HAIR CLUB FOR MEN AND WOMEN Employee Reviews

Hcmw
Administrative Asistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 25, 2016
Hair Club provides a fun professional work environment with diverse clientele and employees, along with a productive and busy work flow. Developed close relationships with clients and employees.
Steady work
HAIR STYLIST (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 6, 2016
I love working with the stylists in my group.
Hair Club can be quite stressful with the schedule given and the responsibilities. Most of the time we are unable to finish everything asked in the time given.
Seems we don't have the help needed to run a smooth operation.
Love working for this company
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJune 24, 2016
I Love this job!!! I like what we offer to clients. That the company has great benefits that are affordable as well, making sure we have a scheduled lunch which rarely happened if you ever worked for a private salon. Good pay. I appreciate being paid an hourly rate on top of a commsion although it a small one it adds up very quickly. It is less stressful knowing I get paid regardless if I'm booked or not for the time I at work, but there is little gaps in schedules which makes the day fly by.
Pros
Breaks, affordable benefits, good pay, nice hours
Great client...horrible managment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 1, 2016
I worked for this company for 5 years. There was always an excuse on why I could get a raise. Any option to grow with the company was put on the back burner. To much wasted money on corporate events and meeting in exotic and expensive places for managment. Favortism was disgusting to watch. Refused to pay you salary job was posted for. Very unhappy experience with this company. Went as far a calling Human Resource and even spoke to the VP in person, I was immediately assured that my value was not important and that I was replaceable. So I left and now I'm happier than I've been in 5 years.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Everyone else
General Manager
General Manager (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 17, 2016
General Manager of New Haven location. This unique environment offers hair replacement for Men and Women. Overall manager of customer accounts, inventory of retail and specialty hair replacement.
great pay, nice schedule, terrible work environment
stylist (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, CODecember 2, 2015
The money and the schedule is fantastic! The management sucks. The manager only cares about a paycheck not the staff. Too much drama amongst the staff, as well I did not like the way they treated their customers after all the money these people pay to be a client there, they deserve to be treated better.
Pros
schedule, pay
Cons
management, staff, cleanliness, drama (with staff and clients) hr won't protect your safety!!
The staff was great and worked together as a team.
Surgery Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 11, 2015
Working with Men/Women that had hair growth issues. Going over out patient surgery obtaining medical history taking vital signs assisting doctor with surgeries setting up rooms cleaning and autoclaving instruments. making follow up appointments.
Pros
being able to travel to different offices and states was a great experience.
Cons
The pay wasn't very good and neither were the benefits.
Zero Stars out 5!!! Don't waste your time!! Run!!
hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OklahomaSeptember 1, 2015
High turnover rate for a reason! Pay is nowhere near enough for the mental anguish the clients and management put you thru daily! Will NEVER recommend this company to other stylists!
Pros
NONE
Cons
TOO MANY TO LIST
Undesirable company to work for
Stylist (Former Employee) –  East brunswick, njMay 27, 2015
Not a good job for anyone in the cosmetology field. This company does not take your professionalism seriously and I have even been compared to as a waitress and told I should be paid as one. The center is absolutely filthy and you have to stay and clean before going home at the end of a long tiring shift. Management at the center was very immature/unprofessional and frequently rude to stylists and clients. No room for growth despite what they promise at hire. No raises, and they continuously find ways to take away any commissions and incentives. Years later, you will walk away making far less than you started with. And lets not forget the non compete contract they make you sign which has seriously unreasonable conditions. If you try to leave, they try to scare you into thinking you can't work anywhere else to trap you into staying there and making next to nothing. They only care about one thing, making as much money as possible, and paying you as little money as possible. Staff and even clients at the center I worked at were leaving as fast as they could run for the door!
Pros
None to speak of
Cons
unprofessional, unreasonable contracts, lowest pay in the field, bullies
Build you up with false promises
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 21, 2015
This company has very strong tenure, and they get no reprocusions for any short comings. Management constantly leaves you alone after hours with clients & they run it as there own personal sorority with an unmeasured amount of caddiness.

This place has ever-changing high stress and a lot is put on you as an employee to get done in a short amount of time, and if you run into an issue, its still on you to work thru it. Teamwork is not equal on any side of the business.

The hardest part of the job was watching someone become upset because of the hair system not being right, shedding excessively and with no quick options to replace, or even worse, watch the client cry or get angry because of changed finances/prices and the management holds strong to their sales goals. Unfortunately, not every client is treated equally.

