HP Employee Reviews

Found 3,328 reviews matching the search
Productive and a learning experience
Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Metro CenterJune 14, 2016
My position here is very fast paced. There is no margin for error. I love it! I have learned so much while I was here and I have organized and taught a few things as well. The manager of this department is so fantastic. He gives me room to grow and do what I need to do. My co-workers and the hardest part of my job are together. This department has felt some growing pains. We had some problems who have since been removed and it made what was left of the department come together in a way it wouldn't have otherwise. I could not pick a more enjoyable part of my job. There are so many from the job task, to learning new things and the fast pace of it.
Pros
I enjoy what I do, I love the people I work for and with, I do not hate to come to work, I love the challenges every day.
Cons
Hiring process takes to long. Pay and benefits are very lacking.
Fun Workplace if surrounded by the right colleagues
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 29, 2016
Management needs to be more involved in HP standards and be able to provide important information to others. Working for one supervisor will leave you in the dark but all others are great supervisors. Payroll and HR needs to step it up 3 notches to satisfy workers. I have learned a lot though. Racism still exist heavy and favoritism is at a all time high. Hardest part of the job is receiving proper training for other task that you would like to indulge in such as iOS and etc. Some people get training without wanting it others have to beg
Pros
Cafe in walking distance and privacy restrooms
Cons
short breaks, agent s getting calls minutes before shift over while people who stay longer just sitting, training
A great place to grow
Lead Architect (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXJanuary 25, 2016
The only real problem working with HP was the constant fear felt by employees regarding their jobs being out-sourced to overseas regions. This facilitated the loss of a great deal of talent to competitors and reduced the effectiveness of the teams overall.

Other than that, the work was a bit above steady which, if you are like me, is a very good thing. Staying busy and challenged is something that HP did provide. The Engineering jobs do provide for a great deal of detail oriented duties for employees and the minimal supervision requires a great deal of maturity and focused dedication to meet deadlines.

The culture is one of cooperation between teams and team members, the ability to communicate clearly and concisely. Aside from the constant threat of layoffs, it was a great company to work for.
Pros
Challenging Work
Cons
Constant threat of layoffs
Great company and place to work
Server Thermal Mechanical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 14, 2016
From the start of the day it was constantly a learning experience. We were always given obstacles to overcome for customer requirements and issues and the tools and knowledge to complete them.

The management was always on board and pushing us harder to help us get to our maximum potential. Co-workers were always helping in scenarios that needed one or more people and we always learned from each other.

Overall my experience working for HPE was one of the best experiences in my life, I learned a lot from everyone there and from the tools and software provided to me.
HPE was a good place to work
HP Networks Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 17, 2016
Overall HP was great place to work. They offer good benefits. Employees have access to production environment's and the factories were being upgraded to Lean Manufacturing.
Pros
Flexiable work schedules and open door policies are in effect.
Cons
Many of the management job roles are being offshored.
Great place to work for a good work life balance
A result oriented IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 17, 2016
Great place to work for a good work life balance. Flexible hours to manage your work. Understanding and accommodating management.
Was a good place to work, then not so much
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJune 7, 2016
HP was a good place to work, with global teams working wherever they were most effective. I worked from a home office for over 7 years. Then management decided - against industry research and facts - that we would be more effective exclusively in the office. I was forced to fire team members that did not have nearby offices. then the company split, wand within 9 months, sold off half of the remaining piece.

