HCR ManorCare

HCR ManorCare Employee Reviews

Friendly co-workers, horrible management
RN 3-11:30pm (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHApril 23, 2013
Friendly co-workers on the nursing floor. Unsafe nurse/patient patio. For long term 34:1 and rehab falls between 20:1 and 27:1. Post op patients where the hospital is discharging people long before they are stable to be discharged to a sub acute facility. There is a revolving door at Heartland. Was told when I was hired I would have two nursing assistants and one other nurse with me. Staffing on weekends is horrific in the facility, management does NOT come in to help. There is an on call, but states to "Do the best you can do." The DON does try to make it work, but the administrator wants total control. Not the best company I have worked for, as to why I am at the hospital now. I would not recommend this job to a new graduate. Very high level of stress in this building. Expected to complete your assignment, short staffed of course, and receive two admissions on your shift. You can guarantee your eight hour shift will be a ten hour shift, and there will always be call offs. VERY VERY low paying company. Very clean facility, free from any odor of urine. The patient is always number one for needs I have to say.
Pros
nursing co-workers willing to help if able, nurse practitioners on day shift, resources on hand
Cons
management staff never available to due to meetings all day. long hours, short staff, low pay scale, not respected by management
Good as a last/only resort
RN Supervisor (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAFebruary 15, 2015
Always expect to work short staffed. When it was brought up to the DON, I was told " Deal with it. Welcome to nursing." DON micromanages entire facility. She is disrespectful to staff, even to the point of doing so in front of other staff, families and residents. She has personally over rode Doctor's orders resulting in serious harm to residents. Unfortunately, she is undergoing personal health issues and takes her anger out on those around her.
Many of staff are extremely petty and actually work against each other. It is every nurse for themselves. Each individual shift is a clique and it is rare for one to help another, but their are exceptions. They seem to be rewarded for doing so. Call outs are constant resulting in short staffing at last minute. Basically, people do not want to work there under the circumstances. Many quit on the spot.
There are many long term residents there that make the job enjoyable. They can see first hand some of the things I listed as issues, and because of that, they not only sympathize with their caregivers, but they are really appreciative of the good care they get when they receive it. They were the only part of the facility I truly miss.
Pros
good chance for varied experience, residents are great
Cons
petty staff, don, no support from management or hr
Frequent Staffing challenges and Staff Turnover
Unknown (Former Employee) –  BaltimoreMarch 19, 2013
A typical day could be very chaotic due to some of the HCR Manor Care facilities inability to retain quality employees. The result is almost too frequent staffing deficits. There is lots of Turnover at both line employees and Management level. The problem is result in the Company hiring Managers who lack basic Leadership skills and human compassion. Majority of the Management staff do not know how to address employees and continuously running around paying the blame game to cover up their inefficiencies and insecurities when things go wrong. The blame game trickle down to 'shift wars'
" My shift is better or does more work that your shift syndrome" Employee do not trust management and you often find "clicks"in a move of employees to survive.If an employee do not belong to a click is often isolated. The most difficult part of the job is an employee having to do more than their share of the job due to staffing deficits. and lack of support or appreciation from Management. Ultimately the quality of care given to the residents suffers. Very Sad! And Boy, Oh Boy! do they know how to clean up house fast with impending State Surveys.....

****PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A REVIEW OF SOME OF THE PRACTICES AT A FACILITY LEVEL NOT THE COMPANY****.
Cons
workable benefit package
Terrible work experience.
CNA (Former Employee) –  WV, OHNovember 24, 2014
I have worked for this company in two separate states, as a CNA. BOTH were bad experiences. In the first facility, they were on the local news, and on attorney commercials for neglect/abuse. I've been personally contacted by private investigators to act as a witness against the facility in atleast two separate wrongful death lawsuits. I was also recently awarded a settlement in a class action lawsuit where nursing staff were continuously mandated to work 16 hr shifts. In the second facility, the CNA wage was the lowest paying hourly wage in the area, paying $3 less than the competitive wage. The work load was heavy, teamwork was not enforced, and in both facilities it was beneath most LPN's and RN's to answer call lights. Nurses would either be sitting at the station talking, or even standing right beside the light in the hallway on their cellphone and wouldn't even look in the room to make sure the patient was ok.. If the CNA was busy, patients had to wait up to 30 mins for the need to be met due to nurses not helping answer lights. There were also a lot of foreign nursing staff, which made a huge communication barrier between staff-coworkers and staff-residents. I would NOT recommend this company as a good employer to work for or a safe environment to place a loved one.
management could care less abt anything that goes on here
unhappy ex employee (Former Employee) –  mcmurray, pennsylvaniaNovember 25, 2012
I worked for manor care twice in 15 yrs. I, infact got my cna there. After not being there for 13 yrs., the place has gone to hell in a handbag. The current management staff does absolutely nothing but sits back and makes the lpns do all their work. Not an ethical place to work anymore.
The cna's, not all are very nice. When I asked for help for assisting with a resident a co worker told me she couldn't help me, she was too busy to help.
No one knows what's going on in the place, no communication what so ever. They do not like it when your sick or have family matters that you have to attend to and have to miss a day, but all mgmt & their "clicks" can do what they want.
Breaks...that's funny....cause you only get a break after all your work is done and sometimes not even then.
Its not a clean place to work, residents rooms are not manditory to clean and neither are the hallways. residents rights are not made an issue here... corporate tells the residents what they can and cannot have in their care plans not what the resisents or their families want. If an aide neglects a resident, the facility and mgmt over look it. ( not a safe enviroment, here). Never seen a more unorganized, unsafe facility, in my life!
They care only about mgmt and that's it.
Cons
everything
Bad Enviroment for the Elderly and needy.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Venice FloridaFebruary 19, 2014
Underskilled, hostile management, with hostile personalities. Patient care was poor. Many falls and no supplies, such as bedside mats, skid free socks, call lights not working, staff having to work too much overtime, laundry missing and never returned. Poor training for new graduates. Loose electrical sockets, chipped paint, poor attitudes. Residents not having water within hands reach at all times. Patients overmedicated. RN/LPN shortage, old workers with a lot of negative and hostile behaviors, patient neglect...worse place to work of the many nursing homes in Florida.....At 55 p;us residents. Activity room accomthe people needing assistance with feeding were not helped. Not enough room in dininig room for the residents, the activity room accommodated approximately 15-20 residents, leaving many without activities...Many resident complained Physical therapy was painful, a Unit Manager who did not show up for her job one third of the time, a Direcotor whose first words out of her mouth were, "I could fire you" always threatening and hostile to staff,. She hated her job! Housekeeping was lazy one cleaner for fifty rooms.....
Pros
no pros except to seek employment else where or hate beeing there
Cons
as stated in the paragraph
Manor Scare
Nurse manager (they call all nurses that) (Former Employee) –  Long term, WellingtonNovember 1, 2012
Worked as LPN, my first "no restraint" facility, my first day of orientation, 4 falls, 2 went to hospital. Later, I would find my 12 hour shift unrelieved by incoming staff, and the scheduler would fail to tell me i was staying till 11 pm. (From 7 am) My husband was not at all happy. This happened on many occasions. They never seemed to understand it would be nice to be asked.

Also, lack of equipment and supplies. No potty chairs except for showers. That means disabled people having to sit on low toilet and having no convenient way to wipe under them. Very messy. CNA's have 14 pts on day shift. Often more than that. Nurses are expected to do CNA work on top of their own med passes and treatments. Nurses expected to stay over for free doing paperwork, reams of fall paperwork. Mats on floor for high fall risk patients- I mean mattresses directly on floor. Bad for staff backs.

Inquiring families impressed with excellent housekeeping, staff really is top notch in keeping the facility beautiful. And this is where they get hooked.

