physical Science course with highly engaged learning environment.

I learned how to collaborate and lead a team of teachers to accomplish a common goal.

Management is respectful of professional decisions while maintaining integrity and reputation of Gwinnett County Public Schools.

My co-worker learn and assist each other in making our jobs easier while providing the best Science education to our 8th grade students.

The hardest part of my job is balancing my personal financial goals with the pay structure of my chosen profession.

The most enjoyable part of my job is to work with people and plan how I will create an engaging environment for my students to learn Science.
Pros
location, people, vacation time, benefits, professionalism, freedom to create
Cons
pay structure, lack of schedule flexibility
Excellent progressive school district
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAApril 17, 2016
Wonderful experience that is unmatched. I was able to work in cooperation with colleagues of different grade levels to teach and motivate students using a variety of mediums including plays, presentations, etc.
The only reason for leaving was having to relocate to another state for personal reasons.
Pros
Terrific staff and student morale
Cons
none that I can think of
Just a High school Job
Internship/ Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Suwanee, GAJuly 8, 2015
The Job Never Offered raises. Had an entire family working their from mexico and didn't have legal papers. It was an ok job to have and balance school. less thsn 20 hrs a weeks.
Great place to workplace
Bus Driver/Manager (Former Employee) –  GAJuly 30, 2015
Working for this job was an unexpected pleasure, The work days were planned out, by the times of each schools which is fast paced, but not too hard to do.
Pros
3+hrs break time, full benefits
Cons
bad childen
liars cheats and racist
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMay 10, 2016
they lied to unemployment
they cheated me out of hours
and half of the employees were racist
got to work did ever thing i ws supposed to do while everyone else was sitting behind their desk doing nothing
Everything is fault of teacher.
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAJune 1, 2016
The only people that seem to be held accountable are the teachers, NOT the administrators, not the parents, and not the students.
Pros
pay
Cons
Administration
Good place to work.
School Nutrition Program Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lilburn, GAApril 29, 2016
Fast paced, high stress environment. Responsible for feeding 800-1000 students per day. Very mundane, monotonous work.
Pros
Free lunches, school schedule
Cons
High stress
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GAMay 2, 2016
Students and I was able to build a friendly relationship they spoke to me with up most respect addressed me as Ms Josette. enjoyed working with this company.
Pros
A few unruly students
Learning Opportunity
Educator/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAJune 12, 2016
I appreciate the learning opportunity my time at Gwinnett County Schools afforded me. I learned how much I can do under extreme circumstances.
loved to work with the children
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAFebruary 5, 2016
 Helped lead teacher with students in a class setting
 Handled various equipment needed for medically fragile students
 Performed lead teacher duties when lead teacher was unavailable
Pros
Get summers off; great insurance
Cons
Very little pay for hard work, such as lifting children, getting hurt by children that can lead you in hospital
It is an educational environment
Transportation Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Suwanee, GAJanuary 26, 2015
This is a job that has full time benefits, but not full time salary. I only work 9 months out of the year. I have dedicated myself to the position and am learning so much. My ideal goal is to find a full time career that I will work all year and receive benefits. I enjoy working with the school staff and students. The hardest part of this job is when you see a student in need or that has been mistreated. I work with some outstanding people.

Gwinnett County Public Schools Reviews by Location