H. D. Smith Employee Reviews

Unethical and Bad Business Practices
Doesn't Matter (Former Employee) –  KentuckyAugust 27, 2016
This place is a waste of time. Run, don't walk away from it. Perfect example of what a business model should NEVER be!

This company will not make it in the big leagues.....they will be lucky to survive the little league.

Bad set up in warehouse, whoever set it up never worked in a warehouse before. Because of the set up you will work much harder than it should be. Lots of family relations in this place, meaning you will do most of the work while family members slack. Management is scary...they lie to your face and wouldn't know how to lead a horse to water without drowning it!
Pros
A paycheck....and the pay is not what it should be for the amount of work.
Cons
Everything about the place.
Review
Strategic Implementation Team (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 20, 2016
No day is the same which is definitely a bonus. There is room for growth and the company is going in the right direction. H.D. Smith is transitioning from strictly a drug wholesale distribution company to offering a variety of services for healthcare entities.
Louisville, ky warehouse
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 17, 2016
U have to work holidays and Sundays . They wouldnt hire enough help, company is cheap! Nice people , wonderful lead lady ,she is over work!
Pros
Nice break room
Cons
To many hours and work holidays
Fun and friendly atmosphere. Would return.
Chargeback Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 21, 2015
I worked for this company as a temp. I was hired on full time during a complicated computer system switch which did not go smoothly and forced layoffs. I was then hired back again as a temp. I enjoyed my time there and would accept another position should one become available.
Pros
Professional, yet relaxed environment. Personable and caring management.
Cons
Messy software conversion.
Pharmaceutical Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 6, 2015
Good place to work. Senior management does a great job of leading the company, local management could do better when it comes to managing employees.
Family owned and operated
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spfld, ILMay 27, 2015
I loved working for the Smith family. I felt like a part of the family. I learned so much about myself and the pharmaceutical industry. I miss a lot of the people and the work.
Pros
Great collaboration with teammates
Cons
Little room for growth
H.D. Smith
Ware House Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 31, 2014
A typical day at work consist of me laying out the shipping area daily, placing totes on and anchoring them to the proper skid, loading and unloading trucks, putting away paper work, and keeping my area clean. I learned their system. management is a disappointment. co-workers are about half and half some are good workers others are worthless. I enjoy meeting new truck drivers.
Pros
its stable and has a good christmas bonuse
Cons
low pay dont get the day of holidays off
Overall Great Place
Junior Internal Auditor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, IlOctober 14, 2014
Work Day 8-5
Learning about the drug wholesaler process
Management is formal but nice
Disappointing experience
Document Specialist/Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 19, 2014
I was hired on as a temporary employee with the expectation that I would, at minimum, be allowed to work 6months. Well I was recently laid off after barely 1 1/2 months. I was advised that the person I replaced, would now be allowed back to replace me, go figure! Supposedly it wasn't personal and I did everything right. Smh I guess properly training me was too much work. Talk about overworked and unappreciated. I even had to go through a separate interview process with HD Smith (If you're not familiar with temp agencies-usually you're just required 1 interview, with the temp agency only) talk about a waste of time. Completely disappointed.
H.D. Smith
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 18, 2014
What can you say about somewhere you practically lived for 7 years.
I loved the people I worked with as a whole. We were a team yet not in the last few years. Management has gotten all about rush, rush and do 5 jobs and yours too. The learning experience was great. I learned so much at first . Then it all got to be too much work and not enough employee's to handle it.
I enjoyed the challenge of all that we did . Great co-workers were the key to all. We are still friends and will always be.
Pros
good money
Cons
not enough raises
Exciting, Always Different & Challenging!
Regional Finance Director (Current Employee) –  Kearny, NJJuly 12, 2014
This is right up my alley. I have more opportunities than ever expected to be involved at every level and in almost every function of the organization. The learning continues daily. It keeps me challenged and growing!
An Excellent Work Place
Java Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 20, 2014
I worked there for 19 months and finished two new projects, which were planed to be finished in 24 months. Even if we got nothing to do after projects finished, we still did scrum daily to exchange new tech info we learned each day. We are given plenty of time to improve our skills. The company culture is excellent. Every one is treated as a family member. In flu season, we will get through a training for how to prevent flu and get a free shot. Donations for charity and research groups conduct weekly.
Pros
agile practice thoroughly, a model company in the world.
False sense of security
Sales Specialist Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  FloridaApril 9, 2014
I enjoyed working here and feeling valued as a top performer.
We called existing accounts and created friends and increased sales.
Cold calling for new accounts, in a competitive market, was
easier based on company flexibility and personal success.
Management and co-workers worked together for our shared
goals.
The hardest part of the job, was trying to adapt to new computer systems that were not specifically designed for our business.
A sales organization should not make decisions by management
alone, without consulting their field officers or trusted sales force.
The division floundered and was subsequently closed.
My feelings of security working for so large a company,were dashed. Our division of sales was let go with 45 minutes notice!
Pros
multi billion dollar company
Cons
job security
Accounts Receivable Collections Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLDecember 18, 2013
Work hard and it will pay off
Great group to work with, dedicated and trust worthy
Great Supervisors
Account Management Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 22, 2013
I had an amazing unit supervisor who was positive and worked to consider all of our needs.
Cons
short lunch, job security
Productive environment
Master Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 19, 2013
Good company,good people. I enjoy my job and like what I do. Learned a lot on the job.
Pros
free lunches
Growing company with a lot of challenges
Manager- Financial Shared Services department (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILNovember 13, 2013
Throughout my time with H. D. Smith, I learned a lot about the pharmaceutical industry. I improved my skills as a manager and also with recruiting. I was able to be involved in Six Sigma training. The company has been undergoing a huge change by implementing SAP software which has proven to be very challenging. I enjoyed going to work every day and the people I worked with.
good collaboration amongst the team
Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 19, 2012
found the team to work hard and fucntion as a team. some very good talent in the organization, pulled from larger similar companies
Pros
small firm with good culture
Cons
wholesale drug business very tough
Happy People, Flexible Management, Treats their employees very well
Chargeback Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 11, 2012
I loved my job, I am very sad I had to quit to move out of state. Very low turnover rate. People pretty much only left because they got promotions. Management was very flexible and easy to get along and helpful but not overbearing. People were nice and helpful, a very small town, friendly community type of feel. Work kept you busy but not stressed. If mistakes were made you weren't made to feel like an idiot. Plenty of room for promotion. Breakfast brought in every Friday along with random goodies from vendors. Business casual was dress code. High compensation along with great benefits and 401k and profit sharing. Free coffee and teas and snacks in break room. Relaxed atmosphere. Absolutely loved it, if you can get a chance to work for this company you'll never want to leave.
Pros
free lunches, snacks, pay, profit sharing, relaxed atmosphere, management