Gypsum Express Ltd Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Not a good place for mechanics or drivers!
Management (Former Employee) –  GypsumJune 8, 2016
Gypsum Express is not what they make them selves look. The owner DOES NOT care about employees. There is extreme micro managing. They have the good ol boy system going. Drivers DO NOT get home on weekends...well if your a chosen driver and a yes man you will be home on Friday evenings. You will do a lot of short hauls and a lot of sitting and waiting on loads. The mechanics are treated very badly. They work under intimidation and fear everyday. They get no overtime pay and work around 55 hours a week. All trucks are governed at 64 mph. They are a very unforgiving company. If you stand up for your self you wont last more than 2 months. If you want to work there go ahead. Write a review in 2 months and tell us. Oh I worked there. A lot of the positive reviews are not drivers or mechanics. They come from the IT department.
Pros
Cons
Micro manage, favortism, unforgiving.
Great company, great environment, great drivers!
Compliance Manager (Current Employee) –  Baldwinsville, NYApril 20, 2016
I worked for 3 other trucking companies before coming to Gypsum and I was tired of knowing people only by a number. At Gypsum, when drivers come in or call me on the phone not only do I know them by name but most of the time by the sound of their voice. The owner cares A LOT about his employees and always doing what is best. I see myself staying with Gypsum until I retire. If you work hard for Gypsum then Gypsum will always do good by you. I enjoy what I do here and I enjoy the people I work with. We have many drivers that have been here 20+ years and in this industry that is amazing! The owner is always investing in new equipment. Gypsum offers more bonus programs for the drivers than any company I have ever worked for and they are very OBTAINABLE bonus programs. Fuel, Safety, Compliance, Performance, Referral, clean DOT inspections. Overall, great company!
Pros
People are great and very friendly
Cons
None so far
unless you fit the description of a down home country boy then you wont last long
driver (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INFebruary 29, 2016
I was bullied by my instructors I was not treated with respect nor was I allowed to offer my opinion. it was their way or the highway. they don't supply atlases, they repeatedly give and gave their drivers wrong directions and then harped on time management. they give newbees out dated equipment that does not properly function.
Pros
you get to drive tractor trailers
Cons
you are only home for 34 hours weekly
Very bad experience
Driver (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INDecember 29, 2015
Spend alot of time waiting for your next load. If there is any kind of a problem brakedown automatically its the drivers fault they are quick to fire you. Very minimal training will hire anyone that wants to make there trucks move
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Alot of wasted time waiting with no pay
They do get you home on the weekends..Thats where the good ends
FLATBED DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Shadyside, OHNovember 8, 2015
Insane dispatch protocol..Not centralized
No rhyme nor reason or logic
No communication between dispatchers

Pay is horrendous...40% Of time spent waiting/loading/unloading/tarping dangerous paper rolls...Heavy gvws...Alot of old/bad equipment

12.00 Per tarp/untarp pay state .34Cpm empty .37 Loaded..Reality will only pay .34Cpm for first 6 months

No sense of urgency at any level. Will tell you anything in order to keep you in truck and delivering loads.

If you want to work 60-70 hours per week and gross
Between 500.00 To 650.00 This is the place for you!!!

Good luck!!!!
Pros
WILL HIRE ANYONE FOR FLATBED WORK
Cons
60-70 HOUR ON DUTY...50% OF THAT WAITING/TARPING/LOADING/UNLOADING
Terable place to work I knew after a couple of months I would not stay there
terminal Manager (Former Employee) –  Aliquippa PaAugust 1, 2014
Day to day operation of the terminal, with an owner that constantly second guessed every step. And treated his people like they were less than human. The only place I ever worked that I truly hated going to work every day.Gypsum also had a lot of good people working for them but if you weren't a yes person you wouldn't be there long
Pros
close to home 12 miles
Cons
terible management
Good company cares about its people
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Shadyside, OHJuly 31, 2014
Gypsum Express is a good company to work for they care about all there employees. They do a lot of extras for them like, have cook outs and safety meetings where they give out gifts just for coming. They are a company that cares about their drivers and about the time they get with there families. I came from a job of 5 1/2 years where I was treat like just another dumb employee that was replacable got skipped over time and time for advancement. but here im treated like a person that matters and have lots of chances to learn and advance my career.
Pros
A company that cares
Cons
none so far
N/a
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aliquippa, PAJanuary 25, 2014
I don't know. The people there are not fun to work with. Too much demand for an easy job.
Very rewarding personally
Driver Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Shadyside, OHAugust 26, 2013
Very rewarding to help someone get back into the workforce. To be able to see students succeed after completing school
Good overall
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 23, 2012
Things went well until fuel costs went up and ten (10) drivers were laid off.
Pros
good for drivers.
Cons
not there any longer.
Will have cookouts and dinners for drivers.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 22, 2012
I will start the day with a pretrip inspection to make sure everythings
in good condition.Then send in my logs from the previous day and
start my new day.Gypsum has in my opinion,some of the best
co-workers and management personel in the business.The hardest
part is being gone from your wife and kids,not being there for things
at school that they want you there for.That is why i am going to find
something where i can be home in the afternoons and weekends.
Pros
all safety meetings they give you money and a nice gift.
Cons
getting stuck out on the weekends.
Great Company
Inventory Control/Warranty Manager (Current Employee) –  Baldwinsville, NYSeptember 30, 2012
Great Company to work for. I enjoyed coming to work everyday. i was allowed to advance and worked hard to do so.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gypsum Express Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7