Habitat For Humanity Employee Reviews in United States

hard work low pay
Porter (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 20, 2016
7.25 to 7.61 is not enough to unload trucks moving door sinks windows matress etc they have you workin like you get paid the world i quit because i was being belittled by management by complaing and laughing at me in my face about raises or a differnt postion i would never get workin there eveyday its the same slave routine with attitude from lazy store mangers that dont do anything while you assit customers with heavy items out the store and intake in the back i work for 2 yrs almost 3 but i reached my breaking point in 2015 n walked out
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Low pay for hard work
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJuly 23, 2015
I loved volunteering with Habitat. The work/life balance was basically a non-issue since I was able to volunteer for times that fit into that balance. It's hard to talk about compensation when volunteering because it is non-financial. I gave my time to help a family in need and that is enough compensation in itself. There will always be a need for volunteers but job security/advancement are also a non-issue. When you volunteer you are secure, but you are giving your time and whatever knowledge you possess helps you achieve more in that time. When it comes to management, every carpenter that I have worked with for Habitat has been great. They all seemed exceptionally skilled at identifying the difficulty of the work to be done and assigning the right volunteer to the job. Volunteer culture is probably the best work environment that I can think of. Everyone is there to get work done and sometimes we would have fun while doing it.
Pros
Volunteer Service, Great Work Environment, Great Leadership
Cons
Labor Intensive
I was a volunteer. The other volunteers and employees were very helpful and friendly.
Lead Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSDecember 28, 2015
I really liked the fact that every the job was a little different. It was very satisfying volunteering for a non profit organization.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no health benefits
Inconsistent workplace practices and policies
development officer (Current Employee) –  atlantaOctober 17, 2015
Good experience for an entry level front line fundraiser. I would only recommend this organization for young professionals starting out in frontline fundraising. Not an organization for seasoning experience fundraisers.
Pros
worldwide brand
Cons
workplace inequity and lack of consistency
fun place
Donations Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 9, 2015
It always feels good to help those less fortunate than you are. Not only are you helping someone find furniture but your helping someone get rid of their old furniture, one man's trash is another man's treasure.
benefits
Cons
pay-rate
Great place to work!
Communications Coordinator/ Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXOctober 12, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no overtime
Very Productive and good workplace
Backroom Worker (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAOctober 5, 2015
Very good team of people helping other that lost their homes and giving back to the community is always a great thing so I say its a good thing to have a habitat for humanity because its really a blessing to all.
Pros
Benefits less fortunate individuals
Cons
there's no cons
Productive, always something new to learn.
Apprentice for construction (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 8, 2015
Contractors gather workers for a meeting to discuss the plans for the day before hand and come to a mutual agreement. Learned diverse things involving the ethics of construction. Concrete, Drywall, Electrical, Power Tools, Identifying Safety Hazards, How to work with a group of people, etc. Co-workers respected when you're on the clock or doing a job. Weather conditions made the hardest part of the job. Most enjoyable part of the job was constantly being productive.
Pros
Paid lunch, Smoke breaks, over-time, benefits
Cons
two days of work permitted, unreliable schedule
The job site
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Statesville, NCOctober 21, 2015
Habitat is a great organization that had great benefits of meeting amazing people throughout the job and knowing your helping people out!
Pros
People you meet, time off
Cons
They close at 5
Was very enriching experience
Finance/HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 28, 2015
Very intense, long hours. The work culture was very diversified but laid back. My workers were very supportive and always willing to assist in projects when the need was urgent.

I learned about time management and interacting with associates that reported to me. The best part of working at Habitat was the relationships forged with the homeowners and joy of seeing them accomplished their dreams of home ownership.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of support from the Board Members
Pros
Free lunches, medical and retirement benefits
Cons
No job advancements nor additional training
Could be a fun place to work depending on if there was a ride by from higher management.
Sales Associate/ Intern Manager (Former Employee) –  Zephyrhills, FLJanuary 12, 2016
I never hated going into work. It wasn't the work that was stressful it was the time frame you had to get everything done in. There was never enough time for the management work to get done because the manager was having to be a cashier for a couple of as each day as well. And if the systems went down on anything you had to wait for them to get up & running to get the work done. Or had to start over which would take more time out of your day which gave you no home life. Circle Is not that bad but could be more family orientated
Pros
Good pay good insurance
Cons
VERY Stressful
A very productive work place with fun people to be around.
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILDecember 27, 2015
A typical work day for Habitat for Humanity would consist of, me and other workers unloading, and loading household items, for either delivery, or renovation to put on the sales floor. What i learned was to communicate with my co-workers to get a couch that wouldn't fit into a car, to fit in the car. The management was pretty good. The managers had it under control, and organized pretty much all day everyday. My co-workers were extremely easy to talk to, and to get along with. The hardest part of the job would have to probably be, lifting a 100 pound item by your self that you couldn't get a good grip on it. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a bunch of nice people, and helping people restore their furniture.
loved the job didn't like some of things that happen there
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDDecember 20, 2015
I love to work hard and I want everyone to work hard but the manager didn't work very hard and caused a lot of problems and would push it off on her workers
Pros
loved the people
Cons
the management
Engaging & Hands-On Construction Site, working with volunteers
Construction & Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 9, 2016
New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity is dedicated to the mission of rebuilding New Orleans, and I am honored to have worked alongside such great men and women.

I led teams of volunteers thru all building cycles of a single-floor dwelling. Participated and led a team for a "blitz build" for "Build A Thon", where all NOAHH staff worked 11 days on to build 10 houses in 10 days, with the direct help of over 500 HFH staffers (2 teams, worked for 5 days each).
Pros
Community, learn comprehensive construction process, transferable skills
Cons
Low pay (Americorps based program)
Good experience with frustrated costumers
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 15, 2016
The idea of selling one's belongings that they no longer want is a work of genius. The way revenue is generated and spent is done expertly. I strongly approve the work being done by this company. I feel as though my interactions with people improved as well. Costumers would often come in trying to bargain as hard as they could. I feel this grew my skills in dealing with costumers that were not receiving the deals they imagined, but come to an acceptable compromise.
Pros
Thirty minute lunch break
Cons
Heavy lifting
It was a fun place to learn many things
volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INApril 6, 2016
I learned everything from cement to dry wall. When I started working with Habitat I knew nothing of construction. My school partnered with them so we could learn and become certified in many trades. I'm happy that I got this opportunity. My bosses are wonderful to work with and they have taught me more than just skills of the trade and we had fun doing it. The only bad thing I can think of is working in with the elements but if you dressed properly it wasn't bad over all.
Pros
learning skills of different trades
Wonderful mission compromised by dysfunctionality.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 10, 2016
Wonderful work happening here. It could be so much better if senior management was better at communicating and didn't waffle on so many issues. Not a whole lot of listening going on. If you're committed to the mission, you might be able to look past the short comings and find your place here.
Hard work for good people, bad managers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chalfont, PAApril 2, 2016
the majority of the job was moving large furniture around the building. customers are usually good people and most of the employees are too. Hope any of you dont get such godawful managers though.
Pros
knowing you are helping the community, simple
Cons
laborus, unfriendly management
Fun Workspace
Habitat for Humanity Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXJanuary 27, 2016
It was really fun to work here.My co-workers were awesome.The management was amazing and really nice. I learned about leadership skills and how to react with others and customers. The hardest part was trying to figure out what to do when there was nobody coming in the store. The most enjoyable thing I liked was when I went on break I got ice cream and cookies.
I Loved the people,I Loved the work and answering the phones
Receptionist Intern (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJanuary 25, 2016
I enjoyed working with everyone at Habitat For Humanity and doing the work it was a wonderful learning from all of them . Habitat for Humanity is a great and warm place to work and learn.I Loved answering phones, collecting mail and doing other office skills. As a intern I learned excel and other things that will help me to go forward into the workforce. Thank you Habitat For Humanity for a great place for me to be and the love you shared with me and others.
Pros
Hardworking people who try to help others
Cons
They were not hiring

4.4