Gwinnett County Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Eight years of wasted time and service
Grounds Technician (Current Employee) –  LawrencevilleAugust 13, 2015
A typical day would be getting there in the morning and chatting with a co-worker for a few minutes before getting started on your day. My task was routine every day of cleaning equipment via soap and water or pressure washing. Everyone likes to say hello and wave as they drive off campus to there work sites.
The hardest part of the job is working in the weather. It could be sweltering hot to a blistering cold while getting your work done. The better part of the job is that, if you should feel that you need a break that they are permitted for your own health.

I don't have anything positive to say about the management as I got income reduction years ago and was never given a raise or health benefits.
Pros
Great hours, weekends and holidays off.
Cons
Weather conditions, hard labor and management
Eating together
SNP Worker (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAJuly 21, 2015
This work place was very productive, hard work and also fun. It taught me how to become a great team player, overcome obstacles and get the job done on time.
Management was always on top of everything and things ran smoothly.
The hardest part of the job was getting along with workers who made things difficult, and the most enjoyable was addressing the issues solving the problems and learning from it.
Pros
Having special lunches together.
Cons
n\a
Excellent work place
Gwinnett county teacher for 35 years. (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville Middle and Creekland MiddleAugust 26, 2015
I worked at Gwinnett County Schools for 35 years as a teacher of math and social studies. They were an excellent company to work for . The staff and benefits were excellent. Best public school system in Georgia.
Pros
Benefits and retirement plans
Cons
Parent communication and support
Gwinnett County Public Schools Review
Admin Assist III- Department of Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJuly 9, 2015
GCPS has been a great employer for many years. They have continuous learning and promote from within. I have been able to grow with this school district as we currently have over 173,000 students. Every day is different. We have many deadlines and they can become stressful at times but I thoroughly enjoy working with the students and parents of our district.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No windows in my office
Gwinnett County Schools was the bomb in teaching young minds to think.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Gwinnett CountySeptember 10, 2015
I volunteer to help students use strategies in reading skills and teaching computer skills..Overall I tutored students to become confident in areas that they were weak in.
Opportunity to teach
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GaMay 11, 2015
A typical day at work for me is unpredictable and packed full of energy. I teach 5th grade, so I try to make every day fun, exciting, and a learning experience for all. I have consistent, fair, and strong classroom management. I love my co-workers and work well extrememly well together. I think it is imperative that I have a good relationship with my co-workers, respect them, and help them whenever possible. My job is amazing, but it can be tough. Teaching 27 students in a way that keeps them engaged and interested can be a challenge, but the rewards to accompling the task are well worth the challenge.
Pros
Summers off (although I always try to work in the summer)
Cons
Very non-stop
Great Place to Work if you are in the right area
Educator (Current Employee) –  LawrencevilleMay 21, 2015
Working for Gwinnett is great if you are working in the right area with middle class kids. Otherwise, expect to work hard and get disrespected by the students and administrators. The school district is created so that the poor kids go to certain schools and the poor kids go to certain schools.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Stress, not enough time with family
Great to see how young minds work!
Substitue Teacher (Current Employee) –  Suwanee, GAMay 2, 2015
I absolutely love working with the childred. A typical day would be to instruct the students in the absence of their regularly appointed teachers. Follow lesson plans of the regular teachers and strive to maintain normal classroom procedures and discipline procedures.
Pros
Working with great teachers and great children
Cons
Low pay
Gwinnett is a great School District to work in.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  GAApril 7, 2015
The pay has been cut for Substitutes. There is a shortage of Subs, For that reason economic growth is hard for Subs. There is still the reward of helping children. It would be easier if children were trained to cooperate with the Sub, to value their input into their learning process..
Pros
flexibility as a Sub
Cons
Pay is not compatible with responsiblities.
Provides ample opportunities for an individual who is transistioning between careers or is downsizing committments.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Parkview High SchoolMarch 21, 2015
The particular school that I have chosen is the best of three where I have worked in Gwinnett County. The culture and environment is relaxed and I have been able to establish myself as reliable and efficient when called. Permanency has been a challenge but overall I have been able to manage with the opportunities offered.
Pros
adequate opportunities to work.
Cons
salaries are low.

