HSBC Employee Reviews

Found 1,304 reviews matching the search
Great co workers, Horrible Sr Management
SVP (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 13, 2016
The Area Managers and the likes were great. The SR management is an on-going circus, and anyone who works here WILL tell you.
Every 2 years or so, a bunch of new guys will come in and shake the boat. If job security and consistency is important to you, this is not the place.
Your job is NOT safe. The firm has a hard on for AML/KYC due to DPA and the wells fargo debacle. This is a firm you have to be VERY careful selling. If you sold a product (credit card, mortgage, investment/insurance) and if the client does NOT remember, your job will on the line and be labeled as a "sales quality issue". The systems are horrific, you will spend atleast a 1/4th of your re-starting your computers, trying to call help line, trying to fax, trying to print trying and trying trying. It is not productive.

The compensation was fair, the benefits are starting to stink real bad.

Currently we have a new chief in town, and he's shaking up the firm once again and all of our previous leaders are being replaced. This will happen again in 2 years.
HSBC provides an opportunity to constantly learn and hone your skills
Credit Underwriter & Portfolio Manager, VP (Current Employee) –  Westchester, NYOctober 25, 2016
HSBC is a multinational company that evolves with the times and as such, provides opportunities to improve processes and procedures. This creates an environment that motivates its team members to constantly learn, hone existing skills and develop new ones. One way this is achieved is via HSBC Business School where online learning assignments are offered as well as opportunities to register for an instructor led class. The work life balance at HSBC is great, as the Company encourages team members to work from home, if needed. The main focus is getting the job done right and timely. Once that is achieved, management is satisfied.
Not what I Expected...
Branch Relationship Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2016
HSBC attempts to disguise themselves as a relationship oriented bank meanwhile they are anything but. They implore to make nearly impossible sales numbers in order to achieve a paltry commission based quarterly bonus and placate you with a laughable base salary. The products and systems they have fall way short of the competition with extra emphasis on the way register their customers for online banking. As an RM, the stress is unreal. Be prepared to get blamed for sales short falls and handling massive amounts of customer complaints with little to no support from management. Forget about wanting to stay a little late to catch up on paper work or prospect calls. Overtime is practically banned at HSBC.
Pros
Somewhat Friendly Banking Hours
Cons
Sales pressure, antiquated systems, non-compettive products
Productive and fun workplace
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 5, 2016
Great management. Great work/life balance. Cafe, coffee shop and Foosball/air hockey tables in building. Some management is old school but they are working towards a new culture. My last manager sincerely cared about my career and worked with me closely.
Job that pays the bills
Senior Operation Specialist OFAC Sanctions (Current Employee) –  Depew, NYAugust 5, 2016
Working for HSBC I have developed great customer, co worker and management relations. I am trying to advance my career and looking for a better opportunity to do so outside of what HSBC can offer. There has been many layoffs throughout the last year and an increased presence in offshoring duties.
Pros
health coverage, overtime, relationships gained
Cons
mediocre salary, advancement opportunites
Great pay!
Collections Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 2, 2016
I enjoyed coming into work knowing a lot of people and knowing I was getting on the phones to start helping individuals one by one. The management was professional and there was always a team lead around to help with any questions or situations. The hardest part of the job was to settle irate customers down when calling them to ask for past due payments. The enjoyable part was when I succeeded in collecting payments and satisfying customers. The pay and incentives were wonderful so I had a lot more motivation as well as the advancement for this company.
Pros
Great pay, customer service
Cons
NA
Fun place to work
Workout Specialist FAP (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst ILAugust 4, 2016
The people in general are great to work with and always willing to train or cross train if needed. The pay was standard the benefits were great. The management always try to keep you up-to-date on changes within the company good or bad. Always something fun going on with either fun department meetings. picnics, outings and never cost us anything. The managers could use a little extra training on sensitivity but other than that they all try to understand and open to any family event or if you have to call-in or leave early due to any family/personal matters. I got laid off but I would go back there in a minute if anything became available.
Pros
incentives
Cons
HQ always doing wrong
Loved it!
Accounting Coordinator, Settlement Control (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CASeptember 4, 2016
I processed reports and balancing. I really enjoyed my team and management. Everyone looked out for each other to make sure the work got done. Our management really appreciated us and gave us great benefits. The hardest part about the job was getting laid off and closing our location. The most enjoyable part was that I knew what was expected of me and a realistic time frame to get the work done in. The company really appreciated it's employees and showed it, until we were bought out.
Pros
Benefits/Work home balance
Cons
Closure of location
Foreclosure Support Clerk
Foreclosure Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJune 15, 2016
I enjoyed working for HSBC ( formerly Household Finance). The work experience at this company was the most experience I have ever acquired on one job. I worked in several different departments both as a Collections Specialist and a Foreclosure Clerk. I worked for many Line managers and several department managers. The company offers a great compensation package. This was my dream job. I hope to work and retire from another company similar to this one. Other than great benefits, the company offered Childcare once upon a time, Fitness Center, Tuition Reimbursement and engaged in many charitable fundraisers and activities. I enjoyed working in each department and in a diverse environment.
Pros
Training offsite meetings, lunches, picnics and bowling
Cons
Unfriendly co-workers, and 1 difficult manager
Poor Management team
financial advisor / relatioship mananger (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 30, 2016
This Bank has great potential with high quality client base however the management is very inexperience and bullies his employees in a very disturbing way. The culture is not a positive one were everybody is afraid. Employees are blamed for what happened in the pass with the ALM issues while the management has not taken responsibility. Its a shame as the Brand name is excellent however the culture continues to blemished its reputation.

