Hackensack University Medical Center

Hackensack University Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Experienced staff burnout rate at all time high!
ICU RN (Current Employee) –  Hackensack, NJJanuary 8, 2016
Most of experienced staff RN's in ICU are either gone or leaving. Float nurses and agency nurses now bear the burden of dealing with high acuity patients and minimal support!. Compensation may seem good but many consider it battle pay. Great for new nurses who want experience but ultimately leave in a matter or 3-4 years or sooner because of burnout.
Pros
Large, beautiful hospital
Cons
Patient care has now become corporate care!.
Typical day at work very busy
Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Hackensack, NJOctober 25, 2015
Hackensack University Medical Center is overall a great place to work. However it depends where do you land a job and what position you hold. It is best to read job descriptions in details before accepting an offer. The Nurses are wonderful but sometimes over worked and the workers under them can feel unappreciated at times.
Pros
Benefits are great
Triage, Insurance issues, prior auths, copay assist, billing issues
Oncology Nurse Navigator - Leukemia Division (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJOctober 1, 2015
Heavy phone work, persistence pays off, know the regulations, management is not always there, a lot to handle. The reward is in helping the patients.
Pros
good compensation package
Cons
Extremely high volume
awesome place to work
customer service (Current Employee) –  Hackensack, NJOctober 7, 2015
fun place to work, great benefits, awesome place to work. ability to grow within facility. Supportive management and alot of available opportunities.
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Hackensack, NJAugust 5, 2015
Working at HUMC has been a great experience. I've worked here for over 10 years now and I love it. The benefits are great. There are even extra perks like discounts for rental cars and vacations. I've recently experienced a tremendous loss and hundreds of employees have reached out to me for support. Even though there are over 9,000 employees at HUMC, "I feel like we are a big family.
Excellent place to work.......
Centralized Scheduling - Scheduling Coordinator (Current Employee) –  NJMay 21, 2015
Staff at this hospital facility are always willing to go out of their comfort level to assist others.

Our current management staff keeps employees very well informed when it comes to different changes occurring within the facility. Whether is be a new staff member, construction or continuing education for different areas of study.
Pros
Medical benefits are excellent and a large range of physicians in different practices.
Cons
Breaks could be a bit longer at times, especially to staff members that sit all day.
Work and colleagues excellent, but management is subpar
Staffing Coordinator/Patient Placement (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJMay 13, 2016
Once you know what your doing, the workload will seem average. You learn how to handle people of all different personalities, egos, and tempers while perfecting your professional persona. Management is awful in my experience, they continuously add new rules and policies while increasing the workload without explanation or feedback, simply on the premise that it came from 'higher up'. That makes your work seem under appreciated and your contribution small and yourself seem replaceable. The hardest part of the job was probably being held accountable for many aspects out of your control and being reprimanded for them.
Pros
Flexible Schedule, Independance
Cons
Poor Management, distant parking, local traffic
Great teaching Hospital
CT Technologist (Current Employee) –  HAckensack, NJApril 14, 2015
HackesnsackUMC is fast paced environment that keeps you on your toes. I definitely learned a lot while working here, especially working with trauma. It's a great teaching hospital and I get along great with the people I work with. Hardest part of this job would be the weekends, where you're doing the same volume of work, with less co-workers. the most enjoyable part of my job, would be my coworkers. They make a very tough day look easy we a re a team.
Pros
Distance to work. I walk to work in 7 minutes.
Cons
Not enough recognition or compensation by management for all the hard work put forth.
Great community hospital that provides excellent patinet care.
SPONSORED PROGRAMS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Hackensack, NJApril 9, 2015
A typical day at work involves meeting with researchers, reviewing and submitting grant applications, overseeing clinical trial financial operations. I've learned to manage multiple priority projects and work in a highly regulated and deadline dependent environment. My co-workers are knowledgeable, fun, reliable professionals. The hardest part of the job is working with limited resources while constantly trying to improve processes. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to provide research administrative support to the physicians and scientists.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Lack of resources
Work Environment
PACS Administrator (Current Employee) –  Westwood, NJApril 15, 2015
-Great place to work from ground-up, I was able to learn a lot in understanding what goes in bringing a hospital from scratch.
-Pleasure to work with a good set of staff that's always willing to do more than expected, always looking out for the interest of the patient.
-Hospital is always looking to improve standards of care and build better relations with the staff.
-Wish to learn more within the organization to better my career path.
Pros
Great staff, great patient care, Clean environment
Cons
Healthcare, salary
Enjoyed working as a volunteer, the staff and employees are wonderful to work with.
Volunteer-Courier (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJApril 27, 2015
I was a volunteer, so their was no compensation, but I thoroughly enjoyed working there. The other volunteers were very nice, and the other employees were always so appreciative of everything the volunteers did for them, that really made the work worth it.
Pros
They would give us a dinner honoring us every year, which was nice.
Cons
We have to pay for our meal at the cafeteria (they would give us a voucher, but it was not enough to cover the full cost of the meal).
Only a few really work
Executive Secretary - Ob/Gyn (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJJanuary 3, 2016
In my position the day was busy from the minute I stepped into my office to the minute I went home. I learned to fend for myself as others mostly depended on me. My immediate manager was a wonderful boss, however the new administration seems to have lost the meaning of patient care and is only focused on their personal financial gains. My co-workers' work ethic was much different than mine. No one ever walked into my office and found me on a personal phone call or texting on my personal devices. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the many personalities of the physicians, but I managed to always be amicable and I was well liked by all. What I most enjoyed about my position was always being asked to handle many projects and was trusted to complete them with little or no supervision; I felt that my manager and other members of his staff truly admired my abilities and my work ethics.
Pros
I was allowed to take my vacations in days rather than weeks at a time.
Cons
Sometimes being pulled in too many directions, but I managed.
Best job I ever had....
Medical Secretary/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJMarch 5, 2016
Worked within the Audiology Department, working with children and adults with hearing impairments