My direct team, some of whom I have worked with for over a decade, are skilled, friendly, innovative people. We gather for dinners, volunteer aid and advice - both HP related and personal -, and are good friends.
Pros
Highly intelligent coworkers.
Cons
Mandatory office presence. Executives destroying the company. Low morale.
Great company trending toward good company
Sr Mgr, Partner Mgmt & Financial Controls (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 19, 2016
The company has a lot going for it, but the "old" mentality continues to drag it down. Too many people afraid of change, and upsetting the apple cart, for fear that they will be fired.
Pros
Good product
Cons
Terrible culture
Secure Position Always in Jeopardy
Thin Client Specialist - Northeast Region (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 3, 2016
Typical work day 10 hours plus included work at home prep and field work
Organizational, Technical, Presentation skills
Management is very inconsistent from one manager to next. No continuity of management styles and requirements
co-workers on a whole eager to assist and support when asked
hardest part is knowing what upper management is looking at. No reinforcement on job performance. Even though you get job reviews your career is not dependent on how poorly or how well you do
Most enjoyable is the people you meet
Pros
Great Product/Name acceptance
Cons
Management provides no direction
Was once a great company
IT Business Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 30, 2015
Wonderful place to work but zero job security. People who are working for HP will tell you that they don't buy property or anything of that nature because they don't know if they will have a job the next day. What you will learn is that though they have a somewhat good culture though they usually retire those who are affective for their staff due to a executive culture that believes in money over provided skills and services of employees. All retirement contracts carry a 1 year waiting for forced company retires. Be warned though you may enjoy working for them at the time you will not be with them forever and they are damaging to future career choices.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Zero Job Security, Executive Greed
Mixed bag
IT Developer (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 11, 2015
It's a mixed bag, all the good things about the company have a bad counter part. It is pretty obvious from the news that the senior executives don't really care about the employees or the long term of the company. However most mid-level managers are actually pretty good (compared to other companies that I have worked for).
The job that I was hired to do is interesting however most of my time is spent filling out forms and attending status meetings. It is a very bureaucratic company, i.e. there are ten different forms or slide decks to submit for everything. The pay and the benefits are pretty average.
It is such a large company that you are bound to find people that you can get a long with and are a pleasure to work with, but there are also people who aren't. I would say that there is no consistent culture, it is really determined by the local managers.
I would not say that I learn a whole lot there. You spend most of your time learning to navigate HP's internal bureaucracy rather than working on any particular skill or subject area. However the mid-level managers are supportive of you using your spare time on personal development. They do not spend much on training or travel, but if you pay for things yourself they let you take the time to do them.
Future in doubt
Business Process Analyst/Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 19, 2016
Used to be one of the best companies to work for, now there is too much overseas moving, and guessing on what managements next steps will be to cut costs - getting rid of top talent for cheaper labor. Management stays - workers go.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Job Security
Great place to work.
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 27, 2016
The management team provides a working environment and the tools to assist employees with performing their job responsibilities while encouraging them to take advantage of the available training that assist with the pursuit your career goals.
Good Place to Work but Needs Improvement
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  NCOctober 26, 2015
A relatively top-heavy company, but little innovation affects this Silicon Valley giant from becoming what its founders set out become. There has been high turnover at the top which makes change a constant, and company direction, while existent and evident, is not inspiring. The on-coming company split should allow the two companies to do what they do best and continue to be contenders in their different markets.
Pros
Great benefits, good culture of hard-working people
Cons
Difficult to advance; easy to get lost in a huge company
Productive, but no job security,.
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXJanuary 28, 2016
Everything was good, except for job security, frequent lay-offs. Other than those cons, it was a permanent temp job, and I have my own insurance now, so no problems there. The people at the company/management were great to work with.
Excellent Company to Work For
Financial Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJune 6, 2015
HP is a great company to work for. Management is very transparent and will help you make the most of your career. Career conversations happen often and managers are always available to talk about issues or for support. The company doesn't pay very well compared to other companies, but you can get more out of working there. The work/life balance is great. I have three kids and am often able to work from home if my kids are sick or the roads are bad. Working from home permanently isn't allowed anymore, but management is still flexible and understands your family commitments.
Pros
Work/life balance, benefits, management, culture
Cons
pay, system tools
Great projects and very nice people to work with
Product Support Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 1, 2016
Loved the location as well as work life balance. Employee evalutions are totally screwed up. Get measured on items that employees have no influence or control of.
Pros
HP way has been restored
Cons
Employee evalutions are totally screwed up, Get measured on items that employees have no influence or control of
Great Team & Productivity
Deskside Support (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 12, 2016
There is no typical work day, I work at the site's IT Walk Up Help desk that services over 1500 end users, but for the most part their issues are quickly resolved and at the end of each day we're successful at keeping our clients happy and satisfied.

Management is the best, my boss is one of the best I've worked for and I have worked for some unapproachable individuals.

My co-workers couldn't be any better and we are of all different nationalities and cultures but only see one goal equally for succeeding in our work and in our family lives.

Hardest part of the job is getting here safely! Houston drivers can be complete idiots!

To conclude this I enjoy all parts of my job, there is always something different to go with the routine stuff.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
No benefits and increibly extreme low wages
Where innovation begins but never goes anywhere
DevOps Engineer (Current Employee) –  TXFebruary 2, 2016
I have worked for HP in different roles for over 5 years and I have seen time and time again "innovative" ideas get washed out and replaced with the same old song and dance. HP has a ton of potential but simply is stuck in old ways. I believe one day they will regain their brand name but it may be rock bottom before they make real changes.
Pros
excellent 401k
Cons
no other real benefits that compete with companies in their industry of their size
Horrible management and play the blame game
Graphics Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2016
"Contract side of things"

No communication what so ever. Everything is done at the last minute. Everyone plays the blame game and won't take responsibility for themselves. Management is a joke. Always asking to get a new project done within an impossible time frame. No promotions given no matter how long you work there and how hard you work. What I learned after working here is how not to properly manage people and have good time management. The most enjoyable part of the job was leaving it.