H&M Employee Reviews in United States

Not enough employees for the volume of the store
Sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJFebruary 24, 2016
Typically I would, Answer phones, Customer Service, operate the fitting room, stock work.
Management had a constant turn over except for one who had one promotion when I came aboard,
Co-wokers turn over was very common because no one realizes the demands that come into play until after your hired. It is a commitment. Most enjoyable part of the job was fitting room. I had a flow, It was constantly busy and I loved it.
Pros
Free breakfast/lunch
H&M isl life
Sale Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2016
Working at H&M for almost a year now I have develop many friendships with my co-workers. The management team is okay nothing to brag about. I enjoy working at H&M because of my interactions with the customers. You always meeting new people from different country and background.
No so bad Company
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 15, 2016
The benefits were some of the best I've seen. Wasn't even there for 3 months and had accused 3 weeks of vacation. I loved my job there but it seemed like they were always on me about something like something was never right. Co workers were great except for one who always tried to micro manage because he wanted to be a manager so dang bad. Your birthday is a paid holiday as well! A lot of times we were understaffed , especially during the holidays and it was very stressful and upper management was too in denial of we needed to hire more people to keep up with demand
Pros
Pay, Flexable, Paid Training
Cons
little to no breaks, under staffed, getting truck outside during the winter
Great
Cashier/Salesmen (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 13, 2016
H&M was a great company to work for and I would recommend them to people seeking employment. The environment was high volume and my co workers and managers were helpful and team oriented.
Summary
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLFebruary 12, 2016
A typical day at work is different everyday. Ive learned alot on top of things Ive already knew about working for H&M and working in retail. The management staff is good, could be better. There is no hard part to the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is closing time.
Pros
Breakroom
Cons
Not enough staff
Productive and Accepting Work Environement
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Castle Rock, COFebruary 9, 2016
I absolutely loved working for H&M. It was a great experience and taught me a lot about customer service. I also learned a lot about merchandising and sales. The environment is incredibly accepting and positive. Not only do the managers know how to manage, but all of the employees are work-ready and strive for the best customer service experience. The hardest part of my job, though, were the hours. They someone didn't understand that I'm a full-time student and can't work all the time. There was no balance between work life and my school life. The most enjoyable part, however, was the customers. I really enjoyed helping people and figuring out their clothing needs.
Fast paced and productive environment with great benefits
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 9, 2016
I worked as a Sales Advisor and Cashier in a very fast paced environment. The training provided by management was extremely helpful. The most difficult part of the job was rotating in various roles, but management pushed individuals to grow and develop if they saw potential in specific departments. This made work for enjoyable because we all became more universal and comfortable in any role.
Great company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 9, 2016
Competitive pay and they allow you to grow within the company they work with you to help you advance. although the store I'm current at can use a better management team its overall a great place to work, the employees are great and help each other out.
Fast, comstatly growing with Growth Potential
Maintenance Technician / Assistant Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2016
Working at H&M, employess get an opportunity to grow into almost any postion they desire. In town or out, there is always opportuniy.
Benefits
Cons
Rapid change
Fun place to work with great benefits!
Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 6, 2016
Fun company to work for. You get your birthday paid off and get to travel quite a bit to open new stores. I have met a ton of friendly and lovely people doing so. I have learned a lot about operating a business and truly making the right choices. I went from working as a PT SA and now I am a manager. I enjoy my staff the most about the job. They keep it fun and I love helping them as much as I can on the floor and teaching.
Very Productive and good learning experience for customer service.
Sales Lead Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAFebruary 4, 2016
H&M was a very face paced job. You're constantly moving and helping customers. There was never a time you were standing around doing nothing. Working at H&M taught me time management and multi-tasking at a faster pace. The hardest part of working at H&M was starting from the bottom. I was one of the luck sales advisor to be apart of the grand opening of a brand new store. My Co-workers were fun to be around, everyone helped everyone there was definitely a team effort there. The most enjoyable part of H&M was being able to help customers find what they're looking for in a timely manner and knowing I made an impact in someone's day.
Pros
Generous Pay and benefits packages, Diverse workplace, employee development, High growth company.
Cons
unstable payroll, understaffed
Productive Learning Enviroment
District Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 2, 2016
H&M was a wonderful company to work with while working as a third party vendor. I received a lot of growth and development during my employment.