The best things about this job was being about to see the transformation of someone and the way they hold their head up proud because of there new look. Some of the obstacles that a client would have and seek out Hair Club consist of disease, disorders, accidents, or hereditary loss. Men, woman, and even children of all ages would come in and leave completely transformed and with a new zest for life.
Pros
Helping clients build confidence
Cons
Sold a dream, once you start, its a costly maitenance you can not stop; tenture takes precedence over all, no exceptions!
shady place to work
stylist (Former Employee) –  Des Moines,IaFebruary 5, 2015
There is favoritism with senior stylist and management. ...senior stylist take all the clients no room for new stylist,short staffed and no clientele .
Pros
set schedule
Cons
short breaks, daily meetings, pay at the end for travel, low clientele
Excellent clientelle and team but management is a different issue- Unethical;
Head Stylist (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WADecember 14, 2014
This was my first time working for a corporation. What impressed me the most was during my interview I was told my main priority as a stylist was to help the client. The client comes first at all costs. That is something that I truly believe in so immediately I felt this was where I belonged. Not as much gossip as the average salon or at least I thought. Huge variety of clients from all walks of life. I immediately notice favoritism towards certain employees which can be understandable when it comes to seniority. The issue is many of the senior stylist hoard clients and build a general fear in the about going to anyone else. After I overcame this obstacle I realized that certain stylist were in heavy contact with the corporate leaders, which I viewed as a good thing. The issue with this is that only few are encouraged to do this. The corporate reps would visit from time to time to give us private interviews on management and other employees. I thought this was interesting because even though these interviews are supposedly private the manager in my salon would listen outside of the door, ruining any chance of confidentiality. Like most corporations, numbers are the most important thing and I realized this company was unethical when I saw on several occasions finically unstable people being lied to and taken advantage of by being told to spend more. Many people don't even know what service is being offered to them and assume it is a surgical procedure and later find out they are buying a variation of a wig they can be purchased anywhere for pennies on the hairclub dollar. Many  more... people are people are also told they are not due a full refund if unsatisfied when in fact they are. Hairclub will even deduct money from your paycheck if their deceptive plan does not work and the client decides to leave the first six months. The gossip comes from the management mainly, and when your are confronted about so called confidential information your well aware who is talking. This company had the potential to be what its originators hoped for, but instead clients constantly have their self esteem attacked and are made to believe they are less if they decide the free themselves of this service. I believe the customer comes first. I believe advancement opportunities should be available. This company takes in hundreds of thousands of dollars at each location every month and this machine revolves around its stylist but yet they make little to nothing. Everyone other than the stylist are send on trips and cruises to celebrate profits. Stylist receive a $50 gift card for Christmas and 50 cent pocket mirrors for employee appreciation. You get vacation time but you will always be made to feel guilty for taking time off. Breaks and lunches are hit and miss. Some managers will make you clock off even if you don't have lunch for legal purposes. Complaining to HR will get you nowhere- there have been very legitimate complaints filed from my former salon that had no disciplinary actions. Raises- 10-15 cents if that. The average stylist is making what a full time server would make at applebees with tips, but yet "high end" is constantly stressed. The hair quality has gone down EXTREMELY- consistency is always an issue. Management talks very bad and unprofessionally about clients. People are serviced who should not be. Stylist are overworked and get in trouble for overtime at some locations. The average service take 1:15- many appointments are reduced by half the time. If your will to buy, they will sell. Even if it doesn't fit look natural or complement your current look.- Positives. The styling team is usual very close. The stylist and the corporation are very separate. The stylist have hands on relationships with the clientele so it makes since why they care more. I benefited from working for this company because they used to offer monthly training which has now been cut for budgets. I met several smart successful people and I learned that I cannot work for a company who does not respect their employees and does not put the customer first.  less
Pros
the clients
Cons
those who are in charge
productive and fun workplace with traveling
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 11, 2014
Greeting and placing patients
Obtaining the surgery consent form
Setting up and maintaining the surgery room
Take and record vital signs
Setting up the surgical tray
Assist doctor during the surgery(hair transplant surgery
Take the skin specimen and dividing under the microscope by the single hair follicles(1,-2,- or 3 hair follicle)
Placement the follicles into recipient area
Providing pre-op and post-up instructions
Setting up the follow-up appointments
Suture removal procedure
Utilize PC to enter and retrieve data
Cons
healthcare
Wonderful team environment and sense of family
Membership Advisor/Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLAugust 12, 2014
Has a great work life balance and wonderful team spirit, very family like feel. Toughest part is dealing with difficult clients while also respecting the limits & abilites of your job title within the company. Loved the schedule and loved my co-workers.
Laborious, hectic, stressful, poor leadership
Hair stylist (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CaMay 25, 2014
First, you will undergo an arduous hiring process. There is and never will be anything in cosmetology, that will prepare you for what is in store for you in this position. It is a contradiction of everything you've learned, you will not be treated as the professional you are. Stylists are even considered subordinate to the receptionist. You will be working under a tyrant with zero knowledge of cosmetology.
