1,111 reviews

H&M Employee Reviews

Fun work place
Sales Advisor (Former Employee), Sherman Oaks, CAMay 4, 2015
I very much enjoyed working at H&M. The employees and managers were great. It was a nice environment to work, customers were great some better than others but it was a great experience.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 4, 2015
Pros: discounts
Cons: stressful
great environment, especially for people into fashion at a decent price. The pay is decent and the staff is friendly. Nice discounts and great way to develop your eye for detail.
PT is random at best but you have some good managers
Sales Representative (Current Employee), El Paso, TXMay 3, 2015
Pros: Fast pace (day goes by fast), 1hr lunches, 25% discount for employee
Cons: PT'ers schedule is super random, workload is intense sometimes
As a PT sales associate your typical duties will range depending on your availability

8am-1pm is typically working truck so you'll be sorting clothes most of that shift. Its super face pace since they need to keep up with district mandated times. Sometimes you'll make it, sometimes you wont. You're also at the mercy of the person you're working with, if they're fast you'll need to keep up with them.

9am-2pm is mostly running. You're given a certain department or concept to run from the back and you have about 15min per rack to work with. Depending how fast the truck team works gauges how many racks you have to do on your shift.

3pm-5pm is mostly store floor. You'll be cleaning departments and running clothes from fitting rooms and behind cash points.

5pm-10pm is closing. This shift is the same as 3-5 but at 9pm thats when they assign you a department or concept and you have to clean up and close it and move on to another department to help close as well.

Its pretty much an easy job, lots of walking and interacting with customers. If your ever given register exclusively be prepared to be there most of your shift. If your "H&M fast" get used to that being your particular role in the store. After a few weeks or months the managers will get a feel of who you are and what your capable doing good and your shift will changed accordingly. I started out doing different shifts and register work and now I almost always work mornings with truck or running, depending on which manager is with you.

If you're PT be prepared to have a pretty random schedule. Its not too frequent – more... but when it happens it sucks, but its not completely rare to every so often have more than 3 days off at a time. I've had as much as a week off from work in the 5 moths i've worked here.

Im not too concerned about it but there are moments where I wish I didn't have to worry about not working for more than a few days.