Large opportunities for growth, learn more about the field of Audiology.

Helped to implement the Cochlear Implant Program

Was fairly compensated for the work ethics and my performances that allowed me to grow professionally
Pros
Great Audiology staff
Review
Clinical Level III-RNC-OB (Current Employee) –  Hackensack, NJMay 27, 2015
Hackensack served as a stepping stone to becoming a strong obstetric nurse .Nurses are team players. Hardest part of the job is long day hours. Most enjoyable part of the job is being the nurse that was part of a memorable chapter of a family's life.
Pros
good salary; benefits
Cons
short breaks, occasionally no lunch
productive and fun work place
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJFebruary 17, 2016
Hackensack is a better place to work, is a teaching hospital so they teach their employees a lot and put their employees in class all the time for better care of their patients.
Pros
give their employees bonuses at the end of the year profit the hospital make
Cons
provide good health insurance for their employees
horrible place to work as well be a patient
clerical (Current Employee) –  Westwood, NJJanuary 5, 2016
This hospital is horrible. I currently work there and have been a patient there. WORST PLACE, STAY AWAY! Management doesn't even know how to manage. Insurance is terrible.
Switchboard Operator
Switchboard Operator (Current Employee) –  30 Prospect Ave, Hackensack, N.J. 07601July 31, 2015
I punch in and proceed to the office and log-on at a position. I check operator notes for any necessary change in procedures. I then begin to answer calls promptly and efficiently. I learned a lot about the hard working and dedicated employees committed to the medical care of their patients. I find management to be fair and flexible. My co-workers and I work together to provide quick and professional service. Besides enjoying my co-workers, I like to learn new aspects of my job. I find adjusting to the constant change of my scheduled tours from day to day hard to get used to.
Pros
Great Workplace
Cons
Loss of hours due to budget cuts
It was fast-paced it made the day go by fast.
Medical Assistant - Pediatric GI and Nutrition (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJSeptember 23, 2014
A typical day at the office required scheduling appointments, registration, pre-certifications, and billing and coding
The office was in order.
The co-workers were all like a family. We all got along and celebrated with each other for the holidays and birthdays
The hardest part about the job was having to be replaced after my ankle injury. The healing process was too long after the two surgeries.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the multi-tasking. There was an outlet because we worked out of two locations
Pros
breakfast and lunch meetings
Cons
losing all of the benefits after i was replaced
In-patient care
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hackensack, NJDecember 16, 2015
Hackensack University Medical Center is a great hospital. They are all about excellent patient care. this company over all cares about their employees. By far this was the best place I have ever worked in my life.
Pros
over all patient care is great. Employee satisfsction is important
fun environment with coworkers that help you succeed
Membership counsel (Current Employee) –  Maywood, NJDecember 15, 2015
A typical day at work is promo-ing, prospecting and trying to get the word out about the center. Bringing people on tour around the facility and telling them about what is involved in membership to try and get them to be a member as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hackensack University Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2