HP

Found 2,671 reviews matching the search
Avoid working for HP at Washington Navy Yard in DC. Here is why
Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Washington Navy yard in DCFebruary 10, 2015
Site Manager:

Unpredictable, moody, disrespectful and unprofessional. She has no problem yelling at people and later giving them a hug. She made up roles as she pleased and if asked about it she would say it’s from higher ups and it’s not her. One day she is in a good mood the next day she could be angry and be yelling at people. Yes, yelling and I am not kidding. I heard her yelling at people several times. Her anger and insults were usually over something minuscule.

She not only mistreated her employees (mostly sub-contractors) but was the same to her leads or Q managers. One case in particular, I thought she was threatening one of the Q mangers really badly to a point of being extremely disrespectful.

The site manager played favorites: If you were a full time HP employee you were treated a bit better most of the time, although that depended on her mood or the kind of day.

Example: An HP employee came back from sick leave and she barely did any tickets. We saw her several times in her car resting /smoking. Her name was not mentioned in weekly ticket count report. However, she was still working and the manger had no problem with her. However, if any of us didn't perform as expected and did fewer tickets, we were briefed and would have to explain as to why we were not doing more tickets. Yet, the HP employees like this one and others could walk around and be gone for hours and no questions were asked. If someone inquired directly or indirectly their answer was “oh… so and so is on a special project.”

The manger could hire you to be in one group, but that could change at
  more... any time. She could move you to a different group or a different building to cover for someone else. You don’t have any choice.

Operational Manger:

This position is for individuals who can interact and communicate effectively, be professional and be an example to other employees. However, this individual was the opposite. He did NOT know how to communicate; he was rude, and very unprofessional.

Example: He hardly said anything positive about anyone and always made negative comments behind employees back. As an employee you will be dealing with him on a daily basis. He will send you emails which is full of unprofessional etiquette demanding you do something ASAP and makeup rules as he wished. He seemed to be an unhappy person and this reflected on his treatment of others. He had no problem insulting his employees. He seemed starved for attention, made sure informing you that he was the authority, and he was not very confident of himself either. He was totally the wrong person for the job. However, the site Manager liked him because he did whatever she told him to do and had no opinion of his own.

Working Environment:

You will be working on a floor of a building that has the worst conditions. The carpet was dirty and smelly. During the summer, there were a lot of ants in the room. The room was not vacuumed and trash was not picked up. You had to clean your own area and pick up your own trash. There was no cleaning service. The cooling and heating system never worked properly. Summer time when it was 90 degrees outside was 90 in the office. There was no air circulation, so if someone used a microwave in the brake room you smelled the food on the other side of the hall. Nobody seemed to care really.

As a sub-contractor you have no room to grow, in fact if the contract changes or renews you may even get a pay cut (this actually happened to my coworkers).

Apparently, there used to be another site manger before the current one and everyone loved him. He treated everyone as adults and was very kind and professional. As soon as she took over everything changed. I was there several months and felt like every 3 weeks someone was leaving. It’s a revolving door and the management knew it.

Upper level management were either not aware of this or if they were they didn't care. The only thing they cared about was ticket numbers and no customer complaints/flags. As long as the site manager took care of the work they were happy with her. In my opinion, if they wanted to find out why this place is a revolving door, they could have done employee surveys or exit interviews which are a normal practice with other reputable and respectable companies. They will hire sub-contractors or sub to sub with low pay ($18 per hour), with barely any benefits. They didn't seem to care when people left because they would hire more the next week.

Save your respect and dignity and stay away from working for HP at Washington Navy Yard in DC under NGEN contract. There are a lot of Help Desk jobs in DC that offer much better opportunities.
Cons
read below
Great way to get some hands on training. That is about it anymore.
Assembly/Test Technician/Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 10, 2015
Over my time working with Hewlett Packard I have had the opportunity to learn quite a bit. I have been able to learn how their test process works. I developed my troubleshooting capabilities within a short time due to the variety of failures I was allowed to come across spanning several server designs. I have been fortunate enough to gain some leadership experience in terms of supporting some coworkers through certain issues. While under my leadership work flow was maximized and productivity through my test area increased. However I was not always the lead so this was something notable that was left unnoticed. Management doesn't exactly give credit where credit is due. A person who solves an issue isn't exactly rewarded for doing so. Though I remain one of the best technicians, I am rarely kept in an area to exercise my skills. I am often asked to train the new kids they bring onto the line, audit the work of others, and pretty much work with any situation that arrives on the go. I am rarely challenged at work anymore so it isn't exactly an environment where you can face new obstacles on a whim.
I would say that the most enjoyable part of the job would have to definitely be the opportunity to learn new skills. Server Rack Build is an exciting area to learn about the components involved in networking a single rack of units. However it doesn't stop there. You have to understand the customer orders involving cables of different lengths. You often run into situations where you are picking up where the previous shift left off. So communication of any issue is a
  more... key factor within the work place. I had the most fun however with troubleshooting test failures during my time in the test area. Every detail matters. When replacing parts I was extremely diligent. I would not allow the I/O Boards to be damaged upon installation by my hands. I took care of each part as if assembling the order for myself. That is how I have minimized my fail rate as a assembler.

