H&R Block
2,589 reviews

H&R Block Employer Reviews

Cool atmosphere
Customer Service and Sales Representative (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 26, 2015
I personally did not like this job at all. The managers were jerks and did not care about their employees. My coworkers were great. Ive learned that no matter how hard i work it does not matter to people that do not care about their employees.
Fast-paced for 4 months.
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee), Alabaster, ALJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: the diversity of people you meet and help.
Cons: can't think of any.
The phones are ringing when you get there, no matter how early that is. Phone messages are already on the fax machine from the Call Center. Coffee started, open your Computer. Check the Schedule, call and remind clients of their appointments., Make sure all returns went through from the day before, run report for errors. Get them fixed and resend the return. File away the completed ones. By now, it is time to open. Answer the phones, schedule appointments, answer questions, assure the wait time is not too long. Handle any issues that may come up. Corporate and District can sometimes hand down duties that can overwhelm you. The Tax-Preparers are awesome people to work with. They are genuinely caring people. Our Office Manger was one of the best. Never a harsh word. The roughest part of this comes in waves. The influx of people on and around certain dates can be a bit much. However, watching them leave with a peace of mind and knowing how much their refund will be is so rewarding.
I enjoy my co-workers and management are very positive and encouraging.
Customer Service Professional (Seasonal) (Current Employee), Clarksville, TNJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: co-workers
Cons: only seasonal
A typical day at work would include filing client information, making connection calls (to confirm or reschedule apt.), meeting each client who walks through the door with a smile and the heart to meet their needs.
I have learned way too much about taxes and still don't understand it all.
My co-workers have all been great! We lean on each other when help is needed.
The hardest part of the job is when it is slow. I like to stay busy.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to interact with the public. I am a people person and I enjoy making people feel that their wants and needs are important to me.
Fun place to work
Receptionist (Part-time seasonal) (Current Employee), Fort Wayne, INJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: no benefits/healthcare due to being part-time
I like the people that I work with and that fact that I can basically pick my own hours to work.

The Office Manager is very good in allowing flexibility and very helpful when needed
Productive and very fun place to work
Customer Service/Sales (Current Employee), Waterford, MIJanuary 25, 2015
All of the employees treated you like family and it made for a wonderful work environment!
Tax preparer
Tax Preparer (Former Employee), Tupelo, MSJanuary 24, 2015
I greeted customers, obtained documentation, prepared tax returns, and explained the return to the customer.
Found doing taxes was very gratifying. Assuring customers of their Tax refund.
Tax Specialist (Former Employee), Garland, TXJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: training
Cons: not compensated on a yearly basis
Doing taxes was a constant learning process. You always had references to articles, books, and co-workers to do clients taxes correctly. H&R Block required that you know tax laws and that you kept up to date for any new changes to the laws. The training is outstanding in preparing you to do taxes. Customer service for clients was also emphasized.
Hardest part of the job was at tax season peak. Management always made sure that you worked at your full potential. The most enjoyable was the pleasant co-workers and clients. Given that clients were sometimes upset about their taxes, I always had the capabilities, due to my training, to fix their taxes and win a client for the next year.
Good place for experience
Tax Professional (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: experience in tax preparation
Cons: seasonal
Most days were long. Security and privacy rules are strict. If clients were "new" to the office, all information would need to be inputted. This action was for all clients that came used a different office location or new to the company.
The hardest part of the job is going over the amount owed to the Internal Revenue Service. Also if they don't qualify for a certain tax credit.
Growth at your own pace.
Office Manager (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: paid bi-weekly.
Cons: must play the politics game to grow in this company.
Primarily a part-time position company. Ideal for people who are employed elsewhere and are looking for that extra paycheck.
Not for me
Tax Associate (Former Employee), Murfreesboro, TNJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: enjoyed helping people
Cons: low pay, no incentives, no work hours
Worked two seasons. Between the 2, I took 96 hours of training and 5 examinations on my own time to be able to do more difficult returns and make more money. Had to compete with other preparers for clients and was given free returns to keep from paying me commission. Manager would not let me do returns that I was trained for. Did not schedule me except beginning and end of season.
Professionalism
Tax Preparer/Receptionist (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJanuary 20, 2015
To make sure each client is satisfied with their taxes, the goal is to educated each client about there taxes and help them get the maxim amount of refund. Or if a client pays taxes help them to understand why they had to pay. The environment is very relaxed and calm.
A Fun and energetic company to work for!
CSP (Client Service Professional) (Current Employee), Brockton, MAJanuary 20, 2015
Management was beyond wonderful, very welcoming and inviting. The co-workers are also awesome. The clients can be the hardest part of the job but with patience and care clients leave happy. Sometimes just waiting for an appointment can be frustrating especially if your a little early, but I always seem to know how to strike up a conversation; it takes the edge off.
Great seasonal job for tax season.
Tax Professional (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 19, 2015
Discuss marketing strategies for office, assist other professionals with new tax software, and prepare clients tax returns.

