Habitat For Humanity

Habitat For Humanity Employee Reviews

Enjoyable place to work.
Director of Construction (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, TNSeptember 27, 2012
All aspects of construction task.
Learned how a non proffit organization operates.
Friendly and willing to let me operate construction aspects of the job with confidence in my abilties.
Co-workers where friendly and eager to do the job right.
No paticulat item stands out as being hard at this particular job.
Seeing someone accept there keys to there new house that normally wouldn't have an opportunity to obtain a house another way.
Pros
ability to meet great people and experience the volunteer spirit of people.
Cons
not able to continue employment due to merger.
Productive, always something new to learn.
Apprentice for construction (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 8, 2015
Contractors gather workers for a meeting to discuss the plans for the day before hand and come to a mutual agreement. Learned diverse things involving the ethics of construction. Concrete, Drywall, Electrical, Power Tools, Identifying Safety Hazards, How to work with a group of people, etc. Co-workers respected when you're on the clock or doing a job. Weather conditions made the hardest part of the job. Most enjoyable part of the job was constantly being productive.
Pros
Paid lunch, Smoke breaks, over-time, benefits
Cons
two days of work permitted, unreliable schedule
Challenging and Interesting at times rewarding
Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saint Augustine, FLJanuary 15, 2013
On site at 7 am to set up refreshments and water stations for volunteers. Check in volunteers, back to office for data entry, submission to builder of volunteer sign in sheets. Begin finding additional volunteers.
I have learned the is seldom a limit to the needs of a non-profit organization.
Self managed for the most part.
Co workers are busy trying to accomplish their own responsiblities.
The hardest part of this job is to continually refresh the volunteer pool.
The most enjoyable part is when a new home owner gets into their home and lovingly maintains the property.
Supervised children from abused and neglected backgrounds
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 21, 2012
A typical day was spend supervising children with play activities such as drawing, reading, games or behavior management. Management was very laid back and co-workers were the same. This being sort of a halfway house for abused and neglected children, contact was often short or on a come and go basis. The hardest part of the job was hearing the hardships that these children faced and how much they missed their families. The most enjoyable was knowing the small impact it made on some of the students and being a part of this necessary cause.
Pros
good cause
Cons
unfortunate necessity
Hard working and flexible schedule
Donations Ambassador, Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 24, 2015
As an employee at habitat I was usually one of the first people to show up for work. A typical day consisted of preparing and organizing the warehouse before the store opened, followed by getting the truck ready, cleaned and set-up. A majority of the day was dedicated to driving around to scheduled pick-up appointments. Management were great-full of my efforts and great work ethic and dependability. The hardest part of the job, was repetitively lifting heavy items. Most enjoyable part, was the flexibility in scheduling.
Pros
flexible
Cons
Sometimes not getting a lunch break.
Habitat for Humanity
Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  Robinson, ILMarch 29, 2015
Every person should take Construction technology in school if you are good at it and like helping people you may have just found a career as a carpenter or construction worker. I liked building homes and doing outside projects. Its beats working in the classroom and you can do it as an adult if you wanted too. Its volunteer work if your looking for a little purpose and to be led in the right direction for a career involving carpentry work. Then I personally recommend you try this out you can't beat free training.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
N/A
Exceptional work experiences
Volunteer Drawftsman (Current Employee) –  Hoquiam, WAAugust 21, 2014
Working with the Habitat for Humanity has brought me great joy, feeling a sense of fulfillment and achievement.I have been privileged to meet some great people whose dedication and resourcefulness, makes the good work that the Habitat does seem effortless.