My least favorite part about the job would be that there is the annoying uncertainty of having a job at the end of the quarter. Recently with each quarter that has passed by you hear about layoffs. One obvious note is that often times the wrong people are let go. I am lucky enough that I am still there as are quite a few other good workers. The lack of job security is discouraging when it comes to putting in the effort to show that you deserve to be there. I believe that the company itself has yet to truly define what it wishes to become.

First contract full of opportunity. I learned so much in only 2 years time. Second contract, I honed my skills and became a very effective technician in test and a decent lead within my group. I was a go to guy for engineering. Third contract, I found myself restricted by those over me. I wasn't able to learn too much more because they kept me in test for a while. I studied the A+ Certification though I never managed to save enough to take the test. I found that with the knowledge I had surpassed majority of the leadership at that time. My fourth and current contract. I am far too restricted and unable to work with my full potential. As things continue to move in the current direction I am in need of something new and challenging. They refuse to allow me to continue getting better.
Pros
Great place to develop as a beginner
Cons
Limited opportunity to improve
Amazing culture and company!
Sales Information Coordinator III (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 24, 2014
Overall, HP is probably the best 'inbound' call-center job I've every had in the past 5 years. It was a transition from technical support to sales, although I have a background in both. The company was terrific, even though I worked for them as an ETW (employed temporary worker) through Manpower; my sub-contractor.
The training was excellent as was "new product" training prior to product launches, seasonal sales, and the "cross-training" for add-on items to up-sale (such as computer security, software programs, accessories, etc). In addition, they offered the opportunity to become Certified with Microsoft and Intel.
At least once a month, employees were able to meet with various suppliers, in both a classroom setting and on a one-to-one basis, to learn about their product's background and how the product or service would benefit the customer, listen to their pitches, ask questions, and experience their products first hand.
The supervising staff (Supervisors and Managers) were the best I've ever encountered. Everyone was extremely supportive and they were always there to answer any questions or offer advice on closing a sale. The "one-on-one's" for feed-back with your supervisor were always productive and not condescending; even if you have made a mistake, it was gently pointed out and you moved forward. (like when I said "Welcome to Apple Technical Support"...ooops!)
For incentives, in addition to "spiffs," the company offered daily, weekly, and monthly contests for cash and prizes.
The employees were never 'micro-managed;" you were given a certain amount of autoimmunity to
  more... make decisions based on your own judgement to close a sale.
As if employee moral wasn't already strong, in addition to excellent wages, spiffs, bonus and contests, the company and their various suppliers sponsored catered lunches about once a month from 4 star restaurants, "Premier" movie nights for employees and a guest (before a movie was open to the public) including food court vouchers, family outings to the Zoo and the company supported several non-profit organizations and activities.
Since I was an ETW (contract worker) I didn't receive the benefit package offered to HP Direct hire employees, though I've been told it is one of the best ones out there.
Unfortunately, there were few positions available for an ETW to transfer (or to be hired) as a 'blue badge' direct hire employee.
I was sad when my 'contract' ended and was required to leave. If I am ever given the opportunity to work for this company again, I would do it in a heart beat.
HP is the BEST inbound call (sales) center I've EVER worked for!
Pros
everything! excellent working environment, support, employee moral, wages
Cons
etw, few full-time direct hire positions available
worst place in the world to work at (please be warned)
Entry Level Tech Support Rep (Former Employee) –  Conway, ARAugust 23, 2014
I'm not even sure where to start so i will start from the beginning

Fact number one..when I was hired for technical support during training they advised us that it would be "a little" up-selling involved. That was a lie, in fact if you didn't get enough sells your were force to retrain to take advantage of "hone in" technique. And if you were one of the lucky people who sold a lot and got great numbers in the selling area then and only then would be considered for another job within the company. The moral of this is if u didn't sell enough u didn't get a promoted or advance in any way.

