HP Hood LLC Employee Reviews in United States

don't plan on having a life
Processor (Former Employee) –  Oneida, NYMay 3, 2016
This is not what it used to be,it used to be a good place to work but now they don't know how to treat people.I was there for13 years with12 years in a position I enjoyed,then for no reason and with no explanation I was placed in positions I had no interest in doing.This was done through emails to my supervisors,leaving them in the middle of it.there is no more advancements from within anymore,supervisors are hired from outside and have no idea what is involved in any of jobs here and some are on a power trip.They look for any reason to write you up.safety is a joke,they make you go to meetings every month to go over the same things again and again year after year.If you do get hurt it's always your fault and not because they didn't address a safety concern,they wait until someone does get hurt then fix the problem.Production schedule never stays the same, you go in on Monday it says you have a weekend off but by Friday you will be working the weekend,so don't plan on having a life.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything
productive
Truck Driver/Yard Jockey/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Agawam, MADecember 13, 2015
My typical day was starting off with my team loading my truck with my help. Then I will deliver the product to different grocery stores. My team was very energetic and caring company. Everyday was a productive, The hardest part of the job was making sure the trailers were ready for delivery.
Pros
Safty bonus
Cons
I don't have anything negative to say about this company
Good Place to Work
Quality Control Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 30, 2015
I worked in their lab for 18 months. There was always a steady amount of work which made the time pass quickly. But the management was always fair and felt valued as an employee their. The benefits were good.
Run, don't walk from this job
esl (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 1, 2015
The reviews are right. This is the highest paying job I've ever had but it is also the worst job I've ever had. This is a multibillion dollar company that cannot seem to maintain their equipment. Machines break down on a daily basis. It's like trying to do your job with one hand tied behind your back. You are reminded daily that you are expendable and can be replaced. Management resorts to threats on a regular basis & reminds you- there are cameras watching at all times. That is a common threat "I will be forced to look at the camera footage". They will come up to you 30 minutes before the end of your shift and demand you work overtime. Come on! I don't mind OT, but at least give me enough time to make arrangements with my sitter. Your fellow employees will throw you under the bus, not to be mean but because they are scared for their own jobs. Too many people thinking they are boss. Very unpleasant atmosphere to work in. Not worth the money. Probation is a joke. It's all in whether or not they like you. And if they don't like you.......it's like there is a target on your back. They will eventually get you
Pros
pay & insurance
Cons
UPPER management, machines that only half work, bad atmosphere.
Beware
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Sacramento CaAugust 18, 2015
Scheduling a day off, even without pay, is an impossibility. Ridiculous company policy that using earned time off is disciplined and can lead to termination. The management is focused on "catching" employees in petty situation which will lead to write ups rather than actually providing tools, information, or support for the employees to do the job. Essential equipment breaks down and is left to collect dust for months. The plant is constantly understaffed. Redundant, irrelevant, and outdated tests are the norm, with no course for suggestions to make them modern. Everyone covers their tracks and tries to avoid being held responsible for the mistakes of an overgrown production. Pay is okay for a starting position but the plant is a Union so you'll be making the same as people who have been there for 20 years. You'll have no chance for advancement or pay raises, a little detail they leave out when making the job offer. Other departments will reminded you as often as possible that they lack a college degree but earn as much, or more, than you. Disrespect for the lab is encouraged from the top. Management distrusts and ignores lab results if they delay with production schedules. In essence the lab exist only to create documentation. There is a false sense of safety which borders as a scam. Posters brag of 1500+ days without an injury while broken bones and burns are swept under the rug. Loopholes in injury definitions are exploited to win awards from corporate. If you do stick it out don't look forward to a better sift of better day off, employee turnover is huge, but not for the  more... old timers who are invested.  less
Pros
Starting pay is ok.
Cons
Outdated Lab, incompetent and irrational management, indifferent union reps.
Great job security, poor work environment
Quality Assurance Foreman/Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2015
Great job security, producing a great product for consumers (cultured dairy products) Hours were not the greatest, and I worked many holidays (Christmas and Thanksgiving etc etc) although I was well compensated for the holidays.

This is a union shop manufacturing company and it seemed like the culture was straight out of the 50's, but when I left it was improving. Good place for health benefits, and for pay but the culture was not great.