Want to know more about HSBC?

Ask a question
HSBC Experience
Manager Operations, (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLNovember 15, 2016
With HSBC coming to an end. The culture and peoples mentality is wearing thin. People are not as open to learn and cross train due to the pay freeze. Money is not there when you are promoted.
However when I first came to HSBC this company showed signs of life. Looked out for there members to an extent. We just don't see that anymore.
Pros
401K options has allowed me to help save for my families future
Cons
Salary Cap
High Energy and tight schedules
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJuly 11, 2016
Very Good Company to work for until the market crashed in 2008. Loved my co-workers, managers and all staff involved. I learned a great deal about managing a group of people as a sit in manager at times. Production was key as well as organization and follow up. It could sometimes require 6 days of work but at end of month it was well worth it. I really enjoyed the experience and people that I got to know (co-workers,clients) and wouldn't trade it for anything.
Pros
Location, Management, Benefits, Salary, Experience, Knowledge
Cons
Transferring, Distance traveled
Challenging and many benefits for employees
Premier Relationship Officer (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FloridaMarch 18, 2016
Culture is very important at HSBC. Senior leadership does everything they can to help employees. Offices are in an open floor plan. Management has very high expectations of employees and support growth. Company and all departments promote teamwork. The hardest part of the job were the constant ongoing changes within systems and procedures, which made providing the best service to customers very difficult. It has also created too much tension within employees. The most enjoyable part of the job were constant team work and support by the employees along with management.
Pros
Great benefits. Opportunity for growth
Cons
Too much tension and changes, which causes poor customer service and tension within employees
Established company at a crossroads in the U.S. market
Manager - Regulatory Reporting (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 10, 2016
I have worked for HSBC for the past few years, and am fortunate enough to have an awesome manager and a job that is both fulfilling and interesting to me. As a newer employee what initially drew me to the company was the worldwide brand recognition and opportunity to learn new skills and meet new people. What I have found here over my tenure is that people locally are extremely knowledgeable and eager to move the business forward, but are bound by decisions made by executives in London. Before you make a decision to work here my best piece of advice would be to think about how important it is to you that the company you work for makes methodical business decisions and has a clear path for growth because this is something I have not seen here.
Average working environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 19, 2016
HSBC culture is not bad, however there were already 6 of our teammates left within the first six month I joined the company. Maybe there is something wrong with the management but so far I'm satisfied with the teammates Im working with and they been very supportive.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
most of the positions are short of hands. Your workload is about 1.5 person
Competitive challenging very professional .
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2016
Strong business culture from a global leader. Travel, conference calls, client relationships and team building. Able to move into management through hard work and team spirit. Achievable goals and competive pay scale.
Pros
Benefits, business atmosphere
Cons
Great work-life balance and benefits, but bleak future
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 24, 2016
Work can be very demanding at times, but work-life balance has always been a priority. Benefits are also very competitive (401k, vacation, ect). However, over the last few years due to the change in the industry, a shift in employment has occurred. Many possitions have been moved outside of the US and into other territories, causing a large number of employees to be displaced.
Also due to the change in regulatory standards in banking, costs have gone up while salary increases and bonuses have mostly staled out.
Very friendly environment
Customer Experience Associate (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYJuly 18, 2016
HSBC is a great business to work with. The culture is perfect for women especially as it helps us balance work and home. Workplace was a second home and colleagues were like a family. Getting to interact with people on a day to day basis makes it more interesting. It is awesome to know your customers by their name when they walk in the door.
Pros
Benefits, work schedule
Its a job. They work you.
AML/KYC Quality Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DESeptember 6, 2016
If you go out to smoke you chances of advancement increase dramatically. They micromanage the contractors. One hand doesnt know what the other hand does. So if the system is down (which is something a employee has no control over) expect a email asking why your production was off from upper management where they should already know.
Production, Liquidation, and Quality Driven
Manager / Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brandon, FLNovember 3, 2016
In the 7 plus years at HSBc I have learned the skills neccesary to Lead, create change, and effectively create the most productive teams on the floor. A typical day involves, schedule management, risk and control reviews, daily production, skill, liquidation, and quality training. As part of management I have been able to work in 3 different departments and requested to turn around the teams in each departement. The hardest part of my job is being able to leave work at work and not continue to think of new solutions and methods to driving perfomance. The most enjoyable part of my day is being able to reflect on my peers and emplyees success and the happinnes it brings to their families as they succeed.