Nurses expected to keep track of patients divided among 5 dining rooms, and are expected to feed by hand as they deliberately understaff CNA's. There can be a LOT of feeders. Impossible expectations.
Pros
clean
Cons
everything
Enjoyed my residents and co-workers and enjoyed the challenges that my position as an LPN/Charge nurse Supervisor afforded me on a daily basis.
LPN Charge Nurse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Clarksburg, WVSeptember 17, 2013
This was my first Nursing job. Obtained an invaluable amount of experience over the seven years that I was affiliated with HCR. I was lucky to work with many exceptional people over the time that I worked there. Overall they were very dedicated to the residents and many times went above and beyond to ensure they were taken care of in an exemplary manner. I worked 12 hour shifts and my days were extremely busy. Completed a large med pass, directed/ supervised nursing care provided by CNAs. Communicated with physicians as needed and transcribed and carried out their orders. Evaluated residents when a change of condition occurred and communicated these changes appropriately. Staffing of facility was difficult at times which was challenging. Overall, grew close to many of my residents and enjoyed the staff that I worked with. Left of my own choice for a change of pace after seven years,
Pros
good pay and benefits; challenging; worked well with co-workers
Cons
staffing issues, hcr corporate staff came in the facility often and were very rude and negative to staff
Helpful and friendly rehab staff
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Palos Heights, ILAugust 8, 2012
A typical day at work reviewing my schedule and begin to work with my patients providing skilled PT services to maximize my patient's functional level and safety to achieve short and long term goals upon discharge. Nursing management is not very compliant to assist with preparing our patients for therapy transport secondary to late dinning, medications and having patients dressed. Rehab management is great, very helpful, always available to assist with patient and therapist concerns. Co workers are the best I have ever worked with, very helpful, friendly, caring for patients and exhibits a positive attitude towards our profession even under stress. The hardest part of the job is when a patient is terminally ill and therapy will not help them recover. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the patients and sharing their appreciation and happiness when they recover and get to go home.
Pros
the ability to assist patients with their recovery upon discharge, and share thier joy to return back to their normal life
Cons
the travel route, patients not ready for theray secondary to late service of breakfast and lunch

Comment – December 11, 2012

you drank their kool aid kid. are we talking about the same manor care at palos? i meant both manor care at palos? kid, you need to wake up and smell the roses.

This not the job you want
Medication Technician (Former Employee) –  Pikesville, MDJuly 24, 2013
Run save yourself this place is the most morally corrupt place on the planet a typical day is filled with back biting that's fueled from management they pit the staff against one another they team up to intimidate and retailiate when anyone has a issue if you need to call out or a day off forany reason when you return the whole building knows your business including some residents no matter how personal you can always tell if they are upset with you,just look at the schedule they will mess with your time if u cant work when they need you to no matter how many times you have been there for them in the past its never enough your 2% raise is given to u three months after your anniversary date morale is so low everyone is upset,nervous and financially strapped so if u want to end of stressed and depressed please feel free to apply and bring a friend they will hire anyone very high turnover rate people beat the door down getting out of there no one stays and the poor residents smell horrible and the cursing from management is crazy.
Pros
the residents appreciate anything they can get done
Cons
the pay sucks big time and no room for growth
My Days At Manor Care
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAMay 9, 2015
A typical day at HCR Manor Care was a day that would keep you going even if you did not want to. Everything and everyone was on the go. From waking up residents early in the morning to assisting the residents back into bed in the evening depending on the shift. I assisted in feeding, personal hygiene, bathing if need be, dressing, transportation to and from meals, activities, etc. I have learned a lot at HCR Manor Care such as and for starters my skills as a nurses aide, patience, adjustment as far as adjusting to an on going changing work environment and team work. My co-workers were amazing we all did our parts, jobs, and duties. Always lent a hand when need be. Also to help things go more smoothly and in a more timely manner. The hardest part of working at HCR Manor Care in my opinion was building relationships with residents and having to see them go. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help the residents. Making life a bit easier for them made me feel good. To know I made a difference for someone even if that meant doing something as small as handing them their glasses.
Pros
steady paced environment.
Cons
short breaks
Poor management
Registerd Nurse Hospice (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJanuary 17, 2016
I am Registered Nurse and and have never been treated so disrespectfully, yelled at, verbally threatened by the DOPS, and made to feel I had no common sense. The longest an RN has stayed on the payroll is 11 months. They have either been fired or quit.