Fact number two....during the winter season... the "Head Honcho" advised us that if this was not america he would make us spend the night on cots in the call center as the overseas counter parts did. But this is america and they have laws against that. Just so we could be at work when and if there was snow or anything else preventing us from coming to work.

Fact number three.... during one particular "morning meeting" I was forced to sit a listen to the following as a inspirational/motivational speech

"paraphrasing the story which I listen to"

one morning a little girl saw some napkins in her mothers cabinet. the little girl asked her mom what the napkins where and the mother said that those napkins were for special occasions.....

(by this time I zone out cause i cant believe this male supervisor is talking about this, and i cant believe this is his idea of a inspirational/motivational speech)

"paraphrasing the end of the story"

the mother tells the girl they are going to have a party
  more... and begins setting the table for her guest. the little girl goes to get the special napkins her mother keeps in the bathroom and puts one on each plate setting. ( for those that don't get it the special napkins are feminine hygiene napkins)

My overall one year and two months with HP was wishing that I would have a fatal car accident on the way to work just so I would have an excuse of not going to work. The only thing I can say positive about HP as a company is that they paid well. And that the HR department would pay you before even getting hours submitted. Which brings me to

Fact number four... After leaving HP I received a letter informing me that they had actually paid me for time I didn't work and I needed to send them a check for the amount they over paid me.....

LMAO they are still waiting on a check from me
Pros
i am glad this call center is closed and they can longer trick people into working there
Cons
this company is a joke i love hp as a computer product but overall the company sucks bricks
Reputable company, however, some bad apples
Financial Analyst III - Technology Services USPS (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 23, 2012
My internship with HP was amazing. I learned so much and my manager was excellent. He knew how to lead and what it meant to be a true manager. After more than a year as an intern I was offered a position within the Public Sector of HP as a financial analyst (completely different organization and group than where I interned). This is where things took a 180 degree turn.

The interviews I had for the position led me to believe that there would be an enormous learning curve. I had just graduated with my MBA and this was emphasized frequently by me during my conversations with my future colleagues, supervisors and managers. Their response was always the same: "Don't worry, we will train you and make sure you understand every step of the way.. It will take at least 6 months for you to completely grasp and understand all the responsibilities and what the position is all about.." With that I felt confident and never thought for one moment that I would be thrown under the bus multiple times. How wrong I was.. I understood that having a government contract and customer is very demanding. I trained in the USMC so I know a thing or two about stress, time management and how to deal with uncertain situations. However, I was not expecting my colleagues and direct manager to be so difficult to the point that if a mistake could be avoided, my colleague would allow it to happen just to write me up about it later. My colleague who is supposed to be training me, left out tidbits of information so that when I missed it I would be held responsible for those mistakes. How can I effectively execute
  more... my responsibilities when my trainer is not giving me all the information? To get to the point, never have I experienced so much stress in so little time. The three months I held this position were the worst three months of my life, mainly because of the team and more specifically: my colleague and manager. It felt as though both were out to get me and dedicated to seeing me fail.

I have a lot of respect for the company and the culture as well as the people (who are some of the smartest most intelligent individuals I have ever had the privilege of working with) however, I just so happened to work in a group whose manager has no idea how to lead or manage. It's not surprising the group was unable to win the re-compete for their only contract! Ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe my days in this group/position.
Pros
compensation, intelligent colleagues, benefits, company culture
Cons
workload, stressful, managers that don't know how to manage/lead (not all but some), unrealistic demands (workload, deadlines, grasping responsibilities)
No respect for staff - made redundant without any explanation
1t line support (Former Employee) –  Cobalt Business Park, Newcastle-Upone-TyneSeptember 29, 2013
I worked for HP Enterprises for 4 years as Kelly Service contingency staff.

I was one of the most experienced, skilled and knowledgeable agents on the 1st line team and had been awarded 4 plaudits from customers for excellent service.

I felt not respected, not appreciated and that my skill and experienced meant nothing because I was easily replaceable by an unskilled person.

