H&R Block Employee Reviews

Found 4,343 reviews matching the search
Exciting
Tax Preparer, Emerald Card Rep (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 7, 2016
H & R Block, is a refreshing business to work for due to the new customers that are coming and going everyday. Seeing personally that you can brighten someones day with helping them with a question, or preparing taxes makes you feel as though you are achieving life lessons; To be givers and not takers. There is also a down side to the customer service world: not being able to help everyone. But with character training, taking more courses, and encouragement to seek out more knowledge, anything is obtainable.
Pros
People person, New customers, Friendly work enviroment
Cons
Not being able to help everyone
Very exciting and fulfilling place to work.
TAX PREPARER (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXSeptember 12, 2016
Every day was different because of the variety of personalities and circumstances of our customers. This helped me learn and to better my skills as an income tax preparer and as a person, as I would learn of their situations as I interviewed them to be able to better prepare their tax returns. I have always been a team player and make new friends with my co-workers.
Pros
Very fulfilling when a customer would return to me the following year to prepare their tax returns.
Cons
When I had to give them the news that they would have to pay the IRS, but also gave me the opportunity to help them to pay as little as possible within the guidelines.
great hours, low pay and driven by selling extra products
Tax Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GASeptember 16, 2016
The hours are great and they let you set your own schedule. The pay is based on previous years sells numbers, so if your office is slow then your pay is low. Too much pressure to sell extra add ons at the end of the tax interview. The prices they charge are really high especially for low income clients. They offer great classes and education opportunities to become more knowledgeable to prepare more complicated taxes, which will increase your pay.
Pros
set your own hours
Cons
no benefits, high pressure to sell extras
Great Work Atmosphere
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Key Largo, FLAugust 24, 2016
I work at HR Block as a Tax Preparer and I enjoy talking with the clients that come into prepare their taxes. I have learned so much working with HR Block how to prepare Federal Tax Returns. The best part of working for HR Block is that they are a very the leading tax preparation company and has taught me how to prepare even challenging tax returns. My co-workers are very knowledgeable and experience tax preparers. The hardest part of the job is when we have a very complicated tax return. I worked with a base salary and on commission which is great for an independent motivated person.
Flexible hours
Tax Professional/Enrolled Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 24, 2016
Depending on the office you work in, it can be a supportive team building experience or a backstabbing, everyone out for themselves, toxic environment.
In the friendlier offices there exists, a sharing of information and and a chance to learn and share with your peers.
The job is commissioned based so the competition can be fierce.
The clients are interesting and the hours are flexible which makes it an attractive place to work.
Pros
The hours are flexible
Cons
no benefits
Flexible hours and great office staff
Tax Adviser, Instructor (Current Employee) –  Sapulpa, OKSeptember 2, 2016
The office I work in is a close nit family atmosphere. I love working with my co workers who are aging and will be retiring soon. Once they are gone my clients would be the only attraction to staying. I have many loyal clients but keep loosing more each year due to the pricing structure of the tax returns. I make decent money in a short period of time but do put in many hours during tax season. The rest of the year there aren't many hours available to work. I enjoy instructing tax courses for my peers.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Management decisions
Great place to work a seasonal job
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mount Prospect, ILSeptember 7, 2016
I experienced a Lot of changes at this job, some were welcomed others not so much. One thing stayed the same, the people were devoted to doing their best for their clients. I have some lasting friendships with coworkers as well as some managers. The hardest part of this job was trying to keep clients happy if they had to wait to see their tax preparer and judging how long of a wait it might be. The best was getting to know the returning clients and seeing them year after year.1500
Pros
Awards for years of service, great people
Cons
Uncertainty of work schedules
Good environment
Senior IT Support Specialist, Tier 2 Escalations (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 7, 2016
Had many good years there but as its a seasonal position it falls short on my current needs. Very few full time opportunities and all benefits were eliminated due to budget cuts, so no paid time off, very expensive but basic health insurance offered and only because they have to by law...it used to be offered but was cancelled prior to the employer mandate going into effect.
Pros
flexible schedule, great coworkers
Cons
no benefits, no full time opportunities
Low Stress and Fantastic Coworkers
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Red Lion, PASeptember 9, 2016
CSP is a very low maintenance job and had a great pay. Vacuuming once a week, fix coffee and blow up balloons every morning.
Phone calls were the main focal point, making and receiving. But so long as you got through a small chunk a day made it less stressful on the overall.
Great coworkers, they were all really friendly and helpful.
Hardest part was not knowing answers to a tax question, but thats what the pro's are for; and the tax school you can take the year after!
Best part of the job is helping people know they are getting the most refund possible.
Pros
Not standing for 6+ hours at a time
Cons
short breaks, but its not like you are doing physical labor
An Amazing Company to work for
Tax Accountant (Current Employee) –  Winsted, CTSeptember 17, 2016
H & R Block is a place where you learn new things everyday. With this Company opportunities are everywhere. The first rule of the company is to help clients get their money back and help them understand the best way to manage their finance. Manager is always there to help if there is any problem. I believe my office has best co-workers, everyone is friendly and readily available to help out each other if there is a need. The most enjoyable part of the job is the feeling I get at the end of the day that I helped someone today.