I had a good experience here overall, I worked for eight years at this company. When I left it was to rejoin the bio-pharmaceutical industry.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
culture
Excellent position if content with career in small-town environment
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oneida, NYMarch 9, 2015
Work requires much attention and time. Management has strong bonds and values product, employees welfare and quality. Scope and span of position is vast but rewarding. General expectations are high.
Pros
excellent employees, strong work ethic and community bond
Cons
n/a
At will employee (subject to fire for no reason)
Driver (Current Employee) –  AgawamFebruary 23, 2015
Great pay.. And new trucks are the only perks. Management is being forced to be puppets and to shake every last dime they can find. You'll learn quick your a number here. The only hope in a future is if the drivers organize! Union very much needed.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
rotating days
many many rules, some supervisors do NOTHING
vac relief (Current Employee) –  lafargevilleFebruary 22, 2015
Pay is good, benefits are soso, management is a joke. Work long hours, no training routines, union stewards are ballless towards company
Pros
pay
Cons
no home time
No home life...AT ALL!!
ESL (Current Employee) –  SacramentoJanuary 20, 2015
I am a current employee of this company, and although it pays well and the medical is decent, those are the only up side to the job. If you have a family, be prepared not to see them. If you like your holidays off, you won't get them here. You like weekends off, you'll never get them. You're constantly dealing with management that is incompetent and will hold the back of your neck down in the mud to prove a point to others.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
everything else
Do not work here!
Warehouse Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 12, 2014
I you want to give your life to a company and wonder if everyday will be your last at this job, then this is the place for you. Upper management is in way over their heads and keep people in place to use as scape goats to cover up their inabilities to handle this plant.

Keep in mind it doesn't matter who you are, you are disposable and reminded of it weekly.
Cons
you name it.
Great Workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Agawam, MANovember 7, 2014
Everything I know about customer service I learned from Hood this is great place to work and develop your skills. The management team is very motivating and fair. Good pay too especially compared to other companies.
great products
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Arkport, NYJuly 24, 2014
Each day is something new and different. Small town. Close to Hornell and shopping center.
good company
Customer Service / Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Agawam, MAJune 5, 2014
Different Departments have different managers and rules. Some departments are very enjoyable others are not. Great company to work for if you have the right manager.
Pros
great company
Cons
changes taking place brought down moral and bad training on certain managers made job not doable.
Big company with some minor changes could be great.
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Agawam, MAApril 1, 2014
Always work to do. I have learned to manage my time and be more productive. I have put myself out there to learn different types of jobs in order to move up with the company as well.
Pros
big company, lots of work
Cons
not many opportunity for job advancements
worst job i ever had very mis managed and unsafe hood arkport ny
operator (Former Employee) –  arkport nyMarch 4, 2014
Former employee ...yay .. taught mamy important safety rules that were extreamly important and crucial,And were the law!!! Only problem is they never fallowed these rules to get things done on time management fudge paperwork nonstop to satisfy FDA its just a matter of time before people die no joke!! When you try to do the work the right way you get chastised for taking way too long to finish the work and your job gets threatened all the time the best thing they did was to let me go becouse i took too long and refused to take shortcuts and risk lives .Ill sleep good at night they can't say that:)
Pros
good pay and insurance
Cons
definetely have to be family or drinking buddy must be willing to break the laws to work here
Career orientated professional with room for advancement and growth
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHSeptember 27, 2013
Responsible Driver adept at navigation and efficient, on-time deliveries. Possesses a comprehensive visual memory and an excellent sense of direction.Customer-oriented Driver who maintains thorough and accurate records and notes to keep management informed of delivery progress.Patient and safe delivery professional offering 3Customer-oriented Driver skilled at promoting customer retention, assisting with loading and unloading and completing precise logs and paperwork. years experience, a clean driving record and a current CDL. In-depth knowledge of safety and traffic regulations and defensive driving techniques.
Pros
healthcare benefits and working with members of the community
Cons
extremely physically demanding
Don't Do it!!!!!!
Packaging (Former Employee) –  SodusSeptember 20, 2013
I personally worked for this company for a total of 3 months until I ended up in the hospital and had emergency surgery. It was either have the surgery and be out of work for a month or die. I had the surgery had excuses to be out for a month but 3 days before I was suppose to go back Human Resources calls me and says I was let go. I asked why and they just said they could not hold my job any longer!!!! So yes they will throw you away before your probation period is up and yes they will work you to the core. I was working 12 hour days 7 days a week for 4 weeks no days off at all!!!!!! Only reason I stayed is because I liked the pay and over time, but I am a single mom so I had to have a sitter for all of those days and I never did see my daughter much!!! They do not care about it, they don't train you very well and expect you to be very quick even if you hurt yourself they do not care!!!!!! The people you work with are nasty also. I was told that the company could not do that because I had an excuse but guess what they can do whatever they want because you don't mean anything to them!!!!!!! And forget about asking to go to the bathroom that is just out of the question.
Cons
the whole aptmosphere
Meat Market
manager (Former Employee) –  HatfieldApril 16, 2013
They will beat you into the ground. The management team wants to run the company form a distance and keep turnover going. No support.
Pros
good local team
Cons
lack of upper management support
overall a good place to work
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Agawam, MAMarch 9, 2013
The employees are very hard working. The maintenance staff are very professional. The managemnet team works very hard to keep the plant running and safe
Pros
very safety minded
Cons
too much micro management

2.7