Gwinnett County Public Schools Employee Reviews

Great District to work for.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Suwanee, GANovember 7, 2017
Enjoyed working with the staff and the children o the school I was assigned. They have really helped expand my career options and have given me an opportunity to learn hands on.
Great Place to Work. But Low Pay
CUSTODIAN (Current Employee) –  Suwanee, GANovember 1, 2017
I love working for GCPS and at my school. But I will be moving on as the pay benefits are low and career advancement is very limited. It takes years to gain the maximum payout even in a low skilled career as a custodian.
Pros
Great culture, co-workers
Cons
Low Pay
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAOctober 28, 2017
This was a good place to work, some great students, you will be trained on student mngmnt and you will do great!! always remember safety , theirs and yours and the public around you , supervisor lacked leadership and allowed her teamleader to bully and talk down to drivers, they write up people for doing things their favorites did not get written up for and do not stick to laws when it comes to using personal time allowed by law you will be fired if you use it . winter and summer are not easy as to there is no a/c in the bus and in the winter the heat is not the greatest bathroom time is hard to come by so you must hold it a lot . buses are out of date going back into 1980's therefor seats are old and if you have back issues or shoulder & arm issues this is not the job for you . the training is great . meetings are held monthly , and one big one yearly , pay raises are hard to comeby ,it took me 4 years to get one as they were on hold. benefits are ok and "sick bank " is only allowed to be used in case of a terminal illness ( they don't disclose that ) your day ususally starts at 5:45 and ends @ 9;30 then again at 1:30 and finish the day at 5:00. over all not a bad job , trust no one , and know you are not supported and you can be let go of at anytime for unfair and illegal reasons .
Pros
you set your mood on your bus and see kids grow
Cons
unfair leadership, no restroom brakes
Unhealthy work environment.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  GCPSOctober 24, 2017
GCPS is an intermediate employer, one school in particular has an unhealthy work environment. The most enjoyable part about working for GCPS are the kids. The hardest part is management, they do not appreciate their employees.
Excellent School System
Substitute Teacher grades K-12 (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAOctober 24, 2017
Excellent school system to work for I would highly recommend Gwinnett County Schools system as great place to work.

I received great personal satisfaction work for the Gwinnett County School system ,
Horrible
Bus Manager (Current Employee) –  GAOctober 8, 2017
you don't get your hours like you are supposed to , Supervisor's show favoritism they will take hours from you to accommodate for others I loved working with the children but there is know kind of advancement with this company what so ever, my co-workers were very nice but other than that . me I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone you barley get your hours always having to do extra work just to get them and in the summer time the pay checks are low .
Cons
all hoildays off
Helping children
Ga EBD Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Suwanee, GAOctober 7, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the workplace is watching the children grow and make progress. It truly takes a village to raise a child. I would love to continue working with children until I retire.
Pros
working with children
Fair pay look at the culture of the school 1st
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAOctober 7, 2017
High stress, depending upon which school you are placed. The compensation is competitive. Advancement is subjective. CEO seems to be a good person, but middle management hold the gates to advancement. I will say that I have learned a lot while, but too political. I have worked extremely hard, but it goes unrecognized.
Cosmetology Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAOctober 2, 2017
Work day- Very structured and complete (Classes in the morning/early afternoon and meetings standards to students and keep the engaged in all classroom activities.

Learned- How to teach different types of learners.

Management- Observed and evaluated.

Workplace culture - Worked with a variety of diversities

Hardest part of the job- Making sure students obtain all information they are required to learn.

Most enjoyable part of the job- Working with other qualified educators and students learning.
Pros
Students learning
Cons
Disipline especially students using phones during class
Teaching is everything
Paraprofessional Educator (Current Employee) –  Snellville, GAOctober 1, 2017
A typical day at my job is filled with children's smiling faces. The students are eager to learn and love to show what they know. The workplace culture is one of people working together towards a common goal.."to teach children and help them succeed". The hardest part of my day is sometimes feeling that I didn't do enough for my students. The most enjoyable part of my day is when I see my students faces light up with happiness when they have learned something new. I have the most amazing management (administrative) team. They are kind, caring people who are always offering support.
Pros
Engaging young minds
Cons
No breaks
Productive yet Challenging Workplace
Clinic Nurse (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GASeptember 22, 2017
Working at a school was a change for me. I learned a lot of patience took part in understanding a child's point of view and listening to the parents needs. I also learned that I couldn't get too involved in my personal feelings based on situations that I seen, and that was hard.
Solid employer that serves the community
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GASeptember 15, 2017
A great experience working with students and teachers. Everyone is focused on providing a solid education for the students and a strong support system for parents.
OK to work at. Head Custodian not a caring person
Custodial Associate (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GASeptember 7, 2017
I was a Custodian Associate. My job was to clean the lunch tables between all 3 lunch periods and clean up the lunchroom after. After that I would have to clean 30 classroom trailers. That included picking up the trash, dusting the furniture, vacuuming the floors and mopping the tile floor trailers. I also had to work on special project in the school that were happening that even. Set up and break down and put away.
Pros
saw my kids everyday, made friends with the students
Cons
hard work, not always a lot of time to get it done
Great work hours/schedule
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GASeptember 7, 2017
GCPS is a great organization to work for. The hours and paid time off is impossible to find anywhere other than a school system.
The environment can sometimes be stressful given the nature of the business, but overall, a great place to work.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Bureacracy
Great Place to Work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GASeptember 6, 2017
I really enjoyed working at the school. I thought that it was really well run by management. It was full of good people. I left because I wanted a change in profession.
I think it is a fun place my friends working there love it
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GASeptember 3, 2017
The friends working there say that they have opportunities to advance in their carrier. The school system encourage them to go for higher education. They do not pay for it but they will receive higher salary when completed.
They can also apply to different schools.
Pros
largest school system many opportunities
Cons
can have to go far if you want to advance
Educate
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GASeptember 3, 2017
Gwinnett County Public Schools is a wonderful county to work as a teacher. They provide you with excellent professional development opportunities,so that you can become a better educator.
Great place for a teacher
Educator (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAAugust 22, 2017
Gwinnett County Public Schools is the best place for any teacher to work in the state. GCPS is miles ahead of all of the counties when it comes to technology, culture, mentoring, and an overall pride in where one works. I would recommend GCPS to anyone.
Stressful work environment
STEM Instructor (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAAugust 14, 2017
gwinnette county school system located in gwinnett county georgia has been an experience like non other. The system practices a strong belief in Professional Learning and Education. Therefore, the Opportunities to expand knowldge were set before me and executed to the fullest.
A Team orientated job that can be very exciting and fun
Bus Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAAugust 11, 2017
Learning how to manage kids off all ages and races to follow bus rules and regulations with out incidents. and to get them to trust that you will get them back home safely to thier parents.
Pros
time off with pay
Cons
split shift