We were massively underpaid at 14.5k; far below the expected wage for doing our job and when questioning this we were constantly told our wage was "competitive" which simply was not true.

When the AWR came into effect we all expecting to receive a 2k pay rise to match the HP salaries of staff doing the exact same job at 16.5k, but instead the HP salaries were reduced to 14.5k to match the Kelly Service wages and because one member of staff accepted that wage when being converted, we did not receive the pay rise.

As part of my job, I was moved from a more skilled position (of 2 years) onto the telephones where my skill set and experience was not put to full use and I felt undervalued.

I and other individuals were moved from our skilled positions onto the phones, because our jobs were being moved to Scotland. The Scottish location then continued to do that job to a low standard, making constant mistakes and this was never questioned or the work returned to us in Newcastle.

I spent the next 2 years asking to be moved from the phones into a better position where I could put my skills to full use. I proved myself worthy of that time and time again but instead I watched lesser experienced agents being put
  more... into those positions.

In 2013 we were advised in a meeting that the relationship between Kelly Services and HP Enterprises was being “pulled into line” with the rest of the world.

Only a few weeks later I and six of the best agents on the 1st line team were all made redundant only 2 months before Christmas, without any explanation as to why we were chosen and HP refuses to provide one.

None of us had ever done anything wrong and were the most praised and experienced agents on the floor. To make it worse, as we walked out the building there were 10 NEW people coming in for interviews to do our job!

The conversation of staff from Kelly Services to HP contracts was also very low and rare and the way in which people were chosen simply did not work as I watched staff that had been there only a few months receive a HP contract over me several times.

Despite the actual job being a good, honest, respectable job, I simply have NO respect for HP as a company because they don’t value their staff.
Pros
good, honest job supporting the government
Cons
staff treat as expendable, regardless of time working there or skill
The company provides work/ life balance for its employees. A forty hour work week is given to everyone.
Lab admin/ lab tech support/ QA tester (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMarch 29, 2013
A typical day at work involves talking to lab members for their testing/hardware needs, coordinating hardware, units for shipping and receiving new units. It involves also random request from management for setting up PCs for a demo to showcase software and products. Helping with acquisitions of lab supplies, test units and sometimes creating POs for training. Tech support for lab members from upgrading operating system version, network connectivity, troubleshooting errors, driver problems, hardware and software issues, enterprise back up software issues and guide, operating system installation/upgrade help and guidance, domain account issues, VPN issues/installation, ordering productivity laptops.

I have learned a lot from this company since this is the first tech company I was employed. I learned different ways to assemble and disassemble all types of computers, from laptops, desktops and all-in-ones. I have hands on experience of user problems with their PC and have learned how to install operating systems using an automated process where we can install different localization or languages. To troubleshoot errors and issues in a Windows operating system environment. Learned different types of software, internal systems and how to use them to make your work efficient and manageable. Learned how to ship devices, PCs internationally and have dealt with foreign customs regulations.

As for management, they have been really trying hard to be more proactive to the needs of workers specially contractors and to have a fun and healthy lab working environment. The managers are really
  more... nice and are approachable. Make sure you do your job well or they will notice and it will get stressful since mostly they will call a meeting for it. They make sure you have a task/job to do, never a dull moment.

Co-workers are great, they all come from different cultures.

The hardest part of the job is when in a day everything falls to your shoulder and all these duties/responsibilities /task are all important.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when you can really focus on the task at hand and no one bothers you for something else. Since I am the guy who helps with PCs, devices, test units, general PC problems, facility issues etc having to focus on the job rarely happens.
Pros
free coffee, tea, hot chocolate packets.
Cons
healthcare, sick leave, dental insurance since i'm a contractor
Easy going, but a little chaotic and disorganized
Web Application Developer (Current Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 11, 2015
Management says they do agile, but it is mostly just a relaxed version of waterfall.

They are fine with you working on your own projects while at work as long as you make reasonable progress on your assigned tasks, but the inability to download any non-government approved software makes this less exciting than it sounds.

Probably the biggest issue is that only government-approved software can be used on the machines, meaning the technology used is....unique. Oracle Weblogic is used for everything as far as I can tell, and it will test your patience with its perm-gen memory leak, total lack of stability, and vaguely functional (at best) IDE integration. Oracle jDeveloper is another gem, being finicky with Maven support at best, or completely non-functional at worst.

