Habitat For Humanity

Habitat For Humanity Employee Reviews

Typical workday
Office Assistant Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 24, 2014
I typical day I had when working at Habitat for humanity was a busy, productive day. I also had hands-on training on how to become an office clerk or an administrative assistant before I even graduated college and stop working at habitat for Humanity. In addition to that my supervisor was very helpful with questions and/or concerns I had regarding the position in which I was working in. My co-workers were really nice and got along with them perfectly. The hardest part of the job was to keep organized and working under stress as quickly and efficiently as possible. I enjoyed this position because it was similiar with what I was going to school for at that time and learning different things about the company.
Pros
stable environment, easy going/ understandable staff, always busy with a task
Cons
barely any breaks, the office would sometimes be super cold
Collaborative physical work building houses for low-income families
Site Leader/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Gabriel Valley, Nashville TNAugust 3, 2013
Habitat for Humanity enables citizens to interact with low-income families and to constructively build homes with the help of the families themselves. Therefore, one takes great pride in building a home with the hard work, sweat, and commitment of the family whose home it eventually will house. As a site leader and volunteer I was in charge of delegating tasks to improve the efficiently of the process while maintaining and tracking a fiscally sound budget to complete all tasks necessary for the homebuilding.

From Resume

Volunteer/Site Coordinator 2001-2009
Habitat for Humanity, Southern California
Organized coordination of tract home construction including fundraising for new projects to break ground Summer 2010. Site leader for Geneva Project – first environmental friendly home built for San Gabriel Valley Habitat for Humanity.
Habitat for Humanity: Nashville 2002-2013
• Built, painted, and constructed homes in and around Nashville.
Pros
leadership, communication, budgeting, teamwork
Fun energetic place to work, lots of teamwork and customer interaction.
Key hold manager - Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIMay 21, 2014
The day begins by cleaning and organizing in effort for the daily operations to run smooth and efficiently. All employees collaborate together to make sure we are working on the goals for the day. The day consists of setting up donations for pick up or drop off, getting them cleaned, priced and ready for the sales floor. I enjoy helping customers most of all, but to be part of a team who makes the community a better place is also very rewarding. The management is outstanding with a sense of company pride and responsibility for the good of team members as well as the patrons. All of my co-workers had something unique to bring to the table, which is great to share and learn from.
Rewarding work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Longview TXMay 8, 2013
Working at Habitat for Humanity Restore was an honor. I loved helping people in need find items for their home that they could not afford elsewhere. I took phone calls, messages, and donations from the communty. I learned that hard work pays off whether it be by a paycheck or by the satisfaction that I had impacted someones life. My management was awesome and laid back. My cowokers were fun, outgoing and just as hardworking as myself. The hardest part of my job was not being able to find the items needed for some people that come into the store with awful stories of their homes buring down. The most enjoyable part of my job was the exact opposite; being able to help those that needed it.
Pros
emotionally rewarding
Cons
stay on feet constantly, hot store
Odd Work
sales person (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALMay 13, 2013
Fun to find new items to sell. Sort of like digging for treasure. However, at times the customers tried to walk over you and demand something valuable at a very low cost. Tried to stand up for the company and hold fairly frim to prices, then got yelled at by management for not sticking to, "The customer is always right.", mentality. Customers would call some of the staff stupid and other insulting names. Management would say one thing, then change their mind the next.

