HCR ManorCare Employee Reviews

Found 2,227 reviews matching the search
Great place for new CNA
Certified Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montrose, COJanuary 27, 2017
One of the best long term care facilities that I've been to. It's a non-profit organization and it was Christian based. Staff was great to work with. Some shifts were challenging at times due to lack of staff. I appreciate the experience I gained with dementia and Alzheimer residents and learning how to redirect a patient with behaviors.
Pros
Cons
Under staffed at times
Helping others is a great job
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WIJanuary 27, 2017
HCR Manor Care is a nice nursing home and have great nursing staff members that knows how to take care of their residents and patients. Every day is different and sometimes a struggle, but once my shift was over, I felt good that they are all safe and taken care of.
Pros
the job is fullfilling
Cons
short breaks
Had 4 years working here. I enjoy my job and taking care of my patients but management needs improvement.....
certified nursing assistant (Former Employee) –  Sinking Spring, PAJanuary 26, 2017
I learned to work in a fast paced environment on the rehab unit. I enjoyed my job just not the management needs improvement. When you lose really good employees, it should be an eye opener.
Pros
Wonderful friendships, love my patients
Cons
Understaffed
Sad and Disturbing Work Place
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJanuary 26, 2017
The place was unclean, some patients sat in their own filth while other CNA's sat in restrooms reading magazines. At times, I was caring for other patients besides my assigned wing, due to other CNA's not performing their work duties.
Pros
Learning wound care and such with one of the nurses.
Cons
Staff not performing duties.
Always short staffed
Licensed Practical Nurse-Night Shift (Former Employee) –  Montrose, COJanuary 25, 2017
It is a fair place to work, be sure to ask questions and always follow through on resident cares. The nursing homes are usually short staffed, the unit was staffed with ONE aide and 18-19 residents, which I feel is totally unacceptable.
Below Average
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJanuary 25, 2017
Even though the environment and other CNA's are friendly and fun to be around, it is constantly short staffed (having over 18 patients per CNA) and the scheduling is very poor. They schedule people on the wrong days and the daily schedule does not match the master, therefore wrong people are showing up then returning home. Nurses do not get on the floor often to help out and patients can be overly demanding.
Do not work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJanuary 24, 2017
I would not recommend working for this company. The administration is horrible, you're overworked, always work short and everyone complains. Do not work at this company.
The people are nice to work with.
Activities Assistant - full time (Current Employee) –  Sinking Spring, PAJanuary 24, 2017
Everyone is very nice to work with. It is a pleasure to interact with all of the residents. I have learned quite a few things about interacting with the dementia residents.
Horrible facility
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJanuary 24, 2017
Heartland in Decatur, IL was a very poorly ran facility. Constantly short staffed and very neglectful to their residents.
Cons
Rarely time for breaks, short staffed, poorly ran building, rude staff, neglectful to residents, poor attitudes
summary
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, PA 17404January 22, 2017
This company does not care about its employees. All staff members working on the floor are over worked, there is never enough staff to cover the floors. CNA's have too many residents per aide.
Dont apply here
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 22, 2017
Welcome to HCR manorcare. If you work here you will find that you are always under staffed. You will have 20+ residents to yourself and will be expected to do it all by yourself while the nurses just sit there and watch. The DON doesn't seem to really care about the staff. It is poor quality of life for the residents. The administrator doesn't care either. If you get an interview you will most likely get the job because they are desperate for staff. Trust me you don't want to work here. Oh and you don't get paid enough to do the work of 3. Enough said. You will have 2 assists residents and you will be the only CNA down your hall. Tell me how you are supposed to take care of a two assist by yourself.
Pros
Nothing. Absolutely nothing
Cons
Everything. DO NOT WORK HERE
Some of management difficult to work with
Wound Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJanuary 21, 2017
Many nurses of different cultures have entire families apart from their own immediate families to take care of who are located in other countries.This requires them to work two jobs at times. This is the case for a few of the supervisors who work at Manor Care. Working so many hours causes them to be very short or curt in their manner. I felt it very difficult to work with some of these supervisors who were under so much pressure to care for not only the patients but the nurses and their families with so little time for rest. I became proficient in wound care there and found that very interesting and enjoyable to see how my care had such positive effects..
Pros
This position gave me the opportunity to further my interest in wound care.
Cons
Management difficult to work with
Awful, uncaring and extremely unhealthy
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 20, 2017
Kitchen staff was nice enough, but the uncleanliness of that place was atrocious. Should've called the Health Department. I asked for gloves and no one even knew where they were. It was absolutely the worst place I have ever worked. I feel sorry for all the people that have to eat there. They would reuse stuff that had been out in the dining room for the next people. Just plain unsanitary. I never even saw one person wash their hands either, along with not knowing where the gloves were, but they must've not known where the sinks were either. Disgusting handling food with their bare hands.
Pros
No pros
Good first year experience
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove Village, ILJanuary 15, 2017
Excellent work environment. It is a tiring job because you have to be on your feet the whole time. Friendly co-workers. 8-hour shifts. You can get between 8-12 patients per shift. 1 30-minute break for lunch and 2 15-minute breaks.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
Many patients assigned to one CNA
Horrible Staffing, Patient safety in geopardy
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Libertyville, ILJanuary 14, 2017
I work for HCR Manor Care.

We never have enough people. Nurses only have time to pass meds and that is it for the most part with a few very basic health assessments. CNAs barely have time for much beyond answering call lights.

I don't feel like HCR Manor care values the safety and wellbeing of their patients. My patient load is around 20 to 1, same for the CNAs

There is no time to help every resident with everything they need help with, which is sad and unethical but myself and the staff does everything within their power to help the residents.

There is only time for the basics. I pass meds. CNAs give food, change diapers, answer call lights, give water, change more and more diapers, do showers, Most Nurses and CNAs SKIP LUNCH every single day so they don't run behind but legally required to punch out as if lunch was taken to avoid HR from retaliating.

Charting is never done on time because there is no time to really finish it until the shift is over or during the very short time between call lights once in a blue moon.

CNAs don't have time to help every resident brush their teeth, change their clothes, give them everything they ask for throughout the day, rub lotion on their severly dry feet, etc. All the little things that are less important individually but very important if they can be all done at same time.

Everybody here is doing the jobs of two people at once. It is very stressful and at the end of the day we're not getting paid enough to put our minds through this stress and our licenses at risk.

DO NOT WORK HERE if you value your sanity and
  more... your hard earned license.

DO WORK HERE IF you have no other choice, or if you want a lot of overtime and want to be surrounded by very dedicated people willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good.
Pros
Overtime opportunities every day.
Cons
Unethically high patient to nurse and nurse aide ratios, low to avg industry pay, no time to take any breaks like lunch.
Ask how often they need to hire
NOC RN (Former Employee) –  Gig Harbor, WAJanuary 12, 2017
Worked at GigHarbor, WA as NOC RN. Was never able to reach the supervising nurse on call with questions when emergencies arose. One night had 55 patients with only 1 CNA to help when we had a Noro virus infecting numerous patients. Management knew we were dangerously understaffed and refused to get agency help. Management always understaffed on real nurses but had a huge administrative RN/LPN day staff. The day staff nurses were listed as being on call in case of emergencies/new nurse queries but never answered a phone call at night. A nearby facility had hired 2 nurses to do the same job. The food was terrible and they were trying to cut the budget further. Employees believed management got bonuses by cutting costs and this really lowered morale.
Pros
The floor nurses were professional and hard working
Cons
Management unprofessional, dishonest, indifferent to patients and staff needs
run do not work for this company
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Yeadon, PAJanuary 11, 2017
They money hungry dont care about staff or residents Mangement is rude they come up with they own rules very dirty place they do the minimum to pass with the state roaches and mice bed bug infested but they want you to catch the bugs in order for them to fo something they always short
Pros
Your residents some feel like family
Cons
little pay, over worked
Horrible management, micromanaged, no room for growth
Account Liaison (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 11, 2017
No room for growth, micromanaged by manager. Constantly chastised even when performing above and beyond monthly quota. You see favoritism, non performing employees given positions such as "senior AL" when they clearly do not meet or exceed bonus structure.
They constantly change their rules because they can, and then use a legal clause in their handbook to use against you. Play very dirty. You go months and months without seeing a member of upper management, even though you're told they will attend MAP meetings and such. They never show up. The admin at the office I worked was not a team player, she focused only on clinical team and completely dismissed the marketing team. She would also never address customer concerns, had to be forced to even admit their was one even when sales reps would clearly document what the account was unhappy with. If you're looking to be appreciated at work, don't work here. They don't care one bit about the individual- you're just a number.
Pros
Cons
Sketchy, never know where you stand, too many management heads who do nothing
Very interesting facility to work at, adequate training
RN MDS Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLJanuary 10, 2017
I was employed as a Registered Nurse MDS Coordinator completing patient assessments by assessments of the patients and entering the information into the Medicare system in an efficient and timely manner. A typical day included meeting with the patients, physicians, nursing and rehab staff; daily management team meetings; completing quality indicator reports, and complete frequent training updates. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and with the patients. At times it was difficult to get other team members to complete needed tasks so that the assessments could be completed on time but by the end of the day, the job was completed successfully.
Terrible place to work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, PAJanuary 8, 2017
Manor Care is always understaffed. They have a low pay rate and lousy client care. The rehab sections are great, because the company they use is fabulous, however the skilled nursing care which is the majority of their trade is bordering on negligence. It was not uncommon to have two aids on a floor of 50 people for second shift. We are not talking walkie talkie's either, full hoyer lifts and 2 assists make up the majority of your work.
They are a corporation bottom line and the company as a whole is just that. The extensive paid training makes you believe your about to embark on a great job with a company that cares for you and the residents. Sorry, that is far from the case.
2 years there, 12 years experience.
Cons
They mandate 30 minutes off pay for lunch breaks that you seldom get

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HCR ManorCare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9