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
work weekends
Excellent training program; good support from managers; take-away knowledge and skill
Tax preparer (Former Employee) –  Evansville, IndianaSeptember 20, 2016
I have no complaints about HRB; the rather modest starting hourly wage is arguably compensated for by possibilities for commissions on sales of products and services and for potential advancement and, as I recall, free advanced training. I found the job a bit stressful and was offered another opportunity to work on more familiar footing as a lawyer for another lawyer on an independent contractor basis
Pros
Friendly work environment with support from more experienced staff, training and potential for advancement, lucrative for some
Cons
I found it somewhat stressful but others seem to thrive there
Helpful to the community
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INAugust 21, 2016
A typical day would involved with answering calls and questions, set appointments for clients to come into the office, along with preparing taxes to be sent into the IRS. The knowledge that is needed to complete taxes since it is law so keeping up with tax law and mathematical skills. Management made the team feel like equals. The team that worked with me was very pleasant and always helpful. One difficult part of my job was not being able to get all clients returns from the IRS. What was the overall enjoyable part was telling clients that they would be getting much more back than they had expected.
Pros
Being able to do something that was enjoyable to me.
Cons
Only seasonal
Very comfortable work environment.
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 29, 2016
Throughout the day I completed various administrative duties as well, including answering phones, doing tax return, and emails, filing and greeting customers. I also provided strong customer service and resolved customer issues. I really love my co-workers at H&R Block. We work together to make our day go by smoothly. The most enjoyable part of my day is making sure that customer satisfied before he/she leaves the office.
Great training and support
Senior Tax Advisor 5 (Former Employee) –  Grafton, VAAugust 13, 2016
Variety of Clients arriving with all types of papers and tax scenarios.The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting people and making their life easier. In my office we all work together to help the clients. The management is supportive and understanding. The hardiest part can be dealing with the scared/angry client who has received a letter from the IRS. Sometimes caused by stolen identity.
Pros
The tax law training.
Cons
some days are very long
Fun place to work, Friendly people, great hours.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Defuniak Springs, FLSeptember 14, 2016
I loved working for H & R Block. Working with people is what I like to do. I got along with everyone and worked as a team player. Made friends with my co-workers and although it was a seasonal position, I was asked to come back the next year. I relocated so I was not able to return. I also received a letter of recommendation from my supervisor. The job was close to home and the hours were great. Working with the public was fun and interesting. I enjoyed helping other people any way that I could. Even though it was only seasonal I would have loved to work with them all again if I was still near them in miles.
Pros
Our boss cooked our lunch every day. Made friends.
Cons
It was seasonal position would have liked it to last longer.
Awesome awesome place to work!
Client Services Professional (Former Employee) –  Bonaire, GAAugust 8, 2016
I enjoy working for this company; it is my intent to return every year as a part-time seasonal employee. The hours are flexible. I meet soooooo many people on a daily basis, and it is fulfilling to assist people who are often frazzled during such a time as tax season. The atmosphere is professional, yet we work hard as a team of laid back individuals. It is truly a pleasure to wake up and sing on the way to work!
Pros
Advancement if you so choose; flexible hours and days
Cons
too short a season
Office Manager - Great Experience.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILAugust 3, 2016
Working as an office manager for H&R Block was a great experience. it gave me the opportunity to learn more about taxes and the system itself, by assisting my employees whenever they need it me. For what I was told by my employees, I was a good manager. working my then as a team, teaching all of them at times when they needed it to learn something new. We had some challenges, but nothing I wasn't able to resolve. one of the challenges was teaching employees for 30 plus years, the new tax system.
Great company to work for
First-Year Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 9, 2016
though only once a year, and you have to pay for the classes, its a great opportunity to learn. managements first year, was not a great fit though they tried there hardest. i myself fit better as a receptionist then i thought so i learned how to make a difficult thing easier for the customers.
Pros
Overtime if your willing to put forth the effort
Cons
not so great on communication, though it was managements first year.
Productive, proffesional and fun
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAAugust 25, 2016
The office was layed back. The staff was enthusiastic and welcoming. Even though I was a temp they made me feel like a part of the team instantly. With all the reponsibility the manager had and all the obsticals she faced daily she remained very proffesional and inspirational. The hardest part of the job was the lack of hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people, from staff to customers.
Worked with knowledgeable, professional and friendly people
Client Service Coordinator/ Asst. to Office Mgr (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 19, 2016
Working at H&R block could be hectic, challenging and rewarding. A typical day could include greeting clients, answering phones, making appointments, and coordinating dozens of tax clients with the best suited tax professional, occupying children in the waiting area, and keeping the hospitality table stocked..We had a great team that worked together, got the job done, and had some fun along the way. The most enjoyable part was hearing how clients valued and appreciated the way their tax professionals handled their situation.
Pros
working in a fast paced, professional environment
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3