Habitat For Humanity

Habitat For Humanity Employee Reviews

Could be a fun place to work depending on if there was a ride by from higher management.
Sales Associate/ Intern Manager (Former Employee) –  Zephyrhills, FLJanuary 12, 2016
I never hated going into work. It wasn't the work that was stressful it was the time frame you had to get everything done in. There was never enough time for the management work to get done because the manager was having to be a cashier for a couple of as each day as well. And if the systems went down on anything you had to wait for them to get up & running to get the work done. Or had to start over which would take more time out of your day which gave you no home life. Circle Is not that bad but could be more family orientated
Pros
Good pay good insurance
Cons
VERY Stressful
A Volunteer Opportunity with Habitat for Humanity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Beaufort, SCSeptember 6, 2013
Alternative Spring Break (ABC) is a program run by the University of New Hampshire which allows for students to spend their spring break volunteering in a different part of the country. My sophomore year at UNH I volunteered to go to Beaufort, SC to work with Habitat for Humanity. I went with eight other UNH students who I did not previously know. This was one of the greatest experiences I have had at UNH. It was great to know other students so well and working with Habitat for Humanity was a great learning experience. Learning about the families we were building the houses for and learning how to build a house were two separate life lessons learned on one trip.
Pros
a big learning experience.
Cons
nothing
Non-Profit
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Americus, GAJune 24, 2012
Duties included managing the administrative functions of the Direct Marketing Department, tracking of in-house expenditures for the department on a weekly basis, serve as a liaison between Direct Marketing, outside vendors and the Finance Department. Process authorizations to complete campaigns and payment of invoices from vendors and consultants. Researched donor’s accounts on the custom donor database per the Sr. Director’s and Director’s request. Provided feedback on the same. Produced standard reports from the database, communicated and interacted with consultants, vendors, internal support departments and other staff members as well as prospective and current donors. Provided daily direction to volunteers on duties to be performed in fulfillment of requests from donors, affiliates and department requests. Arranged for travel within the US and International for the Senior Director and Director. Other administrative duties as assigned
Rochester MN Habitat ReStore
ReStore Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNOctober 5, 2015
Was a decent place to work for most of the time I was there. The manager is ok, has lots of good ideas. Difficult to find volunteers, which means she had to do a lot of the labor at times. This caused a lot of friction. The driver (picked up donations) is a lot more fun. The culture when I left was decent, except for lack of volunteers on some shifts. I've heard from others that have been there since that it isn't as much fun to volunteer there as before. Hardest part of my job was getting volunteers for Saturday afternoons in the summer. Most enjoyable was working with the volunteers, driver, and customers.
A first time work expierience with a positive atmosphere
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLJune 18, 2014
Every day directly after school I'd go to Habitat for humanity to volunteer 2 to 3 hours a day everyday. To be honest I was excited about the new work and was very excited about going. I learned what its like to work with people and in the work place. My co-workers were very accommodating helping me understand how things worked and what I should do. The hardest part of my job was getting comfortable with talking to customers, I was very shy and nervous about speaking to strangers. However the most fun I had was cleaning the store, I love to clean.
Pros
good co-workers and socail expirance
Cons
hard work and occasionally really bad customers
Productive and interesting place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INJanuary 13, 2013
While working at the ReStore I learned many things about retail and the daily jobs of the manager. On a typical day of work, I would meet with my boss and find out our daily duties. I typically worked with costumers at the front desk with questions they might have. I also take phone calls and set up appointments. I have also recently been in charge of some advertising on facebook for our company along with craigslist posting. The most enjoyable part of my job are the individuals that I work with. I work for a Christian organization and we are more like a family but we get the job done.
Pros
the environment
Love to work with the volunteer's there.
Construction Laborer (Current Employee) –  Bel Air, MDJune 22, 2015
We get volunteers from all of the country. And it is just fun to hear about how they joined americorps and how it is helping them in road of life. We learn a lot of new things like having to use nail guns which use gun powder to help drive in the nail's which is very interesting. We also have experience people who work in construction there at the site. So, if you have any question's or help with anything you people there who can help you.
It is just a great time volunteering and helping rebuild communities and seeing the finished home and say I helped build that.
Pros
Free meals
productive and fun .
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LASeptember 19, 2014
• Clean tables.
• Wipe tables or seats with dampened cloths or replace dirty tablecloths.
• Set tables with clean linens, condiments, or other supplies.
• Scrape and stack dirty dishes and carry dishes and other tableware to kitchens for cleaning.
• Clean up spilled food or drink or broken dishes and remove empty bottles and trash.
• Perform serving, cleaning, or stocking duties in establishments, such as cafeterias or dining rooms, to facilitate customer service.
• Serve ice water, coffee, rolls, or butter to patrons.
• Fill beverage or ice dispensers.
• Stock cabinets or serving areas with condiments and refill condiment containers.
• Carry food, dishes, trays, or silverware from kitchens or supply departments to serving counters.
• Serve food to customers when waiters or waitresses need assistance.
learning how to build a house and meeting friendly people
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXJuly 21, 2014
Everyday we would have to get all the power tools ready for the day and we had to drive to the job site. we learn construction technique and how to become leaders to lead volunteer groups. the management we had was really great they were always there to help us out in any problems we were stuck on. the co workers were all friendly and helpful. the hardest part of the job would probably be when it was raining cause we couldn't go to the job site. the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing home owners walking in there dream house.
Pros
finishing a year would give u a scholarship for college
Cons
no cons
fulfilling experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 15, 2015
while I helped build houses for low-income families through the habitat for humanity foundation I learned many skills. I not only saw how much hard work went into building just one house, but the impact it made on the people's lives who were able to live in that house. It felt amazing to give back to people in need. It was initially hard to learn all the tasks that needed to be completed but working with a positive group that understood the importance of the work was truly incredible.
Pros
Learning new skills and seeing positive outcomes
Cons
the locations were sometimes far away
Habitat for Humanity-AmeriCorps
Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIMarch 7, 2013
This s a job in which I had the opportunity to better my hometown of Benton Harbor, Michigan. I served as a volunteer coordinator so I was responsible for briefing the volunteers of risks factors of working, filing papers and other random tasks that involved the people giving their time to the organization. My co-workers all had the common goal of building houses for those in need, thus we had similar morals and values. The easiest part was getting to know people, while the hardest part was the physical demands of the job.
Pros
free lunches, giving back to my community
Cons
short/unscheduled breaks, external factors like weather
Productive- work place, always busy and fast paced
General laborer (Current Employee) –  Kelso, WAFebruary 27, 2015
Organize sections throughout store. Working here has helped my organization skills so much that I am the lead organizing coordinator. All co-workers are friendly and eager to learn and help. You have to learn to deal with the customers that no matter the willingness you go for them, sometimes there just not going to be satisfied. I feel enrichment and self gratification having been given the organization coordinator.
Pros
take your own breaks when you want.
Cons
6 month job only. and part time only. no benefits.
Happy People
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 22, 2014
Habitat for Humanity (Restore) is a great organization. Management is tops. From the CEO down to the store manager. Helpful, understanding people who will help you in many different ways. Habitat for Humanity is a Christian based organization whose whole purpose is to help low income people find decent safe affordable housing. They accomplish this with a passion! They build homes as well as remodel existing structures. What I loved about Habitat is that every Thursday morning we had staff meetings that gave you an overview of the entire organization.

