Habitat Employee Reviews in United States

It was a great place to work when i first started. There a was different CEO and upper management was different. They cared about the staff.
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 10, 2016
Work load too much with not enough staff onsite. I asked for years for more help and when things weren't right I was on the line for everything even though I did what I could do with what I had. I eventually quit due to the stress.
Pros
Great beneftis
Cons
Salary, work load, not enough staff on site, upper management not realistic about onsite goals
Productive calm work place with nice people
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 8, 2015
At work we have a routine and we know what needs to be done and how to execute it. My co-workers are team players.The most enjoyable part of the job is working with my co-workers. There aren't many of us so we stick together.
Pros
Flexible schedules, most weekends off
Cons
Short breaks, no grace periods
good place to work
STOCKER (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 1, 2015
Come into work starting off with a positive attitude get involved with the community and the shoppers excellent work place with a nice size fun break room
Pros
long break
Cons
healthcare
non profit organization helping community for good hope
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2015
long time well set up non profit community organization who is helping qualified people to own home. good job well organized I am doing volunteers work love it.
Pretty decent
Habitat for Humanity Volunteer (Former Employee) –  IndianapolisSeptember 15, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not at all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company
Relaxed workplace
Head Lifeguard / Lifeguard Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 2, 2015
Management was really nice and helpful, as were my co-workers. My typical day consisted of maintaining the cleanliness, chemical balance, and safety of the pool area. I learned how to effectively train and manage a group of fellow lifeguards.
Its rewarding when you can watch a house dedication.The family has done so much to get their home.
Restore Associate (Current Employee) –  303 S. Lee Street Kingland, GA 31548July 22, 2015
A typical day consists of getting the store ready for opening and closing. Counting the till money bag to make certain we have the same amount we ended with at close. We open all doors to the public at 9am, from there we do what is necessary to assist customers, load the purchases, process donations and get then priced and out to the public
Make copies of hold, sold and other signs as needed, We explain any programs are coming, As well as sales and mark downs.
Processing donations is a large part of most days.
Pros
helping people acheve their drean
Cons
the heat and the cold
Work includes moving of furniture/building materials as needed
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashua New HampshireJune 22, 2015
I help unload the donation truck, work with various volunteers to clean and move furniture to sales floor. The hardest part of the job is the loading/unloading of appliances/furniture by myself. The business is managed by a volunteer board of directors with very little retail experience. I do enjoy working on the floor with customers but am not fond of the fact that the volunteers can come and go as they please with no real schedule of if and when they will be there.
Productive and Rewarding place to work...
Pricing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLApril 15, 2015
I started out learning how the "Re-Store" prices the items they receive through donations. By the 3rd week, I was receiving praise from my mentor, the manager of the store and all of the supervisors and dispatch personnel as to how fast I learned the routine and how I price the items such that they are reasonably priced to be appealing to the customers and therefore move the merchandise quickly to make room for more merchandise to be placed on the showroom floor for sale. Sales have increased $1000.00 to $2000.00 daily since I have started in the pricing position.
Pros
Discounts to employee purchases, All employees and volunteers have good Christian work ethics.
Cons
Little hippie shop run by hippies
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Exton, PAMarch 2, 2015
Seriously great people, and a perfect job for any student. I wholeheartedly look back with fondness, even though PA minimum wage is a joke.
Pros
low stress position, even at christmas your sanity comes first.
Cons
in a mall, windowless, no advancement.
The Introvert's Favorite Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg PAOctober 20, 2014
At this store, all employees are trained to handle the store independently. That means I was all by myself for the entire shift, handling customers and the store. Multi tasking is definitely key there, but it was great. If it wasn't seasonal, I would still be working there.
Pros
everything. would work there again
Cons
nothing.
Habitat For Humanity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 24, 2014
This was a volunteer project I participated in which taught me leadership and teamwork. It was a great experience.
Volunteer Work
VOLUNTEER COMMUNITY SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Norman, OklahomaSeptember 13, 2014
A positive environment, everyone there was volunteering their time for others.
-There wasn't anything hard about this activity, always enjoyed.
-Best part of this activity, helping others.
Pros
helping others
volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 11, 2014
assist in building homes with other volunteers, and learning different skills though assisting with various projects.