The people there are for the most part very nice and capable at their particular jobs, however make sure you know what you are asking about during the interview. They say they do test driven design, agile, that they are moving towards Javascript applications, and more, but most of that is wishful thinking or "we use Jira, of course we are agile!"

Another major issue is that as they bring their products into more modern times, there are some serious hiccups due to not formally or double checking that certain required equipment, software, or permissions/access will be granted on time. In the several months I have worked at HP there have been multiple occasions where progress simply could not be made on our project due to lack of foresight/planning ahead.

However, the pay is competitive for a tech noob's first job,
  more... and the ability to play around with whatever technology is available to you while on their watch is definitely a plus. Also nice, they let you set your own hours - as long as you work 40 hours a week and are there for your team's daily stand-up, you can come in early or late enough to avoid traffic as you please.  less
Pros
flexible schedule, relaxed environment that encourages taking time to learn on your own
Cons
not the most modern technology, outdated views on new technology, poor planning
HP is all about profit, employees are not important anymore!
Distribution Operations (Former Employee) –  AmericasJanuary 18, 2013
• a typical day at work:
You can work from home because most of the times you are working by phone. Teams are all over the world. You have to be proactive and organized. After 2 or 3 hours attending meetings, solving problems and doing your daily calls you can enjoy of a good lunch and getting back to work in the afternoon attending more meetings and planning the rest of your activities with regions, countries or other organizations. You do not have to measure your lunch time but you have to delivery results.

• what you learned:
You have to work independently in the strategies and keeping your teams (up and down) informed all the time with useful information.

• Management:
Managers are the same everywhere, but particularly, I got two of them that make my life miserable, they want to appear as good persons having good managerial abilities but they were just manipulating you to get your best performance and sell it as were theirs.

The company has groups of managers that are protecting their own personal interest and is very difficult for you to enter in the power circles.

One manager wanted once to push me out of an organization inventing a lie about me, taking my conversations with other coworkers as official communication. He brought an HR manager to attend a meeting to lay me off; he was not frank and honest person and tried to involve me in thinks apparently wrong, so I said something to put him in evidence of their machinations. At the end of the story I get an agreement with the boss of my boss who saved not only the regional manager’s image but HP’s too.

• your co-workers:
  more...
Most of them were awesome people. I love the diversity, people professionalism and the flexibility everybody has to accomplish their goals.

• the hardest part of the job:
Working sometimes until late and some others during the weekends.

• the most enjoyable part of the job:
The learning process that each project has in itself. You have the opportunity to develop your career.
PM jobs are off-shoring and becoming more rote. Job environment not changing for the better
Project Manager III (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 6, 2015
I really liked my job and what I did, but over time it slowly become more rigid and rote with much time spent on procedures and administrative.

I began to feel like I was no longer treated as a professional and benefits were being taken away. I felt that we were no longer appreciated as we continually heard from leadership that the resource mix had to change to 75% offshore and they had too many project managers onshore and there was lots of lay-offs coming.

I telecommuted for 10+ years and led global teams to sucessfully compelete deliverables on time and in budget.Then we were told we all had to come into an office to better 'collaborate' with our peers and be part of the HP culture. My hours now got longer as I commuted daily to an office cube to talk on Lync with my global team. Since I had a global team, I often would have to meet with them after hours from my home office, so now my working hours increased. Not to mention the increased cost in car, clothing and food. I also had NO peers from my org to interact with. and now had lots of extra noise bleeding through on my client meetings from cube mates who were in their own meetings and a exuberant noisy sales team down the hall. I had no phone at my cube and the Lync connectivity wasn't always the best. I was one of the fortunate people though. I got to have a monitor and keyboard to use with my laptop. Many others were told to drive all the way into the office to work off of their dinky laptop screens and keyboards all day.
Pros
its a paycheck, good benefits
Cons
high chance of WFR, little appreciation or recognition, loss of work-life balance. I think leadership is missing opportunities to strengthen services
HP headquarters has no idea what goes on
Department Assistant (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYJune 20, 2012
Yes, the company in Frankfort is called HP (was EDS), which is a very respectable company that normally recruits well-educated, business-minded individuals in its operations, but in Frankfort, KY, the company has let its "leadership" recruit farmers, warehouse workers, et al., to do even technical work that should be done by at LEAST college-educated, somewhat intelligent workers. Personnel who represent the company are an embarrassment, and I wish HP actually knew what they have. They should never have a "liaison" or any other type of representative (i.e., for healthcare providers) of the company make presentations in front of state government and say things like "We done did this..." or "They wasn't..." How embarrassing to HP!

The work environment: do not expect to get any training that will help you understand what you need to do your job when you begin working there, or even get any decent training any other time. The woman doing training is only concerned about bringing glory to herself and not knowledge to others. Management: managers over technology are mostly good leaders and kind, productive people; managers in the service center area are harsh and uncaring, and are quite spiteful, especially towards more intelligent employees. It is clear that because of their lack of education, they are intimidated by those who are smarter than they and thus frequently take negative actions towards them.

In short, if you are not well-educated, perhaps bearing only a GED for your education, and you would like to represent a high-tech company, then HP in Frankfort is the place for
  more... you.  less
Pros
the fact that a job is still there, for now
Cons
cuts in salaries; uncaring, undereducated staff; not open to ideas; threat of job loss in multiple departments
A typical day at work
Iteraton Manager (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 17, 2015
Responsible for the effectiveness of HP’s Immersive Engineering Computing team and the delivery of an end to end solution for HP’s Sprout PC Device. Leading and managing project release cycles to design and develop new software products and tools for Mobile Workstations and PCs. Working closely with different teams to build the Release Calendar from different portfolios across Platform, Software Applications, White box and Black box testers, TCE&Q, EMEA, China, Brazil, Supply Chain, QA, Customer Support, designers, and Hardware.

Role and Responsibilities
• Successfully identified organizational and process weaknesses and implemented new processes and team communication programs which resulted in scheduled delivery and improved morale across functional groups (i.e. Change Management, Daily standup meetings, Wiki)
• Establishing stable plans of record for specific software development areas and tasks that include solution design, analysis, coding, testing, and integration
• Successfully rolled out 4 product releases on schedule
• Leading and launching Localization releases prior to product rollout (UK, France, Spain, Canada, Germany)
• Working with partners such as Microsoft and Intel to ensure software compatibility, integration, and issue resolutions in regards to firmware, hardware, and new feature enhancements such as 3D
• Collaborating with Software Application and Platform on a daily basis to ensure users stories are accepted, end of sprint demos are conducted to Senior Management, and QA and QC metrics are achieved based on weekly defect scrub
• Conducting daily standup
  more... meetings with QA team to manage capacity and resource management over multiple release cycles
• Developing and maintain resource plans, identifying resource gaps, and making suggestions to steering committee on a weekly basis
• Coordinating and partnering across all relevant engineering, program management, product management and marketing groups to ensure approved features are integrated, tested, and launched successfully
Is not enjoyable to work in this company.
Technical Solutions Consultant I (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GANovember 8, 2013
A typical work day is composed of engaging with a variety of well-known corporate customers such as AT&T, VMware, Sony, Verizon, etc., and aid them with common configurations and hardware troubleshooting assistance with anything related with to HP Blade Systems, to specially, HP Virtual Connect and other interconnect networking devices pluggable to HP Blade Systems.

I have learned how to implement and where in an environment these devices are better suited. Thank to my general knowledge in networks, I have been able to understand the functionality and implementation of the HP Blade System Virtual Connect Interconnect modules and other Ethernet and Fiber Channel technologies.

Management is disrespectful and un-knowledgeable of the technology and the challenges that engineers at all levels encounter each day. They do not understand the co-relation of training and technical knowledge that is needed in order to better and more efficiently support all customers.

Only some selected few co-workers are great to work with and easy going. Most of the personnel does not wish to learn, nor wish to perform their assigned duties correctly at all times.
The job is not hard at all, that’s if you are knowledgeable of the basic standards and technologies.

The only enjoyable part of this job is the opportunity to learn more about the HP products that are supported, if management allows it. Otherwise, an agent is forced to maintain a certain level of knowledge based on your level. Some engineers want to help all of our customers in a way that reflects a positive representation of HP, but the
  more... processes and management incharge do not support none of the agents in hopes to provide better quality services.  less
Pros
dental and healthcare benefits
Cons
no opportunities to advance in the company, disrespected by management, no opportunities to train and/or to advance, no daycare, expensive cafeteria, pay is not comparable with current market.
Team-oriented work environment
Technology Consultant (Current Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILJune 24, 2014
A typical day at work starts with checking my e-mails and making a to-do list so I know what is of highest priority and what needs to be completed immediately, in addition to, following up with any requests from the previous day. My role requires me to communicate with all levels of the organization, from management to our clients, to the quality assurance and data analysts teams. The data analysts provide us the guidelines set by the client, these guidelines tell me what needs to be coded and in what manner. Coding for a particular project typically takes about a month. Once coding is complete I perform testing on what I've created and write test documents, design documents, and deployment guides. My work then gets passed onto the quality assurance team who performs more thorough testing. I assist them in testing by answering whatever questions they may have, whether it be how to set up the testing environment or clarifications of the rules set by the data analysts. If they find a mistake, then it is my job to have it corrected immediately and send back to them as soon as possible. After they complete their part of testing my code then gets sent over to the client.

