H. D. Smith Employee Reviews

Does it get worse?
Planner (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJuly 16, 2017
I was directly told, not asked, by my supervisor that I should be working at least 50-60 hours a week, unacceptable.

The management role for my supervisor was also their first, in which they had no business being in.

Management as a whole seem to have their own agendas, and there is a lot of "good ole boy" system ways strung throughout.

I don't give them a lot of time before they go under or completely sell out.
Pros
I left for something better
Very bad management
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Stratham, NHJuly 10, 2017
Again bad management, no holidays off and not even paid extra for it. Its either busy or not at all eveytime theres someone new it slows everything down for a week or two. They put too many people on one line. And to top it off everyone complains about something no matter how small and they like to play the they said this game, ridiculous. Glad i found something better.
Pros
2 paid breaks
Cons
Everything else
Good job
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAJune 21, 2017
I liked this job because one of the locations they sent me to was Hollywood it was pretty cool but you must be aware and carful not to end up in LA traffic as long as you do that and know where your going your good
Pros
Ones your done delivering you can go home
Cons
If your not good with GPS that's your con
I Will Miss H. D. Smith/Smith Medical Partners
Quality Assurance Associate (Current Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILJune 18, 2017
My typical day was the auditing of inbound and outbound shipment of drugs for our clients and their customers.

I gained knowledge of the relationship between the pharmaceutical companies and the warehousing of their drugs in a 3PL environment.

The management was very helpful in resolving and guiding me in
situations I had not come across before that could compromise the clients products.

The workplace culture was overall easy going but everyone did their jobs and the work got done.

I never found it hard but sometimes challenging regarding very specific procedures that each client had. I had to follow each clients handling of their products differently than the last client.

Waking up and coming into work. I loved my position as a Quality Associate .
Lacking strategic focus and trying to reinvent the wheel frequently.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 4, 2017
Challenging in that rather than operating in the profitable, niche market, trying to compete with out of league competitors. Rather than develop a unique playbook for business approach, intent upon using the ones competitors had built.
Pros
I was provided autonomy.
Cons
Mired in outdated business model and too frequent changes in focus/tactics.
Productive work place with wonderful co-workers
Customer Service rep (Former Employee) –  Stratham, NHMarch 1, 2017
Overall a great place to work. Pay could be more competitive , and benefits could be better. One thing that needs to be done is the blood draw that is done yearly by an outside company in our break room. It is uncomfortable and not necessary.
Pros
Free Coffee in the break room
Cons
Short lunch, needs more competitive pay
Management Sucks
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLFebruary 27, 2017
Everything revolves around the manager teamwork is their motto but that's thrown out the window and that's all I have to say
Pros
Pto
Identity Crisis- needs direction
Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 30, 2016
This company lacks some leadership at the top, but overall management cares about it's people and the teams. Focus and guidance is needed to keep this company successful.
Great when Private
Chargeback Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 1, 2016
This was a very good company when it was privately owned. Things changed after the company went public and many people both upper management and lower-level employees lost their jobs. The pay was not great but the company was in Springfield, so $13 an hour is okay there.
productive and challenging position
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 8, 2016
A typical day at H.D. Smith was assisting customers with pricing on medications and selling, launching and sharing knowledge of pharmaceutical industry. I loved this job because of the customers and being able to help them give their customers the best medical assistance at an affordable rate. I became very knowledgeable in the ever changing medical industry, gained relationships with all of my customers because my ability to follow through, follow up, gain their trust and my honesty and integrity. I worked well with my co workers and helped them learn the industry. I would have to say the hardest part of this job was the lack of recognition for a job well done and how I hard I worked. Lack of communication with corporate office.
Unethical and Bad Business Practices
Doesn't Matter (Former Employee) –  KentuckyAugust 27, 2016
This place is a waste of time. Run, don't walk away from it. Perfect example of what a business model should NEVER be!

This company will not make it in the big leagues.....they will be lucky to survive the little league.

Bad set up in warehouse, whoever set it up never worked in a warehouse before. Because of the set up you will work much harder than it should be. Lots of family relations in this place, meaning you will do most of the work while family members slack. Management is scary...they lie to your face and wouldn't know how to lead a horse to water without drowning it!
Pros
A paycheck....and the pay is not what it should be for the amount of work.
Cons
Everything about the place.
Review
Strategic Implementation Team (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 20, 2016
No day is the same which is definitely a bonus. There is room for growth and the company is going in the right direction. H.D. Smith is transitioning from strictly a drug wholesale distribution company to offering a variety of services for healthcare entities.
Louisville, ky warehouse
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 17, 2016
U have to work holidays and Sundays . They wouldnt hire enough help, company is cheap! Nice people , wonderful lead lady ,she is over work!
Pros
Nice break room
Cons
To many hours and work holidays
Fun and friendly atmosphere. Would return.
Chargeback Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 21, 2015
I worked for this company as a temp. I was hired on full time during a complicated computer system switch which did not go smoothly and forced layoffs. I was then hired back again as a temp. I enjoyed my time there and would accept another position should one become available.
Pros
Professional, yet relaxed environment. Personable and caring management.
Cons
Messy software conversion.
Pharmaceutical Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 6, 2015
Good place to work. Senior management does a great job of leading the company, local management could do better when it comes to managing employees.
Family owned and operated
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Spfld, ILMay 27, 2015
I loved working for the Smith family. I felt like a part of the family. I learned so much about myself and the pharmaceutical industry. I miss a lot of the people and the work.
Pros
Great collaboration with teammates
Cons
Little room for growth
H.D. Smith
Ware House Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 31, 2014
A typical day at work consist of me laying out the shipping area daily, placing totes on and anchoring them to the proper skid, loading and unloading trucks, putting away paper work, and keeping my area clean. I learned their system. management is a disappointment. co-workers are about half and half some are good workers others are worthless. I enjoy meeting new truck drivers.
Pros
its stable and has a good christmas bonuse
Cons
low pay dont get the day of holidays off
Overall Great Place
Junior Internal Auditor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, IlOctober 14, 2014
Work Day 8-5
Learning about the drug wholesaler process
Management is formal but nice
Disappointing experience
Document Specialist/Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 19, 2014
I was hired on as a temporary employee with the expectation that I would, at minimum, be allowed to work 6months. Well I was recently laid off after barely 1 1/2 months. I was advised that the person I replaced, would now be allowed back to replace me, go figure! Supposedly it wasn't personal and I did everything right. Smh I guess properly training me was too much work. Talk about overworked and unappreciated. I even had to go through a separate interview process with HD Smith (If you're not familiar with temp agencies-usually you're just required 1 interview, with the temp agency only) talk about a waste of time. Completely disappointed.
H.D. Smith
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYAugust 18, 2014
What can you say about somewhere you practically lived for 7 years.
I loved the people I worked with as a whole. We were a team yet not in the last few years. Management has gotten all about rush, rush and do 5 jobs and yours too. The learning experience was great. I learned so much at first . Then it all got to be too much work and not enough employee's to handle it.
I enjoyed the challenge of all that we did . Great co-workers were the key to all. We are still friends and will always be.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
Not enough Raises

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H. D. Smith. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval