Habitat For Humanity Employee Reviews

Great mission and culture
Corporate Partnership Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 19, 2016
The organization is making a huge impact on affordable housing and shelter around the world. Its employees are dedicated to its mission and principles. However, the familial culture is not necessary conducive to professional development.
Pros
Laid back culture, compensation is competitive for NGO headquarters
Cons
limited career growth
Great organization
Donations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 29, 2016
Great organization doing great things for communities around the world. The company is great to work for - they provide great benefits and going to work is fun, I can even bring my dog on occasion.
The only downside is that the pay is not the best and due to executive positions being paid by grant job security and advancement is limited.
executive director very difficult to work for
ReStore Manager (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJNovember 25, 2016
work with volunteers is wonderful, executive director does not allow you to manage your team than gives bad review when its time for a raise, tells you yes to everything and then says it was never said
Pros
wonderful volunteers
Cons
lack of benefits
Fun and family work environment
Vice-President of Retail Operations (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 4, 2016
Great work/life balance. You can feel the immediate benefits of working for this non-profit organization. Our mission is to build affordable housing for low-income families.
Pros
work/life balance --- family culture
Bait and Switch job postings
Warehouse Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 5, 2016
They hired me to be their stock and receiving guy, but on my first day they made me a furniture mover (picking up large item donations on their truck). They still got after me for not keeping up with the job I hired applied for, even though I never got to do it. Then one day I show up for work and they already had termination papers wrote up. No warning or chance to improve, just one day fired.
Pros
Not minimum wage
Cons
Management does not value employees
Productive and active workplace also fun
Retail Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 26, 2016
They have dozens of military volunteers that come in and help out twice a week. They were really a big help. They accept donations from all over and refurbish the items and sell them to customers. The money that is raised off of the donations goes into a fund to build a nice home for a low income family.
Pros
free lunch, free snacks, free water, 70% off discount and hold tags for items.
Cons
part time could not exceed 30hours
Productive group with a good cause that works towards goals
Vice president (Former Employee) –  Worcester Academy, Worcester, MAJune 8, 2016
When I joined Habitat for Humanity I did not know exactly what I was doing. However, I learned skills such as working as part of a team and a larger cause that would benefit communities rather than individuals. I learned how to be assertive, and how to problem solve. It was quite social, and the people were genuine and kind. There were big projects such as building houses, but also small projects such as building community gardens, landscaping, and fundraisers. Working on job sites was the best part of the job because of the visible progression of things and because of the group effort. Surprisingly, the only hard parts of the job were organizing groups of volunteers for the site jobs and sometimes the physical labor. Otherwise, Habitat for Humanity was an enjoyable job.
Pros
Helping communities, Good people, Learn new skills (construction, finance)
Cons
More of a volunteer job
Working Environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 22, 2016
The company could be an excellent company to work for except for no rules and regulations are followed and there is a "double standard" within this organization for those in higher positions. Management needs more training on how to treat employees and how to integrate the company into being cultural friendly.
Pros
Benefits and the mission
Cons
not diverse or culturally sound, decisions are biased more so than factual and not by company bylaws and regulations.
Great but no advancement
Logistics Manager (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLSeptember 7, 2016
There are a million and one great things about working here, but if you're not looking to advance your career and instead are okay with staying in your position for more than 5-10 years then here is a place to be!
Pros
They stick to 40 hours
Cons
No advancement, room for growth, compensation and benefits.
not that bad
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 6, 2016
My actual great part of my day was my customers,co workers made my day also mostly the slow parts of day killed me bathroom always out of order so difficult to ask to go, management always promising raise but budget always an excuse
Cons
going to the bathroom was considered a break
Good workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, CTSeptember 8, 2016
First thing I have to mention is that neither the manager (Brian LaTour) nor the assistant manager (Rachel Lambert) still works there, so the management comments are a little outdated.

Despite working hard there, I never got dehydrated because I got a lot of breaks and the refrigerator was full of bottled water.

The management was great there. They made sure I was hydrated and didn't work me too hard.

After a time, the manager got a good handle on my abilities and would cue up several different jobs which I would remember all of then execute.
Pros
Free snacks and drinks, Good management, No application (builds work experience without having to apply)
Cons
Volunteer (no pay)
Positive environment, for a good cause
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Batesville, ARJuly 27, 2016
At this job I work with the public- receiving and processing donations, recruiting and managing volunteers and occasionally run events to raise the profile of the organization within the community at large
Pros
Flexible hours, willing to work around class schedule, allows me to take initiative
Cons
retail
It's something you'll never forget.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCJuly 31, 2016
A day as a volunteer at Habitat for Humanity is a great day, from start to finish. Starting our day we would pray as a group in the store, and as the day progressed you are approached by many wonderful people, helping them with whatever they may need. The managers and workers at Habitat are superb, everyone in the store was treated as family and the volunteers all have strong loving bonds with each other. Every Saturday Management would buy all of the volunteers lunch, and I found that sitting around the break table with everyone talking about our experiences of the day was one of the best parts of the job, the hardest part was probably leaving.
Pros
Free lunches & friendly people.
Cons
Hard labor for some volunteers, and Hot summer days.
Poorly organized
ReSTORE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 15, 2016
Work environment among staff is proactive, however management leaves a lot to be desired. There is little room for job advancement, and pay does not correlate to what is expected of staff to do.
Marketing Manager, Habitat ReStore (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 8, 2016
Management is great to work with. The most important of the job is me being able to give back to my community. The people I work with are fantastic to work with.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Lovely helping the community
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 4, 2016
Really enjoyed my time at habitat for humanity as it has been a lot of time put in to organize the store and when some one asks you "this is what I need" and you know where to find it feels great. Could of had better gloves. Ha. Liked the crew and the management. If paid more I'd go back=).
Pros
Breaks (California)
Cons
Barked at for beeing underdog. Tough to deal with. I look for positive critiques.
Volunteered
Filing Clerk Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 12, 2016
Volunteered- there was no need for benefits, balancing between work and my personal life, did not provide job security seeing that this was a volunteer opportunity, etc.
hard work low pay
Porter (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 20, 2016
7.25 to 7.61 is not enough to unload trucks moving door sinks windows matress etc they have you workin like you get paid the world i quit because i was being belittled by management by complaing and laughing at me in my face about raises or a differnt postion i would never get workin there eveyday its the same slave routine with attitude from lazy store mangers that dont do anything while you assit customers with heavy items out the store and intake in the back i work for 2 yrs almost 3 but i reached my breaking point in 2015 n walked out
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Low pay for hard work
Wonderful Place to Volunteer.
Administrative assistant duties (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXAugust 26, 2016
A very rewarding place to volunteer. Habitat for Humanity does an excellent job for the community.

My typical day is data entry and filing.

I learned that a simple application process, can lead to the hopes and dreams for a family.

The management teams are friendly and yet, professional.

The most enjoyable part of the job, is to assist in their annual events.
Pros
Meeting new people.
Cons
No cons.
Wonderful company, that I believe in.
Sorter/Receiving (Former Employee) –  Montrose, COJuly 4, 2016
Receiving donations, sorting them, cleaning them, pricing them, and then putting them out for sale. I learned that some people are very wasteful, but that helps those who are in need. Not so fond of the management. Some of my co-workers were awesome, hard working, and caring people. Not having what someone in need of really needs. Smiles on the faces of the customers, especially when they find what they need or a really good deal.
Pros
Coming across some really good deals.
Cons
Not full time work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Habitat For Humanity. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4