H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute

H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute Employee Reviews in United States

Took care of the cancer patients
Assistant (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 23, 2016
While working at the Moffitt Cancer center we did multiple things such as delivering mail, and prescriptions to doctors. We also help discharge patients once they are ready to leave the facility. We would also give the patients their lunch.
Work Life balance for IT is non-existent
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 1, 2016
Management does not seem to notice that staff are overworked and very stressed. Projects are always date driven regardless of staff workload. Those dates move frequently. If you are planning a vacation, better get it on the calendar before a project date changes. Management routinely stops allowing PTO or flexible work arrangements. Many managers play favorites. Some teams are not open to new people. There is never enough time to thoroughly analyze work or a project without being told to have it done by a certain date.

The department used to be fun and there was time for group lunches or time to enjoy your evenings. Now there is so much work, you eat at your desk. The Call schedule is a joke. It seems like every weekend is taken up with something for work, and there is no compensation for that work. Working on an issue overnight, does not seem to matter--you still have to come in on time the next day....you wind up working sometimes for 16 hours straight.

Managers are stressed --they seem to be just relaying information from the top down, without sticking up for their employees.
Pros
The mission of Moffitt.
Cons
Non-existent worklife balance. Lack of true leadership. Grueling hours.
small call center
Over -head pages (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 8, 2016
small work area in secure place. people are nice and like to help patients and loved ones get in touch with person needed.
Teaching Hospital
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 31, 2016
Since H Lee Moffitt is a teaching hospital, you never get bored working there. I enjoyed working with the physicians, nurses and staff. The patients are warm and welcome conversation regardless of their condition. It is a great place to work and learn.
Pros
You can learn alot
Cons
Not a first choice for employment
RN (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 31, 2016
The patient and nurse relationship was great. I learned an immense amount about caring for cancer patients. Management was disappointing for the fact that I witnessed many occasions which management did not support the nurses. Unit manager was rarely available and often after expressing a concern, conflict of error the nurse who complained was often let go from employment. My coworkers were terrific and very team oriented. Help was always available and patient assignments were more often than not appropriate and safe. The most enjoyable part of this job was seeing the patients typically for extended periods of time which facilitated connection between the nurse and the patients and the patients family.
A true team
Business Systems Analyst/Technician (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 24, 2016
Fun to work with fellow employees and all were always there to assist when required. Learned how to deal with MD's, RN's and other hospital managers.
Pros
Teamwork and collaberation within departments
Cons
Sometimes short on personnel
Love it!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 22, 2016
Positive environment, great employees, great patients and families. Support system is great. Teamwork at its finest. No drama.
Externship
Medical Assistant Internship (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 9, 2015
I did my externship at Moffitt and learned alot of information that will help me in future endeavours. I assisted in front and back office duties during my time with this company.
Medical assistant
medical assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 30, 2015
I love my job but, I get really attached to my patients and I see lots of thermally ill cancer patients. I would love to find a job that I wasn't afraid that I would never see my patients getting better.
Working on a cancer cure.
Survival Analysis Intern (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 24, 2015
Worked with SAS program to create a prediction model. The goal was to identify patient characteristics which reduced the recurrence of breast cancer in 150 patients. All work was done on a computer with aid of my supervisor. Loved the people and the goal. Job entirely dependent on grant money.
Pros
Work towards a better tomorrow.
Cons
Job security changes with grant money.
Supervisor of EVS
Supervisor Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 17, 2015
I oversee the daily activities of the Environmental Services Department.
I ensure and prescribed levels of cleanliness, sanitation, and appearance are maintained though out the hospital. Supervise staff by orienting, scheduling and providing performance feedback on an ongoing basis. Trains staff in general cleaning and floor care techniques, chemical usage, set up procedures, power equipment operation, and safety. Inspects and cleaned Patient Rooms, Research Labs, Operating Rooms, Emergency Room, Dialysis, Cath Lab, Nuclear Cardiology, PSCU, PACU, ENDO, ASU and public areas to ensure high levels of service are being maintained. Ordered and uphold accurate inventory records and monitors all usage of supplies, chemicals and equipment within area of responsibility. Dispenses and collects keys assigned to Environmental Services staff. Monitors staff adherence to established safety standards. Takes required precautions when working with hazardous materials and power equipment.
Management has FAVORITES
Business office staff (Current Employee) –  tampa, FLNovember 7, 2015
If you are looking to advance in your career, make sure you get in good with any of the management team at Moffitt cause that is the sure way you will advance. It has nothing to do with experience or seniority, its who you rub elbows with that matters.
Benefits
Cons
No advancement with yrs of experience, bonus same every year & raises are small
Great Hospital
Critical Care Nurse III SCU (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 3, 2015
Great hospital to provide care to oncology patients. New management and work demands takes nurses away from the bedside and more to the computers.
Pros
great weekend plus program for people who want to work weekends, beautiful facility, great physicians, high respect for nurses
Cons
oor support from clinical leaders and managemen, poor lunch coverage so many 12 shifts with no break.
Very Nice Place to Intern
Public Relations & Strategic Communications Intern (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 31, 2015
I interned here and truly enjoyed all the people and the work. I feel like I am doing good at this job. Even though its a lot of behind the scenes work, I like seeing the end result.
Productive and fun workplace
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 21, 2015
The workflow is steady and always busy, everyone is willing to help one another. The staff are all very friendly, which makes for a well functioning laboratory.
Pros
Events, benefits, discounts
Clinic Coordinator/LPN (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 12, 2015
Be prepared for changes without notice. Always have a backup plan. Pay is lower than other companies. Management is good. Benefits are good. Space to grow is limited
Moffitt Cancer Center wonderful organization to work for
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tampa FloridaOctober 12, 2015
I have learned compassion, hard work and team work. I have learned stronger communication skills. My co-workers are excellent the hardest part of the job is the communication with 10 people at the same time. Management is excellent. The most enjoyable part of my job are the patients. They have taught me strength and compassion.
Pros
Benefit package and management
Cons
n/a
Great work ethics and learning expirience
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  riverview f;October 7, 2015
One of the best family practice doctors I have ever worked with. Staff and colleagues are among the best with the simple purpose to help people .
Extremely welcoming work environment
Physicians Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 27, 2015
Moffitt Cancer Center is an very good place to work. Every employee is extremely nice to work with. They offer great benefits and PTO.
A caring and compassionate staff and a learning facility
Registered Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 25, 2015
A workplace that devotes time and education to their staff. My co-workers were helpful in day to day duties. The most enjoyable part of this job was seeing the hope and determination of patients and staff in their time of hardship
Pros
All I learned about cancer and research being done to combat this disease
Cons
Moffitt was a positive work experience for me

H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute Reviews by Location