Plus it seems that the board of trustees didn't like people showing them up or not having their permission asked for expansion. One was fired b/c they didn't ask the boards approval. However, after they replaced that position they went ahead with the expansion.
Great productive team work and leadership.
Construction coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 4, 2015
Work day's were Great for me, It was always a new day for something to be accomplished. I learned a small amount of time management, Leadership skills and training. Worked with volunteers on a day basis. Enjoyed the atmosphere of volunteers taking pleasure of a great cause. Management is superb, always staying on top of their job duties, that provided the team a working setup. Management was close to it's, Employees! After days work, I would go home and think about how to have better relationships with co-workers. Providing co-workers with energetic ideas had me going. Working with excellent co-workers had the hardest part of the job accomplished before hand. Hands Down! I loved the leadership skills I was taught, It was so eagering to learn skills and show others them.
Pros
staff lunch, great vacations, cell phone reimbursement, leadership skills
Fun and Diverse Workplace
Landscape Laborer (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 28, 2014
A typical day at this company would consist of doing rigorous work(heavy lifting, constant walking and standing) as soon as you arrive on the job site which for me was early in the morning. An adequate amount of time for your break that would get in the middle of the day. The job definitely taught me how to work as a team player. My co-workers were very friendly and very knowledgeable about the job providing me with insight on how to do my duties more efficiently and were a great help. The hardest part of the job was the continuous heavy lifting I did through out my shift. the most enjoyable part of was being a part of a project where you literally built house from the ground up to provide a family with a place to call a home.
A very productive work place with fun people to be around.
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILDecember 27, 2015
A typical work day for Habitat for Humanity would consist of, me and other workers unloading, and loading household items, for either delivery, or renovation to put on the sales floor. What i learned was to communicate with my co-workers to get a couch that wouldn't fit into a car, to fit in the car. The management was pretty good. The managers had it under control, and organized pretty much all day everyday. My co-workers were extremely easy to talk to, and to get along with. The hardest part of the job would have to probably be, lifting a 100 pound item by your self that you couldn't get a good grip on it. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a bunch of nice people, and helping people restore their furniture.
productive and fun place to work, with some very nice people
Donations Assistant/ Drivers assistant (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NCSeptember 10, 2013
A typical day at work consist of getting on the truck, and go all over the county picking up donations, then unloading them at the store, multiable times a day, i learned alot working there, like how to run and operate a sucessfull business, the management, and co-workers are great people to work around, the hardest part of the job i may say is unloading the full 24ft box truck that you just had to load up, lol. the most enjoyable part of the job was after working really hard to break down some products and put them on the truck, you where always greeted with ac blowing in your face and a cool drink staring at you.
Pros
discounts on products/ items
Cons
no benifents
hard work low pay
Porter (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJanuary 20, 2016
7.25 to 7.61 is not enough to unload trucks moving door sinks windows matress etc they have you workin like you get paid the world i quit because i was being belittled by management by complaing and laughing at me in my face about raises or a differnt postion i would never get workin there eveyday its the same slave routine with attitude from lazy store mangers that dont do anything while you assit customers with heavy items out the store and intake in the back i work for 2 yrs almost 3 but i reached my breaking point in 2015 n walked out
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Low pay for hard work
Collaboration with like minded individuals
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 18, 2013
I had a couple days of physical work during my volunteer, often involved moving disorganized stockpiles of metal and wood so that they could be transported to another facility. I was directed to the tasks at hand. However, I was allowed to perform my duties in a manner that I saw fit. My co-workers and I would often stay on track in terms of the work that needed to be done, though I questioned the safety issues on how some of the workers performed these duties i.e. disregard for other people's presence. The most difficult part of the job was lifting and moving scaffolding beams for hours on end, leaving the only desirable episode being lunch.
Pros
teamwork, contribution, free lunch
Cons
co-workers can be dangerous, inconsiderate
supervisor
Accounting Intern (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAApril 19, 2015
1. Financial Accounting Reporting
Prepare internal and external documents for transactions
Apply Quickbooks software to record sales journal, cash receipts journal, and general journal
Do bank reconciliation in Quickbooks software
2. Internal Control Audit:
Restore’s sales and collection cycle
Designing tests of controls and substantive tests of transactions for 5 classes of transactions including sales, cash receipts, sales returns and allowances, write-off of uncollectible accounts receivable, and bad debt expense
Understand internal control
Assess planned control risk
Determined the extent of testing controls
Design tests to meet transaction related audit objectives
3. Management
Revised and updated the new 2015 Business Plan for the Habitat Restore, including forecasting revenue, expenses, net income for the end of the fiscal year
Reviewed, researched and recommended updates to policies and procedures manuals
Amazing staff, as well as a high speed working environment.
Construction Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  High PointMay 29, 2015
On an average day as the Construction Crew Leader at Habitat i am responsible for leading, teaching, and keeping safe a group of volunteers through a residential build. We generally work from 7:30- 4 and have an amazing staff with great spirit and hard work ethic. The hardest part of the job is keeping all the volunteers moving when we are trying to work on some of the more tedious parts of the build that they have no experience in. The most rewarding part of the job is when we dedicate the house to the family that will be living in it and we see what all out hard work is actually doing and how it impacts the families lives
Pros
Great mission
Cons
Not enough pay
No Two Days Are Ever The Same
ReStore Manager (Current Employee) –  Mankato, MNSeptember 29, 2014
A typical day at the ReStore involves an always changing staff that manages to do great things despite the fact that we can't predict what will be happening in 20 minutes.