My participation has been contributing Technical Architectural drawings which has to be approved by the City before renovations, or construction can be done on a home. I visit the Job site,take necessary measurements needed for the drawings the I complete the drawings at home. They are reviewed by the Director of H.O.H. and submitted.
Customers to come into a store happy and leave happy.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sebring, FLNovember 5, 2015
I met a lot of people at Habitat for Humanity and it's amazing what our company does for people who are in need of a good home of supplies. Whatever the customers need, we will help out with their needs and wants. The volunteers are so helpful and they make the job more comfortable. My manager is the coolest and caring person that I had ever met in my life. He cares about his volunteers and employees. The hardest part of my job is how the customers don't know the real meaning of Habitat.
productive and good to give back to the community
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 28, 2014
Working with Habitat for Humanity is good for many reasons. Giving your time to those in need of shelter, giving them a warm feeling in their heart that they have a home. Working with the crew their I learned a few things. They were all nice and inviting when I first started and there's nothing I could complain about. Everyone that volunteers their time to this community is incredible. Some even work full time on top of volunteer, that's amazing.
Pros
free lunch and beverages
Cons
only work certain hours
Great company that helps others.
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 25, 2013
Typically we would start in the morning and work, have a lunch break, and be done by at least five or six in the afternoon. I definitely learned how to repair houses, that is if I ever need it. The co-workers helped me with anything I needed. They're great people. I don't really think I had a hard time with any parts of this job. I enjoyed every minute of it!
Pros
feelings of helping others
Cons
bring your own lunch, dangers of falling off a roof
Positive Learning Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Pitman, NJJuly 8, 2014
Usually after clocking in I would begin pricing items that did not have tags in the store and organize products to make them more appealing to the eye of the customers. Many of the workers were volunteers though so performing the heavy lifting and several hours on my feet was probably the most demanding aspect of the job. I enjoyed my manager and my co-workers because they were flexible with my hours and helped learn how to organize items in the store. I'm glad I had the chance to help run a store with the ability to make my own choices.
Helpful and beneficial workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXApril 23, 2014
A typical day at work involves an entire new selection of items, donated and purchased, with a variety of guests full of incredible imaginations and wonderful wisdom. With a total of nine employees including the store managers, my co-workers and I communicate and work effectively side by side. The hardest part of the job is figuring out if we have an item, considering we are a non-profit organization. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the eyes of a customer light up as they explain their incredible ideas for their new purchases.
Many assets working as a volunteer.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Orange City, FLSeptember 30, 2013
Work in Habitat for Humanity had many asset. I got the chanse to interact with many different people. Give time to the community. The harest part of the job was taking in loads of clothes and getting them where they need to be. The most enjoyable part was getting together at the end of the day and getting to see that we made a big progress everybody to help the community. Management were really helpful. Also gave me the chance to learn many thing that i could take on with me for my futuer.
Pros
many hands on skills.
Rewarding and humbling organization
Work Study Intern (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 3, 2013
A great organization for giving back to the community and regaining compassion for the world around you. I learned that the people receiving homes are not freeloaders getting a free ride but wanting of a clean affordable home and place to build dignity. This organization helps people regain their dignity by helping them build their home. It is a warm environment of friendship and purpose. A job that asks you to give a hand up to your fellow citizen and extend compassion to the elderly, children and our soldiers in providing shelter.
Pros
hard work
Cons
hard work
Excellent opportunity to be involved in the community while providing a hand up to those in need
Family Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXSeptember 15, 2012
I promote all our programs while recruiting families and volunteers. Along with helping families fill out paperwork, navigating the Partner Family Process, and budgeting workshops I also am in charge of all mortgage accounts and spend time working at the job site. I love getting to meet new people and help with problem solving whether it be a family budget or a program flaw.
Pros
great coworkers, great families, i really believe in the power of the programs
Cons
pay, location
Amazing Experience
Construction Trainee (Former Employee) –  Harvey, ILJanuary 30, 2015
I was in a program where they had us rehabilitate a low- income resident! A typical day was doing electrical wiring, installing circuit breakers, circuit boxes, and light switches! We also completed siding projects such as roofing and garages. the most hardest part of the job was getting the exact measurements to everything! The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the finishing project and seeing the look on the family faces when the house was finally finished!
Pros
being able to be apart of something to positive! helping someone in need.
A wonderful days of work
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 11, 2014
My day start of with cleaning up the mess that was left the day before. when things are finished being cleaned up we as a group start our job which is painting the inside and outside of the house. i learn how to use tools i never used before also how to measure certain things.my co-workers are cool never had a problem. I get along with my co-workers very well. the hardest part of my job is leaving to go home i just want to keep working. the most enjoying part of my job is getting along with my co-workers.
Fun, creative workplace for interesting marketing ideas
Marketing Committee (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, IndianaJune 2, 2014
Typical day for the committee was to meet once a week for brainstorming

I have learned how to be selfless and to give back to the community

Management was well led by Marketing Committee Manager

Co-workers were all students who attended IU Bloomington

Hardest part of the job was to brainstorm

Most enjoyable part of the job was to create an advertisement that succeeded
Pros
enjoyed making a lot of new friends within the marketing committee
Cons
we did not get paid because it was merely volunteer work
Heart warming fullfilling work with deserving families
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 10, 2013
Exciting job with great families and hardworking staff. Each day is filled with opportunities to make a difference in the lives of families. The job provided opportunities to raise money and see EXACTLY where every dime went!! The staff is committed to the mission and willing to work overtime to make sure that all projects are complete. Houston Habitat is one of 1400 diligent affiliate of Habitat for Humanity. Consequently, the brand is great.
Pros
seeing actual results of work; production of family homes and housing subdivisions
Cons
benefits on non-profit scale
fulfilling place to work in.
Warehouse, customer associate (Former Employee) –  Riverside CAJuly 10, 2015
Overall, my term at Habitat for Humanity was worthwhile. - I was kept busy loading and unloading stock and helping customers with their product questions and purchasing choices.
I learned some things about retail sales.
My co-workers were nice people and committed to the operation.
The hardest part of the job for me were the acute moments of inactivity, brought on by a lack of customers and/or lack of product to load or unload.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping a customer become satisfied with a purchase.
Pros
helping customers with their buying needs.
Cons
acute moments of inactivity.

4.4