Habitat For Humanity Employee Reviews in United States

hard work low pay
Porter (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 20, 2016
7.25 to 7.61 is not enough to unload trucks moving door sinks windows matress etc they have you workin like you get paid the world i quit because i was being belittled by management by complaing and laughing at me in my face about raises or a differnt postion i would never get workin there eveyday its the same slave routine with attitude from lazy store mangers that dont do anything while you assit customers with heavy items out the store and intake in the back i work for 2 yrs almost 3 but i reached my breaking point in 2015 n walked out
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Low pay for hard work
I was a volunteer. The other volunteers and employees were very helpful and friendly.
Lead Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSDecember 28, 2015
I really liked the fact that every the job was a little different. It was very satisfying volunteering for a non profit organization.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no health benefits
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJuly 23, 2015
I loved volunteering with Habitat. The work/life balance was basically a non-issue since I was able to volunteer for times that fit into that balance. It's hard to talk about compensation when volunteering because it is non-financial. I gave my time to help a family in need and that is enough compensation in itself. There will always be a need for volunteers but job security/advancement are also a non-issue. When you volunteer you are secure, but you are giving your time and whatever knowledge you possess helps you achieve more in that time. When it comes to management, every carpenter that I have worked with for Habitat has been great. They all seemed exceptionally skilled at identifying the difficulty of the work to be done and assigning the right volunteer to the job. Volunteer culture is probably the best work environment that I can think of. Everyone is there to get work done and sometimes we would have fun while doing it.
Pros
Volunteer Service, Great Work Environment, Great Leadership
Cons
Labor Intensive
Inconsistent workplace practices and policies
development officer (Current Employee) –  atlantaOctober 17, 2015
Good experience for an entry level front line fundraiser. I would only recommend this organization for young professionals starting out in frontline fundraising. Not an organization for seasoning experience fundraisers.
Pros
worldwide brand
Cons
workplace inequity and lack of consistency
fun place
Donations Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 9, 2015
It always feels good to help those less fortunate than you are. Not only are you helping someone find furniture but your helping someone get rid of their old furniture, one man's trash is another man's treasure.
benefits
Cons
pay-rate
Great place to work!
Communications Coordinator/ Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXOctober 12, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no overtime
Productive group with a good cause that works towards goals
Vice president (Former Employee) –  Worcester Academy, Worcester, MAJune 8, 2016
When I joined Habitat for Humanity I did not know exactly what I was doing. However, I learned skills such as working as part of a team and a larger cause that would benefit communities rather than individuals. I learned how to be assertive, and how to problem solve. It was quite social, and the people were genuine and kind. There were big projects such as building houses, but also small projects such as building community gardens, landscaping, and fundraisers. Working on job sites was the best part of the job because of the visible progression of things and because of the group effort. Surprisingly, the only hard parts of the job were organizing groups of volunteers for the site jobs and sometimes the physical labor. Otherwise, Habitat for Humanity was an enjoyable job.
Pros
Helping communities, Good people, Learn new skills (construction, finance)
Cons
More of a volunteer job
Very Productive and good workplace
Backroom Worker (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAOctober 5, 2015
Very good team of people helping other that lost their homes and giving back to the community is always a great thing so I say its a good thing to have a habitat for humanity because its really a blessing to all.
Pros
Benefits less fortunate individuals
Cons
there's no cons
Productive, always something new to learn.
Apprentice for construction (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 8, 2015
Contractors gather workers for a meeting to discuss the plans for the day before hand and come to a mutual agreement. Learned diverse things involving the ethics of construction. Concrete, Drywall, Electrical, Power Tools, Identifying Safety Hazards, How to work with a group of people, etc. Co-workers respected when you're on the clock or doing a job. Weather conditions made the hardest part of the job. Most enjoyable part of the job was constantly being productive.
Pros
Paid lunch, Smoke breaks, over-time, benefits
Cons
two days of work permitted, unreliable schedule
Was very enriching experience
Finance/HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 28, 2015
Very intense, long hours. The work culture was very diversified but laid back. My workers were very supportive and always willing to assist in projects when the need was urgent.