Working with HP has definitely been an amazing learning experience. I've learned a variety of new technologies ever since I joined. The management keeps their employees well informed of what is going on inside the company. My peers at the project I am on are very helpful and provide assistance when I need it. I would say the hardest part about the job is getting familiar with how the databases and schedules work,
  more... but that comes with time. The thing I enjoy most is learning new technologies and working with computers.  less
Pros
provide mentorship, flexible schedule, location
Poor place to work all around, could be so much better.
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 26, 2013
Let me start off by saying that HP could be so much better. It's not a hard job and I really hate to say its a bad place to work because when I first started it was a great job. Over the past couple years there has been pay cuts, layoffs, and poor corporate decisions. Every day I come in I see that someone else has either left or has disappeared. Yet those spots arent being replaced. Our area alone has gone from around 40 people to about 18-20. This is making it a very stressful day having to pick up the work of those that have "left". Sure its managable as with any job with increase of workload but when my day is done I just want to go home and sleep. "Promotions" arent really promotions at all and take on average 4 months to a year for it to go into effect. Most "promotions" don't come with a pay raise and I've seen people wait up to about 13 months for them to actually get into the position because they don't allow people to move to different jobs unless they find someone to replace you which when they arent hiring people makes it really hard. The pay here isnt bad considering its a cubicle job but after being here for about 2 years i've barely seen any increase in pay. Overall it has potential if corporate made the right decisions, but sadly they arent making this job depressing and work days draining. I do not recommend ever applying here and i myself have been actively seeking other employement.
Pros
coworkers are pretty nice
Cons
more work for less pay. no job security. draining work days. no oppurtunity for advancment
Loved My Clients, My Peers and My Immediate Managers
Program/Project Manager IV (Former Employee) –  Home BasedJuly 20, 2015
I joined HP to support a multi-year Network Outsourcing deal, first as a contractor, then a year later, worked for HP directly. When I joined HP, I took at 40% pay hit for the same work I'd been doing as a contractor, but as an employee I did receive benefits and paid vacation. I REALLY liked my HP direct Manager and my 2nd line Manager; had very little contact with those above that level. My peers were also seasoned professionals. Many had come from EDS and were verbal about how the company/their job experience had taken a dive after EDS was acquired by HP, but not having had the EDS experience, I was generally quite happy at HP. That said, I trained a LOT of overseas people to replace me, as HP tried to lower their resources costs (this was very expensive in the end!). My main complaint with HP was the feeling of being on a sinking ship, given the announcement of future job cuts in the US. Also, the CEO seemed to be unnecessarily vocal in the political sphere - I received monthly email asking me to support a conservative cause or donate to a PAC fund, yet as an employee, I had signed a required doc saying I would not use my company PC, time or efforts to support political activity... Anyway, it was a good gig for several years, until the contract was lost to a lower-cost provider.
Pros
Professional Environment with Established Processes That Generally Worked
Cons
Sinking Ship; Non-competitive Pay, No Cell Phone or Internet Reimbursement, though required for my job
It is a great working place for learning medical claims and keying at fast pace.
Quality Assurance Clerk/Key Data Entry (KDE) (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAJune 25, 2014
Great opportunities for advancement. Medical and Dental benefits available along with Retirement Plans. Fast pace industry with great knowledge of gaining medical forms, and privacy and policy agendas that had meeting at regular intervals.
Working with other employee is a learning experience, you always meet interesting people. It's a basic data entry information keying process, talking is not required and it is a day in day out job. What I basically do is go over operator errors and determine if the error are keyed correctly or keyed incorrectly. I would write down errors as they come in per operator and than keep a record of all operator errors. These errors are than reviewed with each operator at the end of each week for accuracy percentages and than again at the end of the month for monthly accuracy. I ran these reports along with my lead.
The job is not hard, I myself need to be alert and determine if the keying was done in error. If I do see an error that is repeatedly done incorrectly we can have supervisors coach them on errors. In any case it is my job to take down errors and report them, it may be difficult for employees to know what I do but its done with understanding and a way for all operator to know how they are keying.
This job was a great learning ability for me. I was trained in this position after keying claims. Every job is a trained as you go position, I would love an opportunity to work with any company who is willing to train on new ideas and work as a team.
Pros
our company have yearly get togethers in support of our hard work.
Cons
breaks are short, most of work are based on production skills and keying accuracies, inorder to get raises or bonuses.
The smarter I worked the better my advancement.
Total Tenure with HP was 11 years (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 14, 2015
I truly enjoyed my 11 year tenure with Compaq and later HP after the acquisition. The acquisition itself was a success, probably one of historic proportions. The quality of staff and management was unrivaled in my experience. After receiving my finance degree and working for Shell Services for 2 years I joined Compaq in a business planning role and was encouraged to take on new responsibility and was provided the tools to do so. People from all areas from engineering and product development through operations and sales were professional, driven, possessed a high degree of integrity. Management provided guidance and expected results. I was encouraged and hired to work in many areas of the business over time, take risks, be creative and productive, and even fail. It was hard and rewarding work and I miss it.

