Habitat For Humanity Employee Reviews in United States

hard work low pay
Porter (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 20, 2016
7.25 to 7.61 is not enough to unload trucks moving door sinks windows matress etc they have you workin like you get paid the world i quit because i was being belittled by management by complaing and laughing at me in my face about raises or a differnt postion i would never get workin there eveyday its the same slave routine with attitude from lazy store mangers that dont do anything while you assit customers with heavy items out the store and intake in the back i work for 2 yrs almost 3 but i reached my breaking point in 2015 n walked out
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Low pay for hard work
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJuly 23, 2015
I loved volunteering with Habitat. The work/life balance was basically a non-issue since I was able to volunteer for times that fit into that balance. It's hard to talk about compensation when volunteering because it is non-financial. I gave my time to help a family in need and that is enough compensation in itself. There will always be a need for volunteers but job security/advancement are also a non-issue. When you volunteer you are secure, but you are giving your time and whatever knowledge you possess helps you achieve more in that time. When it comes to management, every carpenter that I have worked with for Habitat has been great. They all seemed exceptionally skilled at identifying the difficulty of the work to be done and assigning the right volunteer to the job. Volunteer culture is probably the best work environment that I can think of. Everyone is there to get work done and sometimes we would have fun while doing it.
Pros
Volunteer Service, Great Work Environment, Great Leadership
Cons
Labor Intensive
Could be a fun place to work depending on if there was a ride by from higher management.
Sales Associate/ Intern Manager (Former Employee) –  Zephyrhills, FLJanuary 12, 2016
I never hated going into work. It wasn't the work that was stressful it was the time frame you had to get everything done in. There was never enough time for the management work to get done because the manager was having to be a cashier for a couple of as each day as well. And if the systems went down on anything you had to wait for them to get up & running to get the work done. Or had to start over which would take more time out of your day which gave you no home life. Circle Is not that bad but could be more family orientated
Pros
Good pay good insurance
Cons
VERY Stressful
A very productive work place with fun people to be around.
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILDecember 27, 2015
A typical work day for Habitat for Humanity would consist of, me and other workers unloading, and loading household items, for either delivery, or renovation to put on the sales floor. What i learned was to communicate with my co-workers to get a couch that wouldn't fit into a car, to fit in the car. The management was pretty good. The managers had it under control, and organized pretty much all day everyday. My co-workers were extremely easy to talk to, and to get along with. The hardest part of the job would have to probably be, lifting a 100 pound item by your self that you couldn't get a good grip on it. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a bunch of nice people, and helping people restore their furniture.
Productive group with a good cause that works towards goals
Vice president (Former Employee) –  Worcester Academy, Worcester, MAJune 8, 2016
When I joined Habitat for Humanity I did not know exactly what I was doing. However, I learned skills such as working as part of a team and a larger cause that would benefit communities rather than individuals. I learned how to be assertive, and how to problem solve. It was quite social, and the people were genuine and kind. There were big projects such as building houses, but also small projects such as building community gardens, landscaping, and fundraisers. Working on job sites was the best part of the job because of the visible progression of things and because of the group effort. Surprisingly, the only hard parts of the job were organizing groups of volunteers for the site jobs and sometimes the physical labor. Otherwise, Habitat for Humanity was an enjoyable job.
Pros
Helping communities, Good people, Learn new skills (construction, finance)
Cons
More of a volunteer job
loved the job didn't like some of things that happen there
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brookings, SDDecember 20, 2015
I love to work hard and I want everyone to work hard but the manager didn't work very hard and caused a lot of problems and would push it off on her workers
Pros
loved the people
Cons
the management
Great place to work!
Communications Coordinator/ Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXOctober 12, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no overtime
Hard work for good people, bad managers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chalfont, PAApril 2, 2016
the majority of the job was moving large furniture around the building. customers are usually good people and most of the employees are too. Hope any of you dont get such godawful managers though.
Pros
knowing you are helping the community, simple
Cons
laborus, unfriendly management
Was very enriching experience
Finance/HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 28, 2015
Very intense, long hours. The work culture was very diversified but laid back. My workers were very supportive and always willing to assist in projects when the need was urgent.

I learned about time management and interacting with associates that reported to me. The best part of working at Habitat was the relationships forged with the homeowners and joy of seeing them accomplished their dreams of home ownership.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of support from the Board Members
Pros
Free lunches, medical and retirement benefits
Cons
No job advancements nor additional training
Wonderful mission compromised by dysfunctionality.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 10, 2016
Wonderful work happening here. It could be so much better if senior management was better at communicating and didn't waffle on so many issues. Not a whole lot of listening going on. If you're committed to the mission, you might be able to look past the short comings and find your place here.
Habitat for Humanity
Executive Secretary/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrodsburg, KYJune 21, 2016
Working for the Habitat for Humanity organization was a challenge that I enjoyed immensely. The group of administrators that ran our chapter worked well together to create new ideas,and plans. We spent months developing from the ground up, a complete neighborhood of homes for a group of low income families. Starting with obtaining the land from the city, to the selection process of the families, then the 'build' of each home with all the families working together. It was an honor to be a part of this organization.
Highschool EFE program
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIApril 6, 2016
I participated in a construction management education for employment class when I was in high school it was a good experience and I would recommend people interested in construction management or construction to participate.
Fun Workspace
Habitat for Humanity Volunteer (Former Employee) –  New Braunfels, TXJanuary 27, 2016
It was really fun to work here.My co-workers were awesome.The management was amazing and really nice. I learned about leadership skills and how to react with others and customers. The hardest part was trying to figure out what to do when there was nobody coming in the store. The most enjoyable thing I liked was when I went on break I got ice cream and cookies.
Wonderful company, that I believe in.
Sorter/Receiving (Former Employee) –  Montrose, COJuly 4, 2016
Receiving donations, sorting them, cleaning them, pricing them, and then putting them out for sale. I learned that some people are very wasteful, but that helps those who are in need. Not so fond of the management. Some of my co-workers were awesome, hard working, and caring people. Not having what someone in need of really needs. Smiles on the faces of the customers, especially when they find what they need or a really good deal.
Pros
Coming across some really good deals.
Cons
Not full time work.
Inconsistent workplace practices and policies
development officer (Current Employee) –  atlantaOctober 17, 2015
Good experience for an entry level front line fundraiser. I would only recommend this organization for young professionals starting out in frontline fundraising. Not an organization for seasoning experience fundraisers.
Pros
worldwide brand
Cons
workplace inequity and lack of consistency
Good experience with frustrated costumers
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 15, 2016
The idea of selling one's belongings that they no longer want is a work of genius. The way revenue is generated and spent is done expertly. I strongly approve the work being done by this company. I feel as though my interactions with people improved as well. Costumers would often come in trying to bargain as hard as they could. I feel this grew my skills in dealing with costumers that were not receiving the deals they imagined, but come to an acceptable compromise.
Pros
Thirty minute lunch break
Cons
Heavy lifting
It was a fun place to learn many things
volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INApril 6, 2016
I learned everything from cement to dry wall. When I started working with Habitat I knew nothing of construction. My school partnered with them so we could learn and become certified in many trades. I'm happy that I got this opportunity. My bosses are wonderful to work with and they have taught me more than just skills of the trade and we had fun doing it. The only bad thing I can think of is working in with the elements but if you dressed properly it wasn't bad over all.
Pros
learning skills of different trades
A fast paced environment
clerk (Former Employee) –  Troy, OHFebruary 16, 2016
A typical work day consisted of running the register, customer service, loading and unloading donations and cleaning donated items to be placed on the floor for sale.
Pros
Friendly management and volunteers
Cons
Sometimes you end up running the store alone
Blessing and humble.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, TXMay 14, 2016
Going into this volunteer group I had no idea what I was getting in to! But the lead builders took the time to talk and educate every step that took place in building the house we built, every Saturday was a blessing and humble day because I was able to help build a home from the ground up and help a family get back on their feet. There really isn't quite better then being able to give your time to someone who deserves it.
Pros
Being able to help others
Cons
None!
working at habitat
Asst. Manager of Operations (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 26, 2016
this job most definitely pushes one to the limits of customer service. in all areas of the field of management i love this job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Habitat For Humanity. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4