I reported to the Corporate office patients who did not qualify for services or improved in medical status, changing of patient records by the administrator, DOPS and the NP, my notes were removed from the patient records and re written by the DOPS to make the patient seem sicker than they were therefore recertable.
The same two management employees still work here. What does that tell you????

The pay is $31.00 an hour no matter if you are a new nurse out of school or aged nurse wtih many years.

They expect you to work your 8 to 5 shift then take call at 5 pm which includes admissions, consultations, answering the phones and deaths. Might I add the travel is 55 miles north and south. Sometimes it took an hour to get from my home to the deceased patient residence during the night.

If you are job looking keep looking don't stop here. Good luck!
Pros
Set pay of $31.00 hour
Cons
No support from managment
Great entry level administration opportunity.
RN, Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bethel Park, PAFebruary 14, 2013
I enjoyed my time with HCR Bethel Park, Manorcare. During my employment I gained an abundance of training, expertise and knowledge that I have been able to transfer into other employment opportunities.

I am very pleased that my Admissions Coordinator position allowed me a fantastic opportunity to learn learn on a daily basis working closely and directly with the Business Director managing daily operations.

Trained and educated on the job to comply with PA State - Nursing Home guidelines, Policies and Procedures, Rules & Regulations, Accurate documenation.

I was also trained with the daily calculations of Client Out of Pocket expenses, Co-Payments, Medical assistance financial contributions, Insurance payments including both short & long term, Facility daily operating expenses, PA State & Federal grant conributions, which were relevant with the reimbursement of indigent client accounts and responsibilities.
Pros
business experience, sales & marketing, working close with families and clients
Cons
turn over of administrative administrators within a short timeframe
Awesome & caring co-workers, lousy Management
Management (Former Employee) –  WIFebruary 28, 2014
Heartland's parent company, HCR Manorcare, sets unrealistic expectations for growth in census and budget and thus places the Administration and Regional Management in a $'s mode and not a patient and staff driven mindset. Patients are often "bullied" into choosing Heartland immediately upon Heartland receiving even a hint of a referral. Heartland's definition of a patient referral for hospice services is ANY "body" referenced within earshot of any Heartland employee as POSSIBLY experiencing a decline in their health. Heartland's staff is then mandated to immediately go into action to find the referral eligible in ANY WAY POSSIBLE and then admit them asap. They even go as far as to talk to unactivated POA's who have more influence over patients instead of adhering to HIPPA regulations. When employees are let go because of trying to do the right thing, what does that say about the leadership of the agency? Who would want to work for such an agency? Not me....at least not anymore.
Pros
some awesome coworkers who become great friends
Cons
administration is $'s driven, not people (patients & staff) driven
Dangerous company to work for
Registered nurse case manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond VirginiaJanuary 18, 2016
RN case manager for approximately seven months during that time I saw five nurses terminated for whatever reason

Often heard the administrator and the director of professional services changing records actually some of the records were completely rewritten to make the patient look like they qualify for hospice when they did not qualify as their status has improved or stabilized on serval occasions the medical director told the supervisor to discharge the patient and she did not

The director of professional services was reported numerous times by facilities, patients, families, employees, for being rude and arrogant however she is still employed

Stay away from this place it is a set up to get in trouble, lose your license, So Run run, run as fast as you can and tell all your friends do not apply or work for this company
this is one company you will see on channel 12