My last manager of about 5 years thought I had a bit more marketing experience than I had when I joined, but I was able to get up to speed quickly, contribute and at one point he let me know that I was his star performer. We worked well together and he was a hands-off manager providing high level direction.

From this experience and later ones I believe I'm uniquely qualified to add value and encourage others to pursue excellence if needed.

We were fiercely competitive at the time and the best were sought and hired. I would love to work there remotely, again, but am tied to my family residing in Abilene, Texas.
Pros
Breadth of experience and empowerment to be successful
Cons
Not in Abilene.
This would have to average to below average
Installation/Support Specialist, Customer Engineer (Former Employee) –  Madison,WI North Ill. and Central Wi ,work area.February 20, 2015
My comments are relevant for the year 2007
A typical work day ( no such thing ), required to do work to completion, no matter how many hours necessary. Technically were supposed to after 4 hrs escalate site and get additional assistance from response center and eventually be relieved by another engineer after 12 hrs.

I learned, that when you have insufficient coverage in the first place, that replacement after 12 hours does not usually come to fruition, you have to continue until replacement arrives, and keep in mind the other engineers are going through the same process. ( insufficient personnel ).

Management would say you are empowerred to escalate and get assistance. The thing is you have to have someone available to get that assistance, but if you are all putting out fires at the same time, how can that occur.

My co-workers were always going through the same challenges as myself, to get help when it is needed. but they were usually not available,so it was left to me to repair to completion, no matter how long it took.

The hardest part of the job was that too many hours and not enough people to take care of customer challenges.

The most enjoyable part of the job was, we were all in the same boat with the same challenges and concerns, yet we still helped each other out

But it required additional overtime hours to do so. At one time I worked a period of 72 hours straight, non stop.

I do not know what work conditions are like currently 2015, so can't comment on that.
Pros
state of the art training on current products
Cons
work / life balance does not exist
Fun place to work but limited growth opportunities
Electrical Product Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2014
A typical day at work - Arrive at work, read email and discuss issues for the day. Receive several calls from general labor personnel asking for assistance and assisting them. Read some more email about management asking for technical assistance and sleesly trying to cover up their mistakes by pretending its an engineering issue. Debate with them in person and over email eventually resulting in unnecessary escalation to managers with everyone in a bad mood.

From my engineering peers I learned a lot of technical knowledge including the use of Linux and Perl scripting. From my contact with business supervisors and management I learned how asinine and power hungry people can be.

Management was great from the engineering side but brutal from the business side.

My co-workers are awesome and am happy to say I work with the smartest people in my entire building.

The hardest part of my job was having to explain why something couldn't/shouldn't be done. If my ethics professor could see he would laugh at the request being made from the engineering teams in the pursuit of shipping orders. As the orders start becoming late, quality becomes non-existent. My advise to customers would be never place an order near the end of a fiscal quarter because you will end up having to place numerous service calls.

The most enjoyable part of my day was working with the design team as it was fun to come up with new ways of making things work.