Hagerstown Community College Employee Reviews

Upper management
Employee (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDAugust 15, 2017
I was a former student so I experienced the college from both sides. The administration ruled from the top down, giving lip service to faculty led curricula.
Pros
Nice campus, Great infrastructure.
Cons
Micro-managing supervisor. Lack of serious leadership from the highest levels.
Flexible workplace
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMay 1, 2017
I enjoyed working at Hagerstown Community College because the workplace was fun, and most students were nice with me. I really liked helping students with mathematics and networking.
Pros
helps me keep my knowledges
Cons
always find ways to explain things to different people
very understanding
student worker aid (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDApril 30, 2017
I loved working at Hagerstown Comm College. Very understanding of Schedule. They work around your classes. I would tell anyone to work for HCC they are great.
Hagerstown Community College is a good community college with many good people. Unfortunately, creativity is discouraged
Director, Technical Innovation Center (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 20, 2017
I was employed at HCC for over 20 years in two different capacities; first as an hourly non-exempt staff member and later in management. The first 10 years I worked in an environment in which great latitude was given to employees and management to achieve established goals. The last 10 years under a new president was a 180 degree departure from the earlier management team.

If you like being told exactly how to accomplish a task HCC will work for you. If you want to bring new ideas to the table be aware that they may be dismissed initially but will resurface as a new presidential initiative.
Pros
generally good work force, educating is a quality mission
Cons
Management is top down with little discretion given to either VP's or mid level managers
Great Work Environment
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDOctober 25, 2016
Hagerstwon Community College is a wonderful place to work and provides an excellent environment that promotes learning. The staff and faculty are excellent.
Typical day
Computer Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJuly 5, 2016
My typical day involves entering courses into our Enterprise System. Also using Word, Excel, Access and Outlook for various other things.
Wonderful experience
Adjunct Faculty Nursing (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMay 14, 2016
Great experience teaching and sharing with student nurses. Wish there was more time spent in the classroom.
The director was very supportive and a great leader. She was also open to new ideas and suggestions and willing to allow me to implement my innovative ideas.
Pros
Great opportunity to share experience
Cons
Limited work hours
Student Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 15, 2016
Great place to work. Friendly atmosphere and always something new. Lots of different things to do on campus during each semester.
Great close-knit group, very flexible schedule and supportive/creative environment
Student Worker to the Technical Director (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDOctober 12, 2015
The people I work closely with on a day to day basis are some of the greatest people I have met in my life. My immediate supervisors are very supportive and encouraging in the work environment. Because it was a student job the work schedule was flexible and I was constantly learning new skills including stage management, lighting design, set structure, properties management, and assistant directing. At the end of my time, I have been working independently on projects and have become more of a part of a team rather than extra help.
Pros
coworkers have great sense of humor, creativity, flexibility
Cons
unpredictability in the job, only student job, administration/higher management could be alot better
Fun workplace
Student Worker Food Service (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDAugust 11, 2015
Working on campus was a great idea. They were flexible with my schedule, and worked well around my classes. Very nice people.
Pros
Weekends off, free meals under 7 dollars, good scheduling and flexibility
Great place to work while attending school
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJuly 20, 2015
Only worked there while in school. Really enjoyed tutoring. Work schedule was very flexible. Great management team. Fun place to work.
Pros
Learned a lot about english while tutoring it.
Cons
Only for current students
Productive learning environment for the instructor and students.
Biology Lab Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJuly 11, 2015
Typical work day included grading quizzes/lab reports and preparing for the following lab (which was held once a week).
I learned a lot about classroom management and preparation. I also learned to communicate more effectively with students in my lab.
Management was supportive and easily approachable.
Co-workers were very helpful and provided me with detailed notes for the labs we would conduct on a weekly basis.
Hardest part of the job was preparing for each lab.
Most enjoyable part of the job was helping the students perform each experiment.
Pros
Great educational experience. Lab environment was very productive.
Cons
Job was only offered during the spring and fall semester (Limited hours).
love to share with the college students about ASL
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDApril 28, 2015
My passion teaching share with others about Deaf Culture and ASL. I show various materials- video, storytelling or events and lecture. My goal is to see their understanding and respect our Deaf Culture plus work with their skilled in ASL. It is tough for me to look at the students' assignments- videos or lectures. I learn from their various questions because I sometimes never think about their good questions so it makes me to research the information.
Pros
passion, love to work with the students who improve their skilled in ASL
Cons
part time
Actually a cool job
I.T. Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDNovember 13, 2014
Fun and fulfilling considering it's my first non-customer service job. The I.T. department is full of really great and interesting people. The job calls for non-tech student workers but they give you a lot of tech experience working there. The hardest part of the job is physically demanding work orders or tasks but it's definitely bearable and the staff always tell you to not lift anything you aren't capable of lifting. The most enjoyable part for me is cleaning and organizing- weird, i know. But I think it means a lot more to me because you actually get recognition for the work you've done. I'm not used to be told I'm doing a great job but when they notice something they let you know you're awesome. and it's the whole department so like 5+ compliments. Woah.
Pros
Incredible staff, fulfilling work, new things to do every day, and so manylearning opportunities
Cons
Pay isn't anything serious but I'm working two jobs anyway. This is my favorite of the two.
Terrible senior administration, poor morale!
Female Harassed by co-worker (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDSeptember 18, 2014
President is known to be a "DICTATOR". Never received earned non-reporting days. Pathetic HR department. No advancement opportunities. Pay is LOW. Don't bother...
worked as a student
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDSeptember 12, 2014
Not much to say cut grass, ran a weed eater, worked in maintenance, people were friendly and it was fun.
Hagerstown Community College
Administrative Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDAugust 28, 2014
Overall for students, a good experience, but for staff, not so much. Most of the problems with HCC comes directly from senior administration, poor morale and no sense of value for employees. The students I served were the best part of the day and what kept me going. When my position was eliminated, I asked several times when my exit interview was going to be scheduled, and never received a response.
My Time As An Office Assistant Of Student Activities
Office Assistant of Student Activities (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJuly 12, 2014
My Duties include assisting in the production and distribution of Student Identification Cards.
Provides guidance to students with Parking Permit Applications.
Handle incoming telephone inquiries.
Responsible for updating and maintenance of campus bulletin boards on campus property, and provide graphics for these posters.
Meet and Greet visitors.
Handle customer and student inquiries within the student activities center.
Assist in the daily operations within the student activities center, which includes inventorying of office supplies.
Responsible for notation of all SGA, Club and Student meetings.
Coordinate School Activities Center’s planned events.

What I learned at this job is great customer service and how to be more organized.
My co-workers were very nice and they always got the job done as well as I did,No matter how hard the situation.
The hardest thing about my job was actually nothing it was very easy
The most enjoyable part of my job was helping customers andgetting to know them and talking with them about how things work.
Pros
Being around amazing people
Cons
No Healthcare
Professional and comfortable work place with advanced resourceful technology.
INTERN - ATHLETIC DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJune 20, 2014
A typical day at work required me to review and respond to emails using Microsoft outlook. Develop and respond to all student report cases. Write reviews for the Athletic Director summarizing all sports events, either baseball, basketball, volleyball, or track & field. Coordinate any special events such as banquets and tournaments. The most enjoyable part of my job was the interaction between co-workers. I also enjoyed coordination tournaments, and playing a major role in the development of scholar athlete recognition banquet.
English Tutor - Not bad
College English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMay 18, 2014
Not a bad place to work. Good benefits, good job, and always something to be done.