And everyone that is hired gets paid $31 an hour regardless of your experience the nurses with approximately two years of experience made the same money I did
Pros
You get a paycheck
Cons
Run fast away from this company
If you want to get fired for nothing work here #2
don (Former Employee) –  Green bay westSeptember 24, 2014
I was also in a salaried position at manor care Green bay west. I was told also I was not working enough. I had made arrangements to work 8:30- 5:30 with the administrator at the beginning of my employment.Which is more than 8 hours daily. Many nights I was there until 6. I was also told I was not performing at their expectations. I never even received basic orientation for hire, I was told I got an extensive orientation, which was with a women who was pregnant, she had no patience and I got maybe 4 hours total with her. I got very little orientation. This facility was also extremely dysfunctional, no organization and the administrator is just a terrible person. She lied about many situations concerning conversations we had so she would not look bad. I also consider it a favor that I did lose my job there and highly suggest if you are a nurse that you do not work at any Manor care. You will run your butt off, get no help or credit for all you do and then they will come up with a reason to fire you if you are not doing what they think is appropriate. Don't apply run, run away very fast!!!!!!
Cons
terrible place to work
Productive & Rewarding Experience
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHJanuary 17, 2013
Worked in an enviroment of hard working and fast team enviroment. Kept updated on new procedures and through HCR University, able to maintain values structured and implemented by the company. Keeping all staff at every level of the company informed and materials to keep staff updated on both HEPA and OSHA regulations. Supervised and delegated duties to CNA's, while also working beside them on a mutual level of respect and understanding. The hardest part of my job was time management. Patient care versuses paperwork and documentation. The most enjoyable part of my job was being blessed with the ability to help those patients that was in need of help, also blessed and annointed by the Heavenly Father to do my job to the best of my abilities.
Pros
job security, open door policy by some in upper management positions, attempt to schedule staff to meet personal issues or priorities.
Cons
gossip, clicks, and those that worked below their potential, making fast judgement calls before getting the facts together and accurate, by upper management and floor staff alike
good
Registered Nurse (Nurse Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Fountain Valley, CaJuly 17, 2013
A typical day at work consists of being able to manage time. 8 hour shifts, plan of care with change of conditions of patients, medication regimens, and appropriate documentation. I've learned how to delegate better, how to identify the right approach with patients with different kinds of diagnoses, how to manage/supervise others as well as time; but most of all, I've learned what kind of person I am, both as an employee and as a person. Co-workers are both helpful and encouraging. The hardest part of the job would be experience. Due to the capacity of patients, the demand of time and the plan of care based upon patients with multiple diagnoses. Being a new graduate coming on to the company without any experience as a registered nurse, time management and plan of care were what I lacked. But, working with the company has helped me better what I lacked. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning how to become a better nurse as well as how to become a better person outside of work.
Pros
supervisory/management skills
Cons
job advancement if managment is not your passion/career goal
Could be a great place to work if you weren't constantly overwhelmed and under too much stress
Admissions Director (Current Employee) –  Somewhere in the SouthApril 22, 2013
I enjoy the idea of what this position is supposed to be. I feel like in my particular situation, I was working the jobs of two people. On one hand, I was expected to be a marketer and keep all of my reporting systems up to date while calling on outside sources. On the other hand, I was required to do a ton of administrative work that tied me down to the building. No matter if I worked 40 hours a week or 60 hours, it was never enough. I was on call 24/7, and I was held to a time table to respond to requests, even on evenings and weekends. I was routinely expected to work afer hours, before hours, on weekends, etc. I loved interacting with the families and residents. I enjoyed seeing the progress of each of my admits from the time they came into the bulding until the time they left. I also enjoyed my co-workers. It is wonderful to work with people who truly care about people. Everyone always seemed completely overwhelmed, though. Eventually, the helpless, hopeless feelings became too much to experience on a daily basis.
Wouldn't put a family member here if they paid me
Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Ft lauderdaleSeptember 14, 2012
This company is a joke. They have no focus on employee retention or advancement and a total disregard for patient dignity. They rather hire and fire constantly new grads then invest in their employees clinical skills. The management has no clue what is going on or what to do. The corporate employees only care about receiving their fat bonus instead of running a company. The nursing staff blatantly abuses the patients rights and has a total lack of care for human dignity. There are some good employees who work there especially within the rehab department however they dont provide any clinical training or advancement potential. Overall I wouldn't recommend this place to any patient or to any potential employee. They can't keep a full time staff and are constantly bringing in contract employees. They border on illegal activities not having enough nurses per patients and requiring employees work 8 hour shifts with no breaks.
Pros
excellent rehab staff and coworkers
Cons
bad pay, disorganized, lack of clinical skills within the company