I am thankful to have been a part of Habitat for Humanity.
A very humbling experience
Mortgage Processor (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 6, 2014
I am grateful for the opportunity to work at an organization that provided such a humbling experience. To work with those less fortunate is truly an amazing experience. I have learned so much about not only home building but also accounting skills that will provide much value. My immediate supervisor who had to leave due to medical issues was truly an amazing teacher and mentor. There was never anything too challenging, and the most enjoyable part of my job was watching the joy in homeowners' faces as they closed on their homes.
Was very enriching experience
Finance/HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 28, 2015
Very intense, long hours. The work culture was very diversified but laid back. My workers were very supportive and always willing to assist in projects when the need was urgent.

I learned about time management and interacting with associates that reported to me. The best part of working at Habitat was the relationships forged with the homeowners and joy of seeing them accomplished their dreams of home ownership.

The hardest part of the job was the lack of support from the Board Members
Pros
Free lunches, medical and retirement benefits
Cons
No job advancements nor additional training
Rewarding experience with plenty of oppotunity for team building and knowledge advancement
Project Manager - Lead Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 23, 2015
The core of doing this charity work is both the knowledge of knowing your helping others that could use some help. In addition we get to learn new techniques for accomplishing tasks and get to practice those techniques firsh hand and immediately. I enjoy the team building and watching people go from uncertantiny to confidence in what the've learned and joy in the beginning of mastering a new process.
Pros
helping those who otherwise would not gave a chance at homeowhership
Cons
i honestly cannot think of any
Productive and helpful place to be apart of
Volunteer/Registry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 7, 2014
Very laid back facility
learned how to compile records and organize those particular records.
learned how to register future volunteer information onto the habitat for humanity website.
management has very positive attitudes and willingness to get the job done
co-workers had very positive attitudes and willingness to get the job done
there was not a hard day working. I adapted well to the information given to me to get the job done/
most enjoyable part of the day was knowing I was helping families in need of a home and helping people be apart of the giving process to those in need of a home.
Pros
helping those in need
Cons
management is very bias group.. they do not always give credit when due.
Productive and Fun workplace
Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  Troy, NYJanuary 18, 2014
I would go to a construction site daily and I would help make houses and learn new things. I learned carpentry and drywall. I earned many certifications. The management was an awesome group. They encouraged me to work harder everyday, they pushed me to do things that I felt uncomfortable to do, and they taught me that I could do anything that I put my mind to. My coworkers were great when they wanted to be, but sometimes they weren't as devoted as I was. The hardest part of my job was people not trying to work as hard as I was working. The most enjoyable part of my day was learning new things on a daily basis.
Pros
learning construction skills, learning how to do drywall, learning how to do carpentry
Amazing work experience
Manager, Communications and Volunteer Services (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 27, 2013
Working for Habitat has been the most incredible experience. Working for a large-scale nonprofit like Habitat has allowed me vast experience and exposure that I would never have received working for a for-profit right out of college. In the two and half years I have spent with Habitat, I have been able to be involved in every niche of the organization and have truly grown as both an individual and a professional. Every day is different and the intrinsic rewards are invaluable. That said, I am looking forward to advancing my career into the for profit sector and am open to new opportunities and adventures.
Enjoyable place to work.
Director of Construction (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, TNSeptember 27, 2012
All aspects of construction task.
Learned how a non proffit organization operates.
Friendly and willing to let me operate construction aspects of the job with confidence in my abilties.
Co-workers where friendly and eager to do the job right.
No paticulat item stands out as being hard at this particular job.
Seeing someone accept there keys to there new house that normally wouldn't have an opportunity to obtain a house another way.
Pros
ability to meet great people and experience the volunteer spirit of people.
Cons
not able to continue employment due to merger.

4.4