Since I love random tasks, it's a great fit for me. I have enjoyed many of the volunteers and other staff I've worked with and many of our customers & donors.

Most rewarding for me has been seeing the final results of mywork. Not only do I know I make a great impact on our environment (we've kept nearly 900 TONS) of building materials out of landfills, but I also know that I've helped change many, many lives for the better.
light work, some heavy lifting, and friendly work invirement
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Marysville, CASeptember 22, 2014
I would help customers with their donations, with finding and moving there store bought merchandise. loading and unloading company tucks. Slow days I tested and cleaned donations getting them floor ready. Then I would stock the floor with the floor ready items. Also I would sanitize/clean floors, shelves, warehouse, bathroom, windows and floor items.

Managenment was great very helpfull and informative. My co-workers were very friendly, professional, having great team and work ethics.

The hardest part of my job is the slow time. Because I like to stay busy. The more steady work I do the faster the workday will go.

I most enjoyed the friendy work environment and staying busy working with my hands.
Pros
friendly and helpfull workers
Cons
poor structure
Its an organized and fun loving place to work where you learn great knowledge about construction and your teammates are like you family.
Construction Intern (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 14, 2015
Everyday work from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. Check the office first then go to specific sites. Working is fun with Ameri-Core members who are recent graduates from different colleges. Management is great and always up for answering any question you have. People who work at Habitat are not only co-worker to each other but close friend and family to everybody. Lunch hour is a great time for everyone. Often higher personal sponsor lunch which is plus point.
Pros
Free coffee and candy. Great people.
Cons
Not a competitive pay.
Very productive, but manages to treat their volunteers with respect
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COSeptember 30, 2013
I enjoyed working with Habitat for humanity as long as I did, the people were very kind and helped teach you how to do work you didn't previously know
A typical day there was usually taking care of heavy furniture in the back or just general cleaning around the store, since the store wasn't every that busy
The hardest part of the job was probably the one I did the most, which was carrying most of the furniture, since it can get incredibly heavy sometimes
The most enjoyable part was just knowing that you helped someone out
Pros
nice people, kind enviornment, no strict dress code
Cons
nametags always fell off, it could get boring sometimes
A career that allows flexibility, creativiity and recruitment.
Director (Current Employee) –  Louisa, VaNovember 24, 2014
A typical day at Habitat involves meeting potential families and enrolling then in the First Time Home Buyer's Workshops. Explaining Habitat for Humanity is a non profit agency that helps low income families purchase their first home.

Time management is very important to; because, I also recruit volunteers and costumers for Meals On Wheels. Habitat For Humanity Board has allocated for the position of director 40 hours a month.

I am a solo team player that report monthly to the Board for Habitat.

The hardest part of my employment is NOT enough hours in the day.

The most enjoyable part of my position is meeting new prospective volunteers, costumers, potential partner families and people in the community.
Pros
i'm my own boss
Cons
no board support, no benefits and no financial compensation.
Volunteer Service
Installer (Former Employee) –  Modest, CaliforniaJuly 18, 2014
Normal day included showing up to the house site at 8 and proceeding to do status check of what needed to be accomlished in the next phase of development. Had to manage time against the schedule of house comleyton for residents to take occupancy of home.

The hardest part of the Job was learning how to structurally build a home from the foundation to it's framing. Although I am technical, building a home in a matter of weeks to present a livable environment for a family was a great learning curve for myself.

The most enjoyable time would be presenting the family with the key to the front door. Knowing that my hands had built a shelter for individuals to live was its own reward.
It was a fun place to volunteer.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bend, ORFebruary 28, 2013
A typical day at work would conclude of working on houses, construction work, and just a lot of hands on stuff. I learned a lot about construction work and how to build a house as far as making and putting everything together. There wasn't really a hard part about the job besides the physical aspects of the job. Which I had no problem with, the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to give back to community in a way that I could really work at, i.e. construction working, building houses, and just helping out somebody who needs a place to live.
Pros
long breaks, it was volunteer work so it was a friendly environment
Cons
the amount of people who didn't know what they were doing was somewhat frustrating

4.4