H&R Block Employee Reviews for Tax Preparer

Flexible hours
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Bayton, TXFebruary 18, 2018
If you need a place of employment that will work with your schedule, then this is the place to work. I have worked with Block and they will help their people as much as possible.
it was a learning experience.
Manager & Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 18, 2018
It was a learning experience. I believe staff needs more time to become proficient.
Very busy and quick paced and cut be cut throat.
I like the training but should be a bit longer.
The office required a competent and professional with proficient skills in all tax preparation to assist new staff and new tax preparer.
What to expect
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 15, 2018
Prepare tax returns and advise clients on how to reduce tax liability for coming year.

Working with the public is always exciting due to the variety of people that you do tax returns for. People are different and their situations will vary.
Pros
Not boring
Cons
Accepting your limitations.
Tax Prep
TAX PREPARER (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 14, 2018
Working as a tax prep. Decent job, learned a lot about taxes and preparations. Also tax laws. Training was good but not much chance for advancement. Decent for a few extra dollars.
cookie cutter job
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAFebruary 13, 2018
Pushed for production, overbilling customers, Loved the clients but there was too much confusion from management. No clear direction. No set procedures.
stressful work
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Quincy, FLFebruary 11, 2018
is great friendly environment and great work with customer.
you can learn new thing about real life.
it is stressful work too.
it is responsible work .
Very prestigous place to work, client respect was obviously reciprocated
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 10, 2018
I appreciated all the supervisors I came in contact with. They were all understanding, respectful, and loving. They love what they do; it was obvious in the manner in which they treated their clients and each other.
Pros
Easy management
Cons
Can show exclusion
Tax Preparation
Seasonal Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 7, 2018
I went into this job to learn how to do my own taxes. It was a seasonal position but if you did well enough you'd be able to work full time. One student in the course even went on to be a manager because of previous experience. I learned how to do my own taxes and I got a job for a few months. I could have gone back and continued to advance within H&R Block but it wasn't the job I was looking for at the time. Just a skill.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
Some people really hate taxes
Not the worst experience.
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLFebruary 7, 2018
Sometimes early in the year it's slow, and you do nothing all day. Other days it's non stop headaches. If you know tax preparation well enough it's not a hard job. Also some offices are better to work in than others, just depends. I have heard horror stories about bad managers, but my store manager was the literal best, upper management that you don't normally see just care about numbers, and those numbers being better than last year. I think H&R blocks pricing per form is a little difficult to work with. Had to tell a homeless man it'd cost $300 to do his return, he walked out obviously. Still I think the work culture is better than most CPA firms I've been with.
Pros
Theoretically you could make enough money do just work 4 months a year.
Cons
I have limited control over what I can provide to the client as a service. The public hates taxes, and by extension you.
fend for yourself
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Pinetop-Lakeside, AZFebruary 7, 2018
I liked the clients, love what I did there, enjoyed my co workers.
Management was changed, they did not care about our lively hood, lied to employees, yelled at employees in front of everyone in office, took clients away from us and cut our commission short. Hardest part of the job was keeping up with all the new tax laws, most enjoyable part of the job was the clients.
Pros
Getting to do something i enjoyed
Cons
working long hrs with little pay
Fast pasced
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, NCFebruary 6, 2018
I love working at H&R Block, Office manager is flexible with our schedule. Being a people person, I really enjoy meeting new clients each year & seeing them come back excited about their taxes the next tax year.
Good for the beginner
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 6, 2018
It was a n atmosphere to get great practice of what you have learned in their training classes

You can build a clientele list here

It is a great opportunity
Pros
Great opportunity for beginners
Cons
Better Professional and Career Opportunities that the preparers are aware of
H&r
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Bedford, TXFebruary 5, 2018
If you're looking for a temporary job that isn't too stressful - you've gone to the right place if you're considering H&R Block. They work with your schedule and give you opportunities to learn on the job.
Not the right place for me
Tax Preparer (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 5, 2018
H&R Block is a company that is worried about their numbers than their employees. The pay was only minimum wage and it was not enough for the work they expected.
Not very great
Tax Preparer (Seasonal Position) (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZFebruary 5, 2018
H&R Block was a very interesting first experience. I would not recommend working there if you are looking to perform more advanced tax work and grow in your knowledge of taxes.
Great Experience
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Milton, FLFebruary 2, 2018
Great coworkers, great interactions with customers, as well as very fast paced number entry. Very fast thinking and detail oriented based work. Would recommend.
good place
tax preparer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 1, 2018
You have to want to files taxes or its not for you, training at that time was not so well but I mad it through But I think its better know. I would recommend I someone wanted to learn about taxes
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
pay was low
A learning experience
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Hampton, SCFebruary 1, 2018
It was a great experience learning how to prepare taxes and working with the public. Even though this was only part time I met a lot of people. This job was seasonal but we work as a team and we did what we had to do to get the job done.
Stressful
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Racine, WIJanuary 31, 2018
I liked working with the community and preparing their taxes. It let me work with numbers and people at the same time. But towards the end of the season it gets really slow
Pros
Working with the public
Cons
Temporary work
Enjoyed doing individual income taxes
Tax Return Preparer II (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCJanuary 30, 2018
I worked part-time during tax season for 2 straight years. Enjoyed it immensely. Would do it again if I weren't now a part-time Youth Director at my church.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2