H&R Block Employee Reviews for Tax Professional

Fast paced with management that cant keep up
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Chase City, VAJanuary 20, 2018
Fast paced during busy periods, but slow most the time. Management is not qualified. Compensation is commission minus hourly, so working during slow times and overtime actually cause the employee to lose money.
Pros
Fast paced, friendly clients
Cons
Poor management
They ripoff the consumers way to much.
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Berlin, NJJanuary 20, 2018
You are paid by commission or how much the tax bill income is based off of. I cannot rip people off especially senior citizens or young adults because it is not in my motto to gain a quick buck to take advantage of someone who can get it for free or does not need to be charged for simple tax questions.

I have also learned at this job that not everyone can be a manager and not everyone is a peoples' person.

The best part about this job is helping people by going above and beyond.
Pros
Learning about different tax scenarios.
Cons
Staff are competing to get the customer against each other instead of working as a team.
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 17, 2018
Competitive place to work , faced paced environment, good office conditions , nice management , busy schedule but you don't get all the hours needed .
Very proffesionnal place to work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 17, 2018
Provide Tax services to clients where you can learned a lot every day with different clients, culture is excellent , always other employees and manager cooperate with you in solve issues with the clients and constantly teaching you new regulations and strategies.
Pros
Learning Place and flexibility on schedule
Cons
seasonal
Fun place and friendly
CERTIFIED TAX PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  East Ridge, TNJanuary 13, 2018
Very well trained process involved in order to work for this company along with having to be certified. I enjoyed meeting different people and families and encountering their different tax situations.
Pros
the challenge
Cons
seasonal job
Hardest Part Of Day
CSP/Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NY 12020January 2, 2018
Closing and making sure nothing was forgotten. Had to ensure that the draw was closed out, that everything was cleaned and put away correctly. As well as making sure files and paperwork was correctly locked up.
filling taxes
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIDecember 30, 2017
I got to help people get the most out of their taxes. People were always nice and excited when I got them back more than they were expecting. Other employees were always helpful when I needed help or a question needed to be answered.
Pros
clients
Cons
different person each time
My manager and office
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WADecember 29, 2017
I have been working for H&R Block for more than 20 years. My office is fun, fast-paced and we work as an equal team. Our Manager knows her position very well follows the rules and regulations that the company sets forth for all of her employees to follow. I would follow her anywhere, I am so happy she is here.
Pros
Office manager
Cons
healthcare
kind
TPA Tax Professional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INDecember 20, 2017
i worked here for a number of years up untill three days before i had my daughter they were very kind an generous people eager to teach an all seemed to love what they did.
Continuos education
Seasonal Income Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Bell, CADecember 15, 2017
Lately the office was slow, so It would give me the oportunity to get trained and do marketing.
The professionalism of my job is what I like the most.
Pros
Continuos education
Cons
seasonal job
Wonderful co workers
First Year Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Opelousas, LADecember 15, 2017
After attending the tax course you really get a great understanding of how to prepare taxes. So much information and not a lot of time to learn very quick paced but they are preparing you for what tax season will be like.
First year
Seasonal Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Oak Grove, KYDecember 13, 2017
My first year was amazing. My Team Leader and Co-workers worked as a family. When you needed help they came to your rescue. The second year was not organized nor managed correctly. The office was unbalance when it came to number of year experience. I would work for H&R Block again. Over all I did have a good experience with them. I value my time with them.
Fulfilling But Stressful
TAX PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VADecember 12, 2017
Blending the complexity of the tax code with the general public is a delicate balance. Then cram all the stressful financial conversations into a whirlwind four months of long days; it's not for everyone. It gets easier but never comfortably predictable. If you don't put the time in to know the work and the service you're selling, working for Block will be a nightmare. But if you know your tax law, can lend a perceptive ear, and project confidence in your work, then you can make a good amount of money in a short time.
Pros
Fulfilling work, Bonuses, Useful Knowledge beyond work
Cons
Stress, Angry Clients, starting pay
Highly recommend to a friend!
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 12, 2017
H&R Block is known to have a VERY fun work environment! Great place to jump start your career in the financial industry! Allows you to easily move around/cross train internally within the company! Many good perks with this company!
Very friendly and lovely place to work for
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 11, 2017
I really enjoyed working for H&R Block, it was more like a family environment. The atmosphere and energy was such a joy and blessing to be apart of. I enjoy my time and experiences
Chill
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90044December 8, 2017
Working here was pretty cool. It's a good experience. I learned a lot about tax laws. The only thing I did dislike was marketing. It was just not for me, but I had to do it.
Cons
marketing
good work
First Year Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARDecember 5, 2017
Nice place to work and meet new people. You learn a lot .a typical day at work what you learned. You can go to different H&R Block. Nice place to work.
Wonderful office setting
TAX OFFICE MANAGER (SUMMER TAX PROFESSIONAL) (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 29, 2017
Loved working for Block and with the all ladies in my office. Block makes sure you trained to do the job and that you are highly versed in tax knowledge.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
During peak tax time you put in long hours
Good training
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 27, 2017
It was excellent the training that paid.
It was the first experience in the united states as tax preparer and thank you h & r block, I acquired very good bases to start in this field here.
Ability to work at your convenience
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYNovember 27, 2017
While it is advantageous to work convent hours it takes several years to make sufficient earnings. Senior Tax Professionals who have been in office for more than 10 years tend to make the expected income as they have acquired the clients from Tax Professionals who have left. Thank goodness it's only 3-1/2 months a year.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Slow to earn income

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2