Fast pase and great teamwork.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CAJanuary 31, 2016
The management team is great and they encourage employers to move up in the company and support all sales associates when needed. The have an open door policy which gives us more comfort for us to talk to them when needed. I learned the basic things of retail like the 5 basic demands like smiling, greeting, name tag, saying bye and helping customers in there needs. Also, I learned how the shrink goal is to lose little amount of money which depends how we put sensors on garments and check the fitting rooms at all time so no one steals and the company losing money. My coworkers are very friendly and great team players which always help out to get the work done. One of the hardest part of the job is how to approach other co-workers on getting things done around work without them taking it in a wrong way and them taking it in a defensive tone.
At the end of the day, I enjoy having a job that can make people smile when having a conversation and having great benefits at the job.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
short breaks
A great and fun place to work with amazing values.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 31, 2016
At H&M, the freedom to express yourself never changes. piercings, tattoos, wild hair, and individual style is completely acceptable and encouraged. We want you to feel happy and open with all of your ideas and feedback.
Pros
great benefits, freedom of expression, open door policy
Cons
rarely hires for higher positions.
You get what you give.
First Line Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 31, 2016
If you're willing to work hard and assimilate to H&M culture, your world will open up in ways that you never imagined possible. You'll be embraced and encouraged to push yourself to do more, to grow more and to be more. This also comes with a downside. Managers who don't necessarily believe in the H&M values are often promoted and do not pay the belief and encouragement that they received forward, leaving a lot of frustrated, under-trained employees to feel unappreciated, overlooked and just plain left out. I have been with H&M 5 years and have seen the best and the worst of what the company has to offer! There's no better organization to work for. Just be prepared to stay on your grind! If you wait to be recognized for your contributions, you'll be waiting forever!
Pros
Benefits, Co-workers, Lively atmosphere, customers, their belief in people.
Cons
Management is inaccessible, no work-life balance, no communication between base-line management and upper management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJanuary 30, 2016
HM is a great place to work because it provides great fashion at affordable prices. They believe in the people that they hire and do whatever they can to make sure it is truly a great place to work.
Secure job fast packed
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  EnglandJanuary 30, 2016
Love working for this company,great environment,absolutely amazing discounts,get on well with co workers and management,however,very understaffed so busy times can be stressful and for the wage you are expected to do so much more,as a sales advisor you are more or less doing a supervisor role,hense there are not such roles here. Also find if your face doesnt fit forget progression or larger contracts,no matter how hard you work it goes unoticed and falls on deaf ears. Overall though I would recommend a job here as you have job security and the company is constantly expanding.
Pros
Discounts, nice friendly work environment, job security
Cons
Zero progression opportunities or larger contracts if your not in the click, two faced staff, extremely understaffed.
productive and fun workplace with lots of room for creativity
sales lead (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 29, 2016
Always busy with tasks or customers, Never a dull moment behind the registers, on the floor, or in the fitting room! great coworkers!
One of the better retail stores to work at, great coworkers, and very team oriented.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 27, 2016
A typical day would involve keeping the store neat and organized as much as possible while being organized and efficient. Provide great customer service to all kinds of customers and also work alongside a diverse group of coworkers.
I gained experience in store logistics, ergonomics, and quality control. I have learned about product placement/planning and visual merchandising for the women's, men's, and accessories departments. I have supervised other sales associates and the sales floor and have also trained a few.
The management is constantly improving when it needs to and are reliable.
My coworkers are fun people to work with and are dependable to do their jobs well.
Hardest part of the job are the weekends when it is very busy and customers can be very intense.
Most enjoyable part of the job are the people I work with and that H&M is a very environmentally conscious retailer that actually cares about its employees.
Pros
Provide good benefits to all its employees, one of the most environmentally conscious retailers in the world.
Cons
Salary and unstable schedule.
No Engagement at all.
Department Manager-Manhattan District (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 25, 2016
The company was very much profit driven and less about people piece. The company culture is mixed of a few continents, and they have challenges around it. Employee turn over rate was/is very unfavorable, they still have lots of nepotism issues especially in US segment.
Pros
very good employee benefit program.
Cons
no engagement, bad employee work relationship.