Habitat For Humanity Employee Reviews

Learning opportunity, improve community, paid and volunteer positions
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Virginia, MNFebruary 20, 2017
This job was a volunteer experience for me, so there was no pay. We helped build two new houses in Virginia, Minnesota. There are many learning aspects of how city planning works. The hardest part is working in summer which can be quite hot. The best part is volunteers don't have to work all day long.
Pros
Good community projects, learning opportunity, community improvement
Cons
Volunteer (unpaid), sometimes difficult work conditions
Awesome work place and great people
Habitat for Humanity Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INJanuary 5, 2017
My days wouldn't go by without somebody saying thank you or being nice. Id have maybe one person come in upset or not having a good day but by the time they left that store they couldn't be happier. I learned that if you treat people with respect you will get that same respect back. My co-workers were so nice i had not one porblem with anybody. I don't really think i had a bad day everyday was a good day. The most enjoyable part of that job was being everybodys friend and making new ones everyday
Pros
Wonderful people, great work place
Productive and clean respectable atmosphere with Honest and reputable Director
Cleaning Technician (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, OHFebruary 17, 2017
Organizing and cleaning and keeping things in order was a typical day. I've learned that being honest is good policy with not interfering with productivity and keeping your eyes open and mouth closed is beneficial to all workers. Director of Humanity is a Honest and open minded with good intentions in a godly way. Hardest part of my job was not being in charge. The most enjoyable part of the job was going through all the donations and dealing with customers on a daily basis.
Pros
always food to eat clean water and occasional lunches was supplied by director
Cons
Dealing with people who thought that donations should be free to them, when rasing money was to help individuals with needs.
Multi-faceted job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, GADecember 13, 2016
A day at Habitat for Humanity is never the same. There is always something new to do. I attended meetings as well as piloted many projects within the community. I took on various tasks, and I used a system called Keystone to key in data for "in-kind" donations and to maintain a network database of donations and volunteers.
Pros
free lunches, something new all the time
Cons
limited pay due to being a non-profit organization
Bait and Switch job postings
Warehouse Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 5, 2016
They hired me to be their stock and receiving guy, but on my first day they made me a furniture mover (picking up large item donations on their truck). They still got after me for not keeping up with the job I hired applied for, even though I never got to do it. Then one day I show up for work and they already had termination papers wrote up. No warning or chance to improve, just one day fired.
Pros
Not minimum wage
Cons
Management does not value employees
It was a great environment
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 11, 2017
Doing this volunteer work really helped me in many ways. I learned how to work on Habitat for Humanity houses. I learned that not everyone has a roof over their head. The lady in charge was a teacher at my high school as well. She always made things more enjoyable and more entertaining. She was a great lady to be in charge.
Pros
Great homemade dishes and meeting new people
Cons
It was hard work
Productive and friendly work environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, COJanuary 10, 2017
I was an intern at the Habitat for Humanity for one semester during my junior year campaign. I learned a lot about community outreach and the importance of a society in which people work together to help each other succeed. My co-workers were excellent. They welcomed me with open arms and showed me exactly how to do everything. They never left me alone and confused.
Habitat For Humanity is a great place to work at. The employees are great, and the customers are wonderful.
Sales Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Marysville, CADecember 21, 2016
I worked for Habitat For Humanity for 2 years , my experience there was one never to forget. Co-workers are great people. Their programs they have are outstanding for the low income families. The volunteers are awesome.
Pros
There is a great feeling in seeing a family building and receiving a home.
Cons
Productive and active workplace also fun
Retail Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 26, 2016
They have dozens of military volunteers that come in and help out twice a week. They were really a big help. They accept donations from all over and refurbish the items and sell them to customers. The money that is raised off of the donations goes into a fund to build a nice home for a low income family.
Pros
free lunch, free snacks, free water, 70% off discount and hold tags for items.
Cons
part time could not exceed 30hours
amazing mission to be a part of
Paid Development Intern for fundraising department (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 31, 2017
A great intro to nonprofit. I found to love this world and stayed for years. It makes you feel so accomplished to be a part of it. I learned there so many valuable things that I have been able to put to use at my current position.
Pros
come into contact with a full spectrum of amazing individuals
Cons
some long hours

Want to know more about Habitat For Humanity?

Ask a question
Lovely helping the community
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 4, 2016
Really enjoyed my time at habitat for humanity as it has been a lot of time put in to organize the store and when some one asks you "this is what I need" and you know where to find it feels great. Could of had better gloves. Ha. Liked the crew and the management. If paid more I'd go back=).
Pros
Breaks (California)
Cons
Barked at for beeing underdog. Tough to deal with. I look for positive critiques.
productive fun work place
Clerical (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAFebruary 7, 2017
A normal day here at Habitat for Humanity consist of answering endless phone calls, helping our community out with the most possible way we can either with our services or other resources in our community. We also have a restore witch we get a lot of donations and most are pick ups we schedule them an appointment to do their pick ups.
Great Coworkers, Enriching Work
Construction Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 13, 2017
Typical day starts at 7:30, ends at 3:30 pm. Includes $4,500 Educational stipend, and two free trips to other states. A position for a social person who enjoys teamwork and is open to learning new skills.
Pros
Work sponsored parties, Community building team meetings
Cons
Extreme Manual Labor, Managers had communication issues
Great mission and culture
Corporate Partnership Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 19, 2016
The organization is making a huge impact on affordable housing and shelter around the world. Its employees are dedicated to its mission and principles. However, the familial culture is not necessary conducive to professional development.
Pros
Laid back culture, compensation is competitive for NGO headquarters
Cons
limited career growth
Good program for low income families
Front Desk Receptionist/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Longmont, CONovember 3, 2016
I enjoy meeting people who come into Habitat to purchase merchandise. The work environment is family oriented we all help out at the restore. I have learned to work on square and being a cashier. Worked with volunteers. The hardest part of the job is the distance I have moved since working at Habitat,
Pros
good learning experience
Cons
need knowledge on pricing mechandise
Very Productive and Helping Others
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAOctober 31, 2016
Daily work is normally always busy. People coming in to make purchases on furniture and other materials, they need constant assistance. Coworkers as well as volunteers are very reliable and do their best to help others out. While there, it helped me improve my social skills when talking to people in a calm manner while helping them.
Pros
The joy of helping others
Cons
Need to always be careful in the back
Great organization
Donations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 29, 2016
Great organization doing great things for communities around the world. The company is great to work for - they provide great benefits and going to work is fun, I can even bring my dog on occasion.
The only downside is that the pay is not the best and due to executive positions being paid by grant job security and advancement is limited.
Didn't like the job
Restore associate (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAFebruary 1, 2017
Managers never came to sales floor prices were not on merchandise we had to leave the customer walk all the way to the front to grab a manager so the can walk all the way to the back and give a customer a price, associates are rude, no background check is required to work there,it's real dirty there
Volunteer
Habitat for Humanity Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CADecember 1, 2016
I volunteered for a few years, cleaned up parks, painted tables, answered phones,cleaned bathrooms, filed paperwork. Also helped tear down homes and rebuild from the ground up. Loved the freedom the people were friendly , always had a good time, learned lots, gained people skills.
Pros
Provides water and snacks
Fun activities after work, playing different types of games.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LADecember 21, 2016
This was a great experience for me going down to Louisiana Lafayette and being part of something so amazing. I did this volunteer work for a few months and I enjoyed every moment of it, and without doubt I will do it again.
Pros
Was a fun job working as a volunteer.
Cons
Zero cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Habitat For Humanity. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4