Want to know more about Gwinnett County Schools?

Ask a question
Went to schools to fill in for teachers that were not able to show up
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJuly 10, 2015
Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
· Implements the instructional plans prepared by the teacher. When in long-term placement, creates instructional plans in accordance with the district curriculum.
· Maintains a classroom climate that is conducive to learning.
· Maintains reasonable rules of conduct which encourage self-discipline and responsibility.
· Guides the learning process toward the achievement of the District curriculum and goals and the Illinois State Learning Standards as determined in the instructional plans for the day.
· Implements a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media as required in the instructional plans for the day.

The hardest part of the job is not being able to see all the students I knew at the school when on different grade levels.

Most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with students and staff each day.
Pros
Meeting different people.
Cons
Not being with some of the students from other classrooms
professional place to work
School Nutrition Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville GaSeptember 22, 2014
Guiding employees through daily task to prepare and serve 1700 students in a timely manner. Follow HAACP guidelines and health department and USDA. Trained employees monthly on Nutrition. Meeting the time lines when ovens don't work properly or when the food equipment broke and we still had to meet the deadline and get the students fed
Pros
summers off
Cons
stress of time limits
Gwinnett County School
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAMay 25, 2012
I regularly worked at Dacula Elementary. I would always be greeted by a friendly office crew that kept me on call for any daily opportunities to substitute for any absent teachers. I managed classroom students and their daily schedule and assignments. The hardest part of the job was making sure all assignments were completed perfectly while at the same time monitor the progress of all the students. I enjoyed this challenge.
Pros
wonderful students
Awesome!!
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GASeptember 11, 2013
Every day was a joy to work with both the children and the staff. I love serving by giving my talents, time and happiness to kids. I am looking forward to the opportunity work in Gwinnett Schools again in the near future.

My father, retired assistant superintendent of Cobb County Schools,Don Murphy and my mother, retired second grade teacher dedicated their lives to teaching and helping kids better themselves. I also live my life to do the same
Special Educator
Middle School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lilburn, GAJune 6, 2013
• Adapts teaching methods and instructional materials to meet the instructional needs and interests of students in the 6th, 7th, and 8th grades.
• Effectively teaches all core academic subjects for each grade level, including language arts, math, science, and social studies courses.
• Provides specialized curriculum focus and enrichment while instructing assigned program of study and managing paraprofessional support.
Exciting place with wonderful students
Educator (Current Employee) –  Lilburn, GAAugust 23, 2013
The most enjoyable part of this job is the opportunity to work with such amazing kids. Along with working with great colleagues, there are numerous opportunities for professional development. The day to day challenge of providing authentic learning experiences offers variety and excitement each work day.
Bus Manager
Bus Manager (Current Employee) –  Suwanee, GAAugust 2, 2012
I transport students to and from schools. I enjoy children, and just to look at their faces when they have never rode the bus before makes me feel good to see their happy faces. I've learned that somes things might go wrong at times with some of the students, but when they see me smile, it makes some things go away. We also learned that if you talk to a student in a friendly tone of voice, and show them love, they understand. My co-workers are fun to be around, and they make my day. I had a problem about 4 or 5 months back, and they came throughfor me and my family. It was wonderful to see them come through. We all work good together, and ou supervisor is the best. The hardest part of the job, believe it or not, there's nohard part, unless you think about the heat in the summer. The students make our job.It seems like we are the teachers and the parents sometimes, and that's alright too.
Pros
nothing that i know of.
Cons
there aren't any.
Great experience
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  GAMarch 28, 2012
This was a great job I really enjoy working with kids. It was very hands on and quite a difference from previous jobs I had in the past. I was able to adapt to the change and became one of the students favorite substitutes.
Pros
great school, good kids, great faculty
Cons
no benefits, part-time, paid once a month
Challenging job
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GADecember 14, 2014
The Gwinnett County Public Schools system is consistently ranked as the #1 or #2 school system in Georgia (out of 159 county school systems).
Middle School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lilburn, GANovember 24, 2014
Not the most supportive environment towards teaching staff and no balance with personal life, since you're constantly working on weeknights and weekends.

4.2