Hardest part of job is explaining to clients they owe taxes or their tax refund is not as much as they expected.

Most enjoyable part of job is helping clients get a bigger refund than they expected and finding tax credits that reduce client's tax liability.
It is a good place for people who just want to work a few hours and short periods.
Tax Professioal (Former Employee), Arecibo, PRJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: excellent training's and constant information on changes.
Cons: seasonal job and pay
H&R Block is very conscious on family matters and are very flexible.
Personally, I have enjoyed working here, they have great interest in clients, they are very important. They prepare workers with excellent training. Supervisors are nice but the management is careless about employees, but we didn't deal much with them. Payment, considering the type of job and preparation in my opinion is too low for all that has to be done. the hardest part was the distance from home to work. Coworkers were really nice and formed a real team I really liked working there even with the low pay.
Customer Service for Tax Office
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 19, 2015
I assisted the tax professionals by setting appointments, answering the phone and general office work. My co-workers were very supportive and we worked as a team. The hardest part was the commute and the most enjoyable was the relief that I witnessed from the clients when their taxes were finished.
Really Enjoy!
CSP (Current Employee), VintonJanuary 19, 2015
Love working here! Only downfall is that it is only seasonal. The office is very welcoming and like a second family! The TPs are very knowledgeable and helpful. Management is wonderful as well. Each person in our office pulls together and makes things happen!
I enjoyed working with the public and the challenges of keeping up with tax laws.
Income Tax Preparer (Former Employee), Carmi, ILJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: good management and wonderful clients
Cons: keeping up with the changes
Help every client as much as possible. Everyones situation is different and is a satisfied client is my goal.
Love being at work!!
Client Service Professional (seasonal) (Current Employee), La Plata, MDJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: great job enjoyable people
Cons: job is temporary
A typical day of work is me entering my work station going to my desk cleaning the office making sure everything is straight for customers. I set appointments and answer phone calls to assist customer on questions they need answered. I love coming to work because of the environment and the new people I see on a daily basis. their isn't really a hard part of the day when dealing with my job, my co-workers are extremely great people. I get along with them and vice versa. I'm learning a lot when it comes to desk work even though I have a degree in criminal justice. Overall I really love my job and I enjoy being around people.
fun workplace and enjoyed working for them
Register Tax Preparer (Former Employee), Fallbrook, CAJanuary 18, 2015
Good experience,sure helped me learn a lot and use it for my own knowledge. I enjoyed being able to help people.
Enjoyable workplace
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: travel
The atmosphere her was warm and enjoyable. You had an opportunity to meet and greet a lot of interesting people. I learned how to do taxes and enjoyed the employees I worked with. It was an awesome experience. The hardest part of my job was leaving. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting people and interacting with others.

1 2 3 4 5

About H&R Block

H&R Block is one of the world's largest tax services providers, utilizing more than 100,000 highly trained tax professionals – Read more