H. D. Smith

H. D. Smith United States Employee Reviews

Overall Great Place
Junior Internal Auditor (Current Employee), Springfield, IlOctober 14, 2014
Work Day 8-5
Learning about the drug wholesaler process
Management is formal but nice
Disappointing experience
Document Specialist/Accounts Payable (Former Employee), Springfield, ILAugust 19, 2014
I was hired on as a temporary employee with the expectation that I would, at minimum, be allowed to work 6months. Well I was recently laid off after barely 1 1/2 months. I was advised that the person I replaced, would now be allowed back to replace me, go figure! Supposedly it wasn't personal and I did everything right. Smh I guess properly training me was too much work. Talk about overworked and unappreciated. I even had to go through a separate interview process with HD Smith (If you're not familiar with temp agencies-usually you're just required 1 interview, with the temp agency only) talk about a waste of time. Completely disappointed.
H.D. Smith
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Louisville, KYAugust 18, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: not enough raises
What can you say about somewhere you practically lived for 7 years.
I loved the people I worked with as a whole. We were a team yet not in the last few years. Management has gotten all about rush, rush and do 5 jobs and yours too. The learning experience was great. I learned so much at first . Then it all got to be too much work and not enough employee's to handle it.
I enjoyed the challenge of all that we did . Great co-workers were the key to all. We are still friends and will always be.
Exciting, Always Different & Challenging!
Regional Finance Director (Current Employee), Kearny, NJJuly 12, 2014
This is right up my alley. I have more opportunities than ever expected to be involved at every level and in almost every function of the organization. The learning continues daily. It keeps me challenged and growing!
An Excellent Work Place
Java Web Developer (Former Employee), Springfield, ILJune 20, 2014
Pros: agile practice thoroughly, a model company in the world.
I worked there for 19 months and finished two new projects, which were planed to be finished in 24 months. Even if we got nothing to do after projects finished, we still did scrum daily to exchange new tech info we learned each day. We are given plenty of time to improve our skills. The company culture is excellent. Every one is treated as a family member. In flu season, we will get through a training for how to prevent flu and get a free shot. Donations for charity and research groups conduct weekly.
False sense of security
Sales Specialist Inside Sales (Former Employee), FloridaApril 9, 2014
Pros: multi billion dollar company
Cons: job security
I enjoyed working here and feeling valued as a top performer.
We called existing accounts and created friends and increased sales.
Cold calling for new accounts, in a competitive market, was
easier based on company flexibility and personal success.
Management and co-workers worked together for our shared
goals.
The hardest part of the job, was trying to adapt to new computer systems that were not specifically designed for our business.
A sales organization should not make decisions by management
alone, without consulting their field officers or trusted sales force.
The division floundered and was subsequently closed.
My feelings of security working for so large a company,were dashed. Our division of sales was let go with 45 minutes notice!
Accounts Receivable Collections Analyst (Former Employee), Pompano Beach, FLDecember 18, 2013
Work hard and it will pay off
Great group to work with, dedicated and trust worthy
Great Supervisors
Account Management Service Specialist (Former Employee), Springfield, ILNovember 22, 2013
Cons: short lunch, job security
I had an amazing unit supervisor who was positive and worked to consider all of our needs.
Productive environment
Master Data Specialist (Current Employee), Springfield, ILNovember 19, 2013
Pros: free lunches
Good company,good people. I enjoy my job and like what I do. Learned a lot on the job.
Growing company with a lot of challenges
Manager- Financial Shared Services department (Former Employee), Springfield, ILNovember 13, 2013
Throughout my time with H. D. Smith, I learned a lot about the pharmaceutical industry. I improved my skills as a manager and also with recruiting. I was able to be involved in Six Sigma training. The company has been undergoing a huge change by implementing SAP software which has proven to be very challenging. I enjoyed going to work every day and the people I worked with.
good collaboration amongst the team
Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee), Springfield, ILSeptember 19, 2012
Pros: small firm with good culture
Cons: wholesale drug business very tough
found the team to work hard and fucntion as a team. some very good talent in the organization, pulled from larger similar companies
Happy People, Flexible Management, Treats their employees very well
Chargeback Specialist (Former Employee), Springfield, ILApril 11, 2012
Pros: free lunches, snacks, pay, profit sharing, relaxed atmosphere, management
I loved my job, I am very sad I had to quit to move out of state. Very low turnover rate. People pretty much only left because they got promotions. Management was very flexible and easy to get along and helpful but not overbearing. People were nice and helpful, a very small town, friendly community type of feel. Work kept you busy but not stressed. If mistakes were made you weren't made to feel like an idiot. Plenty of room for promotion. Breakfast brought in every Friday along with random goodies from vendors. Business casual was dress code. High compensation along with great benefits and 401k and profit sharing. Free coffee and teas and snacks in break room. Relaxed atmosphere. Absolutely loved it, if you can get a chance to work for this company you'll never want to leave.

About H. D. Smith

H. D. Smith is one of the largest, national wholesale distributors, with services and solutions for manufacturers and healthcare – Read more

H. D. Smith Photos

Company founder Henry Dale Smith (center) with sons Chris Smith (left) and Dale Smith (right)