I learned about time management and interacting with associates that reported to me. The best part of working at Habitat was the relationships forged with the homeowners and joy of seeing them accomplished their dreams of home ownership.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of support from the Board Members
Pros
Free lunches, medical and retirement benefits
Cons
No job advancements nor additional training
The job site
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Statesville, NCOctober 21, 2015
Habitat is a great organization that had great benefits of meeting amazing people throughout the job and knowing your helping people out!
Pros
People you meet, time off
Cons
They close at 5
Habitat for Humanity
Executive Secretary/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrodsburg, KYJune 21, 2016
Working for the Habitat for Humanity organization was a challenge that I enjoyed immensely. The group of administrators that ran our chapter worked well together to create new ideas,and plans. We spent months developing from the ground up, a complete neighborhood of homes for a group of low income families. Starting with obtaining the land from the city, to the selection process of the families, then the 'build' of each home with all the families working together. It was an honor to be a part of this organization.
Could be a fun place to work depending on if there was a ride by from higher management.
Sales Associate/ Intern Manager (Former Employee) –  Zephyrhills, FLJanuary 12, 2016
I never hated going into work. It wasn't the work that was stressful it was the time frame you had to get everything done in. There was never enough time for the management work to get done because the manager was having to be a cashier for a couple of as each day as well. And if the systems went down on anything you had to wait for them to get up & running to get the work done. Or had to start over which would take more time out of your day which gave you no home life. Circle Is not that bad but could be more family orientated
Pros
Good pay good insurance
Cons
VERY Stressful
Wonderful company, that I believe in.
Sorter/Receiving (Former Employee) –  Montrose, COJuly 4, 2016
Receiving donations, sorting them, cleaning them, pricing them, and then putting them out for sale. I learned that some people are very wasteful, but that helps those who are in need. Not so fond of the management. Some of my co-workers were awesome, hard working, and caring people. Not having what someone in need of really needs. Smiles on the faces of the customers, especially when they find what they need or a really good deal.
Pros
Coming across some really good deals.
Cons
Not full time work.
A very productive work place with fun people to be around.
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILDecember 27, 2015
A typical work day for Habitat for Humanity would consist of, me and other workers unloading, and loading household items, for either delivery, or renovation to put on the sales floor. What i learned was to communicate with my co-workers to get a couch that wouldn't fit into a car, to fit in the car. The management was pretty good. The managers had it under control, and organized pretty much all day everyday. My co-workers were extremely easy to talk to, and to get along with. The hardest part of the job would have to probably be, lifting a 100 pound item by your self that you couldn't get a good grip on it. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a bunch of nice people, and helping people restore their furniture.
Good experience with frustrated costumers
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 15, 2016
The idea of selling one's belongings that they no longer want is a work of genius. The way revenue is generated and spent is done expertly. I strongly approve the work being done by this company. I feel as though my interactions with people improved as well. Costumers would often come in trying to bargain as hard as they could. I feel this grew my skills in dealing with costumers that were not receiving the deals they imagined, but come to an acceptable compromise.
Pros
Thirty minute lunch break
Cons
Heavy lifting
It was a fun place to learn many things
volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INApril 6, 2016
I learned everything from cement to dry wall. When I started working with Habitat I knew nothing of construction. My school partnered with them so we could learn and become certified in many trades. I'm happy that I got this opportunity. My bosses are wonderful to work with and they have taught me more than just skills of the trade and we had fun doing it. The only bad thing I can think of is working in with the elements but if you dressed properly it wasn't bad over all.
Pros
learning skills of different trades
Blessing and humble.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, TXMay 14, 2016
Going into this volunteer group I had no idea what I was getting in to! But the lead builders took the time to talk and educate every step that took place in building the house we built, every Saturday was a blessing and humble day because I was able to help build a home from the ground up and help a family get back on their feet. There really isn't quite better then being able to give your time to someone who deserves it.
Pros
Being able to help others
Cons
None!
overall good place to work
Customer service/Floor salesperson (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXJune 13, 2016
A fast paced job preparing and pricing merchandise for resale, helping customers, etc.. The store was not climate controlled so temperature changes were a challenge and rearranging the furniture was a challenge when the place was full and the donation truck came in. I enjoyed working with the other employees and volunteers and seeing the regular customers daily.
Hard work for good people, bad managers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chalfont, PAApril 2, 2016
the majority of the job was moving large furniture around the building. customers are usually good people and most of the employees are too. Hope any of you dont get such godawful managers though.
Pros
knowing you are helping the community, simple
Cons
laborus, unfriendly management

4.4