*Donation Pick Up Driver
Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco ReStore – San Carlos, CA*
Full-Time, Non-Exempt: Tuesday-Saturday 9:30am to 5:30pm
Reports to: ReStore Assistant Manager - Operations
Location: San Carlos
The volunteers, donors and homeowners who join with us at Greater San Francisco’s Habitat for Humanity share a belief: hard work and success go hand in hand. Every day, we do what Habitat does best around the globe. But we do it right here in a very Bay Area way, by coming up with inventive solutions to our area’s expensive real estate challenges. Because when we invest in our neighbor’s quest to become a homeowner, it benefits the whole community.
The Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco ReStore operates as a retail outlet business that sells new and used home improvement and construction materials, appliances, tools and furniture to the general public. All proceeds fund Habitat homes while simultaneously repurposing construction materials that would otherwise end up as landfill.
The Driver is perhaps the most visible and personable component of the ReStore and possibly even of the affiliate. From driving the streets with the HFH GSF logo/branded truck to shaking hands with people in their homes, the Donation Pick-Up process allows many great opportunities to generate positive public relations for HFH GSF.
The Driver is responsible for screening and picking up donations in San Francisco, Marin and San Mateo Counties. The Driver will work with volunteers and ensure that all donations are received in a timely, organized, and safe manner. It is the Driver’s responsibility to coordinate and communicate effectively with the Program Coordinator, warehouse employees and volunteers regarding the nature of the donations and the related off-loading and handling requirements.
Though the ReStore utilizes job titles in the hiring process, the nature of the day-to-day operations of the ReStore demands a certain amount of proficiency in all the functions for all the employees. If the Donation Pick –Up Driver does not have a full day on the road, then he/she will be asked to help in the receiving area, assist customers in loading purchases and other duties.
HABITAT GREATER SAN FRANCISCO VALUES
Successful Greater San Francisco Habitat team members share the following characteristics:
- The belief in a hand up, not a hand out.
- A “go above and beyond” attitude—nobody here works just for a paycheck.
- You thrive on constructive feedback and have a high level of integrity.
- You do what you say you will do.
- You are a creative problem solver that works across teams.
- You love results and hate excuses.
- Leave the store by 10:30 AM for the first pick up of the day.
- Before the truck leaves to pick up donations, the Driver ensures that the truck is equipped with proper dollies, tie downs, blankets and shrink-wrap.
- The Driver is responsible for loading, securing, transporting and unloading donations. Common donations picked up include: kitchen cabinets, appliances, furniture and large doors and windows.
- Although all donations have been prescreened, sometimes the donation does not match the donor’s description or photos. Items that do not meet the ReStore’s donation criteria cannot be accepted. The Driver must explain the reason and try to give the donor an alternative resource for disposing of such items.
- As the donation truck has the HFH GSF logo, the Driver must demonstrate exemplary driving and courtesy toward others while on the road.
- Ensures and documents all donated items. If donations are picked up by only the Driver and no assistants, then the donation will be documented and verified by a second person upon return to the store.
- Work with volunteers daily. Volunteers assist the Driver in picking up donations. The Assistant Manager-Operations will send paid staff to assist the Driver only if the pick-up is very difficult.
- Train volunteers in truck safety guidelines and how to properly lift heavy donations.
- Develop relationships with volunteers to encourage them to return and become regular volunteers.
- Attend morning all-staff huddles from 9:30 am to 10:00 am if pick up schedule allows.
- Update the Program Coordinator regarding schedule changes or unforeseen circumstances so he/she may reschedule or inform donors of the delay. This keeps the ReStore in a good position to better assist unhappy/dissatisfied donors.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Achieves donation pick up satisfaction rating of 90% for donors (ReStore Assistant Manager-Operations conducts random donor phone surveys).
- Achieve volunteer satisfaction rating of 80% for ReStore volunteers (survey administered through Habitat volunteer department).
- Increase quantity of pick-ups on a monthly basis by 10%
*Other duties as assigned pertaining to the ReStore
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- This position is physically demanding so the candidate must be able to stand, squat, bend, go up and down stairs, climb in and out of a truck and lift up to 100 pounds on a regular basis.
- Must possess a Valid California Driver’s License and provide proof of a clean driving record. (Commercial Driver’s License not required).
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Must communicate effectively.
- Dependable, motivated, and good problem-solving skills.
- Familiar with driving patterns in the San Francisco, Marin and San Mateo Counties.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment and maintain a professional demeanor when working with staff, volunteers and the public.
- Good sense of humor.
- Team player.
- Ability to operate office equipment, trucks, warehouse and other equipment.
- Self-motivated, reliable and enthusiastic; able to work with and motivate people with diverse backgrounds and capabilities.
- Must be able to pass felony and misdemeanor background check.
RECOMMENDED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience operating material handling equipment.
- Experience driving a box truck.
- Moving experience.
- Knowledge of construction material.
- Minimum High School Diploma or GED, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
$15 to $16 an hour depending on experience. This full-time position offers health, dental and vision insurance, twenty paid days off, retirement and other benefits. This position is 40 hours per week.
Learn more about Habitat Greater San Francisco at www.habitatgsf.org. This position is based in San Carlos.
To apply, reply to this post by May 15, 2014. Please include “Donation Pick Up Driver- Your Last Name” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
1. Brief cover letter why you are interested in working at the ReStore in San Carlos
2. Current resume
Applications will be accepted through June 15, 2014 or until position is filled. Candidates will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
EOE: Habitat Greater San Francisco is an equal opportunity employer. Habitat Greater San Francisco strives to reflect the diverse community it serves. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco receives federal funds through Self-Help Homeownership Opportunity Program (SHOP) and is required by federal law, to the greatest extent possible, to provide job training and employment opportunities to Section 3 residents.*
*Section 3 residents are defined as public housing residents or low-income persons who live in metropolitan area or non-metropolitan counties where HUD-assisted projects are located.