Dept managers are for the most part nice. Some care way more than others and you can tell but it is what it is in a hourly job, especially if this is your first job or a job while you search for something more permanent or professional – less
Great company
Supervisor (Current Employee), Dallas, TXMay 2, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: District
Started after high school as a part time associate and worked my way up to a manager. Great benefits and got to travel for the company and meet great people in other parts of the country.
A fun place to learn,grow,travel,and express your entrepreneural spirit
Department Manager (Former Employee), queens centerApril 30, 2015
H&M was a fun fast paced environment that gives you the opportunity to grow and learn the tricks and trade of the retail world.
Friendly and family like enviofrment
Auto Protection Department Customer Service (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAApril 30, 2015
I enjoyed working with the people there. Everyone always helping and encouraging each other to do better. Managers made sure they gave constructive criticism. Never putting employees down but always uplifting.
Great place to work retail,if you are willing to work hard and responsibly
Sales Advisor (Current Employee), New York, New YorkApril 29, 2015
Pros: Career Advancement
Cons: None
As an older worker who lost her job during the economic slowdown, I had to find work in retail quickly. I never worked "in store /front line" retail since I only have experience on the corporate office side of retail. After 9 months of 'boot camp' training at a popular national discount chain, I gained comfort and effeciency on the cash register and was able to apply my customer service prowess. I quickly jumped on the opportunity to apply for a Sales Adviser position at H&M here in NYC. I quickly fell in love with H&M's company ethic and corporate mind set. They really care about it's people and their career development. I truly look forward to swift advancement in gaining knowledge and opportunities at this impressive global retail institution.
Fast paced environment
Department Manager (Current Employee), Orlando,FLApril 29, 2015
Cross trained in every department. Opportunity for fast growth. New stores opening all over Florida and US. Fun working environment.
Growth opportunities in a fast paced environment
Department Supervisor (Current Employee), Boston, MAApril 28, 2015
Growth opportunities easily accessible for those who are willing to put in the hard work in a hectic environment. Management works with the staff to ensure the best day possible and best experience overall.
Extremely fast paced and customer oriented
Sales Advisor (Former Employee), Montclair, CAApril 28, 2015
A working day at H&M consists of cashiering duties, running clothes back to the sales floor, cleaning, merchandising, making sure the departments are properly signed, fitting room attendant and staying on top of the following weeks merchandising duties.
Productive and Fun
Sales Adviser/Visual Lead (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOApril 26, 2015
Pros: Growth Opportunities
Cons: short breaks
H&M is an excellent company to work for. A typical day at H&M includes ensuring cleanliness and overall appearance of the store, assisting customer with various needs such as locating garments or providing fitting rooms, ringing up purchases, and processing inventory. With H&M, I've learned the value of team work and communication. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping our customer look and feel their best.
pleasant place to work if you liketo be micromanaged
Sales Advisor (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 21, 2015
Pros: no uniform, free lunch sometimes, friendly staff
Cons: poor management, work/life balance
poor management visibility on the wok floor, poor function planning for employees, under staffed at peak times. the employees are very friendly and sometimes eager to work, but most times there is s lot of lack luster.
Great place to work while attending college. NOT good as a career
Responsible sales advisor. (Former Employee), Escondido, ca.April 20, 2015
Pros: Discounts
Cons: Favoritism, 10 min breaks instead of 15, shady management, bag checks off of the clock and they will not hire you if you are handicap.
Being at h&m for 4 years.... (Yes 4 years LOL) taught me the overall values of the brand and corporate office are excellent. Are the values enforced in store? NO. there is a lot of favoritism, a lot of HR issues are swept under the rug and so on.... So if your ok with being treated like a puppet and having no say in anything then this place is for you. It's as if they are trying to shut there employees up by paying them more than minimum wage. Which is STILL not worth it.
Great Retail Experience
Customer Sales Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 20, 2015
Pros: Great atmosphere and great pay for retail.
Cons: None.
A typical day is spent providing customers with an excellent retail experience. The pay is also great for retail. I enjoyed my short time with the company. Excellent opportunities to work shifts.
H&M review
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLApril 20, 2015
Great place to work. Much like any retail the jobs the hours you get scheduled go from a lot to a little depending on the time of year, but the crew at H&M is much like a small family. Management is very flexible with you if you are still in school or have other responsibilities and can customize your schedule accordingly. The only con is that is very hard to move up in this job unless you have been there for years.
A fun and exciting work environment
Sales Advisor/Cashier (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 19, 2015
a typical day would consist of sorting clothes, making sure everything is in the right place and that to displays are up to date.
Horrible
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYApril 17, 2015
H&M brooklyn the worsdt palce to work. Management is the worst. They only promote certain people. The work environment is dangerous and you are still expected to work in those conditions. However H&M is overall a good company.
Very great place to work
sales (Former Employee), phila,paApril 16, 2015
Pros: discount
Cons: short breaks
h&m was very fun to work at the employers was such great people work with I love the energy there. it was a great experience. the customer also brought great energy into the store,
sales associaate (Former Employee), Dearborn, MIApril 13, 2015
Pros: Excellent place to share interst.
Cons: company didnt want to work with my school schedule
I really enjoyed working for H&M because the clothes fit very close to what i usually wore. Scheduling hours was pretty fair as well.
Great place to work depending on your management
Department supervisor (Former Employee), Columbus, OHApril 11, 2015
Pros: compensation, diversity, support opportunity, benefits, long breaks
Cons: favoritism
I have worked in 2 districts. One district where the management was wonderful and I was promoted relatively quickly, but the other district had a lot of favoritism where advancement is limited to who is the most well liked.
Other than that, the compensation and benefits are wonderful (birthday holiday pay!). It is a very fast paced environment and it can be easy to get lost in the shuffle. You will meet a variety of people from different geographic locations and just general different walks of life. Also, the company opens a ton of new stores so there are always opportunities to either relocate or just support a store opening.

About H&M

H & M Hennes & Mauritz AB (operating as H&M) is a Swedish retail-clothing company, known for its fast-fashion clothing – Read more

H&M Salaries