Pros
ability to help others
Cons
not having all resources
Intern construction worker for St.louis career center
Intern construction worker (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 30, 2014
Laying foundations and doing grunt work as well as working on roofs for habitat homes in the greater North St. Louis Jeffery Vander Lou neighborhood. I worked with 10 other men as an intern learning the basics of construction as well as manual labor. Hardest part of the job was probably the amount of time we spent at the job site each and every day about 5-6 days a week. Most enjoyable part was the lives we helped change by our contributions put into establishing the building and remodeling of some of those North St. Louis homes.
Pros
hands on training, internship, helped out the community
Cons
sweltering heat, lack of help from other construction groups
Model of excellence
Habitat for Humanity Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 23, 2014
Habitat For Humanity is a awesome program/organization that provides brand new homes, and/or home repairs for families in need. While I didn't earn any wages working with the company I highly enjoyed helping people help themselves. I felt/feel very blessed & fortunate to be able to possess a skill that can fix & possibly forever change people's lives. One situation in particular involved me working on the home of a single father with three children. The condition of his attic/crawl space was so dire that you could look through gaps in the ceiling & see the roof. I can only imagine how brutal his winters & summers could've been. After I completed my task I was able to guarantee that his home will feel more like Spring time all year around, & that means the world to me. On another job I assisted a construction crew who was building a roof deck on a home for paralyzed child who was homeless before H.F.H stepped in. The world deserves more companies like Habitat For Humanity.
Pros
helping people in need
Cons
n/a
Decent place to work and good people to work with
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 17, 2014
My job is based on taking care of the clothing boutique, so my typical day consisted of sorting donations, deciding what was good enough to put on the racks, steaming clothes, cleaning shoes, and organizing the store in a way that pleased customers. I learned a lot on how to manage myself, because oftentimes management could not give me a direct answer of how they wanted me to handle something. The hardest part of the job is the monotony of the same routine, and dealing with very rude and careless customers. The best part of the job is that by handling the boutique by myself, I got to make most of the decisions about how I wanted to handle things.
Pros
good opportunity for leadership
Cons
less than great management at times
Exciting work environment
CHIEF ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 9, 2014
Good company to work with and gave me a good opportunity to advance in my courier.
A day in the life of Habitat
Humanity Restore Volunteer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NCJanuary 22, 2014
A typical day at Habitat would include working with various fun people, including management, and also meeting lots of new wonderful people. During a Habitat day you might venture out to do pick-ups where you would load up donations and transport them back to the store to be processed. The items get cleaned, priced and set nicely out on the floor. During the process you can multitask and talk to customers and co-workers. The most difficult part of the job is the heavy lifting of furniture and appliances. But we use team work to get the job done. And I would have to say the most important part of the day is the wonderful and enjoyable experience of making a difference in just one persons life, if not more.
Pros
lunch-time, volunteer help, time spent with management
Cons
volunteer help can be overwhelming and a mess
Exciting and interesting place to meet and make a variety of new friends.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 14, 2013
A typical day for me started by checking the lobbies, office and laundry rooms for damage and unauthorized entry or use. Check the trash rooms and outdoor grounds. Prepare apartments for move-ins and check for work orders. I learned that the majority of the tenants are friendly and appreciative when greeted, including outside vendors. Management staff are often very complimentary and respectful when they recognize a job well done. Working with my co-workers was not much a team effort. There appeared to have been individual and segregated groups. After excessive numerous observations I never really felt a total honest and complete team was possible due to behind the scenes unethical behaviors. The hardest part was not being a union worker and openly being treated as expendable. Being ridiculed by certain co-workers was somewhat of a draw back, especially when done openly with no recourse. Another hard part was the ignorance and disrespect by certain staff when informing them of my prior experience as a former Marine Corp soldier with Military Police background. Their rude, obnoxious behavior and laughter would question their validity of being a true Loyal American, let alone confirm their mental state of ability. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my work after completion and the effort applied. I also enjoyed the expressions and resentment by some, of a job well done by myself and with pride ( priceless ). Overall working for this company was a true and rewarding experience with an exception or two. I look forward to and would enjoy returning to this organization  more... anytime, whether in the near or distant future. Honestly.  less
Pros
bonuses and overtime. nice neighborhood. plenty of restaurants.
Cons
from my personal experience and observations, unfortunately no apparent, complete team unity and true creed.