Pros
Arduous off site training in hairpiece application and working with adhesives and solvents
Cons
Required to clean foul hairpieces by hand, and apply them in tight time constraints, sinks backing up, order mix ups, general disorganization is common place.
Never a dull moment
New Client Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orange, CAFebruary 17, 2014
Fun, unique environment. Great relationships made with clients almost feels like family at times. Great for learning. Wide range of personalities, corporate, administration and hair stylist working as a team.
Pros
set schedule
Cons
set schedule Tuesday- Saturday
Possibly a good company but local management completely inept
Membership Advisor (Former Employee) –  San DiegoDecember 15, 2013
Cons – An absolute joke of a manager in my local center. A complete disconnect between upper level management and local center (lack of) management. Clients pulling me aside to express their concern because the center manager is so frazzled & unengaging. The manager, along with the initial sales person, are so focused on covering their tails that glossing over facts & placing blame are their tactics. Lack of support from upper level management. Failure of upper level management to gather truth or even tackle the problem at its source. I knew after my 1st day of "observing" that the place was in dire straits, but ignored my instinct. This knowledge & observing of a sinking ship was validated on my 2nd "observing" day, over the weekend at their nat'l convention & everyday following while training in other--successful centers over the next 2 weeks. Again, I ignored my instincts. Being told every step on the way that I would be a great support for the inept manager. Said manager was actually congratulated while at nat'l convention for having me new on staff. Plane ride to & from nat'l convention gave me a chance to listen to the stylist supervisor talk about how ineffective the center manager is/was, as well as her chiming in throughout weekend about how the company as a whole didn't have much respect for the center manager or his ability to lead & manage successfully. Having kept all of this to myself was a huge mistake. I wondered why, in training at other (successful) centers, when it was mentioned that I'd be working for this particular center manager, people would smirk & knowing  more... looks were exchanged between other co-workers. How can a center losing $$, with a lack of solid (& knowledgable) leadership, poor closing percentage, poor moral & untrusting clients suddenly be blamed on someone working a total of 13 days in the center? The manager's answer to everything is to give free product. Because he is so painstakingly slow on the computer, he ends up just giving the product away, simply because he can't properly check someone out; "Here, this is my gift to you. I don't want you to have to wait any longer". Stylists not on time--after clients sat in waiting room for almost 10 minutes, his big idea was to go & get them & say "I'm going to take you back. Your stylist is pulling in the parking lot right now" Sad to say, he has absolutely no idea what he doesn't know. Interestingly enough, his most common phrase to me (before I got into the center & obviously brought out his every insecurity) was how he was going to learn so much from me & all of my management experience--being that he had absolutely none. My 1st full day in my center in my new role, my manager didn't even talk to me until the last 3 hours. When passing the center manager in the hallway, he usually ducks his head & doesn't even acknowledge your presence. When my facial expression showed concern for this behavior, a fellow co-worker offered "Don't worry, you're now one of us. He'll ignore you or even be a bit curt & then he'll want to come up to you to get a high-five & tell you 'You're awesome'. You're one of us now". After that 1st day in the center, I had to pull aside the manager & the stylist supervisor to suggest that if we each talk separately in our AM meeting it will be much more effective. This, of course, was not only misunderstood, but also met with push back. I had all the signs shown to me, but believed in the greater good. The 2 in control of that center are the weakest (broken) links & will be what continues to bring that center down to its knees. 12 days in the center, in my role resulted in 4 upgrades, 2 converted onto programs and a 2nd surgery sale (that, of course someone threw a fit over & had it taken away from me). In my book, that's success. 12 days & I had clients requesting the number & address for corporate so they could express their concern upon learning I'd been let go. My biggest piece of advice to ANYONE coming into the company is to not trust a single person--NO ONE. The way to make it, at least in my local center, is to CYA!  less
Pros
Possibly the earning potential
Cons
Incompetent local management & clueless upper level management
your career OWNED by a company
former hairstylist 16 yrs (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 5, 2013
Great job security if you plan on retiring there. Usually no room for advancement or raises.the company owns you if your on the clock or not. Your commisions are a pay day loan.
Pros
set schedule, insurance benefits
Cons
cant trust anyone.everyone wants to get ahead at all cost.
Enjoyed being the first friendly face clients saw.
Administrative Assistant (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Rye Brook, NYAugust 21, 2013
I opened up the front desk daily by counting and setting up the cash bank. Pulled all client files and set up daily schedules for stylists. Greeted all patients, received payments and set up their future appointments. Conducted private consultations with new clients/patients. Kept inventory and guest area supplied. I loved working with the stylists and being their liaison with the clients and corporate office. I pretty much was responsible for keeping the office running smoothly.
Discontent
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Elmwood Park, NJMarch 11, 2013
Have been looking to advance within the company for a good amount of time now without acknowledgement from upper management. Need to be earning more and have not been given any options for advancement or solutions. Management lacking initiative and mildly holds others accountable for their performance. Ongoing issues without resolution.
Pros
steady, stable
Cons
boring, redundant, frustrating

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HAIR CLUB FOR MEN AND WOMEN. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6