H&E Equipment Services

H&E Equipment Services Employee Reviews in United States

horrible upper manegment
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Pharr, TXApril 27, 2016
Only working here for four months the company decided to close their doors within 18 months of them being opened in south texas. The whole reason they opened was for one job and upper manegment did nothing to help get into that job.
Pros
No Pros
Cons
Upper mangement is horrible has no equipment rental experience.
Awesome Employees
Rental Inspector/ Shop Technician (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 18, 2016
The employees are very easy to talk to, when I worked there I felt like part of a family. If you need help with a task, someone is always there to lend a hand. The short time I worked for H&E I learned a lot, the current techs taught me a lot about various construction equipment. Awesome job.
Pros
Feel like part of a family, smooth communication.
Cons
Short lunch break
Top heavy, internal communication issues, rank and file often forgotten about
LEARNING ADMINISTRATOR/TRAINING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 8, 2016
H&E puts a large amount of time and money into the training and retention of it's technicians, and a large amount of time and money into the training and retention/advancement of anyone at a manager level. For the non technician and non manager, we are most forgotten.

In the 8+ years I worked there I was not offered or approved for any personal development programs or training opportunities.

When my job duties changed or expanded, I was left to educate myself on new software or systems got very good and being self-educated in the IT/Helpdesk support area.
Great Work Environment and Work Life Balance
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 1, 2016
Friendly office environment. H&E is continually evolving to make operations run better (upgrading software systems, researching best practices). Leadership is driven, sets clear expectations, and has clear communication of current events in the company or new objectives during weekly meetings. Laid back environment with co-workers within department including lunches and sweets/cakes to celebrate birthdays and other milestones. Corporate office also does fun events for holidays, and has an annual crawfish boil.
Pros
Work/life balance, laid back, clear expectations
Cons
401k match could be improved, need better training/onboarding program for H&E and specific positions
Recently part of workforce reduction
Territory Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 30, 2016
Day to day life was ok. Worked with other very experienced reps, most of whom were not always willing to help. New guys are kind of left to fend for themselves. Other reps called on existing customers in my territory instead of handing them off to me. Lack of available equipment hamstrings you in the field. Not a full service rental provider. Not willing to allow cash customers use a credit card.
Pros
Company truck, cell phone, and tablet.
Cons
Health insurance rates are very high. Lack of available equipment.
Family Style Atomosphere
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 29, 2016
Great company to work for focused on employee and their family. Had regular social events for family. Majority of employees have long work history with H&E
Good Company to get experience
Accounts Payable Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 25, 2016
Friendly work environment, with having learned a new Accounting system, team work to get task completed, The hardest part of my job was staying on top of multiple accounts clearing up the past due issues that may have been left by someone previously. The most enjoyable part of this job was the people I worked with.
Strongly lacking qualified management
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 23, 2016
H&E has a high turnover throughout the company. Top level executives should set aside the "Mom and Pop" structure and culture by hiring top notch executives to run this place like a TRUE CORPORATE office. They will need to diffuse the toxic environment that exist and implement effective policies and procedures along with developmental and training programs. Hopefully, this will aid with minimizing turnovers and create a friendly work environment in addition to boosting the moral in the workplace.
Pros
Great office building
Cons
Poor management and high turnovers
Great company to work for
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Union City, CADecember 29, 2015
A great up and coming company that is making a name for itself in the construction equipment rental industry.

It has great leadership and the company is very strong and pushes a safety culture that is second to none!
Troubleshoot, repair, and operate equipment
Mechanic Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 9, 2015
Maintain over 800 pieces of equipment. Manage over 20 employees. Work on a variety of equipment from forklifts, generators, vehicles, welders, battery powered lifts, to golf carts.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
health insurance
ok job
Washing equipment and assisting (Current Employee) –  baton rouge laOctober 25, 2015
H&E Equipment Services is a Okay place to work however I would not stay long term, They wouldn't give me a raise after 1.5 years of working here
Pros
off weekends
Cons
unorganized
Cannot recommend
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 30, 2015
Comments below are based on my experience at my branch only.

Reason to avoid if you're a true professional Salesperson:

1. Poorly maintained equipment-as a salesperson, I think you'd want the confidence that the product on the job is top notch. Not here!!

2. Sneaky salespeople who will sell accounts behind your back without your knowledge and management shrugs their shoulders. Keep in mind this is a position heavily reliant on commission. This, no matter how you define it or how management will provide illegitimate excuses, is stealing. Plain and simple. And it was allowed! I know from personal experience.

3. Company is content with the competition rolling over them as the only thing that is of most importance is that the branch manager receives his quarterly profit bonus. Which is tied to how well costs are cut at the branch level. The salesperson's compensation? That's secondary.

4. Complete lack of professionalism at multiple levels, basically a "used car salesman" approach is what they look for.

Go work for a rental equipment competitor (if this is the industry you want to work in) as they ALL have better compensation plans in place.
Pros
Nice truck, fair benefits
Cons
Management, lack of professionalism, mistrust
Fast paced, very stressful and competitive environment. Excellent team environment.
Parts Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXAugust 23, 2015
Fast-paced and highly competitive environment.

I grew my experience in inside sales x100, while also learning a new buisness software progam: SAP.

Management was pressed to perform daily, and to show growth not only an annual basis, but on a monthly guideline also.

My co-workers and I worked together almost as if family; in fact we spent more time together (60hr work week) than with actual family!

The hardest part of the job was the very stressful environment which is the equipment rental industry.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping a customer, from start to finish, with their parts or equipment needs.
Pros
Monday thru Friday work week
Cons
60-70hr work week
productive
credit master (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 17, 2015
My workday is non hectic. I have an 8hr schedule but work a few hours overtime. It can tend to be stressful at times due to the different things you face... But i go to work do my job snd go home
Pros
they have limited overtime
Cons
pay rate
Easy going, nice paced work environment.
EQUIPMENT INSPECTOR (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, ArizonaAugust 13, 2015
At H& E Equipment the typical work day is making sure that machinery is prepared for rental by checking for damages, if all functions are operating, and the machinery is cleaned.
Pros
Learning about various types of equipment.
Cons
It is a purely outside job. So, in Arizona it can get harsh.
Poor Management and No Job Security
Human Resource Generalist (Former Employee) –  LouisianaAugust 12, 2015
Some of the management teams do not have enough experience to properly manage their employees. Unless you are a long-term employee or friends with your boss, you may feel that your position in the company is unstable. There is a tremendous amount of turnover because instead of providing the necessary training for their employees, they will fire the employee and hope the new-hire will have the skills to do the job.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Recognition
Great Place to work! Awesome safety culture!
Part Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 3, 2015
Love working here! only reason im leaving is due to the fact im relocating. Would recomend this company to anyone! Great working Enviroment.
Nice office space and conveniently located. Offer good benefit plans and compensation.
Director of Benefits (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LouisianaJuly 28, 2015
The company is one of the top earth moving sales and rental companies in the United States. The employee benefit package is in line with industry standards.
Pros
Employer contributions for HSA and wellness initiatives.
Cons
Job security, feeling your job is always in jeopardy, Long term employees have conflicts with newer higherd employees.
Semi productive, poor pay for variety of work
Technician (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTJuly 27, 2015
after several years of promises pay was not satisfactory for the life threatening equipment and projects that you have to do.service truck drivers get last of everything and get paid extremely poor compare to national average .billings branch has horrible micro management and very poorly ran rental department. the building and show room are straight out of the 80s all because managers get bonuses on money they dont spend so they let shop technician salarys suffer ,tools are lacked and customers to be itemized by there bank accts.
Pros
hard to get fired
Cons
poor managment because of bonuses they receive for not spending on things needed
Great and fun place to work
Outside Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJune 19, 2015
Will teach you anything you need to know. Work with you on learning the equipment. Great staff to be around and work with.
Pros
Great staff, Fun